ADVERTISEMENT

Will the weather make a major difference vs Virginia Tech on Saturday?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Because of the hurricane heavy rains and rough winds that are scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Chapel Hill my hope is it does not resemble the game between these same two teams a couple of years ago under the same conditions…

On paper Carolina looks like the stronger of the two teams but this game is not played on paper but more likely on a sloppy swamp like field.

This Virginia Tech team is pass happy which does not mean good news for the leaky Carolina secondary but it works both ways as their many receivers will also have problems with traction on their patterns.

Also the Carolina running game which was AWOL against Notre Dame will have to deal with a sloppy track.

So to answer my own question after reviewing that old game no question Mother Nature will have a lot to say about who can play in sorry conditions but regardless of what falls out of the heavens this is a MUST GAME if UNC wants to go to a decent bowl game…

Shouldn't matter a whole lot. I mean obviously if it gets really bad it could. But this might be the least talented VT team I've ever seen. Fuente's recruiting has caught up to them. Terrible OL. QB with not a lot of arm talent.. doesn't see the field well. He will take off though. MAYBE one deep threat. Good chance for the defense to find their feet and build some confidence. UVA is not much better, but that's looking ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Shouldn't matter a whole. I mean obviously if it gets really bad it could. But this might be the least talented VT team I've ever seen. Fuente's recruiting has caught up to them. Terrible OL. QB with not a lot of arm talent.. doesn't see the field well. He will take off though. MAYBE one deep threat. Good chance for the defense to find their feet and build some confidence. UVA is not much better, but that's looking ahead.
Indeed, this VT team is not good, and it lacks sporting talent and any depth. But then again, last year's Hokies were not good, and Mack did not take that easy W.

So this game will say at least as much about where the team is as the ND game did.

Indeed, this VT team is not good, and it lacks sporting talent and any depth. But then again, last year's Hokies were not good, and Mack did not take that easy W.

So this game will say at least as much about where the team is as the ND game did.
I would watch who wins on early downs in the run game. I'm betting that's our #1 priority on both sides of the ball. If we win on 1st and 2nd down and get them into obvious passing situations, defense will have a much easier time getting off the field. Defense was alright in this game last year. But the offense came up short. Hoping that changes as well.

I'm more worried about Wake with our secondary. Because Clawson can draw it up and beat you without much of a run game. That's about what he did to Clemson last weekend. Hartman can deal. Wells? Not so much. If we can't roll this bunch, then we are def in trouble.

Nope remembered them all but we haven’t shown any ability to play defense consistently so what makes you think we can stop even the most inept team?
And I'm not sure it's wise to think of Duke as "inept" this year.

Reactions: Archer2
I'll be surprised when UNC wins any game this season. I've seen nothing to make me believe that they will win any game, until the game is over. It doesn't matter how supposedly bad their opponents might be. UNC is not a good team, either.

They've struggled with every opponent this season. They've struggled with most opponents for...ever.

And I'm not sure it's wise to think of Duke as "inept" this year.
UVA's got a new coach, their D is much improved over last yr. Duke's D looks good. So Chiz/Warren have probably been here long enough.

Chizik and Warren aren't idiots, so i'm still blaming estrogen in the old well, country-club work attitude from Mack, something weird with S&C or terrible position coaching from Bly/Cross.

I keep hearing people point out DL poor pad level, weak initial steps, poor hand-placement and that is either poor stuff from Cross or players too busy looking fwd to hanging out on Franklin St, the quad, or the fancy renovated player's lounge.

UVA's got a new coach, their D is much improved over last yr. Duke's D looks good. So Chiz/Warren have probably been here long enough.

Chizik and Warren aren't idiots, so i'm still blaming estrogen in the old well, country-club work attitude from Mack, something weird with S&C or terrible position coaching from Bly/Cross.

I keep hearing people point out DL poor pad level, weak initial steps, poor hand-placement and that is either poor stuff from Cross or players too busy looking fwd to hanging out on Franklin St, the quad, or the fancy renovated player's lounge.
That lounge is sweet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT