ADVERTISEMENT

Wasting RJ Davis' final season

Or because the guy running the bball NIL was previously fired from UK for doing a poor job, and we were foolish enough to hire him.
Not true…Stop saying things that are BS….The guy UNC got from UK is 1 of the best in the business…UNC does not have the NIL money that these schools in the SEC and that is a fact….

I think it is obvious to say NIL and significantly-altered transfer rules has completely changed what recruiting looks like, completely changing what college bball looks like, all in a very small window of time.

Can someone chime-in on what high-school big-man recruiting has looked like over the past few years for the Heels (near-gets, misses, etc), especially knowing that Mondo's time was coming to a close?
My personal feeling isthat high-school recruiting still presents the best opportunity to get prospects. But because of lack of depth of knowledge on it, I'm willing to readily alter my opinion.

Last edited:
Y’all need to take a breath. There is still a lot of talent out there.

We are a top 25 team AS IT STANDS. There is still plenty of talent left in the portal to make us a top 10 team.

Also people seem to be speaking definitively about NIL money when AJ has consistently said we’ve had enough money.

Reactions: gt500jimmy
Absolutely pathetic job by the staff, and especially the people running UNC's NIL. We need a starting PF and especially a starting C. Most of the top options didn't even visit us. The one guy that did visit chose Alabama (who also took a Tar Heel legacy recruit a year ago.)

We have all this backcourt talent led by RJ Davis, and our entire front court is made up of bench players who are going to get destroyed by most of the ACC.
Again you verbally tear down UNC Basketball and UNC current players...

Well… Elliot Cadeau better be generational!!!!!

In all seriousness, I don’t know how the final roster will look but it looks like one of the returning projected starters needs to take a seismic leap for this to be a serious deep March contending team.

Cadeau probably needs to take a leap to becoming one of the better PGs in the country with fewer gaping critical holes in his game.

I’m guessing Washington and High need to take significant steps forward mainly because Washington probably isn’t a 30 MPG player? So High probably gets real minutes.

It would really help if Ian Jackson is a plus 3-level scorer from day one too.

As of now, jumps from Cadeau, Washington and High (specifically Washington and High) aren’t a luxury. They’re almost mandatory if this team wants to play serious games 2nd weekend and on in March.

Right now, I would want this team shooting 25+ 3s per game.

Basically if we get nobody else, Withers and Washington are our starters getting 25-30mpg each with our main and only backup being High who will be getting 20mpg.. no way any of those guys deserve the minutes I just listed.. Brown will never see the floor and if he does, it's only because Hubert and the staff failed to get another big body. Withers, Washington, or High will get manhandled by any big man in the country. They are not physically strong enough to keep players like Ballo, Dickinson, Cliff, etc away from getting whatever they want inside.. at this rate we DESPERATELY need Obosor or Omier. They may only be 6'7 or 6'8 but they will NOT get abused down low. They have the strength to hold their own.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
I think it is obvious to say NIL and significantly-altered transfer rules has completely changed what recruiting looks like, completely changing what college bball looks like, all in a very small window of time.

Can someone chime-in on what high-school big-man recruiting has looked like over the past few years for the Heels (near-gets, misses, etc), especially knowing that Mondo's time was coming to a close?
My personal feeling isthat high-school recruiting still presents the best opportunity to get prospects. But because of lack of depth of knowledge on it, I'm willing to readily alter my opinion.
Will Shaver - bust, transferred
Jalen Washington - injured repeatedly, jury's out, 8 mins per game last year
GG Jackson - best commitment, stolen by South Carolina, became a star late in the NBA season
Zayden High - staff originally passed, then offered him when it appeared we were losing GG, was one of the most foul prone players in UNC history last season
James Brown - looked like a solid high 4 star when he committed, transferred to a great program Link Academy, terrible senior year now a 3 star

Basically if we get nobody else, Withers and Washington are our starters getting 25-30mpg each with our main and only backup being High who will be getting 20mpg.. no way any of those guys deserve the minutes I just listed.. Brown will never see the floor and if he does, it's only because Hubert and the staff failed to get another big body. Withers, Washington, or High will get manhandled by any big man in the country. They are not physically strong enough to keep players like Ballo, Dickinson, Cliff, etc away from getting whatever they want inside.. at this rate we DESPERATELY need Obosor or Omier. They may only be 6'7 or 6'8 but they will NOT get abused down low. They have the strength to hold their own.
We aren't even allowed to contact Omier.

Not sure if we're too late to recruit Osobor.

Obviously there is a year to year progression so at the least Washington High and Withers will be some what better even if it’s not much

We’re not small when Powell and Jackson are the guards

It’s hard for me to comprehend that you can be on national TV as a starting Center for UNC and looked up to like a basketball God and not beat the doors down to get it

Reactions: DaSheed
NIL amount isn't an issue. The "issue" is how it's decided if a player is worth what he's asking and would he be a good fit for the team. And a good fit for the team doesn't just mean he fills a position.

• Love
Reactions: ohio tarheels
It’s hard for me to comprehend that you can be on national TV as a starting Center for UNC and looked up to like a basketball God and not beat the doors down to get it
Blows me away also. What’s going on?

1 - how much money does UNC basketball have to build a roster each year? What is that number?
2 - is that info public? If not, what is the explanation for why it is not public?
3 - what do other schools have to offer?
4 - where does the money come from? Donations? Revenue share?
5 - are donations made to programs that ultimately end up in some kid’s pocket tax deductible?
6 - how does a collective work?

TIA

Anyone? Anyone?

Reactions: DaSheed
NIL amount isn't an issue. The "issue" is how it's decided if a player is worth what he's asking and would he be a good fit for the team. And a good fit for the team doesn't just mean he fills a position.
THIS^^^^^. 1000 times, this.

One neurotic, overly negative poster keeps trying to sell this narrative. It's been debunked repeatedly by those in the know.

We have NIL money but choose who and how much to spend it on.

The reports (truthful or not) is that a school offered 2 mil to Cliff and he didn't choose them. Kinda debunks the whole "we got out bid" theory doesn't it?

Does it suck that we don't have a five and there are really no quality fives left in the portal, absolutely. I would bet everything I have that it is not because Hubert and the staff have not done their absolute best to get them here. Where errors made? Perhaps? I don't know and, unless you are in the coaching office, you probably don't know either.

Things happen and Carolina will be fine!

PS -Don't "fans" root FOR their teams? Our resident negative-nelly hasn't said a positive word about Carolina, it's coaching staff, most of its players, our NIL director, this board or it's admin and actually has his own thread on TOS because folks there are so fed up with him. Not certain we need "fans" like that! - Sorry, Rant over😂

Last edited:
THIS^^^^^. 1000 times, this.

One neurotic, overly negative poster keeps trying to sell this narrative. It's been debunked repeatedly by those in the know.

We have NIL money but choose who and how much to spend it on.

The reports (truthful or not) is that a school offered 2 mil to Cliff and he didn't choose them. Kinda debunks the whole "we got out bid" theory doesn't it?

Does it suck that we don't have a five and there are really no quality fives left in the portal, absolutely. I would bet everything I have that it is not because Hubert and the staff have not done their absolute best to get them here. Where errors made? Perhaps? I don't know and, unless you are in the coaching office, you probably don't know either.

Things happen and Carolina will be fine!

PS -Don't "fans" root FOR their teams? Our resident negative-nelly hasn't said a positive word about Carolina, it's coaching staff, most of its players, this board or it's admin and actually has his own thread on TOS because folks there are so fed up with him. Not certain we need "fans" like that! - Sorry, Rant over😂

I mean we dont know what Bama’s number was.

So he couldve turned down 2 million and weve couldve been outbid.

It may have been 2 mil Gtown, 1.9 bama and UNC lower. AJ replied to a comment i made that we offered below 1.7

Thiero off the board. Didn't even visit UNC. A reoccurring theme under our new NIL leadership.

Something that didn't happen in 2021, 2022, or 2023.

i'm not worried - i am definitely frustrated. we have a backcourt that should be the best in the country and we are about to roll out zayden high and jalen washington to play with them

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
I hope jwash reads this board and goes mj/kobe levels of “i took it personally”
I hope JWash discovers a magic lamp and a genie grants his wish to restore the lateral mobility he lost from the knee injuries and surgeries (one of which was done incorrectly by the surgeon.)

Because it isn't JWash's desire or competitiveness that is holding him back.

I hope jwash reads this board and goes mj/kobe levels of “i took it personally”
I am interested and slightly excited to see what kind of jump he does make. Talent and drive is there. Maybe with another year removed from injury he can hit another level.

I think the reason why we didn’t get a big in the portal this year is because our coaching staff believes that Washington is going to be the starter. For retrospect Bacot averaged a block every 20 minutes while Washington was every 14. I think Washington is going to have a ton of you all singing a new tune next year.

I think the reason why we didn’t get a big in the portal this year is because our coaching staff believes that Washington is going to be the starter. For retrospect Bacot averaged a block every 20 minutes while Washington was every 14. I think Washington is going to have a ton of you all singing a new tune next year.
He may very well be! But we have zero depth at the 4/5 spot is my main concern.

I think the reason why we didn’t get a big in the portal this year is because our coaching staff believes that Washington is going to be the starter.
Our coaching staff were the ones pursuing top portal centers. IC's coast to coast podcast said the goal was to land a center that could play 30 minutes a game.

You can believe the earth is flat as much as you want Kyrie, you're still wrong.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Our coaching staff were the ones pursuing top portal centers. IC's coast to coast podcast said the goal was to land a center that could play 30 minutes a game.

You can believe the earth is flat as much as you want Kyrie, you're still wrong.
I hope your not too dense to understand satire.

I hope JWash discovers a magic lamp and a genie grants his wish to restore the lateral mobility he lost from the knee injuries and surgeries (one of which was done incorrectly by the surgeon.)

Here again you write slanderous remarks concerning a surgery this particular time (imo). If someone were to indeed take you to court, then you are well deserving of that honor (again imo). Unless you have seen his medical records there is not any way that you should be writing his here...

Last edited:
Here again you write slanderous remarks concerning a surgery this particular time (imo). If someone were to indeed take you to court,

You accusing Jalen Washington of slander too?

'Washington initially tore his ACL as a sophomore in high school and had surgery to repair it then. But he said the surgery “wasn’t performed properly.” He played his entire junior season on a bad knee, and the graft used to repair the knee gave out on him in July 2021.'

Reactions: Bur-Heel
Absolutely pathetic job by the staff, and especially the people running UNC's NIL. We need a starting PF and especially a starting C. Most of the top options didn't even visit us. The one guy that did visit chose Alabama (who also took a Tar Heel legacy recruit a year ago.)

We have all this backcourt talent led by RJ Davis, and our entire front court is made up of bench players who are going to get destroyed by most of the ACC.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by HBO Max

You accusing Jalen Washington of slander too?

'Washington initially tore his ACL as a sophomore in high school and had surgery to repair it then. But he said the surgery “wasn’t performed properly.” He played his entire junior season on a bad knee, and the graft used to repair the knee gave out on him in July 2021.'
I'm familiar with Jalen while at Gary West Side, before and after the first so called "botched" surgery. That was the thought/hope for explaining the post Jalen. It was looked into, nothing was found to move forward with that thought toward the surgery.

Much like Lonzo Ball after his 1st surgery, was assumed to be "botched" he now has had 2 more that did not fully "take" either, all by nationally renowned surgeons and is doubtful to ever get back to playing strength.

Jalen's second surgery did not restore even a glimmer of his former mobility either. Some bodies/knees respond differently. Jalen is a totally different player post injury for sure, and his game is still adjusting. I'm rooting for him.

I'm familiar with Jalen while at Gary West Side, before and after the first so called "botched" surgery. That was the thought/hope for explaining the post Jalen. It was looked into, nothing was found to move forward with that thought toward the surgery.

Much like Lonzo Ball after his 1st surgery, was assumed to be "botched" he now has had 2 more that did not fully "take" either, all by nationally renowned surgeons and is doubtful to ever get back to playing strength.

Jalen's second surgery did not restore even a glimmer of his former mobility either. Some bodies/knees respond differently. Jalen is a totally different player post injury for sure, and his game is still adjusting. I'm rooting for him.
Thank you for your insight. It would be tremendous if Jalen could complete his transformation into a true stretch 5. Put his jumper together with the strength to defend centers in the paint. Brook Lopez is a key playoff piece in that same role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT