ADVERTISEMENT

VA game question

theslickster

Junior
Mar 24, 2004
I live 3 hours away. I've never gone to a game without a ticket. For you locals that go to many more games than me, how would you rate my chances of getting one ticket outside the Dean Dome? When I've gone, I've seen a few tickets for sale. But, I've never really paid that much attention either. Plus, I make my walk from the parking garage to the Dean Dome about an hour and a half before tip so maybe guys aren't even trying to sell that early.

I've only actually bought tickets outside a couple of times, but I've never been to a game and not seen some for sale. I don't think you'll have a problem getting tickets. Cost is a separate question; they'll likely carry a premium as the team is highly ranked and our remaining home games are important ones against other highly ranked opponents, including duke. For many games you can get tickets at or below face value but I don't think that's going to be the case here.

Last edited:
Isn't ESPN College Gameday in the house for the UVa game? If so, that's going to increase the cost of tickets outside the stadium - substantially, I would imagine.

I've bought tickets outside many times, so that shouldn't be an issue. You could always try stubhub if you would prefer to have a ticket before the game. As others have mentioned the price will probably be higher because of the opponent. If price is a concern then you might be able to get one cheaper if you wait until right at tip off. You can sometimes find some scalpers still trying to sell and it will be cheaper because they don't have a choice unless they want to lose money. Of course you would probably miss the first few minutes of the game though.

ETA: I just looked at stubhub and the cheapest ticket is $125 before fees. I'm sure you could find something cheaper at the game.

I've bought tickets outside many times, so that shouldn't be an issue. You could always try stubhub if you would prefer to have a ticket before the game. As others have mentioned the price will probably be higher because of the opponent. If price is a concern then you might be able to get one cheaper if you wait until right at tip off. You can sometimes find some scalpers still trying to sell and it will be cheaper because they don't have a choice unless they want to lose money. Of course you would probably miss the first few minutes of the game though.

ETA: I just looked at stubhub and the cheapest ticket is $125 before fees. I'm sure you could find something cheaper at the game.

Whew! That's steep! Thanks, man!

Have bought tickets right after tip for 1/2 of face value before. Not for key conference match up. Did get Moo tickets lower level for face value right at tip. Sat next to the scalper, lol.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
Also look for families or Blue Hairs trying to unload just one. They will usually get closer to face value or below. I bought $10 ACC tix at times from families that had someone cancel at the last minute. If you are near any of the parking lots you can find some for sale there, but there will be plenty close to the Dome. Watch peeps getting off the buses also for peeps trying to sell one.

TPF is correct, look for the Mom and Dad with a kid or two, also near the bottom of the steps there used to be a couple of guys that worked there, and usually had a handful of tickets. Stay away from them. Checking the busses is also a good tip. Make a small sign or have your hand up indicating need, 1, 2 or so on.
Also, on the Game Day thing, they will actually be on air in the morning and the game is 8:15pm. Weird. But they will also be there during the game.
Best game day experience, dook v. Carolina, and the game day group was Digger, Bilas, Hubert and the ESPN guy (slips my mind just now), when they would come in crowd would grumble over Digger, then boo politely with some applause for Bilas but when Hubert walked in the place went nuts and you could see his smile from one end of the arena to the other, special times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT