ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the Carolina QB1 next year?

uncboy10

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 14, 2008
Let's talk football. Who do you guys expect to see starting next year at QB?

Personally I'm hoping that Surratt lives up to the hype and takes the job

Let's talk football. Who do you guys expect to see starting next year at QB?

Personally I'm hoping that Surratt lives up to the hype and takes the job
It would be best for the program if Surratt lives up to the hype.....because the hype is so extreme.

I truly think that going into Spring and Fall camp, Nathan Elliott is the leader in the clubhouse for QB1. He has the most experience in the program and in this offense. He also ended the season as QB2.

I'd like to see Elliott win the job because I like to see hard work, loyalty, and perseverance rewarded. But if Surratt (or Byrd) is good enough to win the job, then I'm cool with that. I truly think Byrd could be utilized consistently as a change-of-pace Tebow QB. Watch his high school film if you haven't watched it when I linked it here a few times. The dude is a power runner just like Marquise. Their running styles look very, very similar.

Byrd doesn't look as quick as MW, but looks like he could drag some people. I don't know how tough he is, but he looks like he could be a decent fullback and what's better than an RPO wildcat with Madison Hedgecock?

The coaches are pretty serious with the LSU and Notre grad transfers, the former was only so-so, but i have a feeling the guys on the roster aren't ready for primetime as of early Sept.

Byrd doesn't look as quick as MW, but looks like he could drag some people. I don't know how tough he is, but he looks like he could be a decent fullback and what's better than an RPO wildcat with Madison Hedgecock?

The coaches are pretty serious with the LSU and Notre grad transfers, the former was only so-so, but i have a feeling the guys on the roster aren't ready for primetime as of early Sept.
Fedora's offense doesn't use a fullback.

I do not want someone from the outside to come in and start for only one year. I hope one of the 3 on the roster step up and do a great job. They were brought in to run this system, let's see what they can do.

Reactions: Heels Noir
TarHeelNation11 doesn't use a sense of humor ;)

And not to nit-pick but several plays last yr involved Dan Mastro in a fullback role. For the humor-challenged, I don't see Byrd being Dan Mastro.... ;)
I believe he lined up as fullback on less than 10 plays all season.

It would be best for the program if Surratt lives up to the hype.....because the hype is so extreme.

I truly think that going into Spring and Fall camp, Nathan Elliott is the leader in the clubhouse for QB1. He has the most experience in the program and in this offense. He also ended the season as QB2.

I'd like to see Elliott win the job because I like to see hard work, loyalty, and perseverance rewarded. But if Surratt (or Byrd) is good enough to win the job, then I'm cool with that. I truly think Byrd could be utilized consistently as a change-of-pace Tebow QB. Watch his high school film if you haven't watched it when I linked it here a few times. The dude is a power runner just like Marquise. Their running styles look very, very similar.

I'll have to go watch that tape. MW did wonders for our red zone efficiency, having a guy like that even just for a change of pace package in the red zone could be the difference between winning and losing games.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of these guys get the job, they all seem likable enough to me. I'd really like to see a four year starter at QB though. Imagine how good Mitch or Quise would have been in their fourth years of starting, and with a redshirt year under their belt...

I'll have to go watch that tape. MW did wonders for our red zone efficiency, having a guy like that even just for a change of pace package in the red zone could be the difference between winning and losing games.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of these guys get the job, they all seem likable enough to me. I'd really like to see a four year starter at QB though. Imagine how good Mitch or Quise would have been in their fourth years of starting, and with a redshirt year under their belt...
Here ya go. He splits up his tape by category -- passing, running, etc. Keep watching towards the end and he shows off his power, whereas the first few runs he shows are him just blowing by folks.

Reactions: uncboy10

Byrd is a powerful runner. At least one person here went nuts I said that Tebow was an FB playing QB, but that is exactly what Tebow was as a freshman. He came in and often served as the Gators runner runner up the gut. Everything in his QB play came from the fact that he was a bull inside runner.

Byrd can be the same type power runner. And that is the reason that if we still had the overflow of QBs, I would be thrilled to see Byrd given a long look at RB.

Reactions: randman1
I do not want someone from the outside to come in and start for only one year. I hope one of the 3 on the roster step up and do a great job. They were brought in to run this system, let's see what they can do.
Zaire had enough issues with timing as ND QB being there for years. How could he never have any Spring with our team and have timing down with the players?

If the grad transfer QB can't get there for Spring, don't bother with him.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Without seeing him play a down, I'll go out on a limb and say that Chazz Surratt is going to be a star in our offense.

Byrd is a powerful runner. At least one person here went nuts I said that Tebow was an FB playing QB, but that is exactly what Tebow was as a freshman. He came in and often served as the Gators runner runner up the gut. Everything in his QB play came from the fact that he was a bull inside runner.

Byrd can be the same type power runner. And that is the reason that if we still had the overflow of QBs, I would be thrilled to see Byrd given a long look at RB.

And Fed was heavily recruiting Tebow to Florida before Zook was relieved.

Asinine poast, but alright. I'm the negative one, right?
At least you understand that you are. You're learning.

And yes, I think we'll be within one game of a .500 team next year. I don't think that's being negative, just realistic. And I don't think it makes a lot of difference who we start at QB. If I'm so far off base, give me your exalted opinion of what our record will be.

Cal...loss
Louisville...loss
at ODU...win
dook...win
at GT...loss
ND...loss
UVA...win
at VT...loss
Mia...loss
at Pitt...loss
WCU...win
at State...win

I don't see more than 6 wins at best. Now let's see your predictions.

At least you understand that you are. You're learning.

And yes, I think we'll be within one game of a .500 team next year. I don't think that's being negative, just realistic. And I don't think it makes a lot of difference who we start at QB. If I'm so far off base, give me your exalted opinion of what our record will be.
Nah, I'm good. You aren't worth my time. You did already hedge your bet from the first poast ("we're a .500 team") to the second ("we're within a game of .500"). 7-5 versus 6-6, with this schedule and this rebuilding year, is quite different.

Reactions: clyde cobb
Nah, I'm good. You aren't worth my time. You did already hedge your bet from the first poast ("we're a .500 team") to the second ("we're within a game of .500"). 7-5 versus 6-6, with this schedule and this rebuilding year, is quite different.
I was confident enough to post my predictions. How convenient that you overlook my followup post where I stated "I don't see more than 6 wins at best." You imply that I'm being negative for forecasting a .500 season and then won't even make an attempt to refute what I say?

Cal...loss
Louisville...loss
at ODU...win
dook...win
at GT...loss
ND...loss
UVA...win
at VT...loss
Mia...loss
at Pitt...loss
WCU...win
at State...win

I'd say we'll most likely beat Cal (although given our recent record in openers, who knows) but it's at home. Think we also win one of the ND an MIA games at home but drop the other. I'd also flip the @NCSU game to a loss. We can't beat them in Kenan, I'm not sure why we should expect to beat them in CF. It's sort of like the Duke problem in basketball, the other team just cares way too much more about it.

So what's that put me at, 6-6? Maybe 7-5 if we win both those ND and MIA games. That'll earn us the coveted invite to the Aunt Mabel's Porridge Bowl.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I'd say we'll most likely beat Cal (although given our recent record in openers, who knows) but it's at home. Think we also win one of the ND an MIA games at home but drop the other. I'd also flip the @NCSU game to a loss. We can't beat them in Kenan, I'm not sure why we should expect to beat them in CF. It's sort of like the Duke problem in basketball, the other team just cares way too much more about it.

So what's that put me at, 6-6? Maybe 7-5 if we win both those ND and MIA games. That'll earn us the coveted invite to the Aunt Mabel's Porridge Bowl.
Yeah, I originally counted our wins and came to the conclusion that we could possibly only win 4 games if we lose to our instate rivals. But I gave us the benefit of the doubt and put the State and dook games down as wins. I think 6-6 is being pretty optimistic actually.

We've just lost so much on offense. We have no proven QB, no proven RB, and only one proven WR. We lost a couple of good players on our DL and in our secondary. We also have big turnover on our defensive staff. Not a recipe for success against a tough schedule.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Cal...loss
Louisville...loss
at ODU...win
dook...win
at GT...loss
ND...loss
UVA...win
at VT...loss
Mia...loss
at Pitt...loss
WCU...win
at State...win

If we lose to Cal it's gonna be a long , long year because they absolutely SUCK.

If we lose to Cal it's gonna be a long , long year because they absolutely SUCK.
I don't know if I'd say they suck but they're certainly not very good. I'd say they are pretty mediocre, much like UNC is most years. I'm afraid next year is a return to mediocrity. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't know if I'd say they suck but they're certainly not very good. I'd say they are pretty mediocre, much like UNC is most years. I'm afraid next year is a return to mediocrity. Hope I'm wrong.
Are you familiar with the concept of a rebuilding year? Michigan State went 3-9 last year. Does that program suddenly suck?

This is a bridge year. Grooming a lot of young talent. It really opens the door for potential success (ACCCG appearance or more) in 2018 and 2019 if things go our way.

I'm afraid next year is a return to mediocrity. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd say this past year was the return to mediocrity. Anything less than an ACCCG appearance is mediocre (or worse).

Hopefully THN's comment of this being a bridge year comes to fruition, and we make the ACCCG again in 2018 or 2019 which would make us something better than mediocre in those years if we do indeed make it.

Your expectations for UNC football are too high.

I wouldn't say my expectations are too high. I poasted above that I was thinking we'd be 6-6 next year, which I feel is a somewhat conservative expectation.

If you're saying that my definition of mediocre is too high, that's a different matter. UVA was 2-10 this year, if next year they're 7-5, they've probably greatly exceeded expectations, but IMO they'd still be very much mediocre.

At this stage, UNC's goal every year should be to win the Coastal - and in years that doesn't happen (which I would forecast next year to be one of those years) the season is unsuccessful. Feel good "Well, we didn't completely suck after losing a lot of pieces" type seasons just don't move the needle for me.

If you're saying that my definition of mediocre is too high, that's a different matter.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

At this stage, UNC's goal every year should be to win the Coastal - and in years that doesn't happen (which I would forecast next year to be one of those years) the season is unsuccessful.
You can always make that your goal, but as a fan you shouldn't expect that because that would be overachieving given our football history. Mediocre for UNC football is 6-7 wins. 8 or more wins is a good year.

Feel good "Well, we didn't completely suck after losing a lot of pieces" type seasons just don't move the needle for me.
Doesn't move the needle for me either, but that's just the way it is.

You can always make that your goal, but as a fan you shouldn't expect that because that would be overachieving given our football history.

I definitely don't expect anything better than a 6 or 7 win season next year. And if we win an extra game or two it's not going to get me all that geeked up unless it puts us in the ACCCG.

Your expectations for UNC football are too high.
Those standards are unreasonable for all but maybe 7 or 8 programs in the nation.

We underachieved in 2016, due in no small measure to a series of key injuries. And that raises the issue of probable over-achievement in 2015. Quite simply, if in 2015, we had lost Hollins (the one tall WR we have able to make DBs back peddle hard to prevent him from being wide open on the post, which opened up the field for all other receivers) and most of the starting OL and had a healthy Hood maybe 50% of the time, we would not have won 11 games.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. You can always make that your goal, but as a fan you shouldn't expect that because that would be overachieving given our football history.
While I agree that we don't have to reach the ACCCG in order to be considered above mediocre, we should legitimately be in the running for our division championship.

Mediocre for UNC football is 6-7 wins. 8 or more wins is a good year.
Doesn't move the needle for me either, but that's just the way it is.
If that is what we're down to, we are the definition of mediocre. Sheesh!

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
The parity in the Coastal means that we should be able to compete for a division championship every year. The young guys will get a trial by fire the second week of the season, I'm excited to see who the next wave of Tar Heel football stars will be.

The parity in the Coastal means that we should be able to compete for a division championship every year. The young guys will get a trial by fire the second week of the season, I'm excited to see who the next wave of Tar Heel football stars will be.
This. It's exciting because it's a blank slate on offense. QB1, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR3, and possibly more are all up for grabs.

This. It's exciting because it's a blank slate on offense. QB1, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR3, and possibly more are all up for grabs.

And that means that those guys are going to be hungry, and work their tails off between now and week 1 to fight for those spots.

Athletes are coming out of high school more prepared for the college game than they ever have been. Having a young team does not necessarily mean you have a weak team anymore, though experience is still obviously a advantage. If these young guys who step up to lead the program can establish a culture of winning early in their careers, then we could be in for the best three of four years of Carolina football ever as we watch them mature and get even better.

Make no mistake, we need these guys to win games this year. Not next year or the year after that. 6-6 seasons are hard to sell to high level recruits. But 8 or 9 wins with a young team is a pretty easy sell. And we need to recruit at a high level to build towards the kind of program we all want to see in Chapel Hill. IMO Fedora needs to take over the offensive play calling or do whatever he needs to do to make sure the offense puts up points even with young guys at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT