ADVERTISEMENT

With a whole week off What should the team work on?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I just have a few ideas and then I will let others express their opinions on the subject:

I would like to see Ingram posting up more defenders like he was doing earlier in the season instead of relying on so many jumpers. Maybe some passes in the paint would help him to use his bulk in close…

Similar scenario for Ryan. He is such a great free throw shooter I would like to see him drive more than once or twice and either score or get fouled…

I would like Cadeau to slow down mentally because to me most of his turnovers are because he thinks too much instead of using his natural talent and reacting to the situation.

The team needs to work on out of bounds plays when they are being pressed. And speaking of pressing if Carolina is playing at the minimum 8 players a contest why not work on some defensive pressing this week.

Finally from me the team needs to find some shooters when there are two or three subs in the game at the same time.

My bad one more except for the last game against Virginia Tech where Cadeau worked the clock and scored right before the end of the first half this time off would be a excellent opportunity for others to show they could be the man instead of Davis EVERY TIME taking the last shot…

What else in your eyes should the team work on with a full week off?

Defensive rotations
Defensive rotations
And defensive rotations

During our win streak the rotation of the third and forth defender was what propelled our defense to its great heights. When the help defender came over to assist primary, the third and forth defenders were rotating in synch with the help defender. This focused connection is what caught my eye defensively. The last 5 games that has been gone after 8-10 games with it present. We need that 5-synchro-as-1 back on defense.

DEFENSE! Defense fuels transition.

During the first 9 conference games, UNC's average pt margin was 78 to 63. In the last 6 games, it is 82 to 80.

EDIT: Andrew mentioned 3pt defense in his article where, opponent 3fg% jumped from 25% to 34% (1/4 to 1/3) over the two spans mentioned (this yielded +6 avg). I'll also add Opponent 2ptFG was +8 over the two spans mentioned and jumped from 43% to 52% (around ~2/5 to 1/2). So interior defense suffered just as much as 3pt defense, and allowed more pts

Last edited:
Harrison: Foul shooting.

Elliot: Quick-stepping away from 3-pt shooters the instant they leave the ground. And 3-pt shooting. And foul shooting.

Cormac: Passing to the interior. Finishing at the rim.

Seth: Dunking.

Paxson: 3-pt shooting.

I think first and maybe foremost is they need to iron out their communication issues on defense. Need to get back to only switching when they have to and that takes communication that was good for a while but seems to have waned since we played duke. They need to learn to defend the extra long last second on the shot clock banked in treys that have a funny way of showing up in games we do not win! LOL

On offense, lot of getting shots up, really working on honing in their jumpers. I think they need to work on bringing in JWash, JWit, and Seth more in to the offense when they get in. Hey, could we please explain to guys that the back door cut is actually still legal in NCAA basketball, they seem to have completely forgotten about that? Would also like to see our guards especially realize that selling a strong ball fake tends to create a lot of better shots for ya, I think especially important vs a team like UVa. Would like to see a focus on ball fake drive the pressure doubled down on as well as drive looking for the assist rather than finish, drive draw and kick.

Really love to see them work on some 2 man games, example, Seth slips ball to the big and immediately makes a hard cut to the rim on the pass back, that would be a heck of an option for JWit so begin to use. Work on the motion offense precepts, how and what angles to set the screens, guy like JWash setting a high screen and popping up for the jumper rather than rolling back to the basket at times.

I would play a little game with some guys call it, first to 1,000. I would take Ryan, Seth, Cadeau, JWash, JWit, High, and Paxon; all week, each day the guy to hit 1,000 treys in the fewest shots per session, the average taken and the guy with the lowest average number of shots taken on those treys gets to start vs UVa. Let the cream rise! I think that would be a solid bit of competition that not only hones in some jump shooting but gives the staff a feeling of comfort as to who may be your better shooters that maybe should be getting more solid looks. Know why I did not include Ingram in that game, I would have him busy putting up free throws, plus he is going to start no matter who wins that shooting competition and should!

Why aren't we seeing alley oops when Washington and/or Withers are in?

Unless there's some good reason not to, I'd practice the heck out of those.

And while we're at it, why not oops to Seth. Draw out their big men, and let Seth show us his hops. How often will Seth be defended by a guy who can out-jump him?

I'm assuming Elliot would be good at delivering those alley oops.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT