ADVERTISEMENT

Yard tool thread

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
best yard tools either gas or electric?

i ask mainly because i have a ryobi backpack leaf blower and i've used twice and i can't start it...so, if you have any purchasing suggestions, please...i even called around and people tell me they won't even work on ryobi blowers because they're difficult to assess and fix...and nobody told me before i dropped $200 on it last spring.

my favorite right now is the old school toro mower that cost me $189 ten years ago...it still gets it done.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Gas all the way. I have had a Stihl blower for 15 years and still kicking. Same with Stihl trimmer/weed eater. Have a Toro mower and would not get anything else.

Reactions: gteeitup
I loved my gas powered blower until it died after only two seasons and I got the same response: not worth the cost to fix. I got a B&D one that uses the same batteries as my string and hedge trimmers. The batteries are old now and don't hold a charge very well, but I only use the blower to clear the driveway anyway. If I were purchasing a blower I would get either gas or corded; they need too much juice to go cordless.

Last edited:
i have a ryobi backpack leaf blower and i've used twice and i can't start it....
I have a 3,100 psi Ryobi pressure washer and love it. But yeah, after putting it away for the winter, it was hard to crank up the next season. When it's working it's freaking awesome though. I "accidentally" put a groove in my concrete entry way trying to see how much juice it had. Oops!

this is sounding like a ryobi thing the more i research.

might give it one more shot with some new gas, but i'm about done with the thing.

If you use gas products, be sure to use ethonol free gas. Had all sorts of issues with my small gas engines. Started burning nonethonol gas and have had 0 issues since.

That's a friggin pro tip if I have ever heard one.

this is sounding like a ryobi thing the more i research.

might give it one more shot with some new gas, but i'm about done with the thing.

Check YouTube. I had a similar issue with a Stihl weed-eater and someone had a 5 minute video that had me going again as good as new

Problem with ethonol gas and small engines is it leaves a type of varnish in the carb. Most likely you will need a small engine mechanic to rebuild it. I also quit buying from the box stores and went to actual dealers who service the equipment. Spend more up front and save by not replacing the whole unit after a year.

I have a Stihl backpack blower and a weed-eater, I absolutely love Stihl products.

I also leave Sta-Bil treated gas in all my gas tools through the winter because of the many internal plastic parts, as this helps from drying out and becoming brittle. Gone are those olden days of running out the gas for storage purposes. I have the blower and weed-eater serviced every 2 years, and my mower and leaf vacuum every year.

My blower is actually a Poulan Pro. I've had it for over ten years and a couple of weeks ago it messed up. I am thinking of cleaning the carburetor to see if that works before I get a new one. However, that is a long time for a lower end blower. It isn't a backpack blower (don't really want that much power, though wouldn't mind having both) but has good power. I would never go electric or battery powered though. I have a lot of leaves in my yard.

My mower is a Husqvarna, pressure washer is a Generac, and weedeater is a Stihl. I have a cheaper weedeater as well to use in the woods on my trail. I don't know what brand my push mower is. It's red. :)

Hell yeah! How did I miss this thread?

I have a Husqvarna backpack blower. I've had it 10 years, never taken it for cleaning and service and never had one problem with it. It can sit for months and I can usually get it cranked up pretty easily.

54cb1b22599fc_-_leaf-blowers-02-0913-lgn.jpg

My weedeater is a "Weedeater Featherlight". Straight shaft. What I love about this brand is how lightweight it is and how durable it is. It's also pretty inexpensive. I'm pretty rough on my weedeaters. So I have to get a new one every 2 or 3 years. But when I only pay $89 for one, I'm ok with that. And it''s the kind where you have to feed the cut pieces of line through - not the spool. I don't like the ones with a spool because that's just something else that can break. I've had 3 of this particular weedeater and the only thing that has ever broken is the primer bubble on one of them.

maxresdefault.jpg

k2-_a949d782-8b37-4ffb-a8b1-16283560862b.v1.jpg

I have a Craftsman riding mower. it's about 5-6 years old and it takes some TLC but it's pretty good. I have to service it at least once a year but I know the guys that run a small engine repair shop and they treat me well. I don't have any of the accessories though. I hope to save up some dough so I can get the bagger and a trailer for it. 42" cut.

145dd29f378c69ed4120ea3ceeb383e7.jpg

But my baby is my Craftsman chainsaw. Granted, it's only a Craftsman, but I Love this tool. I mean, what dude doesn't love a chainsaw? It's fairly lightweight and compact, but I'm not a professional logger so it does what I need it to do.

spin_prod_1024187212

I have a push mower also. I can't even remember what brand it is. But I've had it close to 20 years, never get it serviced and it's the most reliable piece of equipment I have.

@gunslingerdick that blower, which one is that?...i just left a hometown store that recommended that brand, and a specific model.

i might go get it after i try some youtube tricks i saw.

Def stihl or husqvarna. Dont store them for the winter with gas in them. Never use ethanol. Be accurate with fuel mixing.

Interesting thing about ryobi that i found out from a friend who was a vp for them. They "reverse engineer" to develop all their products. They buy a competitor's drill or weedeater or whatever then take it apart to figure it out. Then they make their own with only cosmetic differences. Prob is their quality control SUCKS compared to others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT