ADVERTISEMENT

Wasting RJ Davis' final season

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
Absolutely pathetic job by the staff, and especially the people running UNC's NIL. We need a starting PF and especially a starting C. Most of the top options didn't even visit us. The one guy that did visit chose Alabama (who also took a Tar Heel legacy recruit a year ago.)

We have all this backcourt talent led by RJ Davis, and our entire front court is made up of bench players who are going to get destroyed by most of the ACC.

Doesn't look good in conference games next year or against Kansas in the first regular season game.

Absolutely pathetic job by the staff, and especially the people running UNC's NIL. We need a starting PF and especially a starting C. Most of the top options didn't even visit us. The one guy that did visit chose Alabama (who also took a Tar Heel legacy recruit a year ago.)

We have all this backcourt talent led by RJ Davis, and our entire front court is made up of bench players who are going to get destroyed by most of the ACC.
Nothing you can do when you don’t have the money…How much you think RJ got to come back….Lets not forget a certain player went 0-9 from 3 in the S16 so did he waste Mondo last year…

Doesn't look good in conference games next year or against Kansas in the first regular season game.
Gonna get destroyed inside against every decent team we play. At Kansas will be a bloodbath. Alabama will kick our teeth in in Maui. Dook is going to manhandle us.

Reactions: NoseButt
I’ve seen it over and over through the years where new coaches initially recruit well selling a vision and hopes but when that gets replaced by game film and reality it becomes hard to keep it up. Hubert is starting to find recruiting in this NIL climate very difficult and he doesn’t have a single lottery pick in 3 years to use as a recruiting pitch.

Him and Carolina better embrace this new NIL era or his tenure as head coach won’t last long term.

Reactions: uncfanatic
Nothing you can do when you don’t have the money…How much you think RJ got to come back….Lets not forget a certain player went 0-9 from 3 in the S16 so did he waste Mondo last year…
lol wouldn’t have made it there without him. You think Rjs earned nil kept us from getting more players? Wake up.

Reactions: gregkb14
lol wouldn’t have made it there without him. You think Rjs earned nil kept us from getting more players? Wake up.
I didn’t say that but make no mistake we lost that game because he couldn’t hit a 3…Look I have said for a minute we are not winning a title with the starting backcourt both 6ft tall…I don’t care who the 4 or 5 is…UNC has never won a Title with a backcourt like that….Thats a fact…

JWash is not a bench player.

8 minutes per game, high foul rate, too immobile to defend stretch 4s, too weak to defend the paint. In the 2 years he's been healthy he's shown he no longer possesses any of the athleticism he had prior to the doctor ruining his first knee surgery.

He's a bench player on any team that wants to compete for a championship. Unfortunately for us it looks like you are correct that he is not a bench player for UNC.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
We COULD have a terrific team with the players we have now. A lot of good things would have to fall in place for that to happen. Still, those things are all possible.

It will require serious improvements from several of our returning guys.

It will probably require at least one of our hot-shot frosh to be ready.

It will require good coaching.

It will require a few breaks.

Hey, at least there should be enough PT to go around.

Please someone explain why we can't get a single center out of this portal with all the talent that was present. If we are not paying the price then let the alumni know so we can support this team as needed or demand more NIL focus. If it is our coaching staff then call it out and let's deal with that. If it's a player or two from our team not supporting the opportunity of a portal player then state that. But something is just darn rotten if UNC cannot get anyone who wants to come in with all the minutes we have to offer and the chance with that big piece of the pie to compete for a NC. So, please folks, take a stab at it and tell me why we have struck out.

A couple of weeks ago I said - partly tongue-in-cheek - "I'm sure Washington wants to start. Less sure if he's up to it, but totally ready to throw him in the deep end to find out."

Are you ready for the deep end, big guy?

Last edited:
Come on Gary. He's shown nothing that he's capable of being a starter in the ACC and playing 30 minutes a games. Absolutely nothing. The ball has been dropped and I'm tired of excuses and the we're better than you attitude coming from this basketball program. I could've recruited the center position better from my recliner this offseason. Certainly done no worse. This program has underachieved outside of 1 tournament run for quite some time.

According to On3, there are 9 guys in their top-50 who are SF or bigger.

I like the looks of

Osobor
Hawkins
Wells
Toppin

And Omier, of course if his status changes.

Can fans use something like GoFundMe to raise NIL money that we fans could control?

That could get interesting

"Hey Hubert, here's a mil for Ingram if you can get him back."

Can fans use something like GoFundMe to raise NIL money that we fans could control?

That could get interesting

"Hey Hubert, here's a mil for Ingram if you can get him back."
That would probably work better than the guy currently running the SecondaryBreak collective.

1 - how much money does UNC basketball have to build a roster each year? What is that number?
2 - is that info public? If not, what is the explanation for why it is not public?
3 - what do other schools have to offer?
4 - where does the money come from? Donations? Revenue share?
5 - are donations made to programs that ultimately end up in some kid’s pocket tax deductible?
6 - how does a collective work?

TIA

Come on Gary. He's shown nothing that he's capable of being a starter in the ACC and playing 30 minutes a games. Absolutely nothing. The ball has been dropped and I'm tired of excuses and the we're better than you attitude coming from this basketball program. I could've recruited the center position better from my recliner this offseason. Certainly done no worse. This program has underachieved outside of 1 tournament run for quite some time.
This is just too far off base to address, and I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: thompsjj
This is just too far off base to address, and I'll leave it at that.

Admittedly, I’m just a casual fan. But a lot of us seem to have seen the same things out of Washington. What do you see that gives you comfort?

He is on an ncaa tournament team
Quite simply untrue. Look, I wanted Omoyuri as much as anyone here, BUT... even had we gotten him, Cliff is a complementary player --- a strong defender and rebounder, yes, but NOT a Big you run your offense thru, and I have no problem saying JWash would still have been our starter (barring physical setback).

JWash obviously needs to take a step up on defense and physicality, but I still find it astounding that so many folks can't seem to grasp what an extraordinary offensive dimension he brings to the table.

Gary, you don't seem to understand we're talking about high level NCAA basketball and not a game of h.o.r.s.e.

No one denies Washington has a sweet jumpshot. It's literally every other aspect of his game and body that's a problem. He can't defend the perimeter bc he's immobile. He can't defend the post bc he's weak and lacks balance. He is foul prone. He can't handle the ball if you give it to him around the 3pt line, which we do a lot in our offense. He sometimes falls down setting screens. He sometimes falls down trying to rebound.

He's been healthy for around 2 years. It's time to start accepting that Jalen Washington is not physically capable of playing a starting role for a UNC caliber team.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
Admittedly, I’m just a casual fan. But a lot of us seem to have seen the same things out of Washington. What do you see that gives you comfort?
Offensive skills that we haven't had at the 5 since, hell, Sam Perkins. He has the best shooting stroke on the team (with the possible exception of Tyson) --- a legit green-light 3 pt shooter and is almost automatic on midrange face-ups and turn-arounds. And unlike Mando, he is an "above-the-rim" Big inside.

We all know he has work to do on the other side of the ball --- mostly footwork and strength --- and I still want to pick up a complementary guy to that end, but if you give him starter minutes I venture to say he'll be near the top of opposing scouting reports.

So, that's my take. We're not done in the portal yet (including looking at strong rebounding 4s), so we'll see what else transpires. Meanwhile, I'll step away from the panic... ;)

Gary, you don't seem to understand we're talking about high level NCAA basketball and not a game of h.o.r.s.e.

No one denies Washington has a sweet jumpshot. It's literally every other aspect of his game and body that's a problem. He can't defend the perimeter bc he's immobile. He can't defend the post bc he's weak and lacks balance. He is foul prone. He can't handle the ball if you give it to him around the 3pt line, which we do a lot in our offense. He sometimes falls down setting screens. He sometimes falls down trying to rebound.

He's been healthy for around 2 years. It's time to start accepting that Jalen Washington is not physically capable of playing a starting role for a UNC caliber team.
He has not been "healthy" --- it has been a continuing rehab from catastrophic injury.

And unlike Mando, he is an "above-the-rim" Big inside.
Lmao

He stands flat-footed bc he can barely jump, and uses his 7'5" wingspan to dunk 4 times his sophomore season. He had one solitary put back dunk the whole season where he got a running start and actually went above the rim to grab the ball and finish it.

And you're trying to call him an above the rim player?

He has not been "healthy" --- it has been a continuing rehab from catastrophic injury.
His rehab ended a long time ago. He's been a full go for practice and weight training for 2 years, along with constant treatment and monitoring by the medical staff.

I didn’t say that but make no mistake we lost that game because he couldn’t hit a 3…Look I have said for a minute we are not winning a title with the starting backcourt both 6ft tall…I don’t care who the 4 or 5 is…UNC has never won a Title with a backcourt like that….Thats a fact…
Well let me tell you this fact. There’s no one we can get to play next year that can do as much as RJ did for UNC this year. So nitpick someone else if you must.

Well let me tell you this fact. There’s no one we can get to play next year that can do as much as RJ did for UNC this year. So nitpick someone else if you must.
RJ and the rest of our perimeter talent may be the best perimeter rotation in America.

It will be an absolute crime if Withers and Washington are the best front court players we can put around him next season.

RJ is a good player but he takes a ton of shots to get his points…I saw a stat that he took like over 600 shots to score 700 plus points this year…

He is not the key to UNC winning a Title it’s EC….So are we going to have another year letting RJ play PG trying to up his draft stock or give the ball to EC and let him run the show…

Like I said I would rather add another 2/3 guy out of the portal that can shoot and defend…I like the bigs we have….

Reactions: thompsjj
RJ is a good player but he takes a ton of shots to get his points…I saw a stat that he took like over 600 shots to score 700 plus points this year…

He is not the key to UNC winning a Title it’s EC….So are we going to have another year letting RJ play PG trying to up his draft stock or give the ball to EC and let him run the show…

Like I said I would rather add another 2/3 guy out of the portal that can shoot and defend…I like the bigs we have….
You mean EC pass to RJ so he can shoot it. I agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT