ADVERTISEMENT

What Depth Will Do for Us This Year - According to Hubert

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
[my highlights]

"I just really think depth is really going to be important for us this year, having guys that come off the bench that give us consistent, great play," UNC head coach Hubert Davis said earlier this week on the Jon Rothstein podcast. "I think it makes it even better for RJ and Caleb and Leaky and Pete Nance and Armando to be the best that they can be. And I think it's going to make us better defensively, a situation where we can change defenses, we can pick up full court. We can get more aggressive to create turnovers when we have more depth. It's always a Carolina staple of our transition game, wanting to be the fastest team in the country transitioning from defense to offense. I think depth plays a part in all those things being the best that you can be." -- HD interview

A lot of us have been calling for more full court pressure for years now. Maybe this is the year?

Hmmmmm...sounds like what many of us have been asserting all along! Hubs will take full advantage of our deep, talented, and close-knit team! It is too bad Live Action was postponed because I can't wait to see us flying around the court. We will cause havoc on O and D and come at peeps in waves! Once we get our rhythm, we will be a real problem, but the faithful will have to stay strong while the kinks are worked out! Don't identify yourself if we lose a game or two or sometimes lapse in focus or effort! Choose to be positive, give constructive criticism, avoid bashing AND we can help push this team over the top!

Hmmmmm...sounds like what many of us have been asserting all along! Hubs will take full advantage of our deep, talented, and close-knit team! It is too bad Live Action was postponed because I can't wait to see us flying around the court. We will cause havoc on O and D and come at peeps in waves! Once we get our rhythm, we will be a real problem, but the faithful will have to stay strong while the kinks are worked out! Don't identify yourself if we lose a game or two or sometimes lapse in focus or effort! Choose to be positive, give constructive criticism, avoid bashing AND we can help push this team over the top!
Hubert played for Dean Smith and assistant coached for Roy for what, 8-9yrs, so clearly he realizes the value of the up tempo game and knows the key to that is forcing TOs in the back court that lead to run outs for us. He could not do that last season with the injuries and losses to the line up that occurred during the season to guys he had slotted PT for. You have to slow it down when you do not trust your bench depth that is available. We go a solid 2 deep across the board and with so many guys able to play multiple positions you have to go deep in to that bench in order to get guys the PT for their development. If not we lose really good players to the transfer portal rather than see them develop in to great Tar Heel players for this and future seasons. So I really don't see Hubert as having a lot of choice but to ramp things up and relying on his deep bench when the amped up pace tires out the starters.

This team is built more to fit the running game than a half court game because we are really athletic and have guys that would rather finish at and above the rim than a group of great jump shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT