ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs DUKE GAME THREAD

Don't think so. I bet we see each other 3 times again this year. Very likely we end up a 2 or 3 seed and you guys a 6 or 7. I expect both teams to be playing better ball in March.

This year i just hope we can split with them but even that would be tough. For us to win we need everybody to show up and hit shots.

Who will guard Bagley?

Gary, what you got? The keys to winning.

I may DVR this one so I can sleep and watch it after work the next day. I don' t see how it will not get out of control they do well , the very thing we can't stop.

Reality says this is an awful awful matchup for us. I just don’t see how we can defend their 2 freshman bigs. And we all know one of their guards will have a career shooting day against us.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel
It will be interesting for sure. If Roy starts the small lineup (I'm assuming he will) you will see Maye/Johnson trying to guard Bagley/Carter down low, but then at the other end you got Carter/Bagley trying to chase them around the 3 point line. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, but ultimately I think it comes down to if you guys are hitting 3's or not.

I don't think we go small. Will need a really good shooting performance from outside and one of the youngins to have a standout game. A spark from Seventh returning would help too as a small x-factor.

I want to see Theo penetrating to the basket and going strong. I think he can do that against their defense and maybe get Bagley and Carter in some foul trouble.His penetration could even lead to some kick outs for 3 and let's hope we're hitting them. And PLEASE defend the damn 3!!!!

Reactions: FranktheHeel
What concerns me is their strength goes directly to our weakness, front court. It will be vital that we not allow Trent and Tripster to get hot and just as vital that we shoot well from the outside. Duke can get a bit to involved in feeding Bagley, if we can keep him shooting mid range jumpers and off the boards, will really help but Carter is a beast inside as well, gonna be hard to play small ball against both of them and neither will come out of the game for long.

Simply said, we just can not afford to over help to deep with our guards, if we do Trent and Tripster will heat up and this one will not be pretty. We have to take care of the ball. limit the TOs and kenny & Cam will need to hit some to loosen things up on Joel and Luke. Just IMO, this just is not a good match up for us our margin for error is much less than theirs.

Is it me or is the UNC/Dook hype video that ESPN shows always biased toward Dook highlights, past and recent.. where as most of our highlights seems to be more of the past than recent moments. And it doesn't appear that they update the video much over the years.

Who will guard Bagley?

Alternate Sterling and Brooks on him in the post on defense .. let him have his 30+ and be done with it. Stop collapsing off the 3 point shooters and make them shoot with a hand in their face. On offense the key is run run run and ATTACK THE RACK .. their matador defense is holier than the Pope on a good day and they could get in foul trouble pretty quick if the game is called fairly cause from what little I've seen of them they play "position-less" defense with their arms (feet in gaysons case) . They use no bench and them 3 pt. shooters will loose their legs as the game goes on. They just got beat by Saint Johns people .. they can and will be beat by UNC Thursday night 88-81 ..jmho

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Alternate Sterling and Brooks on him in the post on defense .. let him have his 30+ and be done with it. Stop collapsing off the 3 point shooters and make them shoot with a hand in their face. On offense the key is run run run and ATTACK THE RACK .. their matador defense is holier than the Pope on a good day and they could get in foul trouble pretty quick if the game is called fairly cause from what little I've seen of them they play "position-less" defense with their arms (feet in gaysons case) . They use no bench and them 3 pt. shooters will loose their legs as the game goes on. They just got beat by Saint Johns people .. they can and will be beat by UNC Thursday night 88-81 ..jmho
I like your game plan.

I would like to see us get physical with Bagley and Carter. If Sterling or Garrison get beat, foul them hard. No ticky tack fouls and no and-1's. Our whole team, but especially our bigs, must be very aggressive. If we are tentative, they will beat our brains in.

On paper, this is a mismatch. We must counter with intensity, rebounding, aggressive drives to the hoop, and accurate shooting from the FT line and from behind the arc.

Last edited:
I would like to see us get physical with Bagley and Carter. If Sterling or Garrison get beat, foul them hard. No ticky tack fouls and no and-1's. Our whole team, but especially our bigs, must be very aggressive. If we are tentative, they will beat our brains in.
My uncle: "I'd tell Brooks, Manley and Huffman if they don't foul out they haven't done their job."

When I visited I think I went to Hudson Grille for one of our football games. There was a decent UNC section upstairs with a big screen.
Yep I think I remember going there a few times. Couldn't remember the name of it. I'm sure it's still a Tar Heel spot. I believe I watched the Villanova championship game there. I think that's where I will be Thursday. Thanks gauchoheel!

Reactions: gauchoheel
We will try our small ball as we have been using it for a while. St. Johns beat them with a small(er) ball lineup. Made Bagley and Carter chase out to the perimeter and then cover a cutter. And we have to rebound well especially offensive for the second chance, of course defensively too, limit them.
All obvious I know but we can win. Play hard, play smart and play together.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Is it me or is the UNC/Dook hype video that ESPN shows always biased toward Dook highlights, past and recent.. where as most of our highlights seems to be more of the past than recent moments. And it doesn't appear that they update the video much over the years.

What annoys me is how much they show the Capel half court shot. They realize UNC ended up winning that game right?

700_17512_lg.gif

Reactions: Archer2
And the freaking dspn machine is working overtime. Interviewing Zion who of course was talking about "the brotherhood" and ESPN was eating it up. When will you get a viral dunk in college. What makes coach K so great.... Was it the players that he coached for the Olympic team that swayed you... Ugh

And the freaking dspn machine is working overtime. Interviewing Zion who of course was talking about "the brotherhood" and ESPN was eating it up. When will you get a viral dunk in college. What makes coach K so great.... Was it the players that he coached for the Olympic team that swayed you... Ugh

It is what it is . .

We will try our small ball as we have been using it for a while. St. Johns beat them with a small(er) ball lineup. Made Bagley and Carter chase out to the perimeter and then cover a cutter. And we have to rebound well especially offensive for the second chance, of course defensively too, limit them.
All obvious I know but we can win. Play hard, play smart and play together.

It is what it is . .
Yes, it is. And that's disgusting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT