ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

Hubert made a call to Justin McKoy (UVA)..
Looks like he is from Cary so that's a plus but I have to imagine Carolina would go after higher caliber players. No offense to McKoy.

IIRC, he was a low-ranking but promising kid who decommitted and then was snatched up by UVa shortly after we offered. At the time, I thought he looked like he needed a year or 2 - which is also how I felt about Puff - but then might be pretty good.

The couple of minutes I saw of him this year, he again made me feel he could be good with more PT under his belt.

Frankly, I don't mind that he got his growing pains out of the way on Virginia's dime. If Hubert still likes him, he could be a good fit at SF/PF.

Another kid we previously offered who's now in the portal is Josh Nickelberry. It was never clear to me whether he signed on with Louisville because we lost interest in him, or because he lost interest in us. Either way, he has languished there.

Hard to know if he could be good enough but I don't think we need another guard who struggles to hit from deep.

I also just noticed that Chris Lykes was picked up by Arkansas. I wonder why he left Miami?

He was a fun player to watch.

I still hope we give Timberlake (also from Miami) a call. I'll let Hubert decide if he fits, but I think he'll end up being quite good.

I guess if Hubert and Armando are good with it, I'm good with it.

C'mon down McKoy.

Edit: With Mando now reaching out to Kessler and McKoy, I think it is pretty clear he will be getting the information he needs from NBA teams to improve for next year at UNC. I fully expect him back next year.

Hmmm... how much you going to produce much less grow in a system happy with scoring 65 a game.
That system has also produced All American, All conference and NBA players. I'm not talking about his numbers, I'm talking about impact on the game. Watch UVA many times this year, don't remember him having a impact. Maybe he will be better on the Heels, we'll see.

Marcus Carr and Tre Mitchell are still available! I would love to see them and either Kessler or Aidoo come on board! I don't know much about McKoy, but if he got some Bennett coaching we know he was taught properly!

Reactions: TarHeelFanWV
Marcus Carr and Tre Mitchell are still available! I would love to see them and either Kessler or Aidoo come on board! I don't know much about McKoy, but if he got some Bennett coaching we know he was taught properly!
Carr is not a known shooter, shot 31% from 3 this year, He did shoot 36 % last year, but is a ball doninant player.
I am very interested in Mitchell.
Wondering if the McKoy offer is leverage against Kessler giving a quick decision. Maybe Hubert told McKoy if Kessler takes the spot, we no longer have scholly available.
I myself would rather have Mitchell as backup plan to Kessler.
I also think having Aidoo in the fold would be beneficial to getting Kessler back, rather than hurtful. Aidoo would be the backup 5 for Bacot, as well as the backup 4 for Kessler. If Aidoo is on the rister, Kessler won't be asked to be primary backup at the 5.
Love to see a 4 big lineup of
Bacot/ Aidoo at 5
Kessler/ Styles at 4

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
"Last season, Carr averaged 19.4 points, 4.9 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game"

That stat line is what has me interested in Carr. Put him beside Love and wow! (+ They rate him higher than Kessler in the portal FWIW.)

His offer was to get inside information on Virginia so UNC can finally start beating them again.

Because of that reason, I love it!
No need for inside info. Pretty clear what they do. Hit shots, play defense, don’t turn the ball over. Even I can see that.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Do we really need a PG from the portal?

How do we attract a good one when it seems almost certain that Caleb will be our lead PG next year and RJ will be our lead PG the year after? Why would anyone who is really good, leave their current school to come off the bench for at least a year? Wouldn't that player be looking for a starting role?

Alternatively, if a good PG is interested - someone good enough to maybe displace either of our current PGs - would that risk losing either Caleb or RJ to the portal?

How do we attract a good one when it seems almost certain that Caleb will be our lead PG next year and RJ will be our lead PG the year after? Why would anyone who is really good, leave their current school to come off the bench for at least a year? Wouldn't that player be looking for a starting role?

Alternatively, if a good PG is interested - someone good enough to maybe displace either of our current PGs - would that risk losing either Caleb or RJ to the portal?
I imagine Love is staying contingent on being the starting PG. Not sure there's anyone really better than him out there anyway. I'd go after a 3/4 shooter. Right now Bacot, Walton, and Love are the only guys I'd be excited to have starting. Hopefully Davis steps up a lot.

If Pastner leaves Ga Tech for Arizona, are there any Ga Tech players we'd be interested in?

Most of the better players are seniors or juniors and seniors like Moses Wright and Jose Alvarado probably want to go make some money. But if they want to use their extra COVID year to stay in school, should we be interested?

Another kid we previously offered who's now in the portal is Josh Nickelberry. It was never clear to me whether he signed on with Louisville because we lost interest in him, or because he lost interest in us. Either way, he has languished there.

Hard to know if he could be good enough but I don't think we need another guard who struggles to hit from deep.
He had some character concern. Reading the tea leaves we aren't interested in someone like that on the team.
I also just noticed that Chris Lykes was picked up by Arkansas. I wonder why he left Miami?

He was a fun player to watch.

I still hope we give Timberlake (also from Miami) a call. I'll let Hubert decide if he fits, but I think he'll end up being quite good.
Lykes was kinda a one man show, wasn't he? I guess they had Wong. He probably wanted to go somewhere with a good team, who just needed a PG. Could do better than Arkansas, but I suppose they're pretty good?
If Pastner leaves Ga Tech for Arizona, are there any Ga Tech players we'd be interested in?

Most of the better players are seniors or juniors and seniors like Moses Wright and Jose Alvarado probably want to go make some money. But if they want to use their extra COVID year to stay in school, should we be interested?
I'd take Wright or Alvarado in a heartbeat. If Love + Davis are okay playing the two and backup PG I think Alvarado/Love/Walton/stretch 4 transfer (or Kessler)/Bacot would be a fierce lineup. Harris, Davis, Puff, and new big off the bench. Wouldn't leave tons of time for Dunn/Styles, but not sure either is ready for big minutes next year. I imagine Love wants to be a starting PG though...

"Last season, Carr averaged 19.4 points, 4.9 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game"

That stat line is what has me interested in Carr. Put him beside Love and wow! (+ They rate him higher than Kessler in the portal FWIW.)

Carr is not a true pg, but a lead guard like Caleb Love. We don't need Carr unless he would replace something we already have, but Love is back so no need.

Lykes was kinda a one man show, wasn't he? I guess they had Wong. He probably wanted to go somewhere with a good team, who just needed a PG. Could do better than Arkansas, but I suppose they're pretty good?
#6 in the Country good! Only team to play Baylor within single digits in the tourney good! Good enough for Lykes and Toney good.

Fwiw I was told there us growing confidence that Kessler returns to the heels and will announce it, don't know a time line. This isn't a he is back but the staff seems pretty fired up that he is. Again my info is third hand, and this situation like recruiting in general is fluid this one more than most, but it appears some of you better learn to deal with it

Fwiw I was told there us growing confidence that Kessler returns to the heels and will announce it, don't know a time line. This isn't a he is back but the staff seems pretty fired up that he is. Again my info is third hand, and this situation like recruiting in general is fluid this one more than most, but it appears some of you better learn to deal with it
Thats great news but does that mean we would start 2 big men again? I have seen a few posts on here about that doesn’t work. Obviously neither Bacot nor Kessler will sit the bench. But it worked in 2017 with Hicks/Meeks

Thats great news but does that mean we would start 2 big men again? I have seen a few posts on here about that doesn’t work. Obviously neither Bacot nor Kessler will sit the bench. But it worked in 2017 with Hicks/Meeks
I think sophomore Kessler would be a huge upgrade from senior Brooks. In general I don't love starting two bigs that can't shoot but with this duo, let's go for it.

I think sophomore Kessler would be a huge upgrade from senior Brooks. In general I don't love starting two bigs that can't shoot but with this duo, let's go for it.
I’ve seen enough high school footage on Kessler to know he can shoot. The leap he makes this year will embarrass some of his critics.

Last edited:
I’ve seen enough high school footage on Kessler to know he can shoot. The leap he makes this year will embarrass some of his critics.
Yeah, I agree Arch, while I would not call it (out side shooting) the best part of his game it is better than he showed last season. I honestly see him as a bit better version of Tyler Zeller and last heard Zeller was not so worried about the mortgage payment! There is a little bit of John Henson in there, a guy that really believes he fits a different position and role than is really his sweet spot.

Qudus Wahab to Maryland. Great get for Turgeon. 12.7 pts, 8.7 rebs and 61.4 TS% at Georgetown last season.

I thought we should look at him.

Transfer Portal rankings came from my CBS Sports alerts on my phone. I get alerts from them and ESPN but I'm not savvy enough to find them again once deleted, lol! I am a take the best available when you have a spot open type! Most of our 2s are wings so can move smoothly to the 3. Love, Carr, Walton, Kessler, Bacot would be a dadgum good lineup. Obviously we go for Bigs + shooters, but best available, Carr, remains intriguing to me!

Anyone know anything about Ballo from Gonzaga? 7 footer, international kid with 3 years left.

Doesn't sound like we'd want him starting but maybe back up Bacot?

Whatever happened to Aidoo? Things seemed hot and heavy, then nothing. I know we had a coaching change but sounds like another good option for role player minutes..

Anyone know anything about Ballo from Gonzaga? 7 footer, international kid with 3 years left.

Doesn't sound like we'd want him starting but maybe back up Bacot?

Whatever happened to Aidoo? Things seemed hot and heavy, then nothing. I know we had a coaching change but sounds like another good option for role player minutes..
I think Hubert is prioritizing Walker right now. Seems like he wanted to get our 2 transfer portal guys and then he'll focus on any 2021 class adds.

That said, the staff has been in touch with Aidoo since Hubert was hired. I'd hope an offer comes out of their next conversation, whenever that happens.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
I think Hubert is prioritizing Walker right now. Seems like he wanted to get our 2 transfer portal guys and then he'll focus on any 2021 class adds.

That said, the staff has been in touch with Aidoo since Hubert was hired. I'd hope an offer comes out of their next conversation, whenever that happens.
I'm not familiar with McKoy. Was he brought on to play the three? If not, we still need a three, I have no confidence in Black at this point.

This of course if Kessler comes back otherwise we still need a 4 (I'm positive Bacot comes back).

I'm not familiar with McKoy. Was he brought on to play the three? If not, we still need a three, I have no confidence in Black at this point.

This of course if Kessler comes back otherwise we still need a 4 (I'm positive Bacot comes back).
McCoy said that Hubert has pitched him playing both the 3 and the stretch 4 spots.

I think this pickup is a direct response to Leaky not getting the job done here and giving him some very real competition. Listening to Hubert so far, I wouldn't be surprised to see some lineups that are Caleb/RJ/Kerwin/McCoy/Bacot (or Walker) and more traditional Caleb/Kerwin/McCoy/Walker/Bacot (all this obviously assuming Walker is back).

McCoy gives Hubert a lot of flexibility with his lineups because he can rebound like a 4 but also guard wings.

McCoy said that Hubert has pitched him playing both the 3 and the stretch 4 spots.

I think this pickup is a direct response to Leaky not getting the job done here and giving him some very real competition. Listening to Hubert so far, I wouldn't be surprised to see some lineups that are Caleb/RJ/Kerwin/McCoy/Bacot (or Walker) and more traditional Caleb/Kerwin/McCoy/Walker/Bacot (all this obviously assuming Walker is back).

McCoy gives Hubert a lot of flexibility with his lineups because he can rebound like a 4 but also guard wings.
Sounds good to me and if that is the case, once Kessler comes back I would focus all my attention on Aidoo and then call it a wrap for next year.

I just hope Hubert plays the best person rather than who has seniority. I think I read somewhere that will be the case.

If we don't get a good PF or C pretty quickly, how does that impact Bacot?

Justin is a nice addition, but if I'm Bacot, I'm looking for more help than that.

If he doesn't stay in the draft, that doesn't mean he necessarily comes back to UNC. I mean, sure, he clearly loves UNC, but I'm sure he also wants to spend what would doubtless be his last year enjoying playing on a good team with strong support up front.

Qudus is already gone. Garcia is a pipe dream. Aidoo would be a super addition. He may not be ready to play big minutes at this level, but maybe Aidoo and McCoy together would be enough make Bacot feel comfortable.

We really shouldn't let Aidoo get away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT