ADVERTISEMENT

What type scheduling would be best to draw larger crowds?

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
The conference scheduling is what it is, and we do not have Clemson and FSU in our division. Therefore, if scheduling matters to attendance, starting with season ticket sales, it must all be done with OOC games.

UNC fans are not going to be excited to buy season tickets unless the Home slate is enticing. And that almost always means having a Name Brand come to Kenan. National Name Brand.

To have 1 Home game per year vs. an OOC Name Brand, you must play 2 Name Brands each season. Balance that OOC schedule with 1 1-AA team and 1 typical loser from among the weaker Group of 5 leagues, both played in Chapel Hill.

That means no games vs. ECU, unless ECU is accounted a loser among Group of 5 and the game is always in Kenan.

Obviously, Name Brand would need to be broadly defined. Arkansas would fit because it is the SEC and has a 72,000 seat stadium and won a National Title in 1964. TCU would fit because it is in the Big 12 and has a very good football history, including the great run under Patterson. Missouri would fit because it has a pair of SEC East titles. Ok St would fit because it has Pickens money and Mike Gundy. Even Rutgers could work because it is in the Big Ten and NJ is loaded with talent.

Reactions: randman1
I think to make this a worthwhile thread we have to assume that we will get to the 8-9 wins a season mark with some 10-11s mixed in. I think woad has a good idea above. Need to play some name teams.

Ironically, ucf is a name brand among people paying attention. Avg fan will shrug, but in lots of circles they are the defending Natty champ, will probably be ranked when they enter kenan.

The conference scheduling is what it is, and we do not have Clemson and FSU in our division. Therefore, if scheduling matters to attendance, starting with season ticket sales, it must all be done with OOC games.

UNC fans are not going to be excited to buy season tickets unless the Home slate is enticing. And that almost always means having a Name Brand come to Kenan. National Name Brand.

To have 1 Home game per year vs. an OOC Name Brand, you must play 2 Name Brands each season. Balance that OOC schedule with 1 1-AA team and 1 typical loser from among the weaker Group of 5 leagues, both played in Chapel Hill.

That means no games vs. ECU, unless ECU is accounted a loser among Group of 5 and the game is always in Kenan.

Obviously, Name Brand would need to be broadly defined. Arkansas would fit because it is the SEC and has a 72,000 seat stadium and won a National Title in 1964. TCU would fit because it is in the Big 12 and has a very good football history, including the great run under Patterson. Missouri would fit because it has a pair of SEC East titles. Ok St would fit because it has Pickens money and Mike Gundy. Even Rutgers could work because it is in the Big Ten and NJ is loaded with talent.
I agree except the Rutgers part.

Scheduling against: happy appy, ETSU, Western, Charlotte, A&T and Georgia State..........phew! What more could you ask for?
Dickie never tried to stick us with that crap.

Schedule wins. Get to 10 wins and stay there for two or three years so we can actually recruit well enough to beat the top level teams when we schedule them.

Nobody is going to come to UNC to lose to Ohio St and Bama. Scheduling big name programs does absolutely nothing for the football program when we lose. You think anybody outside of UNC's fanbase remembers Pianalto having his helmet ripped off in the end zone against LSU?...

If any team in the coastal runs the table and beats clemson they're almost certainly going to the playoff, even without a signature OOC win. We don't need to schedule games that we can't realistically win right now.

Build up the win total to boost the programs rep. Then you can build up recruiting, so you'll have the talent to beat the big name OOC programs. I'd love to compete with top level programs but we won't have the talent or depth to do it for a few years.

People can trash playing weaker teams all they want, but there's a reason that even Alabama tries to schedule the Southern alabama state school for the deaf and blind before the iron bowl. A well placed game against WCU could be the difference maker in deciding a coastal championship.

Reactions: tarheel0910
You have to crawl before you can walk. We could always schedule all power 5 teams for our occ games and get our brains beat out. Facts of the matter are that we are not a very good football program right now!

You have to crawl before you can walk. We could always schedule all power 5 teams for our occ games and get our brains beat out. Facts of the matter are that we are not a very good football program right now!

We are in year 6 of our head coach's tenure.....and we aren't a very good football program right now.........and the AD is sticking the fans with crappy schedules.

We need to be cleaning house!!!!

We are in year 6 of our head coach's tenure.....and we aren't a very good football program right now.........and the AD is sticking the fans with crappy schedules.

Are you suggesting that we get rid of Bubba? If so, there is no way I can take you seriously as a poster.

You fell to mention that were in 6+ years of a NCAA black cloud hanging over our heads also. We lost a ton of high quality recruits because of that. If all that crap didn't happen there is no way the football program would be where it is today.

Ironically, ucf is a name brand among people paying attention. Avg fan will shrug, but in lots of circles they are the defending Natty champ, will probably be ranked when they enter kenan.
True now, but UCF is not the kind of name that sells tickets long term. Plus, no matter what UCF did last year or the year before, because UCF is not in a P5. a loss to UCF by a program that hopes to rise is a bad loss.

You think anybody outside of UNC's fanbase remembers Pianalto having his helmet ripped off in the end zone against LSU?....
I don't know any non-UNC fan who remembers Pianalto's name. I know lots of hardcore SEC fans who remember that game and know that if we had played with a full roster we would have won the game.

I'd like to see us schedule tougher, higher profile programs. Just not sure it's us or them that holds that back. We had a deal with Ohio State, for example, and they pulled back. They have generally had a surprisingly weak schedule. Maybe that'd be the same with us but certainly not every year. I think the Big Ten changed some rules on conference games.

So whom could we get to do a home and home and perhaps start a bit of tradition? I have no idea but would like to see these as options (most closer to home so it's easier to travel and attend).

Tennessee (fairly close)
Auburn (fairly big time program)
South Carolina
West Virginia
LSU (longer trip but great state to visit)
Maryland perhaps? Used to play them every year, albeit they are not as high profile

Are you suggesting that we get rid of Bubba? If so, there is no way I can take you seriously as a poster.

Just what has Bubba done?
Basketball and football attendance are both down.
We haven't renewed to contract for Mike Fox.
Most of the facilities upgrades were already in the planning stages when Bubba got here.
What is it that Bubba has done that couldn't or wouldn't have been done by any other competent AD?

I'd like to see us schedule tougher, higher profile programs. Just not sure it's us or them that holds that back. We had a deal with Ohio State, for example, and they pulled back. They have generally had a surprisingly weak schedule. Maybe that'd be the same with us but certainly not every year. I think the Big Ten changed some rules on conference games.

So whom could we get to do a home and home and perhaps start a bit of tradition? I have no idea but would like to see these as options (most closer to home so it's easier to travel and attend).

Tennessee (fairly close)
Auburn (fairly big time program)
South Carolina
West Virginia
LSU (longer trip but great state to visit)
Maryland perhaps? Used to play them every year, albeit they are not as high profile
I don't want to play Maryland under any circumstance. TN and little Carolina would be the logical choices. TN has backed out on us too though.

USuCk in charlotte should be a regular thing. That's an easy one to work in for both programs since it's only a one game commitment at a time, and provides a great storyline (battle for the Carolinas). Plus it gives me an excuse to eat a ton of wings before the game

Rutgers has cancelled a 2 game series with UCLA in 2020 and 2021.

A visit to the Rose Bowl would be good.

USuCk in charlotte should be a regular thing. That's an easy one to work in for both programs since it's only a one game commitment at a time, and provides a great storyline (battle for the Carolinas). Plus it gives me an excuse to eat a ton of wings before the game
SoCar must play Clemson every year. Not likely it would want to play 2 ACC teams most years.

But if SoCar were still in the ACC, I'd be for a permanent neutral site game in Charlotte.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT