ADVERTISEMENT

You deserve a pat on the back if......

You deserve a pat on the back if you actually read letters people write to you.
What are you, a monster? Somebody in this day and age takes the time to put pen to paper and put it in the actual mail to you, and you're just gonna toss it in the bin with the Suddenlink ads and Bloomberg flyers? Reading it is the LEAST you could do.

What are you, a monster? Somebody in this day and age takes the time to put pen to paper and put it in the actual mail to you, and you're just gonna toss it in the bin with the Suddenlink ads and Bloomberg flyers? Reading it is the LEAST you could do.
I would read the letter while thinking this person is an idiot for wasting time and money on a letter. Exemptions for holidays and the elderly.

Reactions: Grayhead
I never said I don't read them. But struggling through someone's chicken scratch and misspellings when they could have easily just typed it up, is worthy of a pat on the back.

Getting a letter in the mail is awesome. I know you children around here don't know about letters, but before we had electronic communication, people would actually write communication on paper and mail it to each other. It was incredible.

In all seriousness, I miss letter writing. I still personally hand write thank you notes to people from time to time because it's a sign of appreciation. Anyone can fire off an email. But if someone takes the time to hand write a letter and put it in the mail, it just means more. Plus, getting something in the mail that isn't a bill is fun.

Getting a letter in the mail is awesome. I know you children around here don't know about letters, but before we had electronic communication, people would actually write communication on paper and mail it to each other. It was incredible.

In all seriousness, I miss letter writing. I still personally hand write thank you notes to people from time to time because it's a sign of appreciation. Anyone can fire off an email. But if someone takes the time to hand write a letter and put it in the mail, it just means more. Plus, getting something in the mail that isn't a bill is fun.
Getting mail as a kid was always exciting. Now it's just bills and flyers.

Reactions: Heelicious
Getting mail as a kid was always exciting. Now it's just bills and flyers.

Whenever I travel for work, I always send my kids a postcard (I sometimes get home before the postcard which is a letdown but that ain't on me). Because I remember how awesome it was when I was a kid and my dad had mailed me one from wherever he was. I still have those postcards. And I'm sure one day after he's gone, I'll like to look back through those. I hope my kids keep the ones I've mailed them.

You deserve a pat on the back if you take care of your own lawn instead of having someone else do it.

*ETA - I feel so strongly about this that I should have posted in the "you deserve a beating thread" conversely.

I know I'm old school, but my wife and I still make our 3 kids (15, 18, 20 years old) list the gifts they get from friends and relatives especially at Christmas, and write each giver a personal thank you note card. Shows you really do appreciate it.

You deserve a pat on the back if you take care of your own lawn instead of having someone else do it.

*ETA - I feel so strongly about this that I should have posted in the "you deserve a beating thread" conversely.
Double poast are allowed. This is the yen of that yang

Reactions: Terror Beard
A kinder, gentler OOTB thread. I can dig it.

You deserve a pat on the back if you put away your cell phone while driving.
@Raising Heel you had me at "put away your cell phone"
in the restaurant...
in the car with others...
in the home.....
and on and on.

What a sickness in the world, at least in US, that people can't go 15 minutes without the addictive hit of looking at their phone. It has decayed society a lot...people losing the ability to actually talk to others face to face, create relationships, dating, courting, friendships, etc.

in the restaurant...
in the home.....
and on and on.

What a sickness in the world, at least in US, that people can't go 15 minutes without the addictive hit of looking at their phone. It has decayed society a lot...people losing the ability to actually talk to others face to face, create relationships, dating, courting, friendships, etc.
Is refreshing OOTB allowed?

in the restaurant...
in the home.....
and on and on.

Youth are, by and large, socially retarded because of it.

in the restaurant...
in the home.....
and on and on.

This sounds good in theory until you realize putting your phone down would result in you having to talk to your wife.

What if you drive a Tesla? @Louigi
I text all the time in the Tesla in autopilot. Much different than video games. Tesla actually has it's own video games and Netflix on console, but won't work while driving. I got windows tinted extra dark so cops can't see texting and give me a ticket.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
I text all the time in the Tesla in autopilot. Much different than video games. Tesla actually has it's own video games and Netflix on console, but won't work while driving. I got windows tinted extra dark so cops can't see texting and give me a ticket.

So now they'll just give you a ticket for having too high of a tint.

If you predicted on fri that all the hype around unc fb recruiting from those in the know indicated more than just drake maye committing.

Shout out to the overly polite shoppers at the grocery store this morning. The staff was restocking the shelves so it was pretty crowded in there. Sometimes people had no choice but to block the aisle for a second but then it turned into British satire with everyone trying to out-apologize each other. "Oh, no, pardon ME!"

I'll agree to this but the rule is that you only let one out. And then you go. And then the next guy let's one out and then he goes. I will get just as angry at someone letting 10 cars out as I will someone letting no one out.
I have to inject my opinion that the guy who holds up traffic and causes a number of cars (or just mine) to miss a light, to let someone out just so he can get his anticipated warm fuzzy wave of appreciation, deserves a beating; as well as failing to get his wave of thanks. Let the dude in when the light has just changed to red and not before. Have a brain instead of a needy emotional character, and help all traffic move along.

But you deserve a pat on the back if you don't go apeshit just because traffic is merging up ahead and people are flying past you to get to the merge point. As resentful as that can make you feel, try to understand that that is keeping traffic from backing up worse behind you That is why you can be ticketed for blocking them.

Once a week I buy a random persons lunch in a restaurant, just walk up ask for their bill. If they refuse i just tell them to buy someone else's.

I had a woman start crying one time because I bought hers not that she didn't have the money but she was just overcome with the fact that someone was being nice. She told me she was going to start doing this.

I was a zaxbys one time and someome in line ahead of me bought mine and I just said let me pay for who was behind me 37 bucks later I paid it forward. That one cost me apparently they had the whole fam damily in the car!

Once a week I buy a random persons lunch in a restaurant, just walk up ask for their bill. If they refuse i just tell them to buy someone else's.

I had a woman start crying one time because I bought hers not that she didn't have the money but she was just overcome with the fact that someone was being nice. She told me she was going to start doing this.

I was a zaxbys one time and someome in line ahead of me bought mine and I just said let me pay for who was behind me 37 bucks later I paid it forward. That one cost me apparently they had the whole fam damily in the car!
My wife and I have done that a few times. I gotta admit though, if I'm in the drive-thru and about to pay for the person behind me, I will take a peek to see how many people are in their car (is that wrong? :D). Or if it's early on a weekday morning, I might try to listen to them placing their order. You never know if they are picking up 2 dozen sausage biscuits for their company, and I ain't paying for that.

Reactions: notashelbyfan

great idea...done the grocery line thing, but this is so good to read...thanks for inspiring me.

Reactions: notashelbyfan

Yeah, I've done this several times in the past few years. But I never do it when I'm in a restaurant. I've only done it in a drive thru line. I like it better that way. Because I can't see the person I'm doing it for and they can't see me. I order, and take notice of the car behind me. When I pull around, I ask the place how much the bill of the person behind me is. If they'll tell me and if it's reasonable, I'll pay it so when they get to the window, they just grab their shit and go. They never know who did it and I never know who I did it for.

It feels good, but never as good as I want it to.

in the restaurant...
in the home.....
and on and on.

add at work to that list!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT