ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (uk game)...

Before I give the wrong impression, let me just say that I like both of our PGs. I like RJ a little more than Caleb, but I like Caleb, too. Caleb has more upside, but RJ has more grit.

Both can be awesome. Both can really screw the pooch. Both need to improve, but I think both can improve.

Most of the time, I think Caleb is ahead of RJ in showing he gets it. In fact, a week or 2 ago, I was sure Caleb had finally turned the corner. That now seems to have been premature, but I still think he's close. And I think RJ will get there, too, probably later this season.

So . . . being an equal-opportunity fan, I figure the only fair thing to do is jump all over both of them while we still can. That way when it comes time to eat our words, at least we will have gotten our money's worth.
PLEASE don't confuse anything I have said today with my having a dislike of these 2 kids, I don't dislike them, in fact I like them both a ton. But I do think it unfair to them to expect them to be something they are not. I want them BOTH to improve, I want them both some day to be NBA gazillionaires. But I know that for them to achieve their dreams they both have to learn to adjust to the needs of the team they are playing for and for that to happen they have to be able to accept coaching and learn from coaching, that their way is not always the best way. I don't think anyone here is blown away as to how quickly either has picked up on being a D-1 level PG, that is critique rather than critism, I believe in critique much more than I do critism. When I suggest their collective basketball IQ is not that of a major program PG, I am not calling them stupid, that basketball IQ lets say of Kendal Marshal is a God given ability that all are not blessed with. Einstein would have very likely been a lousy PG yet the man was genius, Phil Ford was no Einstein but he was a hell of a PG.

Reactions: TheGLOV and shun1
I hear a bunch of finger pointing from this board when things go sideways. Sure hope our staff and players do not fall into that mindset. Certainly address the areas, and work with it though in house.

We do not have a pure point on this roster, we do not have a deep old school roster, if Bacot goes down we don't have anybody at all to be a post presence.

We have some talented pieces, who are just getting to know each other, in a new system. Sheesh, I hope they aren't as quick to just cry and moan and are actually ready to build after getting punched in the face, gonna get punced more then once. SO EASY TO QUIT NOWADAYS, especially from the older generation, when it is "different".

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I hear a bunch of finger pointing from this board when things go sideways. Sure hope our staff and players do not fall into that mindset. Certainly address the areas, and work with it though in house.

We do not have a pure point on this roster, we do not have a deep old school roster, if Bacot goes down we don't have anybody at all to be a post presence.

We have some talented pieces, who are just getting to know each other, in a new system. Sheesh, I hope they aren't as quick to just cry and moan and are actually ready to build after getting punched in the face, gonna get punced more then once. SO EASY TO QUIT NOWADAYS, especially from the older generation, when it is "different".
Really? The older generation?? You mean the generation that expects them to play hard? The generation that expects them to value the opportunity to play at UNC? You mean the generation that expects them to take care of the ball, rebound, share the ball, and have a little killer instinct? You think we just don't like "different"? You are correct. The Tennessee game and Kentucky game were certainly different. I'm glad you enjoyed them so much. I'm pretty sure this member of the older generation did not!!

Really? The older generation?? You mean the generation that expects them to play hard? The generation that expects them to value the opportunity to play at UNC? You mean the generation that expects them to take care of the ball, rebound, share the ball, and have a little killer instinct? You think we just don't like "different"? You are correct. The Tennessee game and Kentucky game were certainly different. I'm glad you enjoyed them so much. I'm pretty sure this member of the older generation did not!!
I am part of the older generation, and yes absolutely we are the crying older generation. Change hurts, and people forget the blowouts of past years. We only look back at the best. Been struggles, quit crying that things change "the good old days" didn't have this,, yeah right your granddad said the same about your generation.

And we have to watch the younger generation become selfish, weak, and indifferent to the team they supposedly chose to play for. We have to watch the younger generation expect to be enabled and treated with participation trophies because they are no longer required to play hard, just show up. We have to read from those who no longer expect excellence from their favorite teams, and are willing to overlook mediocrity because they are making a statement against society in general. Doesn’t matter that it makes them look foolish and selfish. You want to talk about quitting? When the “difference“ you describe sucks, and you applaud it, what does that say about you? One should never give someone the keys to a Ferrari, when they have never shown they can ride a bicycle! In essence that’s what Roy pushed on us.

You enjoy the difference because you have been taught to, I was taught to see what I see, know what I know, and think for myself. I think this coach was a Bad Hire. If he continues on the path he is on philosophically as a head coach he will fail, and fail miserably. People need to stop worrying about speaking the truth just because they are scared to be labeled. Screw that. I called Matty D a piece of crap and I’m saying the same thing now about the Hubs. Neither should have sat their asses in the Tar Heel Head Coaching chair. I would go so far as to say Matty D at the very least had some experience. Hubs experience comes from watching and not doing. That’s something the younger generation knows very well. If you enjoy this product he puts on the floor then there is no help for you. Enjoy the next couple years. No matter the recruits, this guy clearly isn’t ready. Time will tell and sadly I’m betting there will be a change in 3 years. You can thank Roy Williams for that.

Steat my friend, I am going to respectfully disagree. Now of course, ain't gonna win many games when the other team scores 90+, that I will never argue against. I would add that you will not lose many games you score 90+ in either!

I do not believe the problem is defense, I believe the problem is offense, it is scoring or the lack of. This particular team plays with more effort, more spirit, harder when they are scoring well. But when they are not scoring well they tend to lose the defensive focus and effort. As you may recall, Dean made a huge point of his teams defending well because he wanted your defense to key your offense, thus energizing our breaks off of our defense. That is why Dean used his multiple defensive approach, to create TOs, why he preached blocking out and rebounding so hard, to limits their looks and get our game pace up.

I used to chuckle when I saw Roy talk about his being a defensive minded coach, I never saw Roy as a defensive minded coach. Roy out sized the opponents in the paint, with that size advantage forced teams to not crash the boards for offensive rebounds but retreat and get ready for our breaks. Roy's teams were best when he out scored the other team and forced them in to taking bad shots trying to play catch up to us, Roy was an offensive minded coach that had defenses play just well enough to let his scoring gain a winning margin. Tony Bennet by contrast is a defensive minded coach, his entire game plan revolves around his defense and that just was not what Roy did.

And who was the head coach for Hubert's entire assistant coaching career, it was Roy so no surprise that so far Hubert seems more of an offensive minded coach than a defensive minded one. If the meat and pototoes of what you do is offensive and your offense is not working then your defense is going to be a problem. May sound a bit like why did the chicken cross the road where it depends on who you ask but I think the real concern is more offense than defense and if the offense can get consistent then the defense will look much better. The whole remove the rims for practice thing from Roy was always for me a belly laugh.
We're 19th in offensive adjusted PPP and 82nd in defensive adjusted PPP. While it's possible for the offense to be a bit better, it's pretty good and much better than the last couple years. The issue keeping us from being a top 25 team is our defense is no good.

Why is that? Bacot and Leaky are our only decent defenders who play more than 10 minutes a game. We're 349th in the country in TO% and only average in terms of eFG%.

I am not a fan of the struggles with the program in the modern game, adapt or get passed, but the wineymiddle age cries are as guaranteed as the rising of the sun when talking about the next generation. Quit crying! Ancient Rome, Greece, Shakespeare, all the same lament. This new generation 🙄.

Great book "The Glory of Our Time" interviewed turn of the century baseball players still alive. Sheesh, you should hear them talk about the now called "golden era" current WillieMays, Joe DiMaggio types. Weak couldn't play with us guys, generation decay...lol. Some were sensible, and praised the growth,, not the butt hurt that their time had past. That group got old and insecure and then talked about the next generation like they were never young and dumb. It is what happens naturally.

Bitchin' and moanin' about people bitchin' and moanin' too much nowadays always makes me laugh. Back in my day we...lol. It still is your day, lead by example, quit crying about how things change.

Last edited:
Yet here you are doing all of the bitchin and moanin. Put the bottle away dude, you've had enough. If it's all the same with you I think I'll be the one to decide what I like and what I don't like, and also what I want to complain about and what I want to remain quiet about. So far the only thing you'll find that I have complained about with this team was the effort against Kentucky. You can call that bitchin and moanin' if you want to but you're lying if you say it's only coming from the "older generation".

Last edited:
Yet here you are doing all of the bitchin and moanin. Put the bottle away dude, you've had enough. If it's all the same with you I think I'll be the one to decide what I like and what I don't like, and also what I want to complain about and what I want to remain quiet about. So far the only thing you'll find that I have complained about with this team was the effort against Kentucky. You can call that bitchin and moanin' if you want to but you're lying if you say it's only coming from the "older generation".
Definitely not only the older generation, but definitely not only the "newer generation". You are correct it is cycle, bitch about the people whining and moaning, while you whine about it as "them" whoever the them may be. Very true, and I am not immune to it. It is as old as time itself with each generation and those that follow. Not very productive on either end, but certainly available to have complaints bounced back at ya. We should all expect it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT