ADVERTISEMENT

Y2K

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
What was your reaction to what was being told about it? Did you do anything to prepare?

I remember the paranoia of many in my area. It took some 5 years to eat all their can goods

What was your reaction to what was being told about it? Did you do anything to prepare?

I remember the paranoia of many in my area. It took some 5 years to eat all their can goods

No, I wasn't worried, although I had a buddy who was. Of course, he's one of those people who's always worried about everything.

I was 12, so didn’t really know a ton about it or do anything to prepare.

I do remember counting down to midnight that night expecting that all the power was gonna go out when we got to 12:00

Reactions: Grayhead
We have a local group here in the area that each year travels around town firing their muskets and shotguns. They start at midnight on the New Year and go until the end of the day. It sounds like you're in the middle of a battlefield when they do it. My younger son was 12 years old at Y2K and he had never heard the New Years Shooters. When they did it close by our house that year, he thought the earth was blowing up so he shouted out "it's Y2K" and hid under his bed.

I know in the couple of years leading up to Y2K, our software venders did a bunch of reprograming to allow for 4 digit years in dates because they said it everything would re-set back to 1900 at the turn of the century if we continued using 2 digits for the year.

Reactions: Raising Heel
We have a local group here in the area that each year travels around town firing their muskets and shotguns. They start at midnight on the New Year and go until the end of the day. It sounds like you're in the middle of a battlefield when they do it. My younger son was 12 years old at Y2K and he had never heard the New Years Shooters. When they did it close by our house that year, he thought the earth was blowing up so he shouted out "it's Y2K" and hid under his bed.

I know in the couple of years leading up to Y2K, our software venders did a bunch of reprograming to allow for 4 digit years in dates because they said it everything would re-set back to 1900 at the turn of the century if we continued using 2 digits for the year.
In rural parts of Germany they shoot off guns on Christmas eve and New year's eve.

Last edited:
This was the problem for computer programs at Y2K. You had to go through thousands and thousands of lines of code to change the year to 4 digits. They did finally come up with software that would do the search for you but that only came towards the end of the deadline. IBM made millions and millions on this.

Reactions: HookUNC75
This was the problem for computer programs at Y2K. You had to go through thousands and thousands of lines of code to change the year to 4 digits. They did finally come up with software that would do the search for you but that only came towards the end of the deadline. IBM made millions and millions on this.

And those TPS reports were a real bitch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT