ADVERTISEMENT

2015: What The THI Staff Thinks

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
https://northcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1796995

The season is just about here, and after an offseason of many significant changes, a spring that included some real surprises, and a fall camp that has narrowed some of the focus, the THI staff is ready to reveal how we see the 2015 football season unfolding.

John Gwaltney

My 3 Keys: A) Marquise Williams staying healthy and protecting the ball; B) Defense makes the improvement needed to get into the top half of defenses in D-I; C) Special teams returns to the 2013 version that scared teams and made plays

My take: The Tar Heels open the season with a big opponent in South Carolina and can gain some big momentum with a win right out of the gate. A win would also give them a good chance of entering the October 3 ACC opener at Georgia Tech with a 4-0 record. If Carolina can defend the Tar Pit and steal a road win or two this could be a special season in Chapel Hill. Predicted Record: 8-4

Deana King

My 3 Keys: A)It is nice to have depth at positions but UNC needs to establish the man at QB and RB. The Tar Heels have a lot of talent there at those positions. I look for Williams and Hood to be those guys; B) Can the defense improve from last year? By adding Coach Gene Chizak is a start, but the Tar Heel defense must play better in order for the team to be successful; C) Who will step up and be the leaders of this team? I feel Williams may be one of them.

My Take: I feel this could be a great year for UNC football. I expect them to do well with the offensive experience they have. Predicted Record: 9-3

Matt Hatfield

My 3 Keys: A) Make a dramatic jump defending the run - where they ranked 117th nationally a season ago - in a conference full of talented underclassmen carrying the football; B) Show progress in the kicking game, which plagued the Tar Heels in 2014; C) Get consistent production out of the RB's to complement the dual-threat skills of QB Marquise Williams.

My Take: Offensively, the Tar Heels have the makings to be quite dynamic with Williams back, a host of receivers and an offensive line that should be one of the best units in the ACC. Furthermore, Ryan Switzer is a potential game-changer in the return game. The main concern is on defense, where it remains to be seen how much former Auburn Head Coach Gene Chizik can get things turned around on that side of the ball. To me, their two biggest games are at Pittsburgh (Oct. 29) and vs. Miami (Nov. 14), two teams they figure to be battling with in the Coastal Division Standings. At worst, they should be looking at 5-2 heading into that pivotal, season-defining stretch. Predicted Record: 7-5

Amo Weld

My 3 Keys: A) Limit big plays on defense through an improved and more experienced secondary; B) T.J. Logan or Elijah Hood emerge as a No. 1 back; C) Marquise Williams ends his UNC career with better consistency week-to-week.

My take: Two of UNC's biggest weaknesses in 2014 were surrendering huge gains on obvious passing downs and an inability to find homerun hitters on the offensive side of the ball. That should change in 2015 with 17 starters returning. If the Tar Heels can pull off an upset against Georgia Tech and finish strong, they will contend for the Coastal title. Predicted Record: 8-4

Bruce Young

My 3 Keys: A) The Defense MUST improve for this version of the Tar Heels to have a shot at a great season. New Defensive Coordinator Gene Chizik has the pedigree to make it happen; do the Tar Heels have the players on the roster to get it done. Early indications from Spring Practice to the start of training camp indicate that they do; B) Special Teams - Place Kicking, in particular, have to be much more consistent than a year ago. For this team to reach their goals, someone has to step forward and solidify this area. To win close games, Coach Fedora has to have faith in his kicker; C) Carolina's Offensive Line - We know this team can score points; a lot of points. If Marquise Williams and the stable of offensive weapons he has, can be protected, the sky's the limit with this team. If the O line can stay healthy and gain continuity throughout the year, it will be fun to watch and a nightmare for opposing defenses.

My Take: I really believe this team will have a fantastic season. With this schedule in front of them, there is absolutely no reason the Heels cannot have success. The opening game against South Carolina will set the tone for the entire season and could be a spring board for helping to convince several high profile recruits to move the Heels higher on their wish list. Predicted Record: 9-3

Andrew Jones

My 3 Keys: A) The defense needs to force at least two more punts a game than it did last season while also generate at least 8 more takeaways on the season; B) This goes with A but stopping the run on first downs, forcing teams into 2nd-and-longs can set the tone for series; C) UNC must run the ball conventionally and consistently. If someone other than Marquise Williams leads the team in rushing and it's not be cause of an injury to MW that's a very good sign.

My Take: This season can go in several directions. There are too many IFs for anyone to seriously consider an ACC title, but a shot at 10 wins is realistic if the basics are improved quite a bit from a year ago, and fans should expect that. There's too much talent and experience for the O not to be improved and the D should be as well. If the Heels could swap the home and road conference games the record might be even better. Predicted Record: 8-4.

Reactions: gteeitup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News