ADVERTISEMENT

What's your view of the NCAA FBS Playoffs?

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

You can heckle that all you want. But I maintain that change for change sake is retarded. They can dress it up and the suckers will believe that it's better this way...until they come up with a new subjective way that they claim is better and you and others might buy in again. I was fine with it the way it was. I'm not against tinkering to make things better. But like I tell my wife, my kids, my staff anyone else - my way is the best way until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your way is better. I see plenty of doubt with this.

Now, we'll agree to disagree.

First problem is, it doesn't have to be proved to you that another way is better. It only has to be proven in general. Beyond that, the reason they other poster's way is better is because it included automatic bids. That's the key. It means that every P5 team has the exact same chance to get into the playoffs, win your conference and you're in. That takes all the subjectivity out of it. You mentioned a scenario about Georgia Tech, about what they could possibly do if they were included in this hypothetical playoff format. Well, under that format, Georgia Tech had an opportunity to get in simply by winning their conference. So, they wouldn't be "left out," because they had their destiny in their hands.
Couldn't agree more!

I've always liked some of the Gunslinger's comments in the past, but he's out in left field on this whole issue....Yeah back in the day there were often times that the AP had a different champ, so 2 fan bases were happy, and the rest of us laughed about what a ridiculous way that a champion was crowned...Then, there was the BCS which the GS also likes....Both different Championship eras decided in most cases by sportswriters who either had a regional bias, or have never played the game of football in their life, mixed with various computer rankings from around the country...I thought back then that it was a pathetic way to crown a champion, and I feel even more strongely about it today....

Should TCU and Baylor be in the playoff?....Yeah, they probably should, but the NCAA chose to send only 4 teams to the playoffs instead of the 8 that should have been part of the new playoff system to begin with...The B-12 has the look of a conference that doesn't have a clue to what they want, or need to do...The B-12 decided not to have a championship game, but rather used the slogan "One True Champion" to recognize the team who finished at the top of the standings after playing every B-12 conference foe, but then reversed themselves, and gave out 2 trophies for a Co-B12 Championship to both TCU & Baylor, which meant that there was really NOT a "One True Champion" in the B-12 afterall...No wonder the committee chose an undisputed champion in Ohio State instead of the Co-Champ from the B-12.....I still believe that letting the 4 teams decide who is the champion, is far better than ANYTHING that has ever existed in terms of declaring a champion in D-1 College Football.....This isn't basketball as has been mentioned several times in this thread where the underdogs from small conferences have a chance to actually make the final 4 or even the championship game....Football is different in so many ways that the NCAA basketball model cannot work for Big Boy College Football...Basketball players don't beat or hit each other for the entire game, or they would foul out within a few minutes of the game....Back in the day, I would have loved to have seen one of the top teams challenge BYU when they won the national title as VOTED by the sportswriters!

Another thing that I like about this setup is not only does the committee pick the playoff teams, but they also picked the teams for the Cotton,Peach,Fiesta and Orange Bowls, and all of those bowl game will have great matchups with maybe the exception of the Boise St./Arizona Fiesta Bowl, but Boise did earn their way to the bowl based on the new criteria that is being used, so it's hard to argue against the Broncos inclusion, this year....Another thing is that the Committee chose to wet the appetite for the playoff games beginning at 5pm on Jan 1st 2015 with the Rose Bowl by scheduling the Peach,Orange and Fiesta Bowls on New Years Eve, while scheduling the Cotton bowl prior to the first playoff game....The Bowl Matchups are so much better that there's nothing to compare them too because they had always been chosen by the Bowl Officials in the past, but I guess Gunslinger liked that idea too..lol!

Originally posted by Tigertown@Rick:
Originally posted by topdecktiger:

You can heckle that all you want. But I maintain that change for change sake is retarded. They can dress it up and the suckers will believe that it's better this way...until they come up with a new subjective way that they claim is better and you and others might buy in again. I was fine with it the way it was. I'm not against tinkering to make things better. But like I tell my wife, my kids, my staff anyone else - my way is the best way until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your way is better. I see plenty of doubt with this.

Now, we'll agree to disagree.

First problem is, it doesn't have to be proved to you that another way is better. It only has to be proven in general. Beyond that, the reason they other poster's way is better is because it included automatic bids. That's the key. It means that every P5 team has the exact same chance to get into the playoffs, win your conference and you're in. That takes all the subjectivity out of it. You mentioned a scenario about Georgia Tech, about what they could possibly do if they were included in this hypothetical playoff format. Well, under that format, Georgia Tech had an opportunity to get in simply by winning their conference. So, they wouldn't be "left out," because they had their destiny in their hands.
Couldn't agree more!

I've always liked some of the Gunslinger's comments in the past, but he's out in left field on this whole issue....Yeah back in the day there were often times that the AP had a different champ, so 2 fan bases were happy, and the rest of us laughed about what a ridiculous way that a champion was crowned...Then, there was the BCS which the GS also likes....Both different Championship eras decided in most cases by sportswriters who either had a regional bias, or have never played the game of football in their life, mixed with various computer rankings from around the country...I thought back then that it was a pathetic way to crown a champion, and I feel even more strongely about it today....

Should TCU and Baylor be in the playoff?....Yeah, they probably should, but the NCAA chose to send only 4 teams to the playoffs instead of the 8 that should have been part of the new playoff system to begin with...The B-12 has the look of a conference that doesn't have a clue to what they want, or need to do...The B-12 decided not to have a championship game, but rather used the slogan "One True Champion" to recognize the team who finished at the top of the standings after playing every B-12 conference foe, but then reversed themselves, and gave out 2 trophies for a Co-B12 Championship to both TCU & Baylor, which meant that there was really NOT a "One True Champion" in the B-12 afterall...No wonder the committee chose an undisputed champion in Ohio State instead of the Co-Champ from the B-12.....I still believe that letting the 4 teams decide who is the champion, is far better than ANYTHING that has ever existed in terms of declaring a champion in D-1 College Football.....This isn't basketball as has been mentioned several times in this thread where the underdogs from small conferences have a chance to actually make the final 4 or even the championship game....Football is different in so many ways that the NCAA basketball model cannot work for Big Boy College Football...Basketball players don't beat or hit each other for the entire game, or they would foul out within a few minutes of the game....Back in the day, I would have loved to have seen one of the top teams challenge BYU when they won the national title as VOTED by the sportswriters!

Another thing that I like about this setup is not only does the committee pick the playoff teams, but they also picked the teams for the Cotton,Peach,Fiesta and Orange Bowls, and all of those bowl game will have great matchups with maybe the exception of the Boise St./Arizona Fiesta Bowl, but Boise did earn their way to the bowl based on the new criteria that is being used, so it's hard to argue against the Broncos inclusion, this year....Another thing is that the Committee chose to wet the appetite for the playoff games beginning at 5pm on Jan 1st 2015 with the Rose Bowl by scheduling the Peach,Orange and Fiesta Bowls on New Years Eve, while scheduling the Cotton bowl prior to the first playoff game....The Bowl Matchups are so much better that there's nothing to compare them too because they had always been chosen by the Bowl Officials in the past, but I guess Gunslinger liked that idea too..lol!

Let me clarify. I have no affinity for either the BCS, the new way or the pre-BCS way. Frankly, I don't care. The only point I'm trying to make here is that all of you keep saying that "now, we'll have a real champion". And I'm saying the new way is just as flawed as any other way we've had in the past. The other point I'd make is that I watch sports to be entertained while I'm watching. If the Heels aren't playing, more times than not, I couldn't care less who wins and who loses. It's about the drama in the moment. So if Bama wins, fine. If FSU wins, that's also fine. I don't live and die by who wins what supposed national championship. It's just not that important to me to get all bent about how the powers that be crown their champion.

The only point I'm trying to make here is that all of you keep saying that "now, we'll have a real champion". And I'm saying the new way is just as flawed as any other way we've had in the past.
Then maybe we're agreeing more than either of us thought:
Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Any selection process is going to be inherently subjective.[/QUOTE]Every methodology is going to have flaws. I think the difference may lie in the degree of the flaw. Most people seem to think the new method is less flawed than the previous one, and an 8 or 12 team playoff would be even less flawed. But yes, the inherent problems will never be removed unless week 1 of college football begins with a tournament that includes every single FBS team and plays until only 1 is left standing. We could do all that in 7 weeks, by the way. Maybe longer if they make it a double-elimination tourney.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The only point I'm trying to make here is that all of you keep saying that "now, we'll have a real champion". And I'm saying the new way is just as flawed as any other way we've had in the past.
Maybe. I just take issue with the idea that what we had pre-BCS was so ridiculous and what we have now is all that is good and right.

Maybe. I just take issue with the idea that what we had pre-BCS was so ridiculous and what we have now is all that is good and right.
You are correct. The BCS ws not a disaster, not close. I think every year the 2 overall best teams got matched in the championship. And eaxch major conference got its champ in a major bowl every year.

And this 4 team playoff has begun with m,ore legit criticism than can be leveled at any BCS year.

I think the 4 is not going to work and we are headed for 8 rather quickly, with champs of each of the P5 guaranteed, and the committee picking 3 at-large teams and seeding the field.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
And this 4 team playoff has begun with more legit criticism than can be leveled at any BCS year.
i'm not sure i agree with that. i seem to remember plenty of criticism and teams feeling cheated during the BCS years. whether there was more controversy then vs. now is an opinion you can't really quantify.

...we are headed for 8 rather quickly, with champs of each of the P5 guaranteed, and the committee picking 3 at-large teams and seeding the field.
i agree with that.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:
And this 4 team playoff has begun with more legit criticism than can be leveled at any BCS year.
i'm not sure i agree with that. i seem to remember plenty of criticism and teams feeling cheated during the BCS years. whether there was more controversy then vs. now is an opinion you can't really quantify.
How quickly they forget the sh*tstorm over the Alabama-LSU rematch. A team that didn't even win its division against a team that had already beaten them on the road.

How quickly they forget the sh*tstorm over the Alabama-LSU rematch. A team that didn't even win its division against a team that had already beaten them on the road.
Can't remember for sure, but wasn't that the season that OK State got left out of the mix for the title?....Also remember Auburn getting left at home for the championship matchup one year....Night and Day difference IMO between then and now, and agree that the 8 team playoff concept is just around the corner especially if one conference gets 2 members into the final four leaving out 2 conference champions from the P5?

Honestly, I have no memory of any sh*tstorm. You're saying people were up in arms because it was a rematch? I don't doubt that, I just don't recall. Well, yeah, that way sucked too. Just like this way sucks. So why f*ck with it? Because it sucks less, in your opinion? Ok, I guess. Or we could just go back to having bowls and letting the writers pick who they think are the champs and letting the coaches pick who they think are the champs. If they pick two different teams, then so be it. More than one champion - oh the horror. How would life go on?

This post was edited on 12/10 9:46 AM by gunslingerdick

Honestly, I have no memory of any sh*tstorm. You're saying people were up in arms because it was a rematch? I don't doubt that, I just don't recall. Well, yeah, that way sucked too. Just like this way sucks. So why f*ck with it? Because it sucks less, in your opinion? Ok, I guess. Or we could just go back to having bowls and letting the writers pick who they think are the champs and letting the coaches pick who they think are the champs. If they pick two different teams, then so be it. More than one champion - oh the horror. How would life go on?

This post was edited on 12/10 9:46 AM by gunslingerdick
And Bama and LSU defintely were the 2 best teams that year.

And the year undefrated Auburn did not get nto the BCS champiopnship game - Oklahoma did have a more imporessive regular season, though it was awful when it faced SC.

Ohio St getting in this party of 4 is worse than Auburn getting left out of that party of 2.

i respect all these opinions, because they're just that -- opinions. top 2 or top 4 either way a few great teams will feel left out, teams that legitimately deserve a shot at the title. i've always liked an 8 team playoff. a 9th or 10th ranked team claiming it deserves a shot at the title doesn't carry the same weight for me. the only thing that might prevent the logical move to 8 teams is the press who love controversy, the more the better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT