ADVERTISEMENT

Words you can never spell correctly

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Without the help of a dictionary, or spell check, or at least stopping to think really hard about it. I was just thinking about this the other day, and then @TarHeelNation11 mentioned "Cincinnati" in another thread.

Mine are:

- occasion (are there two s's? why would there be two s's?)
- accommodate (two c's and two m's? are you sure about that?)
- separate (is it separate or seperate?)
- judgment (there's no "e" after the "g" because English is stupid)

Ones I see spelled incorrectly all the time:
- definitely (definately)
- a lot (alot or allot)
- they're / their / there (don't get me started)
- it's / its (and my new favorite, its', which doesn't even make any sense)

Mine are:

- occasion (are there two s's? why would there be two s's?)
- accommodate (two c's and two m's? are you sure about that?)

I botch those two frequently as well. Calendar is another that gets me. I want to go with "er" at the end instead of "ar". And for as much as I hate them, I should spell millennial correctly more often. But I frequently butcher that one too. And privilege will stump me from time to time. I think I sometimes try to cram a "d" in there and maybe trade an "e" for an "i". I don't know. But I got it right just now when typing it so that's a win.

I botch those two frequently as well. Calendar is another that gets me. I want to go with "er" at the end instead of "ar". And for as much as I hate them, I should spell millennial correctly more often. But I frequently butcher that one too. And privilege will stump me from time to time. I think I sometimes try to cram a "d" in there and maybe trade an "e" for an "i". I don't know. But I got it right just now when typing it so that's a win.
I misspell privilege a lot. I always put a "d" in there (giggity). For me:

- rhythm (I just got it right but I always have to think about it)
- occurrence (isn't it also correct to just have one "r" ?)
- Cincinnati of course

I always put a "d" in there (giggity).
74499-quagmire-giggity-gif-U1PT.gif

I don't have enough time in the day to list the words I always get wrong. Lets put it this way, if spell check doesn't exist I wouldn't have graduated from college. I would like to add to the "ones I see wrong all of the time" list, two/to/too. That one kind of gets on my nerves.

I'm almost embarassed to answer the OP's question . . let me ponder it some.

Receive (I routinely get "ei" words reversed)
Kindergarten (always seem to write "...garden)
Congratulations (replace the "t" with a "d" again)

No - I always catch it first. But when you say that word out loud, it sounds more like "Con-grad-u-lation"

Or for me it does

I was always one of the first ones that had to sit down when we had the spelling bee in school so they're all hard for me to get right.

spelling-300x230.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT