ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Michigan on Wednesday 28 November

Roy Williams always gets the most out of his players when it really counts. It's his team and he knows exactly what he's doing. It's funny to me watching people here go bananas about the lineups. it happens every year.

The man has 3 National Championships, 5 Final Fours, since 2003. I have full confidence in his abilities.
That means he missed 12 Championships and 10 Final Fours.

How can you possibly have faith in a serial loser like that?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Our best option? You wouldn't have an actual clue...[/QUOTE

So you are telling me small ball isn’t our best option? Tell me our best option then. I can assure you anything contrary to small ball is the minority here and I can bet our season that Roy continues to go small sooner rather than later. You are beyond ridiculous.

And the fact that we don’t have a single big man with a pulse on our roster shows that we are playing small ball at some level
Regardless right now. Our starting lineup now with maye and brooks is small. You are clueless my friend. You just run around and say ridiculous things, don’t provide any support to it and then flee. I’ll wait for you to show your stupidity with a post about a bigger lineup that is our best option.

(But you wont. You will sidestep your ridiculous assertation that small ball isn’t our best option with what we have this year because even you aren’t that stupid. You are just unobjectice and irrational.)

Last edited:
WoW, what a thread, I see this every single season, threads like this, and every single season I see them my reaction is the same, guess the onkly thing this one is missing is Roy saved to many time outs! LOL

Based on what you see right now we have 2 choices, we can either give up on our big men and go exclusively to small ball and say hello to teams like Texas A&M last season or we can try to get our big men better now by investing them with PT so they can be more productive later season, which is and IMO should be Roy's default position.

Funny, while so many others are calling for Roy to reduce his rotations NOW, I find myself on the other side of the fence wanting him to actually open up his rotations a little bit more cause I do think Huff needs a chance to bring us some physical play inside the paint. I would like to see some extended periods with 7th at the point and Coby at the 2, I would like to see some Cam at the 2 with Naz at the 3, some Naz at the 4 with a bigger man than Luke at the 5.

I will say this, rotations that UIMO I have seen to much of is BRob, Manley, Brooks, and 7th on the floor together with Naz or kenny (or really any combination with BRob/Manley/Brooks/7th all on the floor together because there is little to no offensive punch there). I like 7th on the floor with a scorer at the 2 AND 3 so I would like to see some Coby at the 2 with Naz and/or Cam at the 3, that is some scoring punch that may cost a little defensively but it isn't as if we are great defensively with the starters we have to the ones folks seem to want.

Look our front court and specifically our 2 soph big men that get the PT are soft, they are just not intimidating big men. I to the eyes of many have been pretty hard on Luke and I realize that but I do expect a lot from our senior hugely experienced big man that many saw as the best player in the ACC coming in to this season. But Luke is not soft, he is vertically challenged for a UNC big man but he ain't soft and he plays really smarter than he gets credit for. Luke is not supposed to be able to block shots but he does, he is not suppose to get double digit rebounds but he does, hell he was never supposed to be a factor player for us but he is. He just is not getting much help from his soph team mates, specifically Manley and to a lesser extent Brooks, I would draw a red circle around Manley at this point and send him a message. The way I send that message is I would at least for now switch the PT between he and Huffman.

The other real problem I see is BRob, while I do see him working harder on the defensive end than he has in past seasons the TO bug has seemed to live with him, his decision making just has not been good. Roy has invested PT in him as the fist 2 guard off the bench and like the investment in Manley PT, the good returns are just not there nor do I see the progress in that direction. I see a lot of folks fussing about Platek PT but that kid is on average 4mins a game compared to 10 for BRob and most of Plateks are skewed higher by playing in games we were up big in, kid isn't getting but a minute or 2 in bigger games so I don't understand why so many are so down on a kid they barely see play?

Personally, I would rather see Platek get more minutes than BRob at least right now, rather see Coby, Leaky, or Cam move to the 2 when kenny sits more than Platek. This is not a reflection on the kids, just a reflection of the games I see and how they have so far performed in them. And in truth, maybe a more dramatic shakeup would help as in maybe bringing Kenny off the bench and sliding Coby over to the 2, when 7th comes out slide Coby back to the 1 and bring kenny in. I want to see either 7th or Coby on the floor at all times, leaky and KJ can cover for brief minutes if one of those fellas get foul trouble.

Reactions: Archer2 and TheGLOV
I do find it strange the big man trashing going on. Does not match their actual play. Our big men are raw, but could certainly play more. Last year Manley played 10 minutes per game, and did not play in mop up time.

He was #1 per 40 in points, rebounds, blocks while shooting 57% from the floor and 70% from the foul line. He may be out of position on defense, but it can't be as dramatic people are suggesting if he's leading the team in defensive rebounds and blocks.

10 mpg is a big enough sample to tell us he could do this for at least 20 minutes per game this year.

So why all the hyperbole on our big men. I think it largely comes from the crowd desperate to see Nas start.

I'll certainly agree Nas should get more time, but this should come from minutes at the 2-4, which would allow Sterling time to gain confidence at the 5.

I do find it strange the big man trashing going on. Does not match their actual play. Our big men are raw, but could certainly play more. Last year Manley played 10 minutes per game, and did not play in mop up time.

He was #1 per 40 in points, rebounds, blocks while shooting 57% from the floor and 70% from the foul line. He may be out of position on defense, but it can't be as dramatic people are suggesting if he's leading the team in defensive rebounds and blocks.

10 mpg is a big enough sample to tell us he could do this for at least 20 minutes per game this year.

So why all the hyperbole on our big men. I think it largely comes from the crowd desperate to see Nas start.

I'll certainly agree Nas should get more time, but this should come from minutes at the 2-4, which would allow Sterling time to gain confidence at the 5.

I hope you do not see what I have said as trashing any of our players, certainly not what I am trying to do. But Manley has to play better, a lot better and with a year of experience as well as being much better conditioned this past off season, it is not unacceptable to expect more from him that was expected last season. Meaning, not making the same mistakes, meaning having more skill development, meaning being more invested in this team as opposed to a new comer just trying to fit in.

To me Manley is the real key to this team, he has the size and length to be able to be a rim protecting big man that could alter anything inside the paint. He has the ability to develop a couple of back to the basket go to moves proven by his mid range touch and his free throw shooting, touch he has, so transfer that touch to a jump hook and a drop step counter? Telling you right now if manley can play his position, does not have to be great just steady this team can be a beastly team to handle. But that is not what is happening right now, maybe it will in coming games but it has not been so far and it is throwing everything else out of rythem, forcing rotations to cover for him and opening up guys for wide open looks on us which we all hate to see. Not discussing that is to me denial and that ain't just a river in Egypt!

I hope you do not see what I have said as trashing any of our players, certainly not what I am trying to do. But Manley has to play better, a lot better and with a year of experience as well as being much better conditioned this past off season, it is not unacceptable to expect more from him that was expected last season. Meaning, not making the same mistakes, meaning having more skill development, meaning being more invested in this team as opposed to a new comer just trying to fit in.

To me Manley is the real key to this team, he has the size and length to be able to be a rim protecting big man that could alter anything inside the paint. He has the ability to develop a couple of back to the basket go to moves proven by his mid range touch and his free throw shooting, touch he has, so transfer that touch to a jump hook and a drop step counter? Telling you right now if manley can play his position, does not have to be great just steady this team can be a beastly team to handle. But that is not what is happening right now, maybe it will in coming games but it has not been so far and it is throwing everything else out of rythem, forcing rotations to cover for him and opening up guys for wide open looks on us which we all hate to see. Not discussing that is to me denial and that ain't just a river in Egypt!

I wasn't referring to anyone specific. I agree Manley hasn't played as well this year, which to me looks like a confidence issue. He is raw still, but despite that has the ability to play center well enough. I also agree he's the key this year. We could play very well as a small ball team, but we are MUCH better with a rim protector and guy who can pull down rebounds without perfect positioning.

And our top 6 can still get 25-30 per game even with Sterling starting. It is not either or with respect to Nas' minutes.

I wasn't referring to anyone specific. I agree Manley hasn't played as well this year, which to me looks like a confidence issue. He is raw still, but despite that has the ability to play center well enough. I also agree he's the key this year. We could play very well as a small ball team, but we are MUCH better with a rim protector and guy who can pull down rebounds without perfect positioning.

And our top 6 can still get 25-30 per game even with Sterling starting. It is not either or with respect to Nas' minutes.

Go back and re-watch a game if you can or watch out for this the next game we play, I want you to notice How Manley spreads his feet for things like set ups or even blocking out for rebounds. I want you to notice specifically are his feet CONSISTENTLY spread inside or outside of his shoulders. As I am sure you can guess, reason I ask this is about balance, establishing a solid base that allows you to have solid balance, you tell me what you see. I see his feet inside of his shoulders a lot.

Want to see something really interesting, watch Huffman box out his man. I saw him in one o four games this season spread out and box out his man, he started boxing him out about a step out of the paint and I swear he boxed him out and refused to release his box out all the way to the freaking side line! I had to laugh at that but his guy was not gonna get that rebound for damn sure! LOL

Go back and re-watch a game if you can or watch out for this the next game we play, I want you to notice How Manley spreads his feet for things like set ups or even blocking out for rebounds. I want you to notice specifically are his feet CONSISTENTLY spread inside or outside of his shoulders. As I am sure you can guess, reason I ask this is about balance, establishing a solid base that allows you to have solid balance, you tell me what you see. I see his feet inside of his shoulders a lot.

Want to see something really interesting, watch Huffman box out his man. I saw him in one o four games this season spread out and box out his man, he started boxing him out about a step out of the paint and I swear he boxed him out and refused to release his box out all the way to the freaking side line! I had to laugh at that but his guy was not gonna get that rebound for damn sure! LOL

Yeah. I can definitely picture a couple time's he's boxed out near the 3 pt line. You go big guy.

Idk why people point out Texas A and M. We really only lost to them because they outshot their average from 3 drastically and we undershot our average from 3 drastically. Otherwise we probably win that game.

Idk why people point out Texas A and M. We really only lost to them because they outshot their average from 3 drastically and we undershot our average from 3 drastically. Otherwise we probably win that game.
Texas A&M also got very physical with UNC in the tourney and that was the difference. They didn't punch back until it was way too late. Just like against Michigan and Texas. You let the other team be the aggressor , it will have a funny way of making a less gifted offensive team seem more gifted on that given night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT