ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Johnson is an arrogant prick, and that's about the best thing I can say about him.

I'm cutting out for the Onion Festival this weekend and have no doubt I will spend a goodly portion of my time arguing about the FF, the NCAA and the UGA game. You have no idea just how badly I want UNC to pull this off.

Johnson is an arrogant prick, and that's about the best thing I can say about him.

I'm cutting out for the Onion Festival this weekend and have no doubt I will spend a goodly portion of my time arguing about the FF, the NCAA and the UGA game. You have no idea just how badly I want UNC to pull this off.
Will you be at the game? If so, find me during the tailgate and I'll give you a beer and a shot.

You know guys, last year there were a bunch of naysayers, well shall I say guarded optimism. UGa can not keep up with our O and this year's team will be even more explosive and better than last season. And, the D will be much better than last season. Do any of you believe this staff and the remaining players are not ready to atone for such a brutal ending? It takes one to two stops or TOs on UGa's part and they will be playing from behind. I called it last season and I am calling it today. The Heels will take this game by 2 TDs. And, my hometown is Fitzgerald, Ga, but my alma mater is North Carolina.

You know guys, last year there were a bunch of naysayers, well shall I say guarded optimism. UGa can not keep up with our O and this year's team will be even more explosive and better than last season. And, the D will be much better than last season. Do any of you believe this staff and the remaining players are not ready to atone for such a brutal ending? It takes one to two stops or TOs on UGa's part and they will be playing from behind. I called it last season and I am calling it today. The Heels will take this game by 2 TDs. And, my hometown is Fitzgerald, Ga, but my alma mater is North Carolina.
A South Georgia Tar Heel....I like it! I'm in my best friend's wedding in a couple months; he's marrying a girl in Pelham, Georgia. That's not like TOOOO far from Fitzgerald I guess.

As for the UGA game..........yes, I was wrong about how many wins we'd have last season, but I was right about one thing -- we wouldn't beat SCar. As I said then and I'll say it again now, we just don't beat "brand name" programs. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are at the time of the game, we just seem to have a mental block. As a lifelong Georgian, I want to beat UGA so damn bad, but I don't think we will.

I think we will but you never know. My basis for thinking we'll win is that our offense will be as good as the 2nd half of last season, which means it was unstoppable and one of the very best in the nation. We got creamed by Baylor's running game and still only lost by 11 and had 2 red zone turnovers, albeit one was more of a defensive play by Baylor than a typical mistake/turnover.

On the other side and this is a big question mark, I think our defense will be better due to our D-line being better. Of course, the jury is out on the linebackers. So who knows? But Georgia isn't Clemson. We should be able to handle them if healthy.

My guess is we win by 2-3 touchdowns, in fact.

It's a simple question. Explain your reasoning. We're 138 days away from this game and I can't wait.

Reading through this thread there is a wide range of opinions and predictions. I am not going to make a prediction but of course I hope we win and will have a shot.. Our OC last was the hire that ultimately cost Mark Richt his job, Schottheimer was absolutely awful, I can count on my two hands the throws we made to the TE all season. I hope Lambert isn't the starter but I expect him to be the first game. I could be wrong, but I think we are going to be much more balanced than we have been in 3-4 years, IF Chubb is back to 100% our offense will be pretty tough to stop, in our spring game which was a showcase for QBs, completed 65% of our passes for nearly 600 yards to 4 TE, 7 WR and 2 backs. Chubb didn't play and neither did our returning leading receiver. Defensively we return all DBs who took a snap, but up front no fulltime starters return, but 6 have started several games for various reasons and I think we will be weak against the run, our outside guys are excellent rushers and their strength. So it could be a high scoring game. But UGA fans are more excited about the season than they have been since Hershel was lining up in the I. They will be a bunch of red in the Ga. Dome, not that it means anything. Peace

Like everyone else, I'm really worried about our DL containing their running game. Our lack of depth there could be a major issue this year and will largely determine how much our defense improves.

But I do expect it to improve. Despite losing experience at LB, I think our athleticism and speed to the ball will be better. It better be with the DL issues we have. DB's should be a strength, I'm hoping the LB's will as well.

I think our offense will be very potent.

I think we'll win a close game, say 35-32.

Reactions: tarheel0910
i think uga will try and do what baylor did and that scares me.
first game, a lot of jitters, national exposure, could be very big for our program.
given our track record i don't like the odds, but damn we're overdue.

There were some interesting feelings regarding Chizik after the Baylor game, so this could be an interesting one too.

you know, many people had disappointment or sour feelings regarding Chizik after Baylor. They felt he was either extremely unprepared or prepared but obstinate regarding our ability to stop the run vs Baylor. If UGA calmly marches down the field with a vanilla attack, while we stay in our "base", then folks are going to be peeved again at Chizik.

you know, many people had disappointment or sour feelings regarding Chizik after Baylor. They felt he was either extremely unprepared or prepared but obstinate regarding our ability to stop the run vs Baylor. If UGA calmly marches down the field with a vanilla attack, while we stay in our "base", then folks are going to be peeved again at Chizik.
Chizik is a really good coordinator but you can't out-scheme deficiency in size and talent on the DL. Yes, we were pretty vanilla in our defenses called and I was upset about that because we didn't really try anything different, but we didn't really have many options. They were bigger and stronger than us upfront and we couldn't do anything about that.

Chizik is a really good coordinator but you can't out-scheme deficiency in size and talent on the DL. Yes, we were pretty vanilla in our defenses called and I was upset about that because we didn't really try anything different, but we didn't really have many options. They were bigger and stronger than us upfront and we couldn't do anything about that.
Yep. Anyone angry at Chizik for what happened in the bowl game wasn't paying attention. We had no answer for that anywhere on our roster, regardless of scheme. Havng Naz and others out didn't help, but it wouldn't really have made a difference. They were stronger and every bit as quick.

I think a number of people missed that about Baylor. It may be that in the back of the mind was the thought: they are not UT or OU, so they can't be that big and strong on the OL.

But they were and are. Briles has recruited not merely super speed and quickness, but also size and strength and depth on both lines of scrimmage. If that Bears team had been fully healthy all year, it likely would have been in the playoff.

We need that size and strength and depth on the DL and at LB to counteract the best OLs.

Yeah, we were in trouble from the word "go" in that game. We just didn't have the horses. As much as he battled and gave everything he had, #98 shouldn't have been a DL starter on a team that almost made the playoff. We masked A LOT of defensive deficiencies throughout the season with our high-powered offense and with timely defensive takeaways.

Reactions: Archer2
I'm not going to question Chizik's decisions. He's a great teacher and he's been in so many games, had so much success, and been around so many winning programs that you have to assume he's great at planning, prep, scheming and adjustments.

BUT - we were a tad conservative in the second the half with our approach to defending Baylor. It was clear we were going to lose our base vs their attack 9 out of 10 attempts. So why not try something else on a few downs.

Any attempt to load the box or blitz more would've exposed weaknesses, like more open receivers, but Baylor hadn't yet proven they could throw. Johnny Jefferson threw just three times, connecting on one pass, yet ran 23 times averaging 13 ypc. As a team with were 10/18 passing for 6.8 avg, but rushing 7.7 ypc.

I didn't want to hijack this thread into Baylor V Chizik, so i'll restate my orig point. If UGA lines up in the I formation 90% of the time, and we don't seem to make a counter-adjustment, this will raise more questions or ire, fair or not, regarding Chizik.

I didn't want to hijack this thread into Baylor V Chizik, so i'll restate my orig point. If UGA lines up in the I formation 90% of the time, and we don't seem to make a counter-adjustment, this will raise more questions or ire, fair or not, regarding Chizik.
The only real counter-adjustment to the I-formation is to crowd the box and to be more physical. Being physical goes hand in hand with having elite-level size, which we didn't have last year and still don't have this year, really. That's not Chizik's fault.

For the record though, UGA won't be in the I 90% of the game. They utilize the shotgun occasionally or just go with one back and no lead blocker a lot too.

It's going to take UNC's best game in the Fedora era to get it done, but I think it happens in a close one. Smart's going to have those guys ready to go. It comes down to how he is in his first game as HC, and how his players react after the initial boost. I go UNC by 7 in a tight one.

I can just about guarantee you UGA isn't going to line up in the I 90% of the time. Now if Chubb is back to 100% I do expect everyone we play to get a good dose of him, but Sony Michel isn't a scrub either, Elijah Holyfield was the top back in Georgia last fall which usually means he is at least a pretty good back and will get carries. I look for Chubb to get about 20, Michel 10-12 and Holyfield 5-8 carries a game. I think you will see much more 2 TE sets, possiblely 3 at times all in the 6'5" 250 lb range and 2 were state champion hurdlers in Georgia.. At WR we will have the most speed ever at UGA, good size with 3 over 6,2". The most offensive weapons I can ever remember being at UGA at one time. There is no AJ Greene here or Hershel Walker, but they weren't on the same team either. IF has issues stopping the run, I don't see how they can win. Maybe because Schottenheimer was so bad at OC, but Chaney impressed me with his schemes, his formations to create matches he wanted, especially with the TEs and forcing LBs to cover RBs, and I was so very thankful to not see a single WR screen the entire spring scrimmage. We threw 10-12 of those a game for about 2 yards per completion.

I can just about guarantee you UGA isn't going to line up in the I 90% of the time. Now if Chubb is back to 100% I do expect everyone we play to get a good dose of him, but Sony Michel isn't a scrub either, Elijah Holyfield was the top back in Georgia last fall which usually means he is at least a pretty good back and will get carries. I look for Chubb to get about 20, Michel 10-12 and Holyfield 5-8 carries a game. I think you will see much more 2 TE sets, possiblely 3 at times all in the 6'5" 250 lb range and 2 were state champion hurdlers in Georgia.. At WR we will have the most speed ever at UGA, good size with 3 over 6,2". The most offensive weapons I can ever remember being at UGA at one time. There is no AJ Greene here or Hershel Walker, but they weren't on the same team either. IF has issues stopping the run, I don't see how they can win. Maybe because Schottenheimer was so bad at OC, but Chaney impressed me with his schemes, his formations to create matches he wanted, especially with the TEs and forcing LBs to cover RBs, and I was so very thankful to not see a single WR screen the entire spring scrimmage. We threw 10-12 of those a game for about 2 yards per completion.
Yikes, where do I start? The most offensive weapons you can ever remember being at UGA at one time? I don't even have to think back 10 years to come up with one. The 2008 Stafford - Moreno - Green - Massaquoi team doesn't do it for you? Three of those four have started a large number of games in the NFL with two being bona fide superstars.

Also, Chaney was......pretty bad at Pitt. UGA is going to win this game in Atlanta, but if you think the 2016 Dawgs are going to be world beaters, you're setting yourself up for a big letdown.

Any attempt to load the box or blitz more would've exposed weaknesses, like more open receivers, but Baylor hadn't yet proven they could throw. Johnny Jefferson threw just three times, connecting on one pass, yet ran 23 times averaging 13 ypc. As a team with were 10/18 passing for 6.8 avg, but rushing 7.7 ypc.
I originally bristled at your suggestion UNC fans should be upset with Chizik, but that's a good point. We were getting absolutely massacred up front and a "double or nothing" strategy might have made a difference. Maybe that would've won the game, or maybe we would have lost by three TDs.

Instead, it seemed like Fedora/Chizik decided to hold the line, try to get a stop/turnover, and outscore the Bears. That obviously never happened but we kept the score respectable despite how badly we got whipped on the field.

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but it's worth remembering Mack Hollins has to sit the first half of the opener. He was flagged for targeting while blocking in the second half vs. Baylor.

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but it's worth remembering Mack Hollins has to sit the first half of the opener. He was flagged for targeting while blocking in the second half vs. Baylor.

Bummer, though as it is (at least in my opinion) our deepest position group we should be able to soldier on for at least a half without him.

First, I love the fact we are playing Georgia. Great matchup. However, I wish it wasn't the FIRST game. I just think with UNC's offense, they need one game against a weak opponent to get things going. So my answer is NO. We are not at the SEC level yet. We are getting better and with the recruits we are getting, we will be getting even better. Plus, our defense isn't to the level it needs to be at yet.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Maybe we're a finesse or timing-oriented offense instead of power, and that is why we need time to get things going? Maybe.

QB aside, it doesn't get much more experienced than what we have at OLine, WR and RB. QB is obviously a giant factor, but starts-wise our OLine must be one of the highest in the nation. I think it will be a nice advantage.

They might be breaking in a new QB, they have a new coordinator, so i'm thinking our O could be sharp compared to theirs.

Their D coordinator is gone to Bama, will things be much different with a new person? Maybe they'll have some problems/wrinkles there too if we're lucky. I feel our coaches took a game or two to settle on defensive personnel. We had Joe Jackson/Collins as the OLB beside Schoettmer in nickel packages vs SCAR... that was before coaches new that Shakeel was the right one for that job.

I think a number of people missed that about Baylor. It may be that in the back of the mind was the thought: they are not UT or OU, so they can't be that big and strong on the OL.

But they were and are. Briles has recruited not merely super speed and quickness, but also size and strength and depth on both lines of scrimmage. If that Bears team had been fully healthy all year, it likely would have been in the playoff.

We need that size and strength and depth on the DL and at LB to counteract the best OLs.
he also recruits guys that enjoy beating up chicks.

Reactions: jaluise
So do a lot of coaches. You sound like a Wuffie with that comment.
Baylor has had a disproportionate number of abuse incidents including a guy dismissed from BSU who almost immediately got caught abusing his girl friend at Baylor. Something like 9 incidents in the last couple of years. I would call that concerning.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Baylor has had a disproportionate number of abuse incidents including a guy dismissed from BSU who almost immediately got caught abusing his girl friend at Baylor. Something like 9 incidents in the last couple of years. I would call that concerning.
True. Certainly concerning.

Baylor was legitimately 2-3 deep at every position on both the offensive and defensive line. Hard to overcome an opponent when your DL as a whole is at rep 75, while their OL is only at rep 25 collectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT