ADVERTISEMENT

Why Thigpen should return to Chapel Hill

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
My UT Vol brother-in-law wanted to know why I think Thigpen should rejoin the UNC staff, and I decided to post my response here.

Every coach aspires to more and wants to move up, both in terms of reaching the major conferences and going from a position coach to a coorodator and possibly head coach. Thigpen most likely wants to be a DC some day, sooner rather than later, with that leading to a head coach job somewhere. If he rejoins Chizik, he will mark himself as Chizik's #2. After they rebuild our awful D, Chizik will move on a head coach job. At that point, Thigpen will be all but assured of being named DC. Either UNC will want him to replace Chizik and maintain continuity, or Chizik will take him to his next HC job.

You missed the points that matter.

This is HOME for Thig, he played here, he coached here... UNC his where is heart is at.
Thig happens to be friends with Gene Chizik, the two like and respect each other.
Thig wanted to come home for the past two years, we didn't have room for him for various reasons. We will have/make room now, we have a new DC ( with control over who he hires on the D staff ).

This post was edited on 1/1 10:47 PM by UNC_Blue

Blue - Has it been out that Thig wanted to come back to the Hill the past 2 years? Do we honestly have a legitimate chance of him coming " home "? That would be awesome! I just don't see it happening in my opinion. I hope I am wrong.

Come home Thig. We want and need you. Go Heels!!

Originally posted by berry30:
Blue - Has it been out that Thig wanted to come back to the Hill the past 2 years? Do we honestly have a legitimate chance of him coming " home "? That would be awesome! I just don't see it happening in my opinion. I hope I am wrong.

Come home Thig. We want and need you. Go Heels!!
Yes, he has said he would love to come back for the past 2 years. Thig is a Tar Heel through and through, he had issues with Blake taking credit for Thig's work, that is the only reason he left in the first place.

Wow! Never knew that. Thanks for sharing. I hope it comes to fruition. That would be some great momentum. I know he is a true Tar Heel and he is a helluva recruiter and coach. Go get him Chiz!

Thig can flat out recruit...but word is he is happy at UT ...he has a shot in 2 years to have UT in the top 10 with kids he recruited...why leave that? He will be able to get any job he wants...like it or not UT is back starting next year at 9-3 most likely..then 2016? Wow... and UT will break the bank to keep him/ but who knows..home is where the heart is
This post was edited on 1/2 5:45 PM by 2for3

On point 2for3. UT will be in the mix nationally the next 3 years and beyond if they keep Jones. Also...just for general information...word is A+ recruiter...C- ,as a position coach. I'm not holding my breath

Woad,
You left out the part about Thig being one of the best recruiters around.

Following his Twitter don't hold your breath. They are about to be really good on defense. Stud after stud signed.

What about his wife's facebook? Saw this on the volnation page:

According to Thigpen's wife's Facebook account they visited Auburn two weeks ago. Gene Chizik still lives in Auburn. Done deal

I would be more surprised if he stayed at UT, than if he came home. But my blood runs blue not macaroni yellow.

I just don't see Thig coming back to the Hill. Maybe it is that I just don't want to get my hopes up. Money is not everything, but it does help. Thig coming home, helping improve the football program at his alma mater, reuniting with Chiz who he had a lot of success with in the past and being paid an adequate amount or more ( whatever that is ) might be too much for him to say no. Does anyone know his salary at UT and know what we can offer him?

Come home Thig!! Go Heels!!!

Your school you love & played & coached very well at ...Its time to return to UNC !!
happy0003.r191677.gif

the big question will be whether we will pay enough for Thig to come back to UNC. all this hoopla about coming home is fine and all but he's left once and found a significantly larger pay check elsewhere. we'll have to pony up to lure somebody of his talent back to the Hill to be on staff

Didn't say he left for money but now that he's used to that sec money, we will need to pony up to get him back

Originally posted by GoNtheDistance:
Didn't say he left for money but now that he's used to that sec money, we will need to pony up to get him back
The same Vols on the internet assuming Thig is going back to UNC are talking about reports that UNC has already offered him more than he makes at UT.

Chizik knows what is required, and he would have told Fedora and Bubba that for him to be successful as DC, that he must hire a top DC staff, which will cost money.

I hope that's our philosophy bc for the longest time we've tried to be cheap with hires yet expect world class results

Originally posted by geo1464:
Following his Twitter don't hold your breath. They are about to be really good on defense. Stud after stud signed.
on rivals UT's recruiting class is now ranked 6th which is impressive, with only 2 SEC schools ahead of them. however, UT has 27 recruits, so their recruiting is pretty much over. there are several SEC teams just behind UT which have many slots open while they pursue uncommitted blue chippers. in short, there will be at least 5 great programs standing between UT and an SEC title. similar recruiting by thigpen at carolina could mean a dominant coastal program with only one team standing in the way of a conference title and a possible spot in the playoff. he needs to come home.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

Originally posted by geo1464:
on rivals UT's recruiting class is now ranked 6th which is impressive, with only 2 SEC schools ahead of them. however, UT has 27 recruits, so their recruiting is pretty much over. there are several SEC teams just behind UT which have many slots open while they pursue uncommitted blue chippers. in short, there will be at least 5 great programs standing between UT and an SEC title. similar recruiting by thigpen at carolina could mean a dominant coastal program with only one team standing in the way of a conference title and a possible spot in the playoff. he needs to come home.
This. Currently, the ACC coastal is one of the easiest routes to a playoff berth of any division in college football. I'd love to even be as close as GT came this year. A W against us or dook, puts them playing in the ACCCG for a playoff spot. I don't see why that's not possible for Carolina in the NEAR future.

Would have been nice to get TT..but this is a business decision...many here thought his loyalty would bring him back...UT is more stable and he is recruiting like a mad man at UT(top 25 preseason 2015 and most likely top 12.. 2016 and he is a major reason why with his recruiting)...A coach in most cases will choose a more comfortable situation or a better situation in their opinion and of course money over the school they graduated from...No surprise in my opinion.I am sure TT loves UNC..(but he feels it appears).. he has made a better professional/family choice by staying at UT...Chizik will do fine...he is a huge step in the right direction

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT