ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be our next commit?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
venture a guess and pick who you think Roy will get a verbal from in the coming weeks/months

I am gonna say Witherspoon ...for no specific reason

Please respond/comment

Keyser, you may be on to something there with Nick, kid offer and sets visit within two weeks, summer games, he could work pick up with the guys....work it Roy!
I'd like to get a PF/wing or another big this year, we'll see.

Weatherspoon has said he wants to pick a school by summers end. Im gonna go with him.

Def. Weatherspoon IMO. He's set his timetable. Not entirely sure about Platek, honestly.

I also think our first big time recruit will be Tilmon.

Would Roy take both Witherspoon and Platek? I know Witherspoon is more of a combo and Platek is a 2, but they would definitely compete for minutes. With neither being an elite recruit, is there room for both?

Reactions: EazyEd5
Would Roy take both Witherspoon and Platek? I know Witherspoon is more of a combo and Platek is a 2, but they would definitely compete for minutes. With neither being an elite recruit, is there room for both?
Definitely!!..weatherspoon being recruited strictly as a point!!

Weatherspoon. The kid sounds like he's interested and eager to make a decision by summer time. If we land him that's a good sign. His stock is rising and it could encourage our other targets like Tilmon, Washington, Bamba, Knox, Robinson, and even Carter to consider us more.

Reactions: Archer2
Definitely!!..weatherspoon being recruited strictly as a point!!

I would be shocked and disappointed if Roy took both! As for Weatherspoon as a pg, well put it this way, Dexter was to and I don't see near Dexter athletism here. Now all I have seen of this kid is a single clip from a couple games so maybe there is more than what I saw but from that clip I am not sure I understand the offer. I say that cause I saw a combo slasher type with a high dribble that looks more like a 2 and have ya counted how many 2 guards we have, include jalek? Yet no offer to Matt Coleman or Duval?

IDK about Coleman and Duval..but Roy and his staff must know something about them that we don't to not offer!!..I just think that jalek and weatherspoon are being recruited as strictly PG's..this class is very thin talent wise at that position..similar to the year when Paige came out of hs..Felton ain't wavering on his pledge again is he?

Nick will be a better college player than Dexter, not quite as athletic but a better handle and a better jumper. Personally, I was disappointed in Dex. He didn't possess the handle or passing ability to play point, nor the outside shot to play SG. Like Curtis Hunter, an extremely athletic 6-3 to 6-4 kid without a true position due to limited skills.

I think Nick will rise in the latest rankings. Time will tell if 7th can play PG but we can't afford to be caught short at the most critical position if Joel decides to leave after this year. I hope we sign Nick and Platek both. That way we'd be set at the wing positions and we could concentrate on bringing in at least 2 bigs.

IDK about Coleman and Duval..but Roy and his staff must know something about them that we don't to not offer!!..I just think that jalek and weatherspoon are being recruited as strictly PG's..this class is very thin talent wise at that position..similar to the year when Paige came out of hs..Felton ain't wavering on his pledge again is he?
Felton isn't going anywhere. Sheesh.

Anyway, I'll just put this out there. After seeing Platek in person I hope he commits ASAP. And I can also see how Roy might conceivably be ok with Jalek being our next PG, especially with a true Combo like Platek on board who again, is like a healthy Bobby Frasor (with a better stroke) and can slide over very well if needed.

I gotta tell ya, I've always liked Coleman's potential (although I'm seeing signals there might be issues there), but I'm not necessarily seeing the next in the line of great Carolina PGs in that class. When Butter committed I knew we had one. When JB committed I knew we had one.

That being said, although I like Jalek off the ball, he has the chops (and certainly the pedigree) to be a great Lead PG and maybe, just maybe, Roy is thinking that way as well. It will be interesting to see....

Anyway, I'll just put this out there. After seeing Platek in person I hope he commits ASAP. And I can also see how Roy might conceivably be ok with Jalek being our next PG, especially with a true Combo like Platek on board who again, is like a healthy Bobby Frasor (with a better stroke) and can slide over very well if needed.

I gotta tell ya, I've always liked Coleman's potential (although I'm seeing signals there might be issues there), but I'm not necessarily seeing the next in the line of great Carolina PGs in that class. When Butter committed I knew we had one. When JB committed I knew we had one.

That being said, although I like Jalek off the ball, he has the chops (and certainly the pedigree) to be a great Lead PG and maybe, just maybe, Roy is thinking that way as well. It will be interesting to see....

With Joel having already shown he is a heck of a PG and so far it is hard to say if next season will be Joel's last plus already having 7th in the fold and Jalek on the way, IMO it is gonna be really hard for us to get another top shelf PG in this 2017 class. I like the Platek kid for his shooting, he would be a solid get but if up to me I save the PG offers for PGs of high quality more so than mid level type of guys, Dexter level pgs as example, I want a Ty level PG. Quick on quick ball handlers with big time speed with the dribble, we win with those fellas.

If Joel were to leave after this season I would be just fine with jalek and 7th covering us at the point, especially if we can bring in really good trio of big men from this 2017 class.

With Joel having already shown he is a heck of a PG and so far it is hard to say if next season will be Joel's last plus already having 7th in the fold and Jalek on the way, IMO it is gonna be really hard for us to get another top shelf PG in this 2017 class. I like the Platek kid for his shooting, he would be a solid get but if up to me I save the PG offers for PGs of high quality more so than mid level type of guys, Dexter level pgs as example, I want a Ty level PG. Quick on quick ball handlers with big time speed with the dribble, we win with those fellas.

If Joel were to leave after this season I would be just fine with jalek and 7th covering us at the point, especially if we can bring in really good trio of big men from this 2017 class.
That's my point, Dave (no pun intended)... Roy offering Platek to me is a good indicator that Jalek could be JB's successor. You are correct that, while not a foregone conclusion, we certainly cannot count on having Joel around for his Sr season. He has assumed his rightful role as the current elite UNC PG, and like you, I want another one next in line.

I am confident that is not 7th --- he is a Combo (Dexter Strickland with better scoring chops), as is Platek (Bobby Frasor with better scoring chops). If Platek comes aboard that loads us up in that role, and while Jalek could also be called a Combo, he could be the primary PG much more naturally than 7th, and likely excel there as a Kenny Smith-type Lead Guard.

Now, please don't take this as anything negative on Woods --- I'm excited about his potential --- but PG does not come naturally to him. In fact, now that I've seen him and Platek at the same stage of development, I can tell you without hesitation that Andrew was way smoother when he played Point than 7th. That's not to say 7th can't develop there, but right now he has a ways to go to be a 30 mpg UNC PG.

That's my point, Dave (no pun intended)... Roy offering Platek to me is a good indicator that Jalek could be JB's successor. You are correct that, while not a foregone conclusion, we certainly cannot count on having Joel around for his Sr season. He has assumed his rightful role as the current elite UNC PG, and like you, I want another one next in line.

I am confident that is not 7th --- he is a Combo (Dexter Strickland with better scoring chops), as is Platek (Bobby Frasor with better scoring chops). If Platek comes aboard that loads us up in that role, and while Jalek could also be called a Combo, he could be the primary PG much more naturally than 7th, and likely excel there as a Kenny Smith-type Lead Guard.

Now, please don't take this as anything negative on Woods --- I'm excited about his potential --- but PG does not come naturally to him. In fact, now that I've seen him and Platek at the same stage of development, I can tell you without hesitation that Andrew was way smoother when he played Point than 7th. That's not to say 7th can't develop there, but right now he has a ways to go to be a 30 mpg UNC PG.

gary, I understand what you are saying about 7th and why but as you heard, 7th is developing, how far that can go IDK and I don't know if he can develop that natural feel of a PG. And I am not even suggesting that I would see him as starting PG if Joel leaves after next season because IMO that job would be Jaleks unless we add someone that I am not expecting.

But, what I am saying is that this next season our back up PG looks like will be Nate, I have even seen some suggest that in Nate we may have the best back up PG in the college game? OK, so stop laughing, I have seen some UNC fans saying just that, and yeah, you know how I saw that. But let me ask you, who do you think has the greater PG upside, 7th or Nate? I personally think it is 7th because I know how hard that kid works on any part of his game that is considered to be a weakness and you have heard of that very thing already in play in summer league games. It ain't where he is now nor where he has been, it is where his game gets to when the real games get here. We will have to see how that develops, I personally think he is more able to make that turn than Dexter was and frankly, who knows how well Dexter could have made that turn had it not been for that knee injury that side lined him.

And my point in saying this is IMO we do not have to settle for a decent PG, I believe we have enough already in hand to be able to take our time and get a top shelf PG that is a real difference maker.

Reactions: gary-7

I like the Platek kid as one of those 2 guard coaches son types that are just heady with their play and this kid comes loaded for bear as a shooter. I will always take a Bobby with more jump shooting ability so that is a easy call for me. I like Coleman a lot talent wise, Duval kind of put him in the back seat and told him you behind me champ. So the pop kinda drained off the kid but I am not saying he is the next guy for us at the point, just find it interesting that there have been offers out to a couple kids that would seem to be lesser expected. So I agree, must be something else in the mix that cools Roy on Coleman that I don't know about.

Got to tell ya, I am kinda interested to see if Jalek can handle the point at this level. If he can we would have another great one but the question remains is he more Marcus like or Kenny the jet like? Either answer ain't bad and some where in between if ANYTHING could be even better. The ONLY thing so far I see with Jalek that Roy is going to have to work with him on is the kid IMO needs to take a lil bit of the mustard off the hot dawg. His uncle Ray had to do the same thing and that turned out well.

Most interesting quote i took from that article is Cartet saying Kentucky is higher on his list thank Duke.

I guess you never know, but I am pretty sure that was just an inartful quote / inartfully presented quote by the writer. I don't think Carter was announcing a leader with that statement. I think he was just saying that he viewed Kentucky as "higher" on his list in terms of getting players to the NBA -- not that he's naming UK as being in the lead to get a commitment. And, if you read the article, that was a somewhat buried quote in the middle after a discussion about how Duke was the perceived favorite -- rather than the lead of the story. If Carter was really announcing a favorite, I think that would be the headline.

Reactions: gary-7
I like the Platek kid as one of those 2 guard coaches son types that are just heady with their play and this kid comes loaded for bear as a shooter. I will always take a Bobby with more jump shooting ability so that is a easy call for me. I like Coleman a lot talent wise, Duval kind of put him in the back seat and told him you behind me champ. So the pop kinda drained off the kid but I am not saying he is the next guy for us at the point, just find it interesting that there have been offers out to a couple kids that would seem to be lesser expected. So I agree, must be something else in the mix that cools Roy on Coleman that I don't know about.

Got to tell ya, I am kinda interested to see if Jalek can handle the point at this level. If he can we would have another great one but the question remains is he more Marcus like or Kenny the jet like? Either answer ain't bad and some where in between if ANYTHING could be even better. The ONLY thing so far I see with Jalek that Roy is going to have to work with him on is the kid IMO needs to take a lil bit of the mustard off the hot dawg. His uncle Ray had to do the same thing and that turned out well.
Yeah, Ray had a sick street game, but he harnassed it. I'm sure Jalek will as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Where have I heard those done deal to Dook quotes before? :rolleyes:

In recruiting there are really no "done deals" until said player signs a LOI. However, I would be willing to wager a bet that Carter goes to Duke and I'm not a betting man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT