ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the best shooter you ever watch play for UNC

We can't have a thread about shooters and not mention Dante Calabria.
I’m sure he’s way up on people’s lists but not number 1. Certainly so if you asked me to name a top 5.

His 50% on 4 attempts and 40% on 6 attempts per game from 3 are stats that were just so far ahead of their time.

One of my personal favorite players when I was a kid. He’s probably my 3rd best shooter behind Wayne and Shammond.

I’m sure he’s way up on people’s lists but not number 1. Certainly so if you asked me to name a top 5.

His 50% on 4 attempts and 40% on 6 attempts per game from 3 are stats that were just so far ahead of their time.

One of my personal favorite players when I was a kid. He’s probably my 3rd best shooter behind Wayne and Shammond.
Most people were mentioning multiple people in their post, so I just wanted to make sure he wasn't left out. Seemed like he could make it from anywhere. He was at basketball camp when I went one year and he was making some crazy shots. He was awesome to watch.

Donald Williams on our march thru that NCAAT and then winning it all, during that stretch, Donald Williams had the the best looking shooting stroke I have seen from a UNC player. Al Wood and Sweet Pea were really strong as well and eclipse Donald if we are talking for their whole UNC careers. Many would add Charlie Scott, he was just a touch before I locked in to UNC basketball.

Al Wood comes to mind but hard to really say.
Phil Ford
Marcus Paige too

But depends on what you think of as a shooter. If we're counting closer to the basket "shots" but not dunks, gotta be Hansbrough. He had an uncanny way of making the ball go in, but I don't think of him as a shooter.

It’s funny you mention both Dante and Shammond. Because those two guys are largely responsible for 3 less national titles. Dante is the reason we lost to Arkansas in the 95 FF. He was atrocious going 1/10 (0/7 from three). And in back to back FF games in 97 and 98, Shammond was a combined 3/25. They were both great shooters but just awful on the biggest stage. That’s a shame.

Cam
Manek
Lebo
Hubert
Weezy
Wood
and yes, McCants

around the basket, you can't ignore McCants, and Jamison was also ridiculous. His first season, J.R. Reid owned that area. I would see McCants find the hoop with arms extended all around him and wonder how he got the ball past them, time after time.

I agree with the other poster that Hansbrough could find the hole, but I wouldn't call him a shooter.

Three-range is too streaky for me to judge a shooter by. But all around midrange, I might have to give it to Forte. Sweetest mid-range jumper ever, with the probable exception of my man Phil Ford, and to me that's actually a harder shot than a three.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Joseph Forte was an assassins', just ask Duke. Remember him, and the game where he destroyed them, and quite a few other teams. Believe he was around 6'4" guard. Unfortunately, he never made an impact in the league, not exactly sure what happen to him?

Joseph Forte was an assassins', just ask Duke. Remember him, and the game where he destroyed them, and quite a few other teams. Believe he was around 6'4" guard. Unfortunately, he never made an impact in the league, not exactly sure what happen to him?

He was a “me” guy, those guys usually never last in the league.

It’s funny you mention both Dante and Shammond. Because those two guys are largely responsible for 3 less national titles. Dante is the reason we lost to Arkansas in the 95 FF. He was atrocious going 1/10 (0/7 from three). And in back to back FF games in 97 and 98, Shammond was a combined 3/25. They were both great shooters but just awful on the biggest stage. That’s a shame.
Shammond deserves most of the blame for our losses in ‘97 and ‘98. He choked big time and wouldn’t stop shooting. Those were my favorite UNC teams to watch so Shammond is sorta on my shit list.
I believe he showed up at his first practice in Boston wearing a Lakers jersey. It went downhill from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT