ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (Pitt game 2)...

Agreed, we got good looks for our best shooter. He had an awful shooting night, great looks. Also to the "why go to Mando" crowd on the last travel, I get it he was bad at recognizing the double, and is a poor passer, but I would of chose to go threw him as well. He hesitated and they locked him up, resulting in not getting a shot up with the walk. I didn't like the result, but I liked the the set up.
I didn't like it because I had 39 min plus of proof that it wasn't the best option on THIS NIGHT. I wanted to see a high ball screen from Nance for Love going downhill, and I would have told him in the timeout " Attack the basket" then crash with Nance and Leaky behind the play. I would have anchored Bacot on the opposite box for the drop off.
I didn't say all this after the fact, If you were to revisit the game thread I said to set up Caleb going downhill during the timeout before they broke huddle.
Not that it matters, I just didn't get good vibes from Mando all night. I commented many times in the thread about how bad his hands were last night. Looked like he was handling noodles.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I didn't like it because I had 39 min plus of proof that it wasn't the best option on THIS NIGHT. I wanted to see a high ball screen from Nance for Love going downhill, and I would have told him in the timeout " Attack the basket" then crash with Nance and Leaky behind the play. I would have anchored Bacot on the opposite box for the drop off.
I didn't say all this after the fact, If you were to revisit the game thread I said to set up Caleb going downhill during the timeout before they broke huddle.
Not that it matters, I just didn't get good vibes from Mando all night. I commented many times in the thread about how bad his hands were last night. Looked like he was handling noodles.
I will add, that I commented on the game thread in 4 corners, not Radar.

I will add, that I commented on the game thread in 4 corners, not Radar.
I will agree that when we need to create Caleb is the only real option we have. I see no problem with setting it up for that as you called.

With the time to set up a look I think they tried to move the defense then swing it to Mando to give him room to operate. It did not work, he hesitated and they collapsed. He is not natural in feeling the release on a double.

If it was set for Caleb attacking, many here would of screamed Caleb playing hero ball, but I hear ya. I would not have had a problem with it, but I did not have a problem with the ball movement prior to going through Mando either.

Reactions: tarwhiz
I will agree that when we need to create Caleb is the only real option we have. I see no problem with setting it up for that as you called.

With the time to set up a look I think they tried to move the defense then swing it to Mando to give him room to operate. It did not work, he hesitated and they collapsed. He is not natural in feeling the release on a double.

If it was set for Caleb attacking, many here would of screamed Caleb playing hero ball, but I hear ya. I would not have had a problem with it, but I did not have a problem with the ball movement prior to going through Mando either.
Agree with that, what did you think about Pete clearing to the other side of the court? So now Mandos 4 passing options are all either behind him or to top of the key, which is an automatic denial in that circumstance.
Pete should have cut straight to the front of the rim to occupy Hinson, then Mando would have had a better chance of making a move.

Agree with that, what did you think about Pete clearing to the other side of the court? So now Mandos 4 passing options are all either behind him or to top of the key, which is an automatic denial in that circumstance.
Pete should have cut straight to the front of the rim to occupy Hinson, then Mando would have had a better chance of making a move.
Makes sense, Mando is very mechanical after an entry though he likes to back down and operate. Occupying the initial help diving may have given him that chance, but Pitt may have doubled anyway and rotated to Nance knowing Mando is not very instinctive with the quick read to dish. If that scenario happens you clog the area. I think they wanted to move the dee and have him catch and make an aggressive move with space as the double was coming with Nance as a quick kick out option?

If Nance just clears I think they attack Mando the same, and doubt Mando will read it in time and Nance will be a non option.

Everyone now knows that if you play hard physical ball against Carolina, we can get flustered.

We either need to start paying the refs better or figure out how to hold our composure through adversity.

for the last 4-5 years i finally have started to realize how opponents felt (and why there were “abc” fans years ago) with these games UNC gives away over and over now. Dean coached teams always found a way to win these game’s somehow some way. One of the reasons i fell in love as a kid with Carolina basketball. if they are going to stay in the family with coaches, it should resemble the foundation of what made them so successful. I can only hope for better days, or a time machine.

Having the ball twice with the lead in the last minute and turning it over without even getting a look or shot was the back breaker.
Amen. Inexcusable on a team with this much experience.
It’s as obvious as can be that HD has no control over some of these players and fails to use the bench to get what he wants. Listen to his post game comments and you will see that they still aren’t doing what is practiced at times. HD continues to let Love do what he wants with no repercussions and that’s an easy way to lose a locker room and set a bad example for the young guys.
Hubert does not appear to have control of his players. This team needs discipline desperately. There appears to be one set of rules for Caleb(and to a lesser extent Mando and RJ), and one for everybody else. That’s just bad for chemistry.

Reactions: heels05champs
Everyone now knows that if you play hard physical ball against Carolina, we can get flustered.

We either need to start paying the refs better or figure out how to hold our composure through adversity.
Now knows? That's been the case for years. We haven't been a physical team for a long time. It's nothing new. Not that it's a bad thing, that's just not how we play.

Makes sense, Mando is very mechanical after an entry though he likes to back down and operate. Occupying the initial help diving may have given him that chance, but Pitt may have doubled anyway and rotated to Nance knowing Mando is not very instinctive with the quick read to dish. If that scenario happens you clog the area. I think they wanted to move the dee and have him catch and make an aggressive move with space as the double was coming with Nance as a quick kick out option?

If Nance just clears I think they attack Mando the same, and doubt Mando will read it in time and Nance will be a non option.
Nance was on the move as soon as his pass was air Borne, heading cross court. I believe a guard was supposed to fill his void on the strong wing, but a kick out to Love or Davis in that situation is not the shot we are looking for either.
Game is done, time to look to Dook.
I will be watching as always, I am a glutton for punishment.

Hubert sat on Roy’s bench for his entire assistant coaching career and people are expecting him to be Greg Popovich in game.

We have 2 extremes. Roy couldn't stop substituting. Hubert won’t substitute. Lol.
#3 Sdung won't stop being a dook troll. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT