ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson is a beast..

After a little lookie-see, I am in agreement with a few of y'all.
Zion is a player and if I had to guess, I'd say the Heels are positioned well.

Reactions: smooth as butter
Zion has some serious shoulders on him, looks like he could lift a house! Kind of amazing, you see him there is just no way he elevates like he does, the kid can get up off the court and quicker than you can believe. It blows me away, a kid like him that can so easily flush anytime and 6'9-10" kids that can barely dunk with a couple steps?

For those that are saying we are in good shape with him , is that based on something he , his coach or his parents have said? Is there a UNC connection? I personally haven't heard anything so I am just wondering.

The consensus #1 player in the state of South Carolina in 2018, Williamson is a vicious dunker who holds 17 scholarship offers and will have his choice of schools when the time comes. However, he grew up a fan of the Blue Devils, one reason why Duke leads his @#$Sports $%#@!& Ball with a majority of picks.

For those that are saying we are in good shape with him , is that based on something he , his coach or his parents have said? Is there a UNC connection? I personally haven't heard anything so I am just wondering.

The consensus #1 player in the state of South Carolina in 2018, Williamson is a vicious dunker who holds 17 scholarship offers and will have his choice of schools when the time comes. However, he grew up a fan of the Blue Devils, one reason why Duke leads his @#$Sports $%#@!& Ball with a majority of picks.

If kids went to the programs they grew up fans of Jordan would have been a wuffie and DT would have been a Tar Heel. Bam had UNC players posters on his bed room wall growing up, not Ky posters. Point being, growing up a fan of a program does help what matters more is how they fit in to a particular program, style of play and talent mix.

No offense to those that follow recruiting sites, they are not awful, but there is a lot of follow the leader going on with these expert picks. Duke & Ky offer a kid now days and all the sudden those experts line up to pick one of the 2 as leading while the other is 2nd. And make no mistake, the way things are right now duke and Ky do not even have to offer before experts line up to crystal ball them for a kid. I kinda look at those sites as one more tool in the bag when I am looking at recruiting more so than the only tool in the bag.

Like mentioned, there's no indication of a lean to UNC, but we're in as good of a position as any.

He listed us as the 4 schools recruiting him the hardest a few days ago. Dook was not on that list.

Hamilton is still our best bet at the moment for a SF, and if he commits first, we're looking sharp for 2018.

Hamilton has been sitting on that offer for a while now...may turn into a Dotson situation!!

You also have to keep in mind he is still a junior. Not gonna see Coby White commitments too often.

But if Williamson wanted to commit before Hamilton does, you def. won't hear any complaints from me.

EDIT: He doesn't have a lot of high profile offers outside of us, so maybe he just wants some exposure before pulling the trigger. Doesn't hurt either way.

Like mentioned, there's no indication of a lean to UNC, but we're in as good of a position as any.

He listed us as the 4 schools recruiting him the hardest a few days ago. Dook was not on that list.

Hamilton is still our best bet at the moment for a SF, and if he commits first, we're looking sharp for 2018.
You also have to keep in mind he is still a junior. Not gonna see Coby White commitments too often.

But if Williamson wanted to commit before Hamilton does, you def. won't hear any complaints from me.

EDIT: He doesn't have a lot of high profile offers outside of us, so maybe he just wants some exposure before pulling the trigger. Doesn't hurt either way.

Me, I will be happy with either one, personally I like Zion more because I see him as Larry "Gran-mama" Johnson part 2 but Hamilton is a fine talent as well. I can not give you a link or anything official like to point to but based on the whispers I hear, as I have said, I will take where we are with Zion over where any other program stands for him and that includes duke.

Why not try and get both?

In addition, there is merit to the idea that just because a player grows up liking a certain team doesn't mean they'll go there. Bobby Hurley was a huge Heel fan before he went to duke. Go figure.

If kids went to the programs they grew up fans of Jordan would have been a wuffie and DT would have been a Tar Heel. Bam had UNC players posters on his bed room wall growing up, not Ky posters. Point being, growing up a fan of a program does help what matters more is how they fit in to a particular program, style of play and talent mix.

No offense to those that follow recruiting sites, they are not awful, but there is a lot of follow the leader going on with these expert picks. Duke & Ky offer a kid now days and all the sudden those experts line up to pick one of the 2 as leading while the other is 2nd. And make no mistake, the way things are right now duke and Ky do not even have to offer before experts line up to crystal ball them for a kid. I kinda look at those sites as one more tool in the bag when I am looking at recruiting more so than the only tool in the bag.
My question was what makes the people that have said we are in good shape with him say that? The only thing he has said is we are one of the 4 recruiting him the hardest and that doesn't necessarily translate to anything. I have heard more than one player say we were recruiting him the hardest that we didn't get anywhere with. I also don't put a lot of stock in predictions this early especially after his recent break out.
Why not try and get both?

In addition, there is merit to the idea that just because a player grows up liking a certain team doesn't mean they'll go there. Bobby Hurley was a huge Heel fan before he went to duke. Go figure.

Bobby Hurley was ready to commit to UNC but Dean wanted and held out for Kenny Anderson.
David Thompson was more of a Charles Scott fan than a UNC fan and that NCSU paving machine that did his mom's driveway didn't hurt.
Jordan was more of a David Thompson fan than a moo fan and he said his 2nd choice was UVa.
You know as well as I do Bam was all about handlers.

My question was what makes the people that have said we are in good shape with him say that? The only thing he has said is we are one of the 4 recruiting him the hardest and that doesn't necessarily translate to anything. I have heard more than one player say we were recruiting him the hardest that we didn't get anywhere with. I also don't put a lot of stock in predictions this early especially after his recent break out.

Bobby Hurley was ready to commit to UNC but Dean wanted and held out for Kenny Anderson.
David Thompson was more of a Charles Scott fan than a UNC fan and that NCSU paving machine that did his mom's driveway didn't hurt.
Jordan was more of a David Thompson fan than a moo fan and he said his 2nd choice was UVa.
You know as well as I do Bam was all about handlers.

First on Zion, anything anyone says at this point, be it an expert or be in a poster, has to be taken with a grain of salt. It is way early and a lot of time for things to shape and then re-shape a few times. Official statements kids will learn to play the game of recruiting but will talk a bit when reporters are not around, so school mates, other players and coaches hear things and know the kid. Many times things you see here where folks talk about sources and connections is good stuff, maybe not all but a lot of it is better than many realize. But there are just so many twists and turns when you are dealing with a 17yr old kid that what was accurate yesterday may be a mile off today.

You enjoy following recruiting sites and nothing wrong with that, you can get some good information from those. Gary on the other hand relies on his AAU connections and nothing wrong with that either. I take in info from what ever means I can and try to fit it all together to see a pattern that allows me to frame my opinions. But in the end all we have is opinions, some better and some worse than others and in my experience that is pretty much the same most of these experts that are paid to crystal ball where a kid will end up, opinions based on opinions.

Me, I will be happy with either one, personally I like Zion more because I see him as Larry "Gran-mama" Johnson part 2 but Hamilton is a fine talent as well. I can not give you a link or anything official like to point to but based on the whispers I hear, as I have said, I will take where we are with Zion over where any other program stands for him and that includes duke.
Larry Johnson/Justise Winslow type of combo forward. From what I have seen that I like about him other than his amazing physical maturity is he doesn't take bad shots. He plays well within the flow of the game. I could see him being a close to double double guy without running any offense thru him. Kid just has a great feel for the game. Which I feel gets overlooked some because he is so physically impressive.

Reactions: DSouthr
Don't know if true, but I've heard the same thing more than once. And instead Hurley went to dook and led them to two titles. Anderson went to GT and we got stuck with Kenny Harris who ended up transferring to VCU. And that is, as they say, how the cookie crumbles.

Not only is it true that Hurley ended up at duke but ya know who suggested Hurley talk to a new coach at that rival program? Yep, it was Dean Smith, Dean felt the kid deserved a chance and set it up. And all Hurley did was haunt us for 4 straight years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT