ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (MIami game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and good grief.

I dunno if I have the energy to write much after that craziness, but here goes:

- I'll start with this: When I loolked up late and RJ had 30 points, that had to be the quietest 30 ever (prolly got lost in the surrounding clunkiness) but lemme tell ya, he got noisy at a good time with big 3s to keep Miami at bay on the way to a career game of 42 for the soon-to-be ACCPOY.

- RJ also had some big hustle plays, running down his FT miss to keep a key possession alive

- Speaking of that, despite an awful offensive outing, and some bad TOs, Ingram got key boards and again, kept a missed FT alive late when things were sketchy late

- Unfortunately, those previous points raise the ugliness of our FT shooting --- yikes! Let's not do that again.

- Speaking of bad outings, Cormac must've felt guilty about scorching UVA. Oof.

- On that note, Cormac's struggles opened more minutes for Seth with some good D on #7

- As for Miami, YGTBFKM with those 3s, including those fugly heaves from their Big. C'mon man. 2/3 of their first half points were 3s.

- Speaking of Bigs, there's no overstating how strong Mando's inside D was. Also, we basically took away their paint game, despite their usual phalanx of moving screens.

- OMG, I lost count at over a dozen blown finishes close for us, over half in transition (!). Too many forces, but mostly just failure to finish thru Miami's constant contact. Hell, we blew 9 dimes (6 close) from Eliot alone.

- Hafta to call out the staff on this one --- we did not handle their late pressure for two reasons: 1) losing continuity in personnel and mostly 2) not adjusting to Miami running level-2 traps --- In other words, we were abandoning our Press-O after the first inbound trap, but they were hitting us again right before half court, and we had no outlet. Granted, most teams don't do that anymore in the 30 sec era, but we have Dean's best-ever Press Offense at our disposal, which is based on counter-rotating to always show 1-3-1 spacing to the ball, which means there should ALWAYS be a reversal back-outlet until you cross the time line. By giving that up too soon, we played right into their hands. That first 10 second violation wasn't EC's fault, and even Ingram's bone-headed hesitation TO could've been avoided by one more iteration of team rotation. Need to get that cleaned up in practice, lest we see it again!

- Before I forget, BIG shoutout to Withers for contributions in both halves, including helping seal it late with a big offensive board and actually making 2 FT's

- Finally, since I call him out (when he often deserves it), credit where it's due to TV Teddy. He was the best zebra on the floor tonight, often making correct calls when his colleagues (cough, cough, Groover, cough) were ignoring them right in front of him.

Anyway, I'll ALWAYS take a win, but sheesh... seems like we can't have nice thing (like a blowout). Got a hungry State bunch coming in, so need a good week of productive practice. Meanwhile, I suppose the #1 ESPN story will be poor delicate Flopowski's "soreness" level...
:rolleyes: :cool:

Last edited:
I was going to post before your quick stuff but I got sidetracked, but I counted at least 3 assists by Cadeau that were not credited to him. Missed buckets aside, he should have had at least 8, instead of 5. I don't know who does our stats, but dayum, get it right.

I was going to post before your quick stuff but I got sidetracked, but I counted at least 3 assists by Cadeau that were not credited to him. Missed buckets aside, he should have had at least 8, instead of 5. I don't know who does our stats, but dayum, get it right.
Yep, although I'm more concerned about the ones we left on the floor ;)

Gary, thanks for the analysis of what could have been a huge debacle. Holy Schnikes!
R FREAKIN J DAVIS almost tied Coach Davis and others for the most three pointers in a game.

THE BEST PLAYER IN THE COUNTRY HAD A HELLUVA SCORING NIGHT

FIRST HALF:
HEAT CHECK DEUCE DEUCE DEUCE DEUCE DEUCE HEAT CHECK FT FT HEAT CHECK

SECOND HALF:
DEUCE DEUCE FT FT HEAT CHECK HEAT CHECK HEAT CHECK HEAT CHECK FT FT FT

And we needed every single damn one of those points to win. 😧🤔😎
🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀
🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

Last edited:
RJ wow on scoring but I was more impressed by his defense and feeding the post with good passes. He was tenacious on D. He also had several passes on point to Bacot. Please go up strong with the ball mando. Put your defender in the hoop too! I know he’s fouled and it’s not called sometimes but he’s also stripped clean a lot. Win is a win. And I pity the team we play when more than one guy is hot.

I was hoping for a nice cushion with the depleted Canes, to get some extended bench minutes and some lessened time for the core, welp that didn't come to be, maybe the ND game?

Missed the 1st 9 minutes, but after I was tuned in it was RJ giving his best Steph Curry impersonation, and a splash of Mando here and there. Yikes !! RJ was in that zone thankfully.

Ingram and Cormac shot woefully, Ingram did have two huge big time very timely steals/forced turnovers.

Joseph gave us fits, which was a surprise to me. Big fella always plays well against us.

Bacot looked like the old free throw line version, especially those two late, and Trimble looked to have very little confidence at the stripe late.

Could have used a comfortable win, but an ugly win is still a win. Dat a boy RJ, making his case for the Jerry West award.

Last edited:
If RJ isn't the national player of the year is a tragedy!
The good news is he is the tied for 2nd in the sports books odds for the Wooden Award. The bad news Eddy is a massive favorite anywhere from -2500 to -5000.

You could make a mint on RJ if he is the pick though, +3000 to +4000. So drop 250$ on RJ it will pay you 10,000.

Good take Gary. I would always like to see more balanced scoring, but RJ has a good feel for the game, and what is needed. And he felt it! After the Virginia game, he surely made a statement that he can score, but also do other little things to help the team win! We are collectively better than what was presented last night. It will be important to clean it up to get in upcoming tournament mode.

What a fun ride! I never got the feeling we would lose but I did expect it to be a double digit win! The game was fun to watch since it once again proves this team can win any type of game and is NOT dependent on any one person! Name another team that can win with only 1 person scoring well and woeful shooting nights from 4/5ths of their starters! The coaches called a brilliant game (minus the press brake) and every set piece they called ended with a wide open shot right at the rim! Do peeps still feel we don't have a rim protector??? I have an old pair of glasses I can spare if so! Simply put, our team makes winning plays even if many of them don't show in the box score! What are peeps going to do if they face us when 3 of our starters are shooting well???

Obviously RJ is the big takeaway. Great response from him after a poor performance at UVA. Kid has guts and is a big time player. We’re lucky to have him.

How we finished the game was concerning. A lot of dumb passes, leading to turnovers. Bacot chose an unfortunate time to clank FTs for the first time all season. You’ll always hold your breath with Seth at the line in a high leverage situation. Although Bacot’s 80% this year, I would love for this team to have one more reliable guard who can knock down FTs. Would make closing out games a lot easier.

Seth’s rebound off Miami’s late missed FT caught my eye though. That was a man’s rebound in traffic and he had another step on his ladder.

At this point, we know what Cormac Ryan is as a shooter. Streaky but inconsistent. Hopefully he makes them in March when other players are cold (like UVA). Hopefully other players make theirs when he’s cold.

Seems like we don’t really run after opponent makes in the second half. A bit disappointing. RJ allowed us to get away with it. But things get really static with this team.

Maybe a bit fortunate with Miami down 2 key players. I will always say we need to limit opponent’s 3PT attempts. Every Miami player that made a 3 came into the game shooting an above average percentage so those 4 are capable of shooting it well. I know game situation dictated some of their 3s but allowing 50% of your opponent shots being 3s is dangerous. Run them off the 3PT line.

Way to close for comfort…Thank you RJ..I was hoping to blow them out and let some guys rest but oh well…

Also if Ryan is not hitting 3s then a EC and Seth backcourt is something Coach Davis might think about using full court pressure with those 2 in there to get some easy baskets for both…Teams don’t respect them shooting the ball..

Very disappointing game. No excuse for a team with that much experience to play that poorly over the last five minutes, especially at home. The made Miami look like a college version of the Warriors from a few years back. Miami was down two starters and UNC let them stay in the game.

Missed ft's at the end and the turnovers in my opinion were caused by not being mentally focused on the game. Ingram and Ryan were 2-26, Bacot was 1-6 from the line and only had 4 fg attempts.

Canes had no frontcourt depth yet UNC did not attack on the inside. From a talent perspective the depleted Miami team was very similar to a mid-major that UNC could face in a second round tournament game. The only coaching adjustment i really noticed was using RJ to take the air out of the ball with way too much time left. UNC handled the pressure as if was still November and they had not practiced it - either the coaching preparation or the player execution was woefully inadequate. Neither makes me feel good.

A month ago I felt really good about a post season run, now I am hoping they are not one and done in the big dance.

Reactions: strummingram
Ugly ugly game and for me the reason why... 3-13... the box score line for BOTH Ryan and Ingram, combined 6-26. Both missed so many wide open shots, either should be shooting 50% on the open shots they are getting, very disappointing that they don't. By contrast RJ was 14-22 for his 42pts and his shots were a multiple times easier than what RJ was getting. These 2 guys are the difference makers when it comes to how good we look.

JWit played really strong for us, as he stepped to the free throw line for those last 2 very critical free throws I kept saying, show me the heart young man, show me you can step to the moment and he darn sure did! Had JWit not hit those 2 free throws a feeling in my gut says we lose this game on a miracle last second shot, JWit's 2 free throws made it a 2possession game, they meant game over we win.

RJ went off, 42pts on 14-22 shooting, 7-11 from 3, 6 boards, 4 steals, in 34mins! Go ahead and engrave his name on the ACC POY trophy now, he has earned it! Seth had a solid defensive game and his 3pt play near the end was huge for us, would really like to see him get more involved offensively, I love his violent cuts to the rim, I think JWit could as well give us some of that. Ingram struggled shooting but he still hit the boards for 10 boards, so important in a close game. Bacot battled Omier all night and while Omier did get some outside it was not easy inside when Bacot was in.

But geez, what is up with the ugly inlet passing to Bacot? Bacot had the advantage but we just could not seem to get him the ball solidly. How we handled the press late, embarrassing, we staggered to the finish line, giving those wide open treys late, just not smart in a close game and trying to playing not to lose with 3mins left? Back to back really ugly games from us, well it has been ugly since we played duke.

JWash...my guy, the strength of your game right now is that ability to jump shoot with your length... Yet as of late you do not look for positions to take that shot, you are not rolling off screens either to the rim or pop out for the jumper, you absolutely have to be more aggressive than that on the offensive end. Speaking of attacking, have you noticed we are dribbling the ball out front now way more than we had been during that nice run of wins? We need to get back to attacking north south rather than pounding it east west. I really want to see Cadeau attacking the paint with his dribble looking to pass it and players ready for the pass, I want to see that much earlier in the shot clock.

Game ball goes to ...well let me see...LOL of course it goes to RJ on his historic night, he was fantastic simply put.

ON not just the big night that RJ had but on this senior season as a whole, really really happy for RJ. I say that because imagine if RJ had transferred like Love did last season? I think the over all perception of him would have been well less than it is for Love in Carolina circles right now. But with the way RJ's season has gone RJ has carved out a life time of love from UNC fans, he has gone from a good player to greatness in the eyes of Tar Heel fans and it is well deserved! It would be criminal if his jersey is not raised above the court he plays on and I would love to see it retired!

ON not just the big night that RJ had but on this senior season as a whole, really really happy for RJ. I say that because imagine if RJ had transferred like Love did last season? I think the over all perception of him would have been well less than it is for Love in Carolina circles right now. But with the way RJ's season has gone RJ has carved out a life time of love from UNC fans, he has gone from a good player to greatness in the eyes of Tar Heel fans and it is well deserved! It would be criminal if his jersey is not raised above the court he plays on and I would love to see it retired!

There was no chance RJ was going to transfer unless Caleb stayed, & then it would’ve been RJ and Mando leaving. I think Hubert kind of made that decision for Caleb.

Terrible finish to an otherwise workman-like game from the team. Agreed that we have consistently shown an inability to execute at the end of close games. Two schools of thought here - (1) at least we're winning them whereas we would have lost them last year or (2) a bad sign of things to come because the law of averages says we'll eventually lose one of those. Maybe and probably both are accurate. I won't freak out too much about the FT shooting. We've been good from the line a whole lot more than we've been bad. I freak out more with the decisions that take the ball out of Cormac's and RJ's hands at the end of close games. And I freak out about our repeatedly missing chippies at the rim. That will indeed cost us.

Spare me he "2 starters out for Miami" thing. That means nothing. Hell, if Pack and the other guy play, the game goes completely different and we win by 20. That's as likely to have happened as the notion they could have upset us had they played. Because Pack sat, that 6'8" guy had the game of his short career. If Pack plays, they don't have that height advantage on our smaller guys. It's that time of the year where everybody is dealing with injuries and it's next man up. I put no stock in any argument regarding who they had available and who they didn't.

Bottom line is that we are struggling to recapture the January form. I think we can get close to that level again but not sure. On to moo.

Reactions: Heelicious
a win is a win and i'll take it. but like you guys said, there's so much value in the double digit lead we had, holding it and being able to rest some guys at the tail end of games like this. we just didn't execute press offense, and it got them back in the game where we had to play the full 40 mins.

It won't be retired but will definitely hang in the rafters. The Big from Purdue will win NPOY again, but RJ being overlooked for ACCPOY would be a crime of dookian proportions, and he'll also make AA lists.

Bottom line is that we are struggling to recapture the January form. I think we can get close to that level again but not sure. On to moo.
I think teams are what they are at this point. Aside from Houston, Purdue, and UConn every team is inconsistent to a degree and plays some games closer than they should on paper. And for other teams like Arizona, I question the conference they play in.

A big group of teams (maybe 4th-14th) can beat any team on any given night. But there are also big parts of them that you don't trust. I think UNC falls in that category. So hopefully with a combination of being healthy, a good draw with maybe a break or 2, and multiple players making shots in every game, there's a deep run in this team.

A lot of the January form had to do with teams shooting a ridiculously low 3PT percentage against us. I'm sure we deserve some credit in that, but I can't see competent March offenses shooting 1/18, 2/21, or 2/14 against us from 3.

The only thing that will really raise my expectations is if Bacot becomes a dominant offensive player. Like 20 PPG on 57%+ shooting dominant. That will give them a dimension in March that's probably more predictable than making 3s. To me, it looks like Bacot is more filling in the dominant offensive rebounder role. That's extremely valuable too.

IMO the most important thing is for the top 6 (Trimble) to be healthy in March. I no longer assume terrible things when Withers and Washington are on the court. Withers has a positive net rating, so he probably helps the team more than I give him credit for. Washington is basically a net 0. Good on those 2 for finding their value on this team.

Obviously RJ is the big takeaway. Great response from him after a poor performance at UVA. Kid has guts and is a big time player. We’re lucky to have him.

How we finished the game was concerning. A lot of dumb passes, leading to turnovers. Bacot chose an unfortunate time to clank FTs for the first time all season. You’ll always hold your breath with Seth at the line in a high leverage situation. Although Bacot’s 80% this year, I would love for this team to have one more reliable guard who can knock down FTs. Would make closing out games a lot easier.

Seth’s rebound off Miami’s late missed FT caught my eye though. That was a man’s rebound in traffic and he had another step on his ladder.

At this point, we know what Cormac Ryan is as a shooter. Streaky but inconsistent. Hopefully he makes them in March when other players are cold (like UVA). Hopefully other players make theirs when he’s cold.

Seems like we don’t really run after opponent makes in the second half. A bit disappointing. RJ allowed us to get away with it. But things get really static with this team.

Maybe a bit fortunate with Miami down 2 key players. I will always say we need to limit opponent’s 3PT attempts. Every Miami player that made a 3 came into the game shooting an above average percentage so those 4 are capable of shooting it well. I know game situation dictated some of their 3s but allowing 50% of your opponent shots being 3s is dangerous. Run them off the 3PT line.
Our offense gets really slow towards the end of games, and I don't get it. Our offensive efficiency has to take a huge dip in the last 5 minutes of games, and we've almost blown a few leads.

Keep pushing the ball and keep up the motion offense instead of iso RJ until there are <2 minutes left, not 4 or 5.

Reactions: Indy_Heel
Our offense gets really slow towards the end of games, and I don't get it. Our offensive efficiency has to take a huge dip in the last 5 minutes of games, and we've almost blown a few leads.

Keep pushing the ball and keep up the motion offense instead of iso RJ until there are <2 minutes left, not 4 or 5.
I’m tired of seeing the prevent offense towards the end of games. Seems to always kill the mojo. What’s wrong with moving the ball around to kill the clock? Just frustrating watching RJ hold the ball for 20 sec then gets shut down when we can’t run anything.

Well on a positive note I got to watch the UNC/UVA game from the Circa Stadium pool on Saturday in Vegas then flew back home in time to watch the last few minutes of the game last night. Once it was over went back and watched the whole game… since the body was still on Vegas time

Reactions: gary-7

EC coming off the court is the biggest reason for this from my recollection...or attempting to sub offense/defense which also doesn't work for that long a stretch. It's probably too late to send the correct message to the kid that you trust him to knock down FTs but that along with/tied to over dependence on an undersized guard will likely limit this team's run.

Reactions: thompsjj and gary-7
Thinking back to before we offered RJ. Many (most?) here wereen't interested. He's too short. He's not a PG. We don't need a short SG. We don't need a backup PG, either, because we already have Caleb, Andrew and Leaky. He's a lock to Pitt. He's not Carolina caliber.

Pretty sure we've all come around by now. Most of us came around a while ago. Good thing Roy didn't listen to us.

Now that we've beaten Miami twice, I can admit to feeling sorry for them.

In the first game, we were missing Seth but they were missing starter and best 3pt shooter George. We almost let them back in after being up 11 late, but didn't. 75-72

Then on our home court, with us healthy while Miami was missing 2 starters, we almost let them steal it after being up 14 late, but didn't. 75-71

I don't want to meet them in the ACC tournament. At the moment, it looks like we could face them in the semis.

Loved the way RJ, EC and Seth get after it defensively !!

I saw a comment RJ made about not getting the ball inside but it seemed like Bacot was struggling to get something resembling good position on the offensive end .. not sure why.

Miami was down some key players .. and we barely won at home. Not a great positive there.

We will not win many more games when the scoring is so unbalanced. If they had figured out a way to slow down RJ, or he just wasn't en fuego it could have been a very bad day.

Once again it seems UNC/hubs is reverting to the short bench late in the season .. hoping it doesn't come back to bite us .. again. We still have some very good bench players that could provide us with at least a few quality minutes here and there. GO HEELS !!

A win (that might have been a devastating loss) always feels good, regardless.
Plus, the staff now has plenty of situational practice opportunities to get the
guys’ attention in the next several days. NO LACKADAISICALITY ALLOWED!

Muchas Gracias to Withers for his efforts in the last several seconds. 👍🏾
It is always good to have teachable points, in a win! Monday felt almost like a loss, I hope the team comes out hungry vs State on Saturday.

Loved the way RJ, EC and Seth get after it defensively !!

I saw a comment RJ made about not getting the ball inside but it seemed like Bacot was struggling to get something resembling good position on the offensive end .. not sure why.

Miami was down some key players .. and we barely won at home. Not a great positive there.

We will not win many more games when the scoring is so unbalanced. If they had figured out a way to slow down RJ, or he just wasn't en fuego it could have been a very bad day.

Once again it seems UNC/hubs is reverting to the short bench late in the season .. hoping it doesn't come back to bite us .. again. We still have some very good bench players that could provide us with at least a few quality minutes here and there. GO HEELS !!
One thing I disagree with is he is "reverting" to less bench time late in the year. I think it has been very consistent, since conference play. Withers gets his 12 or so, Washington gets his 8 to 12. More 8ish if Mando does not pick up 2 midway through the first half. Trimble and Cadeau spilt the 40 at about 25/15.

RJ and Ingram 36, Cormac 32. The core 8 has been very consistent in usage. I don't have an issue with it, but it has been consistent throughout after the Roy/Dean we'll give you a look non conference minutes. No change or reverting late. Same usage.

One thing I disagree with is he is "reverting" to less bench time late in the year. I think it has been very consistent, since conference play. Withers gets his 12 or so, Washington gets his 8 to 12. More 8ish if Mando does not pick up 2 midway through the first half. Trimble and Cadeau spilt the 40 at about 25/15.

RJ and Ingram 36, Cormac 32. The core 8 has been very consistent in usage. I don't have an issue with it, but it has been consistent throughout after the Roy/Dean we'll give you a look non conference minutes. No change or reverting late. Same usage.
I'd like to see a few more of Seth's minutes come from Ryan rather than EC. End of game EC has to be on the court more, especially if we're going to continue to milk the clock for way too long.

I'd like to see a few more of Seth's minutes come from Ryan rather than EC. End of game EC has to be on the court more, especially if we're going to continue to milk the clock for way too long.
I hear yah, but . . .

Seth FT = .615
Elliot FT = .641
Cormac FT = .873

If we have to hit foul shots to stave off a surging foe, we need RJ, Cormac, and Armando (.774) on the floor. Withers (.809) and Wojcik (.800) aren't bad, either.

If we're the ones making a comeback, that changes things. Ditto if we need Seth out there to shut down a particular player. But if foul shooting is on the line (no pun intended), we probably shouldn't be having Elliot and Seth getting the ball on the in-bounds play.

Reactions: Heelicious
Admittedly, his FTs are getting better but to be on the court at the end he needs to have an above average percentage. Not sure of the actual numbers but if I’m the opponent coming back from a deficit it’s he that I foul ( followed closely by Ingram).

To be clear, in a foul situation EC is inbounding to RJ. I'm talking more about the last 3-4 minutes rather than the last 30 seconds but even then i think you have to show confidence in him because we aren't going anywhere without him playing confidently.

My quick math says he's shooting 69.2% in '24 and 76% (19/25) over the last 10 games.

RJ is 49/59 last 10 games (83.1%), Cormac 13/17 (76.5%), Ingram 13/23 (56.5%) and Trimble 10/18 (55.6%)

Last edited:
I think teams are what they are at this point. Aside from Houston, Purdue, and UConn every team is inconsistent to a degree and plays some games closer than they should on paper. And for other teams like Arizona, I question the conference they play in.

A big group of teams (maybe 4th-14th) can beat any team on any given night. But there are also big parts of them that you don't trust. I think UNC falls in that category. So hopefully with a combination of being healthy, a good draw with maybe a break or 2, and multiple players making shots in every game, there's a deep run in this team.

A lot of the January form had to do with teams shooting a ridiculously low 3PT percentage against us. I'm sure we deserve some credit in that, but I can't see competent March offenses shooting 1/18, 2/21, or 2/14 against us from 3.

The only thing that will really raise my expectations is if Bacot becomes a dominant offensive player. Like 20 PPG on 57%+ shooting dominant. That will give them a dimension in March that's probably more predictable than making 3s. To me, it looks like Bacot is more filling in the dominant offensive rebounder role. That's extremely valuable too.

IMO the most important thing is for the top 6 (Trimble) to be healthy in March. I no longer assume terrible things when Withers and Washington are on the court. Withers has a positive net rating, so he probably helps the team more than I give him credit for. Washington is basically a net 0. Good on those 2 for finding their value on this team.
3-13 is why I disagree with you... do ya know what 3-13 is?

From the box score vs Miami, 3-13 is what BOTH Ingram and Ryan shot from the field, they shot a combined 6-26. 3-13 is 26%, our starting wing and our starting power forward BOTH shot 26% from the field in that game and my point is it is not just this one game or this one box score. 3-13 is a Caleb Love like box score, 26% was to many games from Caleb like that. When this team has played well that 3-13 number is much better from at least 1 of those 2 guys. BUT it is critical to keep in mind what that 3-13 really is, it is on mostly wide open shots, neither take many bad shots, neither take a lot of closely guarded shots, RJ and Bacot take most of those, Caleb seemed to enjoy taking bad shots, Ryan and Ingram don't. They take open shots and BOTH are considered green light shooters at this point because unlike Paxon for example, they have shown they can hit those and they take more of them than anyone else not named RJ Davis, they are expected to take them, they are expected to hit them, they are not expected to hit a tiny number like 26%.

For the season, Ryan is shooting 36.4 over all and 32.1% from 3 but he has had 2 or 3 games that really pumped his numbers up, of our regular players (not including Paxon or High), guys that play every game, Ryan is not just the lowest by average % shooter, the next closest is Cadeau at 42.6% and Cadeau is not putting up the shear number of shots Ryan and Ingram do (BTW Ingram is 43.3% over all and 39% from 3, he was near 50% from 3 till recently). I didn't include Paxon in those numbers but really, who cares what he is shooting at this point, he doesn't put enough of them up to really matter but it is a problem that he was considered to be a solid jump shooter coming in, it would be nice to have a knock down jump shooter coming off our bench that could give us some points consistently, not just 1 game but consistently but it would be even nicer if we got consistency from our 2 starters. When we play really well we get at least one of these guys with sweet shooting numbers, in our losses we tend to get more 3-13 like numbers. Bottom line, Ryan and Ingram have to shoot not just better but more consistently. Have a bad game, every player has bad games over a season but they have good ones as well but shooting wise BOTH have to step that aspect of their games up. If they don't we will run in to that team that just has our number earlier in the NCAAT that we should be dropping out and if they do step it up this team could win the next Natty by double digits. Maybe it is because I have Tar Heel blinders on but I have not seen a team play this season that I felt had a higher ceiling than this UNC team, problem is we have a lower floor than a few others. Said a different way, our A+ game in my opinion beats any other team in the country's A+ game but our B game does not beat around 10 or so other teams B game, the difference IMO between our A+ game and our B game is the shooting efficiency from Ryan and Cadeau, simply due to the type of shots they get to take.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

I think we've been on the same page with this all season. And UNC isn't this exception that shrinks the bench's minutes in the biggest games.

Houston plays a ton of guys and no one on their team averages 32.0+ MPG. In their last 3 games against ranked teams (Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor), Jamaal Shaed has played 38, 38, and 43 minutes. Against Kansas, they had 5 players play over 30 minutes and that includes a starter who got hurt early.

Purdue played Zach Edey on a pitch count earlier this season. In his last 11 games, 34 MPG. The only 2 games he played less than 30, one was a 32-point blowout against Michigan and another game where he was in foul trouble. He played 42 minutes in an overtime game too.

So this is pretty normal. Unless you're working back a player who was hurt earlier in the season, teams tighten their rotation and play their best players more. Also, if I'm an opposing coach, I would much rather see a fresh Paxson Wojcik on the floor than really any of our starters and that includes Cormac Ryan.

But mainly a warning to me, lol.... We are about to enter the part of the season where sample size doesn't matter. It's simply about performing and winning. So I'm definitely prepared for a random game where Paxson Wojcik makes 2 3s and is like a +10 in 8 minutes and every "bench mob" poster here saying "STILL THINK WOJCIK CAN'T PLAY?!?!?!?!?!" Or "STILL THINK WE DON'T HAVE A DEEP BENCH?!?!?!?!?" Lol

I think we've been on the same page with this all season. And UNC isn't this exception that shrinks the bench's minutes in the biggest games.

Houston plays a ton of guys and no one on their team averages 32.0+ MPG. In their last 3 games against ranked teams (Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor), Jamaal Shaed has played 38, 38, and 43 minutes. Against Kansas, they had 5 players play over 30 minutes and that includes a starter who got hurt early.

Purdue played Zach Edey on a pitch count earlier this season. In his last 11 games, 34 MPG. The only 2 games he played less than 30, one was a 32-point blowout against Michigan and another game where he was in foul trouble. He played 42 minutes in an overtime game too.

So this is pretty normal. Unless you're working back a player who was hurt earlier in the season, teams tighten their rotation and play their best players more. Also, if I'm an opposing coach, I would much rather see a fresh Paxson Wojcik on the floor than really any of our starters and that includes Cormac Ryan.

But mainly a warning to me, lol.... We are about to enter the part of the season where sample size doesn't matter. It's simply about performing and winning. So I'm definitely prepared for a random game where Paxson Wojcik makes 2 3s and is like a +10 in 8 minutes and every "bench mob" poster here saying "STILL THINK WOJCIK CAN'T PLAY?!?!?!?!?!" Or "STILL THINK WE DON'T HAVE A DEEP BENCH?!?!?!?!?" Lol
You still talking about SAMPLE SIZE? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Haha
Still think we don't have a deep bench????

I don't know why peeps focus so much on the negative and assume it will continue AND ignore the positive or assume it can't continue. We have had games where multiple peeps played poorly and games where starters were virtually nonexistent in the box score AND WON! Our body of evidence suggests we can win games when peeps shoot poorly or get in foul trouble. Why assume we will lose in the tourney if someone has a bad game? I expect peeps to step up and pick up each other's slack. Working on D + love for each other and the U are part of our DNA at this point. To me this is the underlying strength of our team!

Still think we don't have a deep bench????

I don't know why peeps focus so much on the negative and assume it will continue AND ignore the positive or assume it can't continue. We have had games where multiple peeps played poorly and games where starters were virtually nonexistent in the box score AND WON! Our body of evidence suggests we can win games when peeps shoot poorly or get in foul trouble. Why assume we will lose in the tourney if someone has a bad game? I expect peeps to step up and pick up each other's slack. Working on D + love for each other and the U are part of our DNA at this point. To me this is the underlying strength of our team!
My recollection of bench usage in the Roy era boils down to 2 main points:

1. He played a lot of people a lot of minutes early in the season.

2. He played his bench a good bit in the first half, even later in the season.

I really liked both of those strategies, even though the first one might occasionally cost us a game. They tended to set us up for success during crunch time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT