ADVERTISEMENT

What Was The Greatest Movie Ever Made . . . ?

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
Please nominate up to 5 movies that you think may be that #1 one of all-time . .

The Godfather

The Wizard of Oz

12 Angry Men

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Cool Hand Luke

Whatja got OOTB . . ?

The Godfather
The Godfather II
It's A Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Forrest Gump
Blazing Saddles

Just some personal favorites. Not gonna tell you a couple of these are the greatest movies ever made, but I love these, as well as a bunch more, and thought I'd throw them out there.

Good ones above. Too many to name just one. The Blues Brothers has to be mentioned in the category of comedy.

Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Singing In The Rain
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Chinatown
Schindler's List
The Shawshank Redemption
Star Wars
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Saving Private Ryan

The Book of Eli
The Green Mile
Pulp Fiction
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Goodfellas

post-35884-that-dont-make-no-sense-gif-O-RZSo.gif

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
No order and just s random list that comes to mind:

Star Wars.

The Godfather 1&2

The Shawshank Redemption.

I kid you not...Giardians of the Galaxy.

The departed.

...this is really just a list of recent movies that I like

The Usual Suspects
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Good Will Hunting
Big Lebowski
Forrest Gump
Titanic
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
The Dark Knight, just because Heath Ledger's joker may have been the greatest villain ever
Lord of the Rings
Blow
The Green Mile
The Pianist
Snatch
Se7en
Rounders
V for Vendetta

jeez.... I cant even get my list down to 10. I could easily keep going

Casablanca
Fail Safe
Citizen Kane
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Silverado

I'm sorry, but "Citizen Kane" bored me senseless.

I read "The Godfather" before I saw it so that just set me up for disappointment. Even though I thought the movie was excellent on it's own it just couldn't match my expectations...but it would still make my Top 5.

Same for "Jaws".

I never understood all the hoopla for "Apocalypse Now". I thought Robert Duval was great in it, however.

I love "Gone With The Wind" and "The Ten Commandments". The sweeping visual effects and images of both films just blow me away.

"Shawshank" makes my list...that was just a great movie.

"On The Waterfront"
...Brando may just be the greatest actor that has ever lived, IMO.

"To Kill A Mockingbird"...Grisham straight ripped off Harper Lee when he wrote A Time to Kill

I'm sorry, but "Citizen Kane" bored me senseless.

I read "The Godfather" before I saw it so that just set me up for disappointment. Even though I thought the movie was excellent on it's own it just couldn't match my expectations...but it would still make my Top 5.

Same for "Jaws".

I never understood all the hoopla for "Apocalypse Now". I thought Robert Duval was great in it, however.

I love "Gone With The Wind" and "The Ten Commandments". The sweeping visual effects and images of both films just blow me away.

"Shawshank" makes my list...that was just a great movie.

"On The Waterfront"
...Brando may just be the greatest actor that has ever lived, IMO.

"To Kill A Mockingbird"...Grisham straight ripped off Harper Lee when he wrote A Time to Kill
Got to totally agree on Citizen Cane. I hope I never have to sit through that again. I realize (been told) it was really innovative for its time and I get that, but boring is boring.
May get attacked for this, but I have to put The Sound of Music out there.

I think everyone has already pretty much listed the greatest as far as I'm concerned.

Here are a few others (mostly old school) that I think could get an "honorable mention."

The Graduate - Starring Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft
The Bridge on the River Kwai - Starring Sir Alec Guinness and William Holden
The original Psycho - Starring Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh
Doctor Zhivago - Starring Omar Sharif, Julie Christie and Rod Steiger
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner - Starring Spencer Tracy, Sidney Portier and Katharine Hepburn
It's A Wonderful Life - Starring James Stewart and Donna Reed

To throw in a couple of Sports movies

Rudy
Hoosiers

Forrest Gump
The Dark Knight
Shawshank Redemption
Gladiator (personal favorite)
Christmas Vacation

I'm not sure I could come up with a single movie but my criteria for it would paraphrase Jim Valvano's ESPY speech. It would have to make me laugh, cry, and think.

Now as to the movie that had the most impact on me, it had to be Star Wars. This is mostly because I was 8 when it came out and it resonated with me. I even had dreams about flying X-wings and the Falcon...

Reactions: Raising Heel
Now as to the movie that had the most impact on me, it had to be Star Wars. This is mostly because I was 8 when it came out and it resonated with me. I even had dreams about flying X-wings and the Falcon...

Geez...I was a senior in high school when "Star Wars" came out. Some buddies and I got as stoned as a cheating Muslim housewife and went to see it. When the Millennium Falcon jumped to hyper space I nearly flipped the freak out, lol.

To Sir With Love
Bullitt
An Officer and a Gentleman
In The Heat of The Night
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Have so many favorites, but I'll try to go with five
American Graffiti
Annie Hall
Rocky
Gone with The Wind
The Hustler
Special mention for Broken Arrow w/James Stewart & Jeff Chandler. Maybe the first western that
looked at the Native Americans, in this case Apaches, as people of honor with morals and values equal to or greater than the white man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT