ADVERTISEMENT

Your coaching staff is here

Lots of continuity and some changes... let's get going with recruiting and the portal

...and let's hope the complaining stops now. Strong bench. X-and-O and Guard fundamentals guru in Jeff, strong Bigs coach and rising recruiting star in Sean, continuity with Brad.

Time to sign some transfers. I’m getting nervous waiting to see if Hubert can put together a contender.

I think Lebo is a really strong and very important hire for Hubert. May should be good on the bench as well. The other two don't really move the needle for me, but solid bench overall. The most important thing was someone with some head coaching experience and he got that.

Jackie can teach some of that D we need more of.
Sean can teach rebounding, and how to make a 3 foot shot.
Jeff can teach them dudes how to shoot.
I will wait to see. Last year I thought Kendall could teach pg's how to run the show, Hubert could teach them how to shoot and May could teach bigs how to make a 3 footer. I was wrong.

Solid staff, important that the staff is now in place so we cam move forward finishing out the roster for next season.

I like that the staff is now a good bit younger, it really helps to have guys on the recruiting front line that recruits can easier relate with as well as guys that are young enough to realize and embrace change because the landscape of college sports as a whole is in the midst of dramatic change and that is going to require coaches willing and able to both understand the changes that will have to be made as well as implement those changes effectively.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I will wait to see. Last year I thought Kendall could teach pg's how to run the show, Hubert could teach them how to shoot and May could teach bigs how to make a 3 footer. I was wrong.
It doesn't really work like that, we have not had "position" coaches, Gut was pretty much the last "position" coach we had. Since then, really most of the coaches work on execution of drills, they do work with guys that come to them and request additional 1 on 1 help. During practice coaches follow the script laid out by the head coach, the NCAA does not allow the kind of time they used to so practices have to be scripted and targeted more toward team execution more so than individual position work like you see in football.

Bubs, what you are wanting is individual skill training and most of that comes in the off season, in season time lines are so tight that makes it hard to really work like you want. They are usually either resting, in practice, in game prep, or traveling in season (and trying to keep their grades in line as well). That is one of the main reasons we see such a bump in production for our returning sophs, they have that off season to put in dedicated S/C and individual skill development work that in season the time is not there for. For big time freshmen, the off season between freshman and soph seasons is the first extended stretch of time they have had to work on individual skill work in many years, some since middle school!

That is why I am not nearly as concerned with our shooting for next season as many seem to be, I think we have some guys that can be solid shooters. Love, RJ, and Walton I think can be very good, think my guy folks still do not yet believe in will be as well (Puff). Dunn coming in as a freshman can stroke it as well, and i do think Ant can become much more consistent as a jump shooter, at least be a guy that defenses can't give the clean look to. Keep in mind, our returning players already understand what we are looking to do, not the same learning curve that a transfer has because our returners already have at least a year of UNC experience under their belts. I do prefer transfers have more than 1 season poof eligibility so they can adjust to UNC level basketball and then have an off season to work on being a Tar Heel player rather than just trying to fit in.

I think Lebo is a really strong and very important hire for Hubert. May should be good on the bench as well. The other two don't really move the needle for me, but solid bench overall. The most important thing was someone with some head coaching experience and he got that.

I agree. Defintely the most important hire. Could have been King Rice and would have been just as good. Needed someone with that experience. Glad to have Sean and he will be very important as well especially since he has been on staff a while now. I see no negatives with Brad, Eric and Jackie.

overall, Id say it's a solid staff. given Hubert's intentions to keep it within the family, not sure there were any better fits than what we ended up with

I think about as good as you can hope for keeping it all UNC. I don't buy the whole "this coach will coach shooting, this one will coach big guys." There needs to be a base level of skill in recruiting, then experience and development will naturally show.

It's just not common for dudes who can't shoot a lick coming in to develop into average or good shooters in college. Hell, it doesn't happen that way in the NBA.

Again though, under the circumstances, not a terrible staff on paper.

Reactions: pittsburghheel
Why do you assume that? Most good players that get into coaching are mediocre or even poor. That is true for football and baseball as well as basketball.

Solid staff but I still wish Phil was on it! LOL
I think coaching in that spotlight puts far more pressure on a recovering alcoholic than doing other work for an athletics department. I think it best for Ford to stay away from coaching.

Jobs should not be closed to those who did not play at UNC. Eventually that will backfire big time.

That said, I think what Davis put together with the restriction he imposed can prove a sound staff. Lebo's experience coaching at multiple schools not named UNC can prove indispensable.

Reactions: Heelicious
The biggest question is who are the ace recruiters. I’ve not seen anything in recent years to think HD or Frederick are, so curious to see how May and Lebo do with 5 star type recruits.

The biggest question is who are the ace recruiters. I’ve not seen anything in recent years to think HD or Frederick are, so curious to see how May and Lebo do with 5 star type recruits.
I've heard more than one reference to Big May as a "rising star" and I have a feeling he'll cast quite a presence on the AAU circuits. Personally though, I'm looking more for evaluation of talent/character/family as a package, and ideally among excellent players who will stay more than one season.

Last edited:
So where have you been? Hubert was a key recruiter for Roy. Not too excited about Lebo or Manual. So from an article, not a great writer as he includes Frederick as an alum, he graduated from KU, but oh, well:

The addition of Sean May, Jeff Lebo and Brad Frederick means the top four coaches in the program all will be North Carolina alums for the first time.

May and Frederick are holdovers from the staff of Roy Williams, who retired earlier this month.

Davis also added Jackie Manuel as director of player and team development. Manuel played with the Tar Heels from 2001-05.

"I wanted a staff that went to North Carolina and played at North Carolina," said Davis, who coached under Williams. "I think you have a great opportunity to do this job well if you've experienced it as a player. It's not the only way, of course, but given there are so many former players who are coaching, it's a great way to build my first staff as the head coach."

So where have you been? Hubert was a key recruiter for Roy. Not too excited about Lebo or Manual. So from an article, not a great writer as he includes Frederick as an alum, he graduated from KU, but oh, well:

The addition of Sean May, Jeff Lebo and Brad Frederick means the top four coaches in the program all will be North Carolina alums for the first time.

May and Frederick are holdovers from the staff of Roy Williams, who retired earlier this month.

Davis also added Jackie Manuel as director of player and team development. Manuel played with the Tar Heels from 2001-05.

"I wanted a staff that went to North Carolina and played at North Carolina," said Davis, who coached under Williams. "I think you have a great opportunity to do this job well if you've experienced it as a player. It's not the only way, of course, but given there are so many former players who are coaching, it's a great way to build my first staff as the head coach."
I really like the May and Manual hires. Two favorite heels right there that should relate to the young generation. I’m not sure which players you feel HD brought in, but Steve Robinson was Roy’s right hand in recruiting. Just read some of Sisk’s recent articles with recruits. Dunn, Styles, Nick Smith, etc all said they didn’t really know HD and Roy and Steve were their main recruiters. The sample size just isn’t there to say what type of recruiter HD will be. Frederick is another that never gets mentioned by recruits, so who knows how that will be moving forward.

I would have fired Frederick and hired Phil Ford. Hubert has been close to Phil Ford for 45 years. Phil Ford has a much better personality than Frederick and was responsible for recruiting much of the 1993 UNC title team

BUT......it doesn't automatically mean you can't, either. Let's see what happens.
It would be an interesting topic, maybe for its own thread. In college basketball (or in any other pro or college sport) - who had the best, most successful combination as a player, then as a coach at some level.

No greats come immediately to mind for me in college basketball. For the Heels I guess maybe you could say Larry Brown; George Karl? But neither were top level stars as players.

I can't think of any greats in NFL, NBA, MLB - as both players and managers.

https://www.nba.com/hof-players-turned-coaches-nba-history

"There are only two who have been inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as both an NBA player and an NBA coach — Lenny Wilkens and Tom Heinsohn."

The W-L ratio isn't very impressive by these players-turned-coaches. I would imagine it has something to do with the year-after-year devotion to primarily honing in one's own game, while less successful players get into coaching earlier, and likely stay in coaching longer.

Last edited:
I've heard more than one reference to Big May as a "rising star" and I have a feeling he's cast quite a presence on the AAU circuits. Personally though, I'm looking more for evaluation of talent/character/family as a package, and ideally among excellent players who will stay more than one season.
The only universal thing I’ve heard in the past 2 weeks is that Sean May is going to be an incredible recruiter for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT