ADVERTISEMENT

Yet Another Reason to Dislike the NCAA

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
You don't have to like NC State to recognize what a-holes the NCAA folks are for denying Henderson a chance to play.

I won't link it but this quote pretty much nails it:

So in the case of Terry Henderson, cruelly denied a sixth year at N.C. State in apparent violation of both recent precedent and human decency, the guideline to remember is that these rules are in place for a reason. Schools want to discourage transfers by making players sit out a year (and continue to seek acceptable ways to neuter the grad-transfer rule), so the NCAA enforces the letter of the law.

I know there will be temptation to say "how does it feel to get screwed by the NCAA" but I'm just focusing on the player, who (as far as I can tell) was never anything but a quality presence on that team and did everything he could to be eligible. I mean, come on, the kid was sidelined with an injury in the very first game after sitting out his transfer season.

I feel badly for the young man. Reminds me of Bobby Frasor at UNC. In both cases the common sense and common decency path would have been to make an exception and grant 1 more year of eligibility.
Exactly.

I also thought of Frasor. Missed a chunk of 1 season and most of the next due to injury, but played a couple of games too many in that 2nd season (he appeared in 12 of 39 games). So the letter of the law says no redshirt year, but the kid missed more than a normal full year in those 2 seasons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT