ADVERTISEMENT

You have $18 to spend: Build Your All-Roy Starting 5

DeuceManJones

Junior
Jan 25, 2018
I've compiled a list of who I deem to be the best / most integral parts of Roy's teams here at Carolina (apologies to Reyshawn Terry, Kenny Williams and Kennedy Meeks who just missed the cut).

Quick notes:

I'm sure you've seen the $15 versions, but I expanded it to $18 in order to accommodate more guys.

I combined Wings and Bigs into singular categories since Roy's system is interchangeable.

Sorry, no small ball.

The only liberty I really took was with Marcus. Due to the glut of great PGs, I designated him as a wing. He ended up playing off the ball much more than any of the others listed as PGs.

You obviously cannot exceed $18, but don't have to spend it all.

So, pick one PG, two Wings and two Bigs from the following:

Point Guards (1):

$6 - Lawson
$5 - Felton
$4 - Marshall
$3 - Berry
$2 - Coby
$1 - Cole

Wings (2):

$6 - McCants, Ellington
$5 - Marvin, Barnes
$4 - Jackson, Green
$3 - Paige, Noel
$2 - Cam, Bullock
$1 - Manuel, Pinson

Bigs (2):

$6 - Hansbrough, May
$5 - Zeller, Wright
$4 - Luke, Brice
$3 - Jawad, Henson
$2 - Davis, Brooks
$1 - McAdoo, Deon

Who ya got?

Lawson 6
Cam 2
Jackson 4
Jawad 3
Henson 3

$18.

I guess.

If I can put Coby at the 2 I might make that move for Cam.

Lawson 6
Cam 2
Jackson 4
Jawad 3
Henson 3

$18.

I guess.

If I can put Coby at the 2 I might make that move for Cam.

I considered allowing Coby as a wing because had he been here this season, then he would've been the 2. Marcus actually did it, though.

Honestly no matter who you spent your $18 on you were going to field a good team. I strongly considered Marcus and Cam over Pinion and Jackson. And hard to leave off Sean May. Hansbrough's motor and ability to get to the line tipped the scales his way for me.

Cool post. I would love for any of these teams to suit up. Especially last year.

Yep.

Take all the $1:

Cole
Jackie
Theo
JMM
Deon

That's a title contender.

Honestly no matter who you spent your $18 on you were going to field a good team. I strongly considered Marcus and Cam over Pinion and Jackson. And hard to leave off Sean May. Hansbrough's motor and ability to get to the line tipped the scales his way for me.

It's just so hard to leave off Hansbrough. Perhaps he should be worth $8 or be disqualified from the ballot altogether. Generational player.

I've compiled a list of who I deem to be the best / most integral parts of Roy's teams here at Carolina (apologies to Reyshawn Terry, Kenny Williams and Kennedy Meeks who just missed the cut).

Quick notes:

I'm sure you've seen the $15 versions, but I expanded it to $18 in order to accommodate more guys.

I combined Wings and Bigs into singular categories since Roy's system is interchangeable.

Sorry, no small ball.

The only liberty I really took was with Marcus. Due to the glut of great PGs, I designated him as a wing. He ended up playing off the ball much more than any of the others listed as PGs.

You obviously cannot exceed $18, but don't have to spend it all.

So, pick one PG, two Wings and two Bigs from the following:

Point Guards (1):

$6 - Lawson
$5 - Felton
$4 - Marshall
$3 - Berry
$2 - Coby
$1 - Cole

Wings (2):

$6 - McCants, Ellington
$5 - Marvin, Barnes
$4 - Jackson, Green
$3 - Paige, Noel
$2 - Cam, Bullock
$1 - Manuel, Pinson

Bigs (2):

$6 - Hansbrough, May
$5 - Zeller, Wright
$4 - Luke, Brice
$3 - Jawad, Henson
$2 - Davis, Brooks
$1 - McAdoo, Deon

Who ya got?
Marshal (4)
McCants (6)
Green (4)
Jawad (3)
Deon (1)

It’s funny, I watched the title game against Illinois and the Dook game at HIS from 2009 and both times said Jawad was vastly underrated and said the same thing about Deon. Really wanted Felton or Lawson, but Butter with those four will do just fine. Nice thread @DeuceManJones

Reactions: DeuceManJones
This is REALLY hard and a very entertaining and thought provoking idea. I started to put something together but then saw others and their teams and said damn I FORGOT about say Sean May or Brice or Cam.

Lawson (1)
Theo (2)
Cam (3)
Deon (4)
Hans(5)

D, IQ, scoring, athleticism, rebounding, shooting, toughness, and killer will! With unlimited funds, I would have taken McCants, HB, and Brice but you have to play the cards you are dealt!

Marshall (4)
Paige (3)
Cam (2)
Jawad (3)
Hansbrough (6)

Interior toughness with possible outside shooting with Jawad on the break. Good floor general with good shooters from the wings in Cam and Paige. May not be the best defensive team but would prove to be an offensive juggernaut!

How do you guard this team? An ultra quick PG, three guys who can light it up from anywhere on the floor, a great rim protector, and one of the toughest guys to ever play college ball in the middle.
My team would beat this team by 30. My team is literally unbeatable for the money allotted and options.

My team would beat this team by 30. My team is literally unbeatable for the money allotted and options.
In your dreams. Henson is a PF, not a center. Any team without Hans is automatically disqualified.

4-0 in H.I.S. How often has that happened. I think he and Danny were both a part of that. Rare air.

ty.jpg

Last edited:
In your dreams. Henson is a PF, not a center. Any team without Hans is automatically disqualified.

4-0 in H.I.S. How often has that happened. I think he and Danny were both a part of that. Rare air.

ty.jpg
Nobody on your team can defend Jawad from your front court. Which brings either hansbrough out to get scorched or your rim protector Henson away from the basket which will let Lawson to the rim at ease.

Cam and Justin Jackson are both ridiculously big for wings causing a nightmare for your perimeter players. Lawson is a more controlled and just as fast Coby.

Nobody on your team can defend Jawad from your front court. Which brings either hansbrough out to get scorched or your rim protector Henson away from the basket which will let Lawson to the rim at ease.

Cam and Justin Jackson are both ridiculously big for wings causing a nightmare for your perimeter players. Lawson is a more controlled and just as fast Coby.
Neither Cam no Jackson are quick enough to play SG. Nobody on your team could begin to guard Hans. Your team is all finesse with the exception of Lawson, no muscle inside.

Seems pretty obvious: Coby White, Reggie Bullock and Cameron Johnson for $2 each. Great size, legitimate 6'4", 6'7"and 6'8". They can all make 3s at will. Sean May was 10 of 11 in the national championship game and 6 of6 from the line. Hansbrough is the leading scorer and rebounder by miles and miles

Neither Cam no Jackson are quick enough to play SG. Nobody on your team could begin to guard Hans. Your team is all finesse with the exception of Lawson, no muscle inside.
Neither Cam nor Jackson are quick enough to play the 2??? What?????

They both are tall enough they can even cheat and sag off if an ultra quick offender was against them, but Danny Green is not one. And, Lawson would easily bottle Coby up or lead him into a Henson blockfest.

Both Henson and Jawad can extend out to the wings (Brooks wouldn't be a bad choice here but Henson is such a better defender and rim protector.)

Both are a matchup nightmare for Hansbrough on the offensive end. Hansbrough could take Jawad on the block, but Henson is the kind of player that gave Hansbrough nightmares to play against. Jawad would cover Henson and Henson cover Hansbrough.

Neither Cam nor Jackson are quick enough to play the 2??? What?????

They both are tall enough they can even cheat and sag off if an ultra quick offender was against them, but Danny Green is not one. And, Lawson would easily bottle Coby up or lead him into a Henson blockfest.

Both Henson and Jawad can extend out to the wings (Brooks wouldn't be a bad choice here but Henson is such a better defender and rim protector.)

Both are a matchup nightmare for Hansbrough on the offensive end. Hansbrough could take Jawad on the block, but Henson is the kind of player that gave Hansbrough nightmares to play against. Jawad would cover Henson and Henson cover Hansbrough.
Obviously, it’s a moot point that can’t be proved one way or another. Fun to debate though. Either team would be fantastic.

Marshal (4)
McCants (6)
Green (4)
Jawad (3)
Deon (1)

It’s funny, I watched the title game against Illinois and the Dook game at HIS from 2009 and both times said Jawad was vastly underrated and said the same thing about Deon. Really wanted Felton or Lawson, but Butter with those four will do just fine. Nice thread @DeuceManJones
@Archer2 @imajericho, my squad would run your guys out of the gym. Ya’ll are debating about being a runner up.

Marshal (4)
McCants (6)
Green (4)
Jawad (3)
Deon (1)

Lawson 6
Pinson 1
Jackson 4
Brice 4
Henson 3

I wanted to do a second one lol I’d probably roll with this one instead of my first one! Good luck scoring in the paint on this team lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT