ADVERTISEMENT

Will Pitt Bounce Back or

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Will Pitt still be in the doldrums?

I have major doubts that UNC will have used to bye week to make important improvements. That just may not be in Mack's coaching marrow bones. So I think the game may hinge significantly on how Pitt responds to its latest loss. 2 losses to ACC teams that were expected to finish in the bottom 3rd of the league could demoralize the team. Or Narduzzi might be able to use the loss at Louisville to rally the troops - their season can still lead to 10 wins if they can beat UNC in Chapel Hill.

If Pitt were to beat ranked UNC and then beat ranked Syracuse, a 9-3 team would look for a decent bowl, with the chance to finish 10-3.

UNC has more to play for, as the Coastal is now waiting to be taken by a UNC team that should finish the regular season no worse than 10-2, with only 1 ACC loss.

Maybe the Miami OC or the James Madison coach would’ve helped during the BYE, right?
Not the Miami OC - Longo is better. Curt Cignetti's background is on the offensive side, so if he were at UNC, that would be as OC. Which, again, is not a needed change.

Of course, none of that is the point. For you, Mack Brown is apparently not the guy who has won numerous recruiting class wars, out-recruiting Bob Stoops and OU almost every year, but winning only 2 Big 12 championships - Mr. February. For your, Mack Brown has no history of wasting a whole lot talent, but the guy who is always winning.

And that means that you feel compelled always to see Mack as above being questioned. I see Mack as he is now and always has been: charming, excellent recruiter, but always more impressive in those recruiting wars than in earning championships. Mack has no history of out coaching other teams - he wins by out recruiting foes. Mack has no history of learning his teams' weaknesses during a season and correcting the problems that season. Mack eventually recognizes problems and always starts by trying to recruit to solve them.

UNC needs the championships on the field.

Not the Miami OC - Longo is better. Curt Cignetti's background is on the offensive side, so if he were at UNC, that would be as OC. Which, again, is not a needed change.

Of course, none of that is the point. For you, Mack Brown is apparently not the guy who has won numerous recruiting class wars, out-recruiting Bob Stoops and OU almost every year, but winning only 2 Big 12 championships - Mr. February. For your, Mack Brown has no history of wasting a whole lot talent, but the guy who is always winning.

And that means that you feel compelled always to see Mack as above being questioned. I see Mack as he is now and always has been: charming, excellent recruiter, but always more impressive in those recruiting wars than in earning championships. Mack has no history of out coaching other teams - he wins by out recruiting foes. Mack has no history of learning his teams' weaknesses during a season and correcting the problems that season. Mack eventually recognizes problems and always starts by trying to recruit to solve them.

UNC needs the championships on the field.
All I mentioned was your thoughts on stating that the hire would be bad news for the Heels. You mentioned the Hurricanes were building a super coaching staff. 3-4 would suggest otherwise as of right now.

All I mentioned was your thoughts on stating that the hire would be bad news for the Heels. You mentioned the Hurricanes were building a super coaching staff. 3-4 would suggest otherwise as of right now.
Cristobal did a good job building a staff at Miami. Surely you do not think that Gattis, Strongman and Steele were bad hires.

Ah, but Miami lost to Uncle, which makes you crow as if that means something great about Mack. That is a very old problem with hordes of UNC football fans: they are satisfied with mediocre play as long as the team is not winning only 3 or 4 per year.

ACC football needs Miami to be competitive to rev up national TV interest - same is true of Clemson, FSU, and UNC. For that reason I'd like to see Miami rebuild. But I do not think that UNC getting past a weak Miami team means anything positive about the UNC program and its leadership.

Cristobal did a good job building a staff at Miami. Surely you do not think that Gattis, Strongman and Steele were bad hires.

Ah, but Miami lost to Uncle, which makes you crow as if that means something great about Mack. That is a very old problem with hordes of UNC football fans: they are satisfied with mediocre play as long as the team is not winning only 3 or 4 per year.

ACC football needs Miami to be competitive to rev up national TV interest - same is true of Clemson, FSU, and UNC. For that reason I'd like to see Miami rebuild. But I do not think that UNC getting past a weak Miami team means anything positive about the UNC program and its leadership.
I prefer to wait to see how things play out rather than king someone/something before it even starts. Like you did with the James Madison coach among many others. I know you love to make this about UNC. But why don’t you talk about Middle Tenn St out coaching that vaunted Miami staff?

6-1

Crow? Lol. I mentioned their 4 losses, grasshopper, not just the one to UNC. You don’t know much as you think you do

I believe we will get Pitts best shot. Think it will be a close game and hope the good guy's come out on top. Would love to see the D be more consistent in a positive way, after the bye.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I believe we will get Pitts best shot. Think it will be a close game and hope the good guy's come out on top. Would love to see the D be more consistent in a positive way, after the bye.
I absolutely agree that it's definitely going to be a close game, probably decided on the very last play of the game.

Since Pitt joined the ACC, all 8 games against them have been decided by 7 or less. The good thing is we are 3-0 at home against the Panthers in ACC (6-0 at home all-time), so we got that going for us.
Seems like the Pitt game always ends up being a classic for the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT