ADVERTISEMENT

You are looking LIVE

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
falling-off-chart-1160x881.jpg

...At my work productivity today. Thanks OOTB.

Whoa dude, I know we both like Jersey Mike's and QT and everything, but let's not get weird here.
I thought you were using the Royal 'We' -- my mistake.

ETA: the correct spelling is "woah." I'll fight you if you don't agree. And don't get me started on using "yea" for "yeah."

I thought you were using the Royal 'We' -- my mistake.

ETA: the correct spelling is "woah." I'll fight you if you don't agree. And don't get me started on using "yea" for "yeah."
Googled "Woah or Whoa" and this is what I got.

Whoa vs. Woah. How do you spell the exclamation that rhymes with the word “woe”? Is it woah or whoa? The correct spelling in the United States is whoa, but when words are primarily transmitted orally, spelling often varies.

I agree on "yeah" though.

I grew up with the Musburgers, Gowdys, Schenkels, Michaels, Scully, Jackson & Cosells. I thought Brent was one of the better guys early on, he sure covered all the sports . .

Congrats on his retirement, its a wonder that with all the travel demands in that profession that some don't retire earlier, but, I guess once that line of work gets in your bloodstream its tough to let go of.

Just came on here to find this thread to poast this. Well done.

I know a lot don't like him, but I've always liked Musburger. Like Nessler, his voice just feels like college football to me.

The only thing I like about Musburger is his voice. It's the quintessential broadcaster voice. Oh, and his part in the Waterboy with Dan Fouts was awesome.

I grew up with the Musburgers, Gowdys, Schenkels, Michaels, Scully, Jackson & Cosells. I thought Brent was one of the better guys early on, he sure covered all the sports . .

Congrats on his retirement, its a wonder that with all the travel demands in that profession that some don't retire earlier, but, I guess once that line of work gets in your bloodstream its tough to let go of.
This is a good point Billy, especially with basketball. Musburger does SEC basketball, and some of those locations are not the easiest to get to for an aging man.

ETA: holy s***, he's 77?!? Damn.

He just got killed by a fellow sportswriter (Christine Brennan - USA Today) because of his commentary of the OU football game where he supposedly wasn't as harsh on Joe Mixon as she thought he should have been. I didn't watch that OU bowl game so I don't know what Musburger said or didn't say but Christine Brennan sucks and he piece in the USA Today criticizing him (basically she called for him to step down) was a hit piece.

He just got killed by a fellow sportswriter (Christine Brennan - USA Today) because of his commentary of the OU football game where he supposedly wasn't as harsh on Joe Mixon as she thought he should have been. I didn't watch that OU bowl game so I don't know what Musburger said or didn't say but Christine Brennan sucks and he piece in the USA Today criticizing him (basically she called for him to step down) was a hit piece.
........you have to be ****ing kidding me. I hope Musburger slaps the **** out of her if they ever cross paths.

I watched that game and what Musburger said was NOT bad at all. JHC, now I'm ****ing pissed off. Thanks a lot.

I grew up with the Musburgers, Gowdys, Schenkels, Michaels, Scully, Jackson & Cosells. I thought Brent was one of the better guys early on, he sure covered all the sports.
I agree he was a good one. Probably stayed on a little too long, like many do, as evidenced by his on-air commentary about quarterbacks' girlfriends and the like.

........you have to be ****ing kidding me. I hope Musburger slaps the **** out of her if they ever cross paths.

I watched that game and what Musburger said was NOT bad at all. JHC, now I'm ****ing pissed off. Thanks a lot.
He went on and on about how a domestic abuser (Mixon) was going to land on his feet without ever expressing any concern for the victim. It was awkward at best.

Reactions: UNC71-00
He went on and on about how a domestic abuser (Mixon) was going to land on his feet without ever expressing any concern for the victim or acknowledging the act itself was heinous. It was awkward at best.
And? Dalvin Cook hit a girl. No one expressed concern for the victims' well-being during any of their games this year. Better fire all those announcers.

I hate our society. I really do.

I agree he was a good one. Probably stayed on a little too long, like many do, as evidenced by his on-air commentary about quarterbacks' girlfriends and the like.

I'm not going to lie...I remember the Bama game he called and him basically ejaculating on air when he was talking about McCarron's girlfriend. That was,...uhh,...uncomfortable.

He went on and on about how a domestic abuser (Mixon) was going to land on his feet without ever expressing any concern for the victim. It was awkward at best.

Like I said, I didn't watch that game and I don't know what he said or didn't say other than the excepts that Brennan outlined in her piece. From what she included, it sounds a little inappropriate but there's no context to it so it's hard for me to form an opinion on that. However, he's a sports broadcaster. His job is to talk about sports and things surrounding sports. I would prefer my sportscasters to not dig into societal issues as the main reason most people watch sports is to escape that kind of heavy stuff. That's why as much as I respect Bob Costas for his career work, I almost can't stomach him any longer.

And? Dalvin Cook hit a girl. No one expressed concern for the victims' well-being during any of their games this year. Better fire all those announcers.

I hate our society. I really do.
Did the announcers for Dalvin Cook's games bring up the incident? Did they give speeches about how he's going to be alright? My guess is they didn't mention it at all, or didn't belabor the point like Musburger did. Yes, you should hate a society that is willing to brush aside domestic abuse because the attacker can run really fast.

I would prefer my sportscasters to not dig into societal issues as the main reason most people watch sports is to escape that kind of heavy stuff. That's why as much as I respect Bob Costas for his career work, I almost can't stomach him any longer.
Exactly. Mention it and move on. Brett kept gushing about it which is why it became a problem.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I think that Brennan goes over the top in looking for him to talk about the victim, and all that crap. Newsflash - people aren't tuning in to the OU bowl game to hear about how that girl's doing. Yes the action was despicable, but no one wants to keep rehashing it.

However, I do think Musburger went a little far when he said he hopes Mixon gets a second chance and goes on to a successful career in the NFL. That's his opinion, and he's welcome to voice it - but he should expect to hear some contrarian opinions from those that hope Mixon fails miserably due to his past actions. Personally, I don't exactly wish ill will upon him, but I think it would be nice if that roster spot in the NFL was taken by someone less scummy (although lets be real, the NFL is already full of scumbags).

I did find this part funny: "Excuse me if I break out a familiar phrase: You are looking live, Brent, at one of the worst things a college football player has ever done." Umm, hello you moron - you're talking about a video that is over 2 years old, that's in no way "looking live".

I did find this part funny: "Excuse me if I break out a familiar phrase: You are looking live, Brent, at one of the worst things a college football player has ever done." Umm, hello you moron - you're talking about a video that is over 2 years old, that's in no way "looking live".

Right? Nor is it one of the worst things an athlete has ever done. Hello Baylor. Hello Rae Carruth. Hello boxing. But as we've seen the past few days, the trendy hot topic right now is all about women. Obviously any kind of abuse is awful and what Mixon did was horrific. But why is it worse than any other football player sucker punching anyone? Is it worse because the victim is a woman? I don't want to entirely hijack this thread with a discussion on "women's rights" and all that, but isn't the message mixed? I mean, women want to be equal in every way with men - and I believe they should be. But if that's the case, why do we look at a man battering a woman any worse than we do a man battering a man? Seems like that goes against the whole message women are sending right now.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT