ADVERTISEMENT

Jawad Williams On This Years Team

Tarheel75

All-ACC
Oct 8, 2018
Ladies and gentlemen, its almost that time of the year… The UNC Basketball season is about to start. There are a lot of familiar faces in new places at UNC. As well as a few new faces. Of all the familiar faces, one really stands out. That face belongs to the new Men’s Head Basketball Coach, Hubert Davis. Since taking over, Coach Davis’ love for the program has been on full display. He can be seen on social media giving motivational pep talks to his team and he also has been doing an amazing job on the recruiting trail. I think it’s safe to say everyone is happy with the hire of Coach Davis and the great staff of former Tar Heels he has on his bench.

I remember exactly how I felt when I got word that Coach Roy WIlliams was going to retire. After the initial shock, my next question was, “Who will take over”? Luckily, we didn’t have to wait too long for the answer to that question. On April 5th, 2021, Hubert Davis was named the Head Coach of the UNC Tar Heels. Coach Davis was definitely on my personal list of people I wanted to see get the job. I was also very relieved that the job would be staying within the Carolina Family. With Coach Davis now at the head of the bench, lets talk about what we can expect to see from our Tar Heels.

Under Coach Davis, I think we should expect to see a more “open” game. A lot of four out, one in type offensive situations. Meaning four guys around the perimeter to spread the floor and a big, or any mismatch on the low blocks. I also believe the traditional Carolina fast pace game, will be in full effect. Also expect an extremely heavy emphasis on playing great defense. This team has the personnel and the capacity to do the things that I’ve mentioned. The team has also added shooters, multi-position players, another big body, and the returning players are a year more mature and ready to go.

Let’s talk personnel. Starting with the guards, Caleb Love and RJ Davis are back in the fold and I believe they will have much better outings this season than they had last year. This summer, with things getting back to being somewhat normal, myself and other former Tar Heels were able to be around the gym and work with the guys. I witnessed Caleb putting in consistent work on becoming a better shooter. After observing him, I realized that his shot isn’t as bad as his percentages might show. He has good mechanics, but what will help him most is his shot selection and being confident in the work that he has been putting in. I see a big year ahead for Caleb, proving a lot of doubters wrong. I see RJ building on the solid foundation he he set as a freshman. He plays with a lot confidence and can score the ball. This is summer I seen a lot from Kerwin Walker. Not only is Kerwin one of the best shooters in the country, to my surprise he has a lot more than a jump shot in his bag. If Kerwin improves on the defensive end, he has all ACC potential. A healthy Ant Harris is a game changer for UNC. Ant plays with an energy on both ends of the floor, that only he can bring to the game. His hustle plays on defense and his ability to make a play out of nothing will win some games for the Tar Heels.

On to the wings. The most experienced wing on the UNC roster is Leaky Black. As many of you know, I have been a big fan of Leaky Black from the time he stepped on campus. He has always had the tools to be a big time player, and he has given us flashes of what could be. Well now, its time for everything to come together. Leaky can no longer be in the shadows of the team. He has to emerge as a the leader of this bunch, while also being the ultimate glue guy. Puff Johnson will provide spacing for the Heels with his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter. We can’t expect Cam Johnson from Puff, but there are similar attributes. Also remember when we got Cam we got an older and experienced Cam, so be patient with young Puff. I really like the addition of Justin Mckoy. It’s hard for me to understand how or why he didn’t see much time at UVA. He can really shoot the ball and he can finish above the rim. Justin’s versatility is hard to come by. If the opportunity is there, this could be a huge year for the NC native.

This years bigs will be a force this season. Armando is a instant double double and he has worked on his jump shot. Armando dominating in the paint and being able to score from fifteen feet out, is dangerous for opponents. The improved outside shooting of the team and not having another traditional big on the floor with him at all times, will give the big fella even more room to operate. The transfers, Dawson Garcia and Brady Manek, improve this team tremendously. If Dawson does what he did at Marquette, UNC will be very hard to beat. I know Tar Heel fans remember the show he put on against UNC in the Smith Center. Brady Manek aka the bearded bucket getter, is an elite three point shooter, but what goes unmentioned is his athleticism. He goes hard to the offensive glass and can play through contact. Once again, he is another versatile piece that can be moved around the court to create match up problems for opponents.

I saved the young guys for last. D’ Marco Dunn and Dontrez Styles are exactly what you want in freshmen getting ready for the big stage. Marco plays at his own pace, is fearless, and is very explosive. Once he gets the system figured out, he is going to be fun to watch. Trez is a beast! I see him contending for minutes early. He can score from inside and out, and like Marco he is fearless on the court. These two guys have impressed me a lot with their work ethic and willingness to learn. I think by now its very well documented the long and sometime weird hours that I put in at the Smith Center. This summer I would often run into one, if not both, of these young guys getting extra work in. On one occasion, these two guys after playing pick up, pulled up chairs to sit and talk with Shammond Williams and myself. We sat on the Smith Center floor answering all of their questions and sharing our experiences with the two freshmen for about two hours. For me it all felt so surreal, because Shammond was my mentor and now I’m here taking on this mentor role, with him. These young guys have what it takes to be successful at UNC and if they keep the mindset and work ethic they have, college basketball will see it sooner than later.

I’m looking forward to an exciting and successful season for my Tar Heels. Coach HD said he was tired, “tired of losing, tired of not going to the final four. Tired of not winning championships”. I think Coach HD has the staff and the players to get things done. There will be ups and downs, but I see my guys having a great season. Be sure to check out Late Night, “Tar Heels ‘N HD”. Our guy B Daht, from 102 jamz radio, will be hosting. We know he will kill it. If you’re looking for cool UNC merch, check out RLamarclothing.com. Also my children’s book series “Nailah & Nash” is available on Amazon or visit www.NailahAndNash.com.

Till next time… GO HEELS!

SHARE THIS:​

RELATED

Ladies and gentlemen, its almost that time of the year… The UNC Basketball season is about to start. There are a lot of familiar faces in new places at UNC. As well as a few new faces. Of all the familiar faces, one really stands out. That face belongs to the new Men’s Head Basketball Coach, Hubert Davis. Since taking over, Coach Davis’ love for the program has been on full display. He can be seen on social media giving motivational pep talks to his team and he also has been doing an amazing job on the recruiting trail. I think it’s safe to say everyone is happy with the hire of Coach Davis and the great staff of former Tar Heels he has on his bench.

I remember exactly how I felt when I got word that Coach Roy WIlliams was going to retire. After the initial shock, my next question was, “Who will take over”? Luckily, we didn’t have to wait too long for the answer to that question. On April 5th, 2021, Hubert Davis was named the Head Coach of the UNC Tar Heels. Coach Davis was definitely on my personal list of people I wanted to see get the job. I was also very relieved that the job would be staying within the Carolina Family. With Coach Davis now at the head of the bench, lets talk about what we can expect to see from our Tar Heels.

Under Coach Davis, I think we should expect to see a more “open” game. A lot of four out, one in type offensive situations. Meaning four guys around the perimeter to spread the floor and a big, or any mismatch on the low blocks. I also believe the traditional Carolina fast pace game, will be in full effect. Also expect an extremely heavy emphasis on playing great defense. This team has the personnel and the capacity to do the things that I’ve mentioned. The team has also added shooters, multi-position players, another big body, and the returning players are a year more mature and ready to go.

Let’s talk personnel. Starting with the guards, Caleb Love and RJ Davis are back in the fold and I believe they will have much better outings this season than they had last year. This summer, with things getting back to being somewhat normal, myself and other former Tar Heels were able to be around the gym and work with the guys. I witnessed Caleb putting in consistent work on becoming a better shooter. After observing him, I realized that his shot isn’t as bad as his percentages might show. He has good mechanics, but what will help him most is his shot selection and being confident in the work that he has been putting in. I see a big year ahead for Caleb, proving a lot of doubters wrong. I see RJ building on the solid foundation he he set as a freshman. He plays with a lot confidence and can score the ball. This is summer I seen a lot from Kerwin Walker. Not only is Kerwin one of the best shooters in the country, to my surprise he has a lot more than a jump shot in his bag. If Kerwin improves on the defensive end, he has all ACC potential. A healthy Ant Harris is a game changer for UNC. Ant plays with an energy on both ends of the floor, that only he can bring to the game. His hustle plays on defense and his ability to make a play out of nothing will win some games for the Tar Heels.

On to the wings. The most experienced wing on the UNC roster is Leaky Black. As many of you know, I have been a big fan of Leaky Black from the time he stepped on campus. He has always had the tools to be a big time player, and he has given us flashes of what could be. Well now, its time for everything to come together. Leaky can no longer be in the shadows of the team. He has to emerge as a the leader of this bunch, while also being the ultimate glue guy. Puff Johnson will provide spacing for the Heels with his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter. We can’t expect Cam Johnson from Puff, but there are similar attributes. Also remember when we got Cam we got an older and experienced Cam, so be patient with young Puff. I really like the addition of Justin Mckoy. It’s hard for me to understand how or why he didn’t see much time at UVA. He can really shoot the ball and he can finish above the rim. Justin’s versatility is hard to come by. If the opportunity is there, this could be a huge year for the NC native.

This years bigs will be a force this season. Armando is a instant double double and he has worked on his jump shot. Armando dominating in the paint and being able to score from fifteen feet out, is dangerous for opponents. The improved outside shooting of the team and not having another traditional big on the floor with him at all times, will give the big fella even more room to operate. The transfers, Dawson Garcia and Brady Manek, improve this team tremendously. If Dawson does what he did at Marquette, UNC will be very hard to beat. I know Tar Heel fans remember the show he put on against UNC in the Smith Center. Brady Manek aka the bearded bucket getter, is an elite three point shooter, but what goes unmentioned is his athleticism. He goes hard to the offensive glass and can play through contact. Once again, he is another versatile piece that can be moved around the court to create match up problems for opponents.

I saved the young guys for last. D’ Marco Dunn and Dontrez Styles are exactly what you want in freshmen getting ready for the big stage. Marco plays at his own pace, is fearless, and is very explosive. Once he gets the system figured out, he is going to be fun to watch. Trez is a beast! I see him contending for minutes early. He can score from inside and out, and like Marco he is fearless on the court. These two guys have impressed me a lot with their work ethic and willingness to learn. I think by now its very well documented the long and sometime weird hours that I put in at the Smith Center. This summer I would often run into one, if not both, of these young guys getting extra work in. On one occasion, these two guys after playing pick up, pulled up chairs to sit and talk with Shammond Williams and myself. We sat on the Smith Center floor answering all of their questions and sharing our experiences with the two freshmen for about two hours. For me it all felt so surreal, because Shammond was my mentor and now I’m here taking on this mentor role, with him. These young guys have what it takes to be successful at UNC and if they keep the mindset and work ethic they have, college basketball will see it sooner than later.

I’m looking forward to an exciting and successful season for my Tar Heels. Coach HD said he was tired, “tired of losing, tired of not going to the final four. Tired of not winning championships”. I think Coach HD has the staff and the players to get things done. There will be ups and downs, but I see my guys having a great season. Be sure to check out Late Night, “Tar Heels ‘N HD”. Our guy B Daht, from 102 jamz radio, will be hosting. We know he will kill it. If you’re looking for cool UNC merch, check out RLamarclothing.com. Also my children’s book series “Nailah & Nash” is available on Amazon or visit www.NailahAndNash.com.

RELATED

75, You forgot to put the Quotation marks that acknowledge these to be Jawad's words from his blog. I know, may seem nit picking but a lot of folks are funny about that and can be especially so in the blog world. Just trying to be helpful!

Very good read, the 2 items that caught my attention, that I maybe didn't enjoy was his take on both Leaky and Puff. Of course, just my personal opinion and Jawad for sure has more access than I do but he is a good bit higher on Leaky than I find myself and not as positive on Puff as I seem to be. So that will be interesting to see how things unfold for those 2 fellas this season. The rest of it, I kinda already knew from what Hubert has said over the summer and sources available to all of us.

So yeah, has me excited, hopefully not to excited that my expectations grow to high as I posted yesterday. It would be nice for a change to have a season that exceeds the expectations, after the last couple basketball seasons and this season's UNC football.

Oddly enough his comments resonate with me perfectly.......hmmmmm curious, lol!

75, You forgot to put the Quotation marks that acknowledge these to be Jawad's words from his blog. I know, may seem nit picking but a lot of folks are funny about that and can be especially so in the blog world. Just trying to be helpful!

Very good read, the 2 items that caught my attention, that I maybe didn't enjoy was his take on both Leaky and Puff. Of course, just my personal opinion and Jawad for sure has more access than I do but he is a good bit higher on Leaky than I find myself and not as positive on Puff as I seem to be. So that will be interesting to see how things unfold for those 2 fellas this season. The rest of it, I kinda already knew from what Hubert has said over the summer and sources available to all of us.

So yeah, has me excited, hopefully not to excited that my expectations grow to high as I posted yesterday. It would be nice for a change to have a season that exceeds the expectations, after the last couple basketball seasons and this season's UNC football.
May be so, but the Thread Title attributes the article to Jawad.

May be so, but the Thread Title attributes the article to Jawad.
Not fussing with you my friend, it would be nice to give the link to his blog, maybe drive him a few more hits? I have always been taught that when I use someone else's words that I use them with quotes, I got hammered on a paper one time for that and it has just always been a thing for me. If I paraphrase, I do try to remember to attribute but if I directly quote then I use the marks. I am not in any way trying to be a jerk by suggesting this so please don't take it that way.

Not fussing with you my friend, it would be nice to give the link to his blog, maybe drive him a few more hits? I have always been taught that when I use someone else's words that I use them with quotes, I got hammered on a paper one time for that and it has just always been a thing for me. If I paraphrase, I do try to remember to attribute but if I directly quote then I use the marks. I am not in any way trying to be a jerk by suggesting this so please don't take it that way.
I'm good.., no problem.

Reactions: DSouthr
This ignorant Heels fan thought I'd cracked the code on 75's true identity because I knew him to be a former player paired with the lack of quotation marks!

Now back to my helmet adjusting and window licking. 😄😂😆

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
This ignorant Heels fan thought I'd cracked the code on 75's true identity because I knew him to be a former player paired with the lack of quotation marks!

Now back to my helmet adjusting and window licking. 😄😂😆
You suggesting that 75 is Jawad? Sorry but I think 75 has a few years on Jawad.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Styles is going to be very good and I believe wasn't ranked right and will be a heck of wing for us.
What has really excited me concerning Trez is from all I hear he has shown off MUCH better jump shooting than was initially expected. I am hearing that he has a lethal mid range game and has shown a solid jumper out to the trey arch. Not only was that not expected, it has been almost shocking from what some of our former players have expressed privately. I was sold on his leadership qualities and felt he could develop a solid mid range game but the whispers suggest the kid is in process of taking it a completely higher level than was even nearly expected.

Don't know how much of it we will see this season but it does sound like the kid will get more opportunity even this coming season than we could have expected. The real surprises for this team are the 2 freshmen are MUCH better than expected and McKoy is a gem!

RELATED

SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm good.., no problem.
I have a curious question I have been meaning to ask you, I notice your screen name as Tarheel75 and we have another long time poster UNC 75, wondering if the 2 of you know each other, maybe went to school together?

They went to school with 20K peeps! BUT it still feels like a small home town!

Somewhat subtle call out of leaky. It’s true, it’s time. If he does emerge as a “big time player” which to me means all
Acc caliber, then unc will have a very good year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT