ADVERTISEMENT

What are some of Roy's best coaching moments?

tysofast

Junior
Mar 1, 2008
I know there is allot of hate on Roy. Which got me thinking? What time do you most remember Roy doing something that put us in AW? Or you were like - That was a great coaching move?

Originally posted by tysofast:
I know there is allot of hate on Roy. Which got me thinking? What time do you most remember Roy doing something that put us in AW? Or you were like - That was a great coaching move?
I am going to be perfectly honest, he is what he is, nothing more nothing worse, a reflection of his talent all the way back to Kansas , when he has multiple Lottery picks he does well, when he has first round picks he does good... When He has a possible 2 late first round picks this year and other projects he does exactly what you think that would reflect... He went 12-4 Hansbroughs first year, looked good then, but then you realized he had the leading scorer in the history of the ACC...

I am still waiting for that wow moment , I have received that moment from him a zillion times when he brought in crazy ridiculous talent, and that does count as a wow moment, but crazy talent should always win 25 games even if you just let them play and tell them what time to get to the game...

I do not dis like him and jumped for joy when he was hired, but being strapped by all the crap surrounding the school has hampered what he does best and makes him a stud coach, and that is recruit, you cant discount getting in a plane or a car and dedicating your whole life to getting the best talent... for that I am wowed...

If he won this years ACC tourney I would be wowed, but I expect Loss to Lousiville, if he made the elite 8 I would be wowed but I expect a Loss in the sweet 16...so go ahead and wow me I would be thrilled..

This post was edited on 3/8 7:02 PM by Spaceytoyz

I mean you really have to fully understand the game and be vested into how it's played for a coach to put you in AW...you can draw up the best plays, defenses...but that won't get you very far if players fail to execute correctly.

I mean end of game last K has Okafor in a position to receive the inbounds pass in an obvious foul situation coming out of a timeout. But let's just ignore that and continue to bash Roy and blame all of our problems on him and how even though K is a smug rat, he is so much smarter and night and day better coach than Roy.

K has beat Roy a lot with a lesser team Talent wise, but Roy really doesn't beat K unless his team is a good bit better.., He is considered one of the best 5 coaches to ever coach at this level so its not a shot at Roy.. If Roy gets his 2010 type season Like K did without a player being drafted I will acknowledge his in game brilliance instead of his obvious recruiting brilliance

Its no secret that Roy needs the talent and they also need to understand his fast paced system. Seems like we have been trying to run the same fast break offense that Lawson and Ray ran. He doesn't seem to adjust much. I remember a few years back he changed his defensive strategy to guard Dooks 3 ball and that helped us win that game.

However, I know people love to have Roy (Myself included) I just dont know what it is that makes him irreplaceable or a coach mastermind? Can someone explain to me what he does that wins us games that otherwise we would lose?

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
2nd winningest active coach right now. Mark Few is #1.
c'mon man...we talking % or are we talking about hardware?

i'm not going to pine away to the days of dean smith and the automatic sweet 16 years just because we laced them up correctly...but i will complain about his style, never liked, and his persona, kind of a prick...unless you win titles, either conference or national, you can't come off as someone that complains about everything or can't adjust from time to time on the court...i'm not sure he commands the respect of many anymore, fans, media, and more importantly his players...if he did, people wouldn't bitch as much, he would get more criticism from the media(because the media hates winners), and his teams wouldn't look so lost.

as far as his best moments...getting felton, may, mccants, lawson, hansbrough, henson, and jmm to stay longer...putting stillman white in a position to succeed in a huge game...showing respect to dean with 4 corners, donning the retro uni's in games...going to zone more.

Hosting Dook last year, a week after the snow game was cancelled.
Roy out coached K hands down in that one and stunned a squad which was much, much more talented.

Also, a year before that when he went small-ball with JMM at centre.

Also when he benched Larry who? and started Kendall Marshall.

Originally posted by Ozheelfan:
Roy out coached K hands down in that one and stunned a squad which was much, much more talented.

That one immediately came to my mind because of the comments here commending his coaching efforts.

So what can be attributed to K's decision to have Okafor on the court in a position to receive the inbounds in an obvious foul situation? Just one example, but if K is so damn brilliant, why draw up a play in which your worst FT shooter has a high risk of being put on the line - in an one and one situation none the less - with roughly 2 secs coming off the clock?

Originally posted by strummingram:

Originally posted by Ozheelfan:

That one immediately came to my mind because of the comments here commending his coaching efforts.
Yep - look back to 2006 for another good example- the team that introduced "Hansbrough" to the front of "Indoor Stadium" without the help of yet-to-arrive Lawson/Wright/Ellington. Speaking of those guys, Coach K beat that set of players with a similary heralded recruiting class all of one time, and Lawson was out.

I do find it ironic that Heels fans keep ragging on Roy and saying that he can only beat K when he out-talent's dook, but how many threads do we have going where it's mentioned that the top 3 (or 4 of the top 5) players on the court Saturday night were dookies? If this is true, then K is out-talenting Roy, is he not? Therefore, dook is expected to beat us. Yet we certainly had them beat at H.I.S. a few weeks ago and let them off the hook, and we definitely had our chances Saturday (those two consecutive turn-overs that ran the deficit from 3 to 9 absolutely killed us - the Heels were scrambling to get back in the game from that point on). Just sayin....

Without Roy's coaching we don't win the title game in 2005 against Illinois.

Roy switched to a zone (!) to mask Felton's foul trouble in the first half, and late in the game started the Heels switching defensively to combat the multiple illegal moving screens the Illini were committing (even Billy Packer commented on that).

So thank the man for at least one banner.

Originally posted by Psychward4:
Without Roy's coaching we don't win the title game in 2005 against Illinois.

Roy switched to a zone (!) to mask Felton's foul trouble in the first half, and late in the game started the Heels switching defensively to combat the multiple illegal moving screens the Illini were committing (even Billy Packer commented on that).

So thank the man for at least one banner.
It's funny you mention Packer and the moving screen topics. The one thing I remember about watching that game other than the obvious... was Packer talking about what a great screening team Illinois was all night long when so many were clearly moving.

And then in the last 5 minutes he switched his tune to "Illinois is now getting away with illegal screens and should continue to try and do so since the refs aren't calling them!"

Interesting we have some threads talking about how Roy is not recruiting anymore and then others saying K does more with less talent. In college basketball the team with the best player on the floor usually wins a game if it gets to crunch time. Since 2010 draft UNC has had 7 1st round picks (if you include Hairston) and duke has had 7. Of those duke has had 3 top 10 picks and UNC has had 1. The only year UNC clearly had better talent was 2011-12 and horrible missed calls down the stretch decided the game in Chapel Hill (duke was still ranked in top 10 at the time). UNC as the lower ranked team won the 2nd game in Durham by almost 20.

After this draft k will have had one of the top 2 picks (if Okafor goes 1 or 2) in 3 of the last 5 drafts and depending on what happens with Jones and Cook potentially 11 (and at least 9) 1st round picks. That is averaging out to 40% of duke's starting 5 being taken in draft every year since 2011. If Calipari has not been on his ridiculous roll everyone would be talking about what k has been doing as being crazy. Now someone please explain to me how duke's recent streak over UNC is due to brilliant coaching since k is making due with such lesser talent. The NCAA cloud over UNC has contributed a lot more to the duke wins than anything drawn up on k's clipboard.

^ Agreed. Duke's (sp) talent has been consistently better than ours the last few seasons, so based on alot of Roy's naysayers, then dook should be winning.

And, I'm getting sick of hearing about how dook only has 8 players... sheesh! They're all freaking burger boys aren't they?

Roy drew up a great play to wayne ellington at clemson to win the game on a last second shot.

roy having the 2009 squad ready to just demolish the NCAA tournament competition to me is the his impressive accomplishment. he had those guys playing lights out at just the right time. talented or not, it is hard to get the most talented team to win night after night in a one and done enviroment. ask dean with the 84, 86, 94, 95 squads. if i am correct he even called a timeout in the early part of the second half when things got tight with LSU and from that point on there was no looking back.

Roy's a hell of a coach be damn glad we have him. We are a bunch of spoiled babies. Some worse than others and I hate threads like this because some people no matter the topic cant seem to stay on topic. The Topic Is. "What are some of Roy's Best Coaching Moments"

Recruiting
even when he has a cloud over his head he had a great recruiting year last year2005 2009 championship
would have had another one in 2012 if not for the injuries
Roy has owned Tom Izzo Percentage wise only one guy has a higher percentageNoone alive today loves Carolina moreHe lets his teams play
trusts his players - I for one that hates when a coach calls timeout to set up every single play at the end of the game. He has always let his players do what they do.He has owned NC StateI love the fact that he calls out our fans for being lame and sitting on their hands during the gamesWilliams has contributed $200,000 to the Carolina Covenant, an initiative at North Carolina that allows low-income students to attend the University debt-free. Roy and Wanda serve as honorary co-chairs of a $10 million campaign to endow the program.He was recognized at North Carolina in 2006, as he had a surprisingly successful season after losing 96% of the 2005 championship squad's scoring productivity. He is only the seventh coach in history to win the award twice and the second to do it at two different schools.Forbes as America's Best College Basketball Coach in February 2009

Kind of amazing how soon we all forget what the Man has done for UNC. Stop fussing a be a fan. We are LUCKY people

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT