ADVERTISEMENT

Zak Elliss bowl projections

I hope we get to a bowl. Kentucky would be a tough game for us - they have made some big strides under Mark Stoops.

any bowl would be fantastic considering the first six weeks...however, if i had to choose, i'd rather go to nashville.

what if they win the coastal and lose in the acccg?

Originally posted by gteeitup:
any bowl would be fantastic considering the first six weeks...however, if i had to choose, i'd rather go to nashville.

what if they win the coastal and lose in the acccg?
gteeitup:

I totally agree. I really hope we can get two more wins but I am really tired of going to Charlotte. And I think our fans are too. Last year when we played Cincinnati I don't think the stadium was much more than a third full. I have season tickets to the Titans and the stadium is great. Last year they put in two big screens as wide as the end zones and this offseason they put in a new sound system that's pretty awesome. And it's only 35 miles from my house so I would love that. Plus there is so much entertainment in the city that it's hard to pick what you want to do. Like you I hope that happens.

Wayno

Originally posted by UNCWayno:
I really hope we can get two more wins but I am really tired of going to Charlotte. And I think our fans are too. Last year when we played Cincinnati I don't think the stadium was much more than a third full.
I admit being defensive on this topic, but since roughly 157k of UNC's 287k living alumni (55%) reside in North Carolina, Charlotte is a very convenient destination for a UNC bowl game. Attendance at last year's game was 45,221 in a stadium with a capacity of 73,298 so it was closer to two-thirds full. The somewhat low attendance was probably due to the lack of excitement about a 6-6 team (UNC) playing a team that was returning to the bowl for the second consecutive year (Cincinnati). Getting an ACC-SEC matchup this season should generate more natural excitement.

Originally posted by UNCWayno:
Last year they put in two big screens as wide as the end zones and this offseason they put in a new sound system that's pretty awesome. And it's only 35 miles from my house so I would love that. Plus there is so much entertainment in the city that it's hard to pick what you want to do.
Bank of America Stadium got upgrades last summer that include 5' ribbon boards around the entire bowl, two 63' x 212' HD LED video boards (compare to TN's 54' x 157' boards), and a new sound system. And it's only 11 miles from my house.
wink.r191677.gif

That's not to say I would mind another game in Nashville. My brother and his family live there so I always enjoy visiting. One thing I enjoy about both towns is that the stadiums are within easy walking distance of some really great spots for pre- and post-game festivities.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
UNCWayno, were you at the Music City Bowl versus Tennessee? That was a wild one huh? LP Field is cool and I love Nashville
Nope, I wasn't there. I had a friend in Louisville getting married at that time but I stuck pretty close to the television. I also knew what kind of fans UT would have there and I knew there was the potential for it to get ugly. I can't stand their fans and knew that I probably shouldn't go because some kind of altercation would take place if they messed with me. But I loved the outcome and all the boohoo tears from the rocky flops.

I guess the bowl game offers the opportunity for more practice and to improve what we have but honestly, does anyone think we should be going to a bowl? I mean, had we beaten moo, then yeah, I'd be ok with it. Hell, had we even lost a tough game, I'd be ok. But to get shellacked like we did was an embarrassment and not in keeping with what a bowl team should look like.

With that said, the Belk Bowl should be the only one considering us. The idea is to get people out to the game and make money. I don't think we could get many of our fans to go anywhere other than in our backyard.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
I guess the bowl game offers the opportunity for more practice and to improve what we have but honestly, does anyone think we should be going to a bowl? I mean, had we beaten moo, then yeah, I'd be ok with it. Hell, had we even lost a tough game, I'd be ok. But to get shellacked like we did was an embarrassment and not in keeping with what a bowl team should look like.

With that said, the Belk Bowl should be the only one considering us. The idea is to get people out to the game and make money. I don't think we could get many of our fans to go anywhere other than in our backyard.
No we don't deserve it but the rules are the rules, and we're eligible. The "we should turn down a bowl because we don't deserve it" logic has never made any sense to me. This team desperately needs the two extra weeks of practice, preferably with a new DC

Originally posted by uncboy10:
Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

No we don't deserve it but the rules are the rules, and we're eligible. The "we should turn down a bowl because we don't deserve it" logic has never made any sense to me. This team desperately needs the two extra weeks of practice, preferably with a new DC
Did the extra two weeks of practice we got last December help us this year? If it helped our defense, I would have hated to see them without it. Maybe if we have a new DC, but I don't see that happening.

Originally posted by BalboaUNC:
Talk about job security, how bad does this defense have to be before someone is fired?
Changing the DC & staff in the middle of the season - or even now - doesn't make any sense.

However, the Heels are currently 119th (out of 124 teams) in both yards allowed per game, and points allowed per game, so something needs to happen during the off-season or the dwindling fan support and interest in UNC football is only going to get worse.

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:

Talk about job security, how bad does this defense have to be before someone is fired?

Changing the DC & staff in the middle of the season - or even now - doesn't make any sense.

However, the Heels are currently 119th (out of 124 teams) in both yards allowed per game, and points allowed per game, so something needs to happen during the off-season or the dwindling fan support and interest in UNC football is only going to get worse.
flush.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:

How does making a change now not make sense? We have nothing to lose in a meaningless bowl game, might as well start working with the new DC as soon as possible. Assuming there is one. If there isn't I will lose a significant amount of confidence in Larry Fedora and Bubba Cunningham

Allowing 6-6 teams to go to a bowl is a travesty in every level. No team deserves a bowl game for mediocrity.

Originally posted by strummingram:
Allowing 6-6 teams to go to a bowl is a travesty in every level. No team deserves a bowl game for mediocrity.
more bowls = more money. its that simple.

it's not like they have any real significance so what difference does it make? These guy like playing football, and I like pulling for them and watching. Win win

it's not like they have any real significance so what difference does it make? These guy like playing football, and I like pulling for them and watching. Win win
Don't teams that are 2-10 also like playing football and don't their fans like watching them play? Why aren't those teams going to a bowl?

Agreed, and I've felt that way since long before UNC went 6-6 the last two regular seasons. Even 6-5 regular season finishes during the days of 11-game slates made me crinkle my nose.

As far as the money argument goes, let's be clear about where that money is going. It's going to the bowl hosts. It has been well-documented that teams traveling to lower-tier bowls typically lose money, often gobs of it. It would be great to see a 6-6 team turn down an invite for a crummy bowl. But coaches want the practice time and visibility, players want the reward for their hard work, and fans want one more opportunity to see their team play. So we're basically between a rock and a hard place.

There should be about 12 bowls, 15 at the absolute maximum. That means you were one of the best 25-30 teams in the country. That's worth giving a bowl game to.

Rose
Orange
Sugar
Fiesta
Cotton
Peach
Gator
Citrus
Sun
Holiday
Independence
Liberty

That's about it.

I think it has been reported that most teams lose money on bowls. I don't see UNC making any money on the bowl go to this year. It is not just the 6-6 teams being rewarded for mediocrity. Look at State and Duke. Neither played an OOC opponent worthy of mentioning. Shouldn't be rewarded for COWARDS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT