ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

The UVA fans are feeling very confident about this one. But, who knows? It does concern me that Rice is announcing on the UVA OL coach's birthday today. He has talked extensively about his relationship with that dude and has never even mentioned Searles. We will see.
Yep. I posted it because I thought it was odd that he's still getting picks to come here even though it's pretty obvious he isn't. That last interview he did, he talked about the current state of the OL and I knew we were toast. His mom has a strong relationship with Grimes' dad, but it came down to the relationship with the OL coach, and that goes to UVA. Think he likes the idea of being the in state kid staying home and trying to build something over there.

Reactions: matt 1976
Read and heard a lot about them mention family environment quite a bit!!! And how they even mentioned about they have a person on staff devoted to helping the players that are capable to make the NFL prepare and get their name to the right people!!!!

GDTBATH

It is, I'm just shocked he chose this date, UVA'S OL coaches' birthday to do this. Gotta give Tony Grimes' dad a lot of credit on this one. Sure hope we do right by this kid as he seems to be fantastic, on and off the field.
I'd say that to do right by him is to give him a better OL coach than UNC currently has.

I honestly have no clue how Mack continues to pull off the recruiting wins but I'm happy it's still happening.

Really need to go get a few more OL recruits, and if possible, a grad transfer or two for that unit. Imagine how bad things would be right now if we didn't have one of, if not the very best QB in college football... Need to give Drake a chance to develop without getting killed.

Ideal situation would probably mean using next year as a transition year. New QB, new coordinators, and a third year of really good recruits coming in. The year after next, the new systems would be in place, we would have an experienced QB, and a bunch of 4 and 5 star upperclassmen on the roster.

If this recruiting success continues, by the time Mack has a full roster of his guys, this will be one of top 10 most talent loaded programs in all of college football. He needs to go get the coordinators and position coaches who can make the most of it.

Rice seems to like Searels. Mack is almost certain to use that as proof that Searels is ideal.
Don't believe that to be true at all as he never mentions Searels in his interviews. Think it was more about playing with his friends, him/his mom are great friends with Tony Grimes and his dad. He mentioned it's a family atmosphere at UNC. I think the atmosphere/players and the opportunity to play early were the main factors.

Don't believe that to be true at all as he never mentions Searels in his interviews. Think it was more about playing with his friends, him/his mom are great friends with Tony Grimes and his dad. He mentioned it's a family atmosphere at UNC. I think the atmosphere/players and the opportunity to play early were the main factors.
I read one interview where he mentioned Searles, but like you said it doesn't seem high on his list. I've seen comments he's made about Bly more than Searles. Seems like Bly is all over the VA kids no matter the position. He might not be the greatest CB coach, but he's bringing in enough talent to justify giving him some leeway.

I read one interview where he mentioned Searles, but like you said it doesn't seem high on his list. I've seen comments he's made about Bly more than Searles. Seems like Bly is all over the VA kids no matter the position. He might not be the greatest CB coach, but he's bringing in enough talent to justify giving him some leeway.
Might have missed one but he def didn't mention it on his last interview. I thought we were dead in the water after hearing it but I think it was more of him not wanting to leak a favorite as he told everyone he didn't want any crystal balls for him. Yes, Bly is handling the recruiting on all the VA kids and rightfully so. You want a guy that is from the area and actually played for the school and then went on to win Super Bowls, Pro Bowls etc. So he can walk the walk and talk the talk to those kids. I think you'll see the DB's improve once we can get some of the younger guys on the field like Allen, Balfour, Holloway, Nash, Boykins, RaRa etc. The Morrison, Biggers, Chapman, Mcmichael era has run its course.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Or to just get him on the depth chart and get him some game experience.
We could say the same of a number of OL guys who are not playing now. None are 5* recruits, but they are sitting, all the time, while 3 year starters keep making 'freshman' mistakes.

One of the charges against Searels made by both VT and Miami fans is that he very quickly has favorites, and those favorites are going to play, regardless. Rice is such a big name recruit that he is certain to be a Searels favorite. That will get him PT, probably starting PT from the season opener. But will he get PT on a well coached OL unit that gets the job done?

Mack seems to think that recruiting cures all ills. Mack would be retiring at Texas in a couple of years if that were true.

Every time that Rice talks, he mentions HOF Coach Mack Brown and how genuine he is. If we make a change with Searles, I feel that the Rice family will put their faith in Mack to hire the best guy available.

On a side note, I think that we became the heavy favorite for Greene overnight and that we are a slight lean for Covil.

Every time that Rice talks, he mentions HOF Coach Mack Brown and how genuine he is. If we make a change with Searles, I feel that the Rice family will put their faith in Mack to hire the best guy available.

On a side note, I think that we became the heavy favorite for Greene overnight and that we are a slight lean for Covil.
I hope you are right. Is this hunch based or other data?

Agreed on Greene. The recruits are doing a good job trying to get him to come here. Would love Covil, too.

I think you'll see the DB's improve once we can get some of the younger guys on the field like Allen, Balfour, Holloway, Nash, Boykins, RaRa etc. The Morrison, Biggers, Chapman, Mcmichael era has run its course.

I don't think ability / talent of the players in the secondary is the prob.

Can someone explain to me why we continue to take small classes? In today's world of the portal, it's more important than ever to take a full class.

Can someone explain to me why we continue to take small classes? In today's world of the portal, it's more important than ever to take a full class.
Took 25 in 2019, 24 in 2020 and 21 in 2021 which includes Chandler. We're at 15 for 2022, have a shot at another one in 3 hours. Keep hearing they'll flip a few guys before signing day, we'll see. I also think Mack dips into the portal for a handful of guys for next year, WR's, OL and maybe a DB.

BOOM! Just poached a 6'3 ELITE WR from VA. Chose us over UGA and Clemson.
Again, Mack can stay. One day this team will be deep with 4 stars. That's step 1, let's hope development (step 2) happens along the way with a step 3 coaching change at a few positions.

It would be ideal if at least one of the OL recruits aside from Rice overachieved. One is 6'5" 290 and the other is 6'7" 350. It would be nice to find an OL coach who can develop those guys to make use of their size. The OL pretty much needs a total overhaul at this point.

If Greene is ready to compete early, and Beau gets granted a 6th year (and doesn't get hurt again), then the WR group could be really solid. Downs, Beau, Greene, Simmons, plus JJ Jones. That's a lot of threats to make Drake's life easier, in addition to the talent at RB.

These classes have been ridiculous, especially considering the results on the field right now. When was the last time UNC football had multiple 5 star recruits and a bunch of high 4 stars too? Mack really needs to go all in on bringing in the best coordinators that he can possibly get. Because there's going to be a ton of talent here over the next three years.

It would be ideal if at least one of the OL recruits aside from Rice overachieved. One is 6'5" 290 and the other is 6'7" 350. It would be nice to find an OL coach who can develop those guys to make use of their size. The OL pretty much needs a total overhaul at this point.

If Greene is ready to compete early, and Beau gets granted a 6th year (and doesn't get hurt again), then the WR group could be really solid. Downs, Beau, Greene, Simmons, plus JJ Jones. That's a lot of threats to make Drake's life easier, in addition to the talent at RB.

These classes have been ridiculous, especially considering the results on the field right now. When was the last time UNC football had multiple 5 star recruits and a bunch of high 4 stars too? Mack really needs to go all in on bringing in the best coordinators that he can possibly get. Because there's going to be a ton of talent here over the next three years.
The other 2 guys on the OL won't see the field for at least 2 years, if they can get developed properly. The guys I'm hoping make a jump on the OL are Sutton, Pounds and Baker.

Simmons transferred. We've got a deep WR core next year of Downs, Andre Greene, Antoine Green, Beau ( waiver pending), Jones, Olson, Paysour, Chapman and Blackwell. Olson balled out in High School while playing against elite competition. He struggled early on in the season but he's had some really nice plays while showing his ability to get past CB on the deep ball. Nesbit is going to get a lot of work at TE, and I can't wait to see it. Also can't wait to see who starts at RB, sure hope Hampton, Pett and Edmonds get a shot early to see what they can do.

Sounds like a broken record but you can't help but be excited for 2022 with the opportunity that some of these guys will have now that we've graduated a few more of Fedora's guys.

It takes about 4 years for recruited talent to work its way in the two deep and to really turn over a roster. We might get lucky and have Drake or Criswall ball out like Sam freshman year. But the year after next should be a breakthrough year for Mack's classes. That's assuming the OL comes together which is a big IF at this point. Then one more class like these last three would put us in 50% blue chip territory which is insane.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
The Myles Murphy, Des Evans, Ja Conley, and Grimes class will be in their true junior yr next yr. They need to anchor the D.

Those guys were national recruits, the type were excited about every recruiting cycle.

KBJ is still around, Cedric Gray and Kaimon have been productive.

The other 2 guys on the OL won't see the field for at least 2 years, if they can get developed properly. The guys I'm hoping make a jump on the OL are Sutton, Pounds and Baker.

Simmons transferred. We've got a deep WR core next year of Downs, Andre Greene, Antoine Green, Beau ( waiver pending), Jones, Olson, Paysour, Chapman and Blackwell. Olson balled out in High School while playing against elite competition. He struggled early on in the season but he's had some really nice plays while showing his ability to get past CB on the deep ball. Nesbit is going to get a lot of work at TE, and I can't wait to see it. Also can't wait to see who starts at RB, sure hope Hampton, Pett and Edmonds get a shot early to see what they can do.

Sounds like a broken record but you can't help but be excited for 2022 with the opportunity that some of these guys will have now that we've graduated a few more of Fedora's guys.

Forgot about Simmons. And the WR depth should be crazy, but we can’t count on high level development until we see it happen. There should be more depth this year at WR but a lot of guys haven’t panned out yet.

I figure that those OL guys need 2-3 years but if at least one of them becomes a starter then that’s a win.

I expect growing pains next year. Even if Drake is as talented as advertised and develops faster than expected, there will be a ton of young guys playing significant minutes. That’s why player development is so crucial now.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
The Myles Murphy, Des Evans, Ja Conley, and Grimes class will be in their true junior yr next yr. They need to anchor the D.

Those guys were national recruits, the type were excited about every recruiting cycle.

KBJ is still around, Cedric Gray and Kaimon have been productive.

Defense is going to be nasty. We need a Shaw type about every year though to run Bateman's stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT