ADVERTISEMENT

You knew this was coming... Nike involved in pay for play scandal

truetarheelraider0806

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2016
Tmrw at 11 am ET, we will be holding a press conference to disclose a major high school/college basketball scandal perpetrated by
@Nike
that we have uncovered. This criminal conduct reaches the highest levels of Nike and involves some of the biggest names in college basketball.

Bet dook is over in Durham shredding, burning, and eating evidence as we speak

Tmrw at 11 am ET, we will be holding a press conference to disclose a major high school/college basketball scandal perpetrated by
@Nike
that we have uncovered. This criminal conduct reaches the highest levels of Nike and involves some of the biggest names in college basketball.

Lord Zion's fat ass already took care of some 'shredding.'

@Nike

Got MY popcorn ready! :)

It was interesting seeing this guy (Michael Avenatti) in this thread. Can't trust him as far as you can throw him.
If there is stuff out there on Nike / payments, I assume people with a lot more credibility and ethics than Michael Avenatti will get their hands on it.

My question is...will he still release the info or does that get him in even more trouble?

Reactions: UNC '92
Looks like he made the whole thing up. At least that’s how I read into it.

-
Looks like he made the whole thing up. At least that’s how I read into it.
I am not trying to derail this thread....but wasn't MA involved in both Stormy Daniels story and some other stories he made up about women from Brett Kavanaugh's past? Being intentionally vague - his nickname through all media outlets is "creepy p_rn lawyer"

I don't know. I think an AAU coach and former Nike employees are also involved/arrested.
The way stuff is shaking out, people getting indicted, getting fired, sent to prison for the Adidas side of things... out of an FBI investigation....it'd surprise me if something doesn't also happen within Nike schools. Too much smoke for there not to be fire IMO. And some things just seem very fishy about how so many top tier kids end up at a couple schools.

Who knows though? If it were NCAA prosecuting this, I'd give zero confidence they'd ever hold cash cow and flagship programs like Dook and Kentucky accountable. Or, they'd only do it if they could take down some lower level assistants, handlers, with no impact to Rat, CashCal, or the actual programs regarding wins, current recruits, etc.

Well, since Nike won't pay him, then he might as well divulge who it is.

People are saying the dots are going to get connected very soon. Too many details are known about the coach, someone will put it together.

That said, neither UK, KU, or Duke have any major players from Cali so odds are it's not one of their kids.

People are saying the dots are going to get connected very soon. Too many details are known about the coach, someone will put it together.

I do believe in God.
I don't believe that God cares about college basketball games or any sports.

But I just want to say: " a just God would have this whole pay-for-recruits thing blow up in Dook's (and UK's) faces this week, leading into them both getting beaten before Final Four".

Zion and his family getting rung up. Then and only then would I like to watch the Zion cam, or whatever it is called. I admit I want this to happen too much (almost not healthy, my hatred for them). And I also am certain that it won't.

I am not a conspiracist at all about tournament seedings, even officiating, etc about Dook. But you can't deny that the media coverage is disproportionate to other players, coaches, teams, results

But I will go to my grave also convinced that things are not on the level, up-and-up, ethical, at Kansas, UK, Dook. Regardless of whether they ever get busted.

So what I get from this story is that Nike paid Zion's family. Is that right? Cool. I'll run with it.

AffectionateObeseBlacklab-small.gif

and there was enough about bagley that didnt add up. Surely you throw enough Shiitake on the wall something is bound to stick.

Reactions: Heelicious
That's what I'm looking into.

Don't think he ever played AAU in Cali but he did play for Nike sponsored Sierra Canyon HS.
Who is "Bagley" and what does he have to do with this story? He is not a freshman, so he's not on this Dook team. I don't even have any idea who he played for, when. Let's get back to Zion cam, and talking about how great Rat was at obliterating the weakest 8 seed as an overall 1 seed yesterday" /sarc

Reactions: ajklum
somehow in the end I sense if Duke or UK were ever close to getting caught, the narrative would change to "well, so many schools have done it since the beginning of time, and players need to get paid, so these programs were just noble in being trailblazers in this social / economic justice for these poor (eventual multi-millionaire) players". Something to totally let them off the hook.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
somehow in the end I sense if Duke or UK were ever close to getting caught, the narrative would change to "well, so many schools have done it since the beginning of time, and players need to get paid, so these programs were just noble in being trailblazers in this social / economic justice for these poor (eventual multi-millionaire) players". Something to totally let them off the hook.

I'm with you...but...they wouldn't be wrong.

And for the record, when people bring up our academic scandal, that's my answer because it's the right one. Literally every school has paper classes for its athletes.

I'm with you...but...they wouldn't be wrong.

And for the record, when people bring up our academic scandal, that's my answer because it's the right one. Literally every school has paper classes for its athletes.
Dadika - on which part are you saying they wouldn't be wrong? On either of the "everybody does it" or the "these kids aren't getting paid, and should"....I definitely think it is a different set of rules, for a few schools working with AAU and shoe cos to pay to get recruits...and a majority of schools who aren't in these "pay recruits" (5 and 6 figure amounts) scandals. I sure don't think UNC / Roy does this. Maybe I am naïve. I do get that it goes far beyond Dook, UK,KU, Arizona, NCSU.

Dadika - on which part are you saying they wouldn't be wrong? On either of the "everybody does it" or the "these kids aren't getting paid, and should"....I definitely think it is a different set of rules, for a few schools working with AAU and shoe cos to pay to get recruits...and a majority of schools who aren't in these "pay recruits" (5 and 6 figure amounts) scandals. I sure don't think UNC / Roy does this. Maybe I am naïve. I do get that it goes far beyond Dook, UK,KU, Arizona, NCSU.

I think 99.9% of power 5 programs give kids extra benefits and it varies on severity based on school/player. I think UNC would fall to the extreme safe end because we simply haven't won any top recruits. The ones that seem to win the biggest recruits would seemingly be doing the most.

No doubt dook is paying players. Bagley's family was definitely receiving improper benefits given the story drudged up by Oregonian staff. Also, dook staff absolutely knew as they took visits at that location.

Is it an NCAA violation? Perhaps they could have structured this in a way that technically doesn't meet criteria. Was all the money payment for coaching services? If so was Bagley's dad being paid a disproportionately high salary? What does that even mean?

Was any of it illegal - conspiracy to defraud schools or tax evasion?

The take home is players are being paid to play at dook, which should get more media attention. Is it illegal or an NCAA violation we don't know.

I think 99.9% of power 5 programs give kids extra benefits and it varies on severity based on school/player. I think UNC would fall to the extreme safe end because we simply haven't won any top recruits. The ones that seem to win the biggest recruits would seemingly be doing the most.
Agreed. And I meant to say - I 100% agree with you on the easy classes for athletes at schools everywhere, almost every level / size.

I went to a small D -1A school, and while I wasn't involved in sports, everybody knew the athletes at my college (almost all colleges) were able to take some shockingly easy classes, and get favorable grading benefits, even at schools without big time sports, money, potential pro athletes.

Agreed. And I meant to say - I 100% agree with you on the easy classes for athletes at schools everywhere, almost every level / size.

I went to a small D -1A school, and while I wasn't involved in sports, everybody knew the athletes at my college (almost all colleges) were able to take some shockingly easy classes, and get favorable grading benefits, even at schools without big time sports, money, potential pro athletes.
pretty much any student is gonna find & take a couple of "easy A" electives if they can... got to keep that gpa up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT