ADVERTISEMENT

which recruiting slots to fill in 2017?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
With James Pierre gone, we are on track for 85 scholarships. We graduate 15 seniors, so if nobody goes pro early or takes medical hardship, flunks-out, etc, we might only be able to bring in 15 rookies from HS class of 2016.

We have 8 on board,

3 WR
1 RB
1 LB
1 DE
1 DT
1 OL

Meaning 7 left plus a few due to potential pro departures, grades. I'm more worried about Elijah Hood than anyone else, but Donnie Miles and Nazair are both in their 4 yr, could have degrees in hand. I saw Donnie's name in a mock draft (very late) while I didn't see Nazair's at all.

Anyway, with your 7+ what spots do you fill?

With James Pierre gone, we are on track for 85 scholarships. We graduate 15 seniors, so if nobody goes pro early or takes medical hardship, flunks-out, etc, we might only be able to bring in 15 rookies from HS class of 2016.

We have 8 on board,

3 WR
1 RB
1 LB
1 DE
1 DT
1 OL

Meaning 7 left plus a few due to potential pro departures, grades. I'm more worried about Elijah Hood than anyone else, but Donnie Miles and Nazair are both in their 4 yr, could have degrees in hand. I saw Donnie's name in a mock draft (very late) while I didn't see Nazair's at all.

Anyway, with your 7+ what spots do you fill?
I still cannot figure if Rasheed Martin is a commit or what. It seems like we need another DE or 2 and at least one more LB , a DT or 2 and we have several DB's that we are listed as warm on. I don't think we are really looking hard at any QB's. We are also listed as warm with several OL and surprisingly several WR's.

Don't forget about M.J. Stewart as a potential guy to leave early for the draft.

Also, @blazers don't get so hung up on that 85 number. That number is very "massageable" if you'll allow that word. That number includes guys currently with schollys who could be asked to give up their scholly, and there's always flunk-outs, early departures, and guys who choose to give up football. There always is.

yeah, i'm guessing we end up bringing in 19 or 20.

I forgot about MJ. He seems like he'd definitely be a good candidate for the pros. He isn't tall, but he's fast, makes interceptions, seems solid against the run. Kinda hard to tell what NFL scouts really want though. In my opinion, I could see MJ going earlier than Nazair, but maybe somebody likes Nazair as a 3-4 DE.

yeah, i'm guessing we end up bringing in 19 or 20.

I forgot about MJ. He seems like he'd definitely be a good candidate for the pros. He isn't tall, but he's fast, makes interceptions, seems solid against the run. Kinda hard to tell what NFL scouts really want though. In my opinion, I could see MJ going earlier than Nazair, but maybe somebody likes Nazair as a 3-4 DE.
IMO, M.J. definitely goes earlier than Naz. Hands down.

Regarding Hood, some say he is only the 10th best RB in his class. a list:

Leonard Fournette
Dalvin Cook
Christian McCaffrey
Nick Chubb
Wayne Gallman
Samaje Perine
Sony Michel
Royce Freeman
Jalen Hurd
Elijah Hood

then you have seniors like
James Conner, shock linwood, Tauren Foster... Wiscy's Clement.

But I saw he was projected 3rd or 4th round anyway. So who knows, but he'd probably go higher his senior yr.

Leonard Fournette
Dalvin Cook
Christian McCaffrey
Nick Chubb
Wayne Gallman
Samaje Perine
Sony Michel
Royce Freeman
Jalen Hurd
Elijah Hood

But I saw he was projected 3rd or 4th round anyway. So who knows, but he'd probably go higher his senior yr.
Holy sh*t that is a loaded RB class. My word.

^ yeah, some are saying Derrick Henry (drafted second) made a bunch of money leaving early as a junior cuz he would've been a handful of the guys above.

Leonard Fournette
Dalvin Cook
Christian McCaffrey
Nick Chubb
Wayne Gallman
Samaje Perine
Sony Michel
Royce Freeman
Jalen Hurd
Elijah Hood

Plus, Hood is an Eagle Scout - literally. He may well greatly prefer to play 4 years for the Heels, because that is doing your full duty.

I really hope he stays. I want his career stats to be among the best we've ever had.

Reactions: Archer2
Besides quality DL guys and another RB, we really need more O-linemen in this class, and my understanding is that is something we are recruiting for. We lose a whole lot of O-linemen the next 2 years, and you want to bring in guys early enough that can redshirt at that position.

If we could land another true DT and a running back with a few more O-linemen, I think we're pretty much set in terms of need. Probably need to shoot for a top notch cornerback as well.

Obviously anyone at any position that is truly outstanding is also welcome. We've got some good recruits already but imo, need to reload more on guys in the trenches.

QB Tate Martell has been offered. Obviously just a throw it out there offer casue I seriously doubt we are a contender.

I know this is 2017 recruiting, but anyone heard anything about 2016 Virginia commit/early enrollee Tre Harbison? I seen he is leaving Virginia because the coaching staff wants him to play fullback

If we could only take seven, i'd get
2 OT, 1 center , 2 Corners, 1 RB, then one of best avail from guard, safety, DT, DE, LB

If we could only take seven, i'd get
2 OT, 1 center , 2 Corners, 1 RB, then one of best avail from guard, safety, DT, DE, LB
CB Gentry Bonds 6'1" 175 from Murfreesboro , TN recently said the UNC offer stands out the most to him and Fedora told him he had chance to play early and yes he has an offer from Tenn. Also recent crystal ball pick for Nick Smith a 6' 3" 210# LB from FL.

I know this is 2017 recruiting, but anyone heard anything about 2016 Virginia commit/early enrollee Tre Harbison? I seen he is leaving Virginia because the coaching staff wants him to play fullback
Did we offer Harbison out of HS? We offered RB James Cook recently but he has reclassified to 2018.

I just realized in my scenario we'd only be taking a single LB in this class. Good thing we have early attrition ;)

CB Gentry Bonds 6'1" 175 from Murfreesboro , TN recently said the UNC offer stands out the most to him and Fedora told him he had chance to play early and yes he has an offer from Tenn. Also recent crystal ball pick for Nick Smith a 6' 3" 210# LB from FL.
Bonds is the real deal. Riverdale has been a TN power for decades, since not long after it opened in the 1970s. And the best HS football is played in Middle TN.

People who know Middle TN football think Bonds can start in the SEC from at least his 2nd year. That Warren wants him badly confirms their assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT