ADVERTISEMENT

With the talent we have, if we had App St coaching staff

Louisville thought that too
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Just because you're good at one school, it doesn't guarantee success at another. Especially when you are going from a group of five to a P5 team.

Hard for me to watch the video of Mack in the locker room dancing. Hard to watch.
He's celebrating a win with his kids. You can enjoy the moment or be bitter. He chose the former. I'm guessing that's what he's learned is the best thing to do, after being a coach for 40 years.

Mack celebrates anything, even an embarrassing win. And I guess that's OK for him. He is what, 71? More money than the next few generations can spend, and his wife is happy living in Chapel Hill. And beyond obvious that he is eating well, and everything he wants. To that point, Nike needs to send him maybe a XXXL sweatshirt instead of that XXL he was squeezed into yesterday. His gut was truly testing the seams yesterday. But away from Mack's world and into mine, yesterday was a downer. That UNC even scheduled to go play at App is one thing. But we all know that was a victory released from the jaws of defeat by App St mistake on the 2 pt conversion. We will see. Maybe this team will catch fire as Mack says. But right now, I am not sure this defense could stop a good high school team. Until that is fixed, if it can be fixed, UNC has zero hope of beating anyone of relevance

I think there will be some really interesting conversations in the defensive rooms this week. They must learn you can not relax at any time during a game. It happened two time yesterday. App let up after taking a two score lead and the Heels went conservative and brain dead in 4th quarter. Who they are or want to be as a team will show up over next few weeks. Norte Dame may beat us by 50 if we don’t see some real growth.
p.s. if we beat GA St. ( not a forgone conclusion) I will take a 3-0 start with 2 road wins

He's celebrating a win with his kids. You can enjoy the moment or be bitter. He chose the former. I'm guessing that's what he's learned is the best thing to do, after being a coach for 40 years.
He just came off a losing season. What did he learn from that?

What I see is an old man who would rather be a kindly grandfather delighted to play childish games with the young uns rather than teach them all the things they really need to know.

He just came off a losing season. What did he learn from that?

What I see is an old man who would rather be a kindly grandfather delighted to play childish games with the young uns rather than teach them all the things they really need to know.
The things they need to know? I see...

You're wasting your time and wisdom here when you could be teaching college football players what they "need to know."

• Haha
Reactions: uncboy10
midline, your post above reminds me of my conversation with a neighbor of mine, Sunday, he went undergrad to App St. He went to the game. Besides being a crazy game, we decided both teams need much work on defense. As Jones Angel said both teams, if they had been playing smart, could have won the game before they got to the 60's.

At this point Chizik knows that the current 4 man "bull rush" just isn't hitting home AND Duck has lost a step AND the safeties/LBs are making some wrong decisions angle/gap-wise.

You also have no depth at LB, maybe nobody else trustworthy in the secondary (what is up with don chapman?), so that group is going to get tired and mistake-prone. Add it all up and you have a disaster.

Maybe the gaps/angles can improve but that's it.

I hoped a Vanilla D with shutdown corners could bend and not break, but we don't have those corners and the DL isn't keep the LBs clean enough vs the run.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
How much better would we be?
I'm not sure how much better we'd be offensively. Passing game is fine, so it kinda boils down to whether the run game would be different due to x&o's, but largely due to whether the players on the OL would be different technique-wise, gel-wise, etc.

Staff just waiting to unleash the beasts on D when notre dame comes to town
If by beasts you mean some unexpected exotic (Bateman) plays - i'll take it! I would probably need to come from Warren rather than Chizik though - or else we're just talking about a simple corner blitz.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
This 2 game defensive performance was not expected and you could tell it in Mack Browns tone on Monday. He was expecting(like most fans) much better results from Chiziks group in the first two games. The schedule was set for patterned growth in the first 3 games, get the extra week of prep for ND, and bigger strides take hold.

JMO, the defensive line with the exception of Vohasek(who usually drew the double team) was consistently blocked by one lineman(and engaged for excessive periods of time). There has been lots of positive talk about the edge defenders(Collins, Evans, Taylor) but they did not hold up against an undersized App front. The backs ran around them or right passed them. The defensive backs are just giving too much cushion. UNCs defense has become a downfield ball chasing group. So that visual has not changed from the last few seasons.

After watching the App offense, with not just the variety of easy successful plays but the dysfunction in execution of our defensive set calls, this Carolina D has many a snap to play before it can hope to come together as a unit.

Longo has got to keep the pedal down, forget conservative when up by 2/3 scores. No margin is safe from here out.

Reactions: Archer2 and blazers
Our offense has taken a step forward. Drake Maye is a good/great quarterback. I had app down as a loss at the beginning of the year and we managed to win. We are playing a number of top 25 teams and 6 wins is probably a good year, 7 would be better. I am excited to see what happens next. We have some talent, but not top 10 talent. Certainly not top 10 depth. Mack has made us relevant during a time we could have fallen off the face of the earth back to bunting days. I hope our defense makes a quick turn around, but with all the problems we have had, I hope we have a step in the right direction. This team can win if we can hold teams to 28.

I still think there is some weird pyscho-social thing that is making them soft. Every game players admit they ease up on the gas too soon - Cam Kelly said so about app.

We've seen these guys execute and play tough, like that game vs Clemson, like NCSU last yr, etc. I won't be surprised if we see more legit effort and overall better attempt at execution soon vs ND, Miami, etc, then some more slack vs GT, VT, etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT