ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the outdoorsmen on this board?

I have a buddy who did the whole Appalachian Trail last year. I kept up with his progress through Facebook. Not something I would do but it was cool to see all the pictures.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Quail hunting with my pops and bro in Northern NM and we had really gotten into the quail. Like always we started trash talking a little as we would knock down a bird or if the other guy had missed one. My bro was pissing me off because typically you let the birds get out a little ways before you shoot so not to damage the bird to much but he was pulling up on them quick. I called him an asshole and told him I was tired of him jumping on the birds. Next quail that came up between us I jumped on and shot as did he. When our springer retrieved it all that was left was the head, part of a wing and some feet. My dad was rolling as he said one of us hit it first and then the other hit it...we blew the poor bird apart. Left it for the coyotes and my dad moved into the center position. He always hated to waste a bird!!!

By the way when fried with bacon and some green chile, best wild game out there in my opinion!!!

Reactions: UNC71-00
Went pheasant hunting with my father and brother in laws in Nebraska. My bro in law took his lab, which he had never done before. We got out the first morning and while the lab was a little wild he did fine until we got the first birds up and stared shooting. At the sound of the first shot that dog took off...we didn't see him the rest of the morning and figured that he was gone. Lots of land out there to run thru. We headed back to my bro in laws new black tahoe and when it came into view found his dog. Standing on top of the roof of the tahoe looking at us. That dog had been on and off that tahoe a number of times judging by the scratches on the hood and the roof!! Thought we were going to lose a yellow lab that day...instead he simply stayed in his cage anytime we went out. Ended up being a great dog just not a hunter!

We would go dove hunting every Sept down along the Rio Grande river just west of Albuquerque. Our neighbor had been saying for years that he wanted to go with us. Said he had hunted as a kid but had not been in a while. Finally he bought a license and asked my dad if he could go with us. We headed out one evening and set up. Tony was on one side of my dad and I was on the other. Usually we got some good shooting in but this evening my dad and I did not see hardly anything. Tony on the other hand was firing like crazy. It got dark and we met back at the truck to clean what birds we had shot. MY dad has a couple and I had 1. Tony came walking up and said he had limited out. We were both amazed but were cool with it....until he pulled 14 sparrows and 1 dove out of his bag. hahaha Tony never went hunting with us again!!!

I grew up on a farm in SoGa with the Altamaha River literally in my back yard. The Altamaha is the largest river east of the Mississippi, btw. Farming, hunting and fishing were all my brothers and I knew. I don't hunt nearly as much as I once did because I just don't depend on it as much as we used to but I still love the outdoors. We still camp and fish quite a bit. I can skin a buck, and run a trot-line. A country boy can survive.

I play golf outside.
kanyeblink.gif

I love camping/hiking. Especially when it's at a music festival.

Ugh. There are few things as unappealing to me these days as music festivals. Don't get me wrong, I love music and even used to like music festivals when I was younger (although they weren't as trendy when I was in my teens and 20s as they are now). But now, at 42 years old, I have zero desire to go camping in a mudhole with a bunch of people that are not showering and eating molly. If I want to not shower and do drugs, I'll do that at my own house. Plus, I don't own any flannel shirts and zany sunglasses so I'd feel out of place.

If I go camping, part of the appeal is to get away from people - not get in the middle of a couple thousand of them.

Ugh. There are few things as unappealing to me these days as music festivals. Don't get me wrong, I love music and even used to like music festivals when I was younger (although they weren't as trendy when I was in my teens and 20s as they are now). But now, at 42 years old, I have zero desire to go camping in a mudhole with a bunch of people that are not showering and eating molly. If I want to not shower and do drugs, I'll do that at my own house. Plus, I don't own any flannel shirts and zany sunglasses so I'd feel out of place.

If I go camping, part of the appeal is to get away from people - not get in the middle of a couple thousand of them.
I feel exactly the same. My high school-aged nephew invited me to go to Bonaroo with him and some friends a couple years ago. I was flattered and a little excited until I started thinking about what that would mean exactly. The more I thought about it, the worse an idea it seemed. Needless to say I took a pass.

Music festivals suck.

I'd 1000000000 times rather watch Glastonbury on TV than actually be there.

I feel exactly the same. My high school-aged nephew invited me to go to Bonaroo with him and some friends a couple years ago. I was flattered and a little excited until I started thinking about what that would mean exactly. The more I thought about it, the worse an idea it seemed. Needless to say I took a pass.
Ditto with Bonaroo. Plus, you can never see all the acts you wanna see.

The only "festival" I go to is Warped Tour and that doesn't really count because it's one day, so there's no camping.

You guys are probably thinking about the bullshit mainstream festivals. I hate electronic music so you won't see me around much MDMA.

If you haven't had Derek Trucks or Jimmy Herring melt your face in person then you're missing out...

Oh and Wanee has showers. And bathrooms. And it's a huge park where you can camp wherever you want. The second stage is under spanish moss and is one of the most magical places on Earth. No live stream or youtube video is ever going to do that place justice. I got to see some legendary musicians on that stage.

11194652_10152812760495222_3505157106983827891_o.jpg

319763_404350876266010_415468938_n-650x433.jpg

Last edited:
Music festivals suck.

I'd 1000000000 times rather watch Glastonbury on TV than actually be there.

Ditto with Bonaroo. Plus, you can never see all the acts you wanna see.

The only "festival" I go to is Warped Tour and that doesn't really count because it's one day, so there's no camping.

I used to date a girl from Manchester, which is where Bonaroo is. I know a bunch of people who have been. They all loved it (and said it was pretty nasty) but they were also all a lot younger than me. Hell, I don't even like going to concerts anymore tbh. We watch a lot of the really big festivals online and enjoy that though.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Went pheasant hunting with my father and brother in laws in Nebraska. My bro in law took his lab, which he had never done before. We got out the first morning and while the lab was a little wild he did fine until we got the first birds up and stared shooting. At the sound of the first shot that dog took off...we didn't see him the rest of the morning and figured that he was gone. Lots of land out there to run thru. We headed back to my bro in laws new black tahoe and when it came into view found his dog. Standing on top of the roof of the tahoe looking at us. That dog had been on and off that tahoe a number of times judging by the scratches on the hood and the roof!! Thought we were going to lose a yellow lab that day...instead he simply stayed in his cage anytime we went out. Ended up being a great dog just not a hunter!
What part of Nebraska?

You guys are probably thinking about the bullshit mainstream festivals. I hate electronic music so you won't see me around much MDMA.

If you haven't had Derek Trucks or Jimmy Herring melt your face in person then you're missing out...

Oh and Wanee has showers. And bathrooms. And it's a huge park where you can camp wherever you want. The second stage is under spanish moss and is one of the most magical places on Earth. No live stream or youtube video is ever going to do that place justice. I got to see some legendary musicians on that stage.

11194652_10152812760495222_3505157106983827891_o.jpg

319763_404350876266010_415468938_n-650x433.jpg

How many people usually attend (per day)?

How many people usually attend (per day)?

It's on the small end. Usually around 10k. And the park is huuuuuuge and diverse. You can be camped in a field surrounded by fellow campers (like a typical festival) or you can go off of one of the trails and be in total solitude in the woods. There's virtually nowhere in the park that you're not allowed to camp. And you can show up as early as you like.

It's easily the most laid back jam band festival out there. You can build fires, and pretty much bring ANYTHING you want into camp. They literally don't check vehicles at all. So any beer you want is a go, since ya don't have to worry about bringing glass. Shit, you could bring a keg and be the most popular guy in the park. Not once did I see cops patrolling the campgrounds, just some park security guys cruising around on golf carts. Wanee is freedom.

It's on the small end. Usually around 10k. And the park is huuuuuuge and diverse. You can be camped in a field surrounded by fellow campers (like a typical festival) or you can go off of one of the trails and be in total solitude in the woods. There's virtually nowhere in the park that you're not allowed to camp. And you can show up as early as you like.

It's easily the most laid back jam band festival out there. You can build fires, and pretty much bring ANYTHING you want into camp. They literally don't check vehicles at all. So any beer you want is a go, since ya don't have to worry about bringing glass. Shit, you could bring a keg and be the most popular guy in the park. Not once did I see cops patrolling the campgrounds, just some park security guys cruising around on golf carts. Wanee is freedom.

Is it a state park with bathhouses scattered about? Tell me more about the showers.

And are RVs allowed?

Last edited:
Is it a state park with bathhouses scattered about? Tell me more about the showers.

And are RVs allowed?

It's privately owned. 800+ acres but yeah the same style of bathhouses you'd see in a state park campground. Personally, I skipped the showers, I think showering just makes it worse unless you plan to take them twice a day. Getting clean just makes you realize how dirty you're about to be. But they've got showers in the bathhouses, and if you're an early riser you can even get in on some hot water. If you're feeling lazy or just wanna check out some of the honeys you can always just take a dip in the Suwannee river.

You can get a reserved RV spot with hookups. Some of them are literally right outside of the venue area, we walked through that part of camp on our way to and from the venue area, and it was sweeeeet. People had RV's parked like 100 feet from one of the gates. I'm sure those are the folks who show up like a week early though.

What is a "mainstream" music festival? I'm talking about Lockn, Floyd Fest, Merlefest, etc. Are those "mainstream"?

What is a "mainstream" music festival? I'm talking about Lockn, Floyd Fest, Merlefest, etc. Are those "mainstream"?

Yeah those are all fairly mainstream. Lockn has become a giant money grab. Not surprising considering Pete Shapiro is running it.

Grew up barefoot and running the woods.
These days spend most of my outdoor time on my boat.

We do take the boys in my church camping a couple of times a year. Fun listening to them complain about no phone service, or figuring g out how to charge their phones.

We had one cubby kid who stood next to a pine tree, turn away from us and pissed 20 feet up the side of the tree.

To me, it's a good thing to take the kids out and let them experience nature. I have many find memories as a child sleeping in the woods in an old pup tent.
Last time I went camping , I could hardly walk for a week with back pain

What is a non-mainstream music festival?

Since festivals have become such a trendy thing, quite a lot of festivals have recently become mainstream that didn't used to be. Lockn would be an example of that. Festivals like Wanee, Hulaween, Peach Fest, and Mountain Jam aren't really mainstream IMO. But you could definitely argue that Peach and Mountain Jam are close.

Grew up barefoot and running the woods.
These days spend most of my outdoor time on my boat.

We do take the boys in my church camping a couple of times a year. Fun listening to them complain about no phone service, or figuring g out how to charge their phones.

We had one cubby kid who stood next to a pine tree, turn away from us and pissed 20 feet up the side of the tree.

To me, it's a good thing to take the kids out and let them experience nature. I have many find memories as a child sleeping in the woods in an old pup tent.
Last time I went camping , I could hardly walk for a week with back pain
I gave you a like for this poast, minus the last sentence.

Reactions: nctransplant
My story involves the wife and I and some other couples filling our boats up with camping gear, food, and everything else we needed and riding around in the boats until we found a good camp site. I grilled a turkey one night and we drank and picked at the bird until it was gone. We catfished until the early morning and went to our tents around 3am. I fell asleep and was dreaming that while fishing my friend was casting his rod and reel and hooked me in the ear! The pain of it woke me up and I naturally reach for my ear and something big had attached onto it. I woke up my wife who turned the flashlight on as said, "Oh my God"! It turned out that one of those 4" long beetles with pinchers in the front had latched onto my ear in my sleep making me dream about getting hooked by my friend. All this happened in a matter of seconds and I yelled at my wife, "get it off me get it off me". She said, "how am I supposed to do that"? I reached up and yanked the beetle off myself and threw it out of the tent. A side story of the same trip one of the couples wife when going to bed saw a frog outside of their tent and insisted he take her home immediately. He took her home ( in the dark) and came back by himself and stayed the weekend.

On another trip I woke up one morning and my boat was out in the middle of the lake several hundred yards from the shore. I didn't pull it up on the bank enough or tie it off and a large boat came by that night and threw up a wake that jostled my boat loose and it winded up in the middle of the lake. I absolutely love to go camping!

The one in my back yard. Just me and some friends playing bad cover songs, but admission is only $2 and you can do all the drugs you want.

You joke... but I know people who put on their own local "festivals" and that would be a perfect description of them.

We took the church kids camping one weekend. Temps were in the low 50s at night. We set up a latrine about 75yards away from the camp. That same kid with the dynamic pissing ability went to my buddy's tent in the middle of the night. He needed to take a deuce. She my buddy extricated himself out of his sleeping bag, fumbles around in the dark to find his 4 cell mag flashlight, unzips the tent, and gives it to him. 20 minutes later, the kid comes back, and he repeats the process. So this time, he sets the light next to his cot. He gets settled back in. He then smells crap in his tent. He cuts the light on to see what is going on. He discovers that kid had smeared crap on his flashlight. Just what you want to find at 3 am in the morning. Let's just say, he went home minus one 4cell mag light.
Had another kid who was a troubled kid. Would never go pot except at night. We had a plywood framed box with a toilet seat attached. Dig a hole and set the box over it. Well, being a troubled kid, he would want an adult to take him in the woods to do his business. Imagine how uncomfortable it is to have a 13 year old kid sitting in this contraption, insisting you hold the flashilgt on him. Kinda hard to do with your head turned. The next camping trip, I made him go alone. So the kid that went after him, came back and said they were out of toilet paper. I questioned the trouble kid. Found out, he drives and didn't wipe. I often felt like leaving those kids in the woods

On a side note, if any of you guys like to RV, camp, or sleep in cabins. I would like to recommend yogi bear camp ground in Tabor city NC. Very nice place if you are in to that kind of thing. It's a great place especially if you have kids. It's in a rural area, but has alk modern features. It's about 30 minutes outside of Myrtle Beach. There's enough stuff there to keep kids occupied for a long weekend and never leave the park.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT