ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite book?

dadika13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
NYC
As my boy @TarHeelMark pointed out in the other thread - today is National Book Lovers day. What's your all time favorite book. Mine is generic and basic but to me it's a masterpiece:

41iers%2BHLSL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: TarHeelMark
There were some solid responses in the first book thread, but it took a little too long to get funny. Hopefully we can fix that this time.

Y'all already know this, but Lord of the Rings - and yes, I'm counting the trilogy as one.

Other favorites:
Gatsby, and also This Side of Paradise
Dune
Stardust (Gaiman)
Watership Down
Pebble in the Sky (Asimov)
Cat's Cradle
The Sun Also Rises

I like reading the classics or a good mystery novel, but I'm a sucker for science fiction and fantasy.

I've never been a big book guy. I don't typically like fiction. I read for informational purposes, not entertainment purposes. If I do fiction, I tend to stick to short stories because I know I'll eventually get bored. But with that said, there are a few books that I was forced to read but am grateful that I was. I wouldn't have read them on my own.

The greatest book of all time in my opinion is:
TCOM.jpg

I've never been a big book guy. I don't typically like fiction. I read for informational purposes, not entertainment purposes. If I do fiction, I tend to stick to short stories because I know I'll eventually get bored. But with that said, there are a few books that I was forced to read but am grateful that I was. I wouldn't have read them on my own.

TCOM.jpg
0bc2fbb2-d529-4dfc-8c66-c80ba82ba739_text.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910

TCOM.jpg

TCOM.jpg

I generally read non-fiction as well, but I'm also a big Cyberpunk geek, so my favorite book is probably:

iu

This is like picking your favorite song, or album, or movie... impossible. I generally like biographies more than fiction. But, the best books I ever rad were fiction! Orwell is my favorite author.

I recently read this and it was awesome!

how-to-talk-dirty-lenny-bruce.jpg

This is like picking your favorite song, or album, or movie... impossible. I generally like biographies more than fiction. But, the best books I ever rad were fiction! Orwell is my favorite author.

I recently read this and it was awesome!

how-to-talk-dirty-lenny-bruce.jpg

As crazy as it might sound, I've never read '1984'. I did try to get through 'Atlas Shrugged' one time, but I only made it 2/3 of the way through before I had enough.

I enjoy almost all non-fiction, though I suppose Tolkien and CS Lewis have mixes of fiction and non-fiction.

Favorite authors, books:
Tolkien - Hobbit, LOTR
CS Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia, and his apologetics set: Abolition of Man, Mere Christianity, Screwtape Letters, etc - 6 books

Tolkien and Lewis became great friends, and influencers of each other, in England, at about the time of WW2 I believe. Much of Lewis's conversion from atheism to Christianity was via Tolkien's influence, and via reflection on nature of man during WW2.

David MacCullough - two Pulitzers - for biographies of Truman and John Adams. Great other historical books as well.

Victor Davis Hanson - excellent historian and writer. He has an especially good one recently on many logistical, strategic, factors went into the Allies winning WW2. Economies, leaders, geographics, egos of leaders, etc. It is called the Second World Wars.

I enjoy his books - and also like that he is a prof at Stanford and visiting professor where two of my kids now attend college.

1984 is definitely one of my favorites. Reading the ending always hurts though. Poor Winston.

I grew up reading the Harry Potter series. LOTR was a favorite too.

Some more recent favorites...

God is not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Can’t Hurt Me - David Goggins

Infidel - Ayan Hirsi Ali

1984 is definitely one of my favorites. Reading the ending always hurts though. Poor Winston.

I grew up reading the Harry Potter series. LOTR was a favorite too.

Some more recent favorites...

God is not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Can’t Hurt Me - David Goggins

Infidel - Ayan Hirsi Ali

I would definitely read something Ayan Hirsi Ali wrote. She's a true feminist, not some bored, white housewife.

Like Julez, it's Lord of the Rings but Watership Down is right up there, as is Lord of the Flies.

In recent years, I've been reading mostly biographies/historical books and have enjoyed "Destiny of the Republic," "Over the Edge of the World," "Undaunted Courage" and "Cleopatra: A Life."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT