ADVERTISEMENT

Wofford

Paint. We lost the game from 2 point range last year. Treys were equal and ours on less shots iirc.

EDIT: we took three more treys to make the same amount they did. Both teams made seven three pointers. Magee was 4-12 from downtown. Not exactly killing it.

Usually when there is an upset bid from a team like Wofford over a team like Carolina there is one guy who goes off and carries momentum. As simple as it sounds, I feel like if we take Magee out of the game early then we’ll have no problem. Put K Will or Nas on him and just D him up. Make others make the plays to beat us.

Me too Mike,but been looking at their roster. They lost their #7 man out of their top 10. WOW, returning A LOT of experience plus a few freshmen that may be stellar. I'm always a glass half full, but in this case I'm hoping we bring our A game!

Would be nice but if we’ve learned anything over the past decade its that unc RARELY brings its A game this early in the season. Coach is gonna experiment and there wont be good flow. We’ve laid some eggs.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Takes young pups time to gel in our offense. Normally not fluid until 10 or so games in. BUT with our out of conference schedule, we better get fluid in a hurry .. is all i'm saying.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Takes young pups time to gel in our offense. Normally not fluid until 10 or so games in. BUT with our out of conference schedule, we better get fluid in a hurry .. is all i'm saying.

I remember Davidson beating us in Chapel Hill a few years ago, and we hammered them the following year in their building....I'm hoping for the same result this time, but Wofford will be confident going in after beating us last year, and the fact that 4 starters return along with some talented freshman will make for a challenging game and atmosphere tomorrow night in Spartanburg...

I remember Davidson beating us in Chapel Hill a few years ago, and we hammered them the following year in their building....I'm hoping for the same result this time, but Wofford will be confident going in after beating us last year, and the fact that 4 starters return along with some talented freshman will make for a challenging game and atmosphere tomorrow night in Spartanburg...

Yeah, got a strong feeling that our guys will be looking to make a point, sorta like:

You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit in to the wind,
You don't pull the mask off the ole Long Ranger,
And ya don't piss off Jim, cause Jim is a Tar Heel!

Is it more important to stop Magee's 3 point shooting tomorrow night or to counter Jackson's inside game that controlled the paint last year?
Priority #1 is to be "Carolina" in the paint. That can offest a lot of stuff and there's no excuse for not doing that. Plus we are far from a well-oiled machine at this stage. Hostile environment? Pound them into submission. Own the glass.

Priority #1 is to be "Carolina" in the paint. That can offest a lot of stuff and there's no excuse for not doing that. Plus we are far from a well-oiled machine at this stage. Hostile environment? Pound them into submission. Own the glass.

Yeah I think that’s priority number 1.

That said, if we go under Magee screens we may not have many rebounding opportunities cuz my man doesn’t miss open shots.

Hold him under 20 and they can’t win.

I trust Roy and I know how great of a coach he is but I have been a die hard Carolina fan but is it me or does Roy sometimes welcome early season losses as a true teaching moment.... I have seen games like this get out of hand and Roy just sits back with his arms folded. I hope tomorrow isn't one of those nights.

I trust Roy and I know how great of a coach he is but I have been a die hard Carolina fan but is it me or does Roy sometimes welcome early season losses as a true teaching moment.... I have seen games like this get out of hand and Roy just sits back with his arms folded. I hope tomorrow isn't one of those nights.

I’ve been saying for years that Roy is perfectly content to lose a game if it teaches a bigger lesson and he thinks it will payoff later. Dean was the same way. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Easy solution.... pour yourself a good whiskey, put the feet up and enjoy the start of The college ball season!
We all know there are going to be wonky line-ups, less time-outs and poignant teaching moments during some head-scratching early season losses so why worry?

[I originally posted this in the prediction thread. Fits better here.]

Berry had a solid 23-point game to keep us close. Who's going to take up that slack?

Theo had a bad game, so maybe someone can fill in there.

That was Cam's first game for us. He shot poorly from the field (but well from the line). Not likely to shoot so poorly this time.

Luke was 17 and 14. Maybe he can do better but he's probably not the guy we need to see step up.

Garrison also had a pretty good game last year against Wofford. Ortg=131. Not too shabby. He should be able to give us more minutes, more rebounds and better D.

Who else?

I don't know Wofford's roster for this season, but looking at last year's box score, only one of those guys was a senior. Derrick Brooks, who at 6'3 managed to grab 8 rebounds against us. Another "how did that happen" moment. Anyway, we could be facing basically the same team.

Can Coby/Seventh give us what JB gave us? Maybe eventually. Not sure I would bet on it this game.

Can Cam/Nas make up for Theo's poor game last year? That's where I'd put my money.

Sterling didn't impress last year, either. So that's another place I'd look for more help.

Could be a good game for BRob and Andrew to show us how much they've improved.

I'd also like to see Huff and Leaky get some burn.

Some of my main keys of this one are that we need to be tougher in the paint and own the glass, last year we only outrebounded them by 4. Owning the defensive glass will be big for us so we can get out and run more and push the pace.Wofford is going to come out pumped up, so let's take it right to them early. Also, on the offensive glass getting more offensive possessions can really wear them down as they play their main guys for a large chunk of the minutes.

I really believe that Garrison is going to make a statement against Jackson this year coming out aggressive and ready to battle with him. I think this starts on the defensive side of the ball and using that strength he has added this offseason combined with his fundamentally sound D.

From looking back to last years game, I also think we need to move the ball better and convert our opportunities in the paint, we missed a fair amount of close range buckets that could've put us ahead by more early on. And defensively, I think ball pressure is key-forcing Wofford to turn the ball over, last year the only turned it over 7 times, so I am looking for our guards to be very active and to force Wofford to be uncomfortable. Kenny Williams lead the way! I think our bench could be key also by bringing great energy on D and being disruptive. I know we still have ways to go in having everything mesh together, but I really believe that the Heels get the win and head out of Spartanburg 1-0.

I don't think Roy welcome any loss. I think he hates losing. I think he would rather win, and chastise the players for their mistakes.

This is going to be a serious test of this teams level of fight. Realize, this lil Wofford team embarrassed us last year in the Dean Dome and I want to see some Tar Heels come out pissed off and ready to serve up some revenge. Not a close game, a pounding is what we need to serve up, 30+ pt game and biscuts! WE need to see some serious defensive effort, we need to see intensity, need to see maturity.

Tell ya what else I would LOVE to see, Huff elevated above Manley in the rotation, want to see that for 2 reasons. First, Huff come in, Huff go get ball, Huff dunk, Huff go back down court (said in cave man speak or maybe The Hulk :). I want to see him able to impose his physicality and I really don't care how quickly he picks up, I just want to see some no messing around, catch ball dunk ball, box out a guy all the way to the locker room, MY REBOUND, I take my rebound! LOL

Second, I think Manley could use a message sent, you got to step up, you have to get more involved in the game, you have to show some passion and will. From what I have seen from the kid, especially this season, I have not seen the fire a big man has to come with to play at this level. Ya got to get that motor reved up my man and you have a great op now to do just that. Brooks played big time in Bahamas and against Mt Olive, time for his buddy to step it up as well.

I discounted a LOT of what I saw from Manley last season because he just didn't have the stamina, his stamina is greatly improved now (passed his run in allowable time). So now I can not discount for stamina, it is what it is now.

I want to see us push the ball so hard and fast every possession. We have the depth and horses to run these kids outta of the gym early if we will keep pushing.

That was last year's game. Magee killed us. Hope Kenny is ready to be velcro on that guy. We have got to be tougher on them inside this time. Can't allow easy drives and weak post D.

We had a bad game. They finished the year 21-13, 114 RPI, & 192 SOS. Not to be taken lightly, but let's not overhype.

Magee is legit though. 6-4, reasonably athletic, most 3's in the nation last year and at a 44% clip.

Also looks like we'll probably have the luxury of guarding Magee with a 3. Would like to see Nas on him. I think Cam could give him trouble as well. Putting Jjax on smaller guards in the tournament 2 years ago worked well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT