Oct. 15 – @ Duke
Oct. 22 – OPEN
Oct. 29 – Pittsburgh
Nov. 5 – @ Virginia
Nov. 12 – @ Wake Forest
Nov. 19 – Georgia Tech
Nov. 25 (Fri.) – N.C. State

Reactions: Archer2
Very manageable schedule. I expect our defense to be a little better, even though Gene won’t have had much time to install his system. Both excited and worried about breaking in a new QB though. I won‘t even venture a guess as to our record. Too many uncertainties.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Very manageable schedule. I expect our defense to be a little better, even though Gene won’t have had much time to install his system. Both excited and worried about breaking in a new QB though. I won‘t even venture a guess as to our record. Too many uncertainties.
Disagree about it being manageable. We could easily be 2-2 going into October. Going to Miami, WF and UVA are tough games for us. Our D will need to be significantly improved to take the pressure off of Maye. I'm guessing somewhere between 5-7 wins, which means Mack will probably step down.

Disagree about it being manageable. We could easily be 2-2 going into October. Going to Miami, WF and UVA are tough games for us. Our D will need to be significantly improved to take the pressure off of Maye. I'm guessing somewhere between 5-7 wins, which means Mack will probably step down.
Yep. 7 wins would be generous.

Gene Chizik better have some Griffyndor-level magic.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yep. 7 wins would be generous.

Gene Chizik better have some Griffyndor-level magic.
He made a pretty big turn around last time and he did it with far less talent. The question is, will Mack let him get in the players face and challenge them? That's what I think is needed to make a difference. The biggest issue will still be there and that's OL coaching. Unless Maye is the second coming of Howell, it's hard for me to see anything better than last year.

I think the loss of Sam Howell is going to be huge. I'm sure Drake Maye is a good quarterback. But, I don't think he's going to be anywhere near as good as Sam Howell.

• Wow
Reactions: PEPSIFANCY
Maye is going to be terrific, more upside than Sam, IMO. Think he will survey the field better than Sam but obviously won't be as big a factor in the run game. Every other position will be better, IMO. Gene and Warren are very good at what they do and we can finally start playing Mack's guys on D. Can't wait.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Searles and a new starting QB worry me a great deal.

Maybe it was the players and not the coaching? We'll find out.
A good OL coach would have replaced those players. The unit always was inconsistent at best. If a guy shows he's inconsistent across an entire season, you are nuts to start him for 2 more years while he remains inconsistent and the OL unit fails to gel. If you give another guy a full season, he might actually develop from starting in ways he cannot develop while sitting the bench.

A good OL coach would have replaced those players. The unit always was inconsistent at best. If a guy shows he's inconsistent across an entire season, you are nuts to start him for 2 more years while he remains inconsistent and the OL unit fails to gel. If you give another guy a full season, he might actually develop from starting in ways he cannot develop while sitting the bench.
They didn't have a 5 star kid last year, this year they do. You rarely see true frosh/soph's start at P5 schools but I think Rice starts day 1 in addition to former 4 star, Sutton, getting a shot to earn a spot. What's nuts is the cupboard of OL that was given to Mack when he arrived, which isn't on the current OL coach or head coach. If you've noticed, UNC basically pushed out multiple OL after the season. A lot of new blood on the OL this year, we'll see what happens.

Reactions: HeelFan58
Wake will never live up to their hype , UVa will be terrible , half the team transferred. VT will be terrible(see UVa) and State is way over hyped. 9 wins for the Heels.

Wake will never live up to their hype , UVa will be terrible , half the team transferred. VT will be terrible(see UVa) and State is way over hyped. 9 wins for the Heels.
Love the optimism. Maye is very, very good. Can't compare him to 3rd year Sam Howell, though. I think we'll be fine, though not winning the Coastal.

Three winnable games and a BYE week to start the year is exactly what you want with a new QB and new DC. At the very least it gives us a chance to get things rolling before hosting ND and getting into conference play.

That said, going to Boone after beating up on FL A&M is the trap game of all trap games. Lose that one, and we are likely 2-2 going into ACC play. Then it's just a matter of time until the wheels come off.

I think we either start 4-2 or 2-4. Loss to ND and split Miami/VT. Or lose to App and then ND, VT, and Miami.

Three winnable games and a BYE week to start the year is exactly what you want with a new QB and new DC. At the very least it gives us a chance to get things rolling before hosting ND and getting into conference play.

That said, going to Boone after beating up on FL A&M is the trap game of all trap games. Lose that one, and we are likely 2-2 going into ACC play. Then it's just a matter of time until the wheels come off.

I think we either start 4-2 or 2-4. Loss to ND and split Miami/VT. Or lose to App and then ND, VT, and Miami.
7-5 or 6-6?

• Wow
Reactions: PEPSIFANCY
We're much more likely to lose nine than to win nine. Not sure why people just expect Maye to be great in his first year. Most QBs take a year or two. And unless I missed the news that Searles was replaced, our OL will still be bad.

Reactions: strummingram
7-5 or 6-6?

6-7 wins sounds about right to me. If they beat all of the teams that they probably should beat, then 8 wins could become the stretch number. But this thing could easily tailspin. If we don't beat App in Boone then my money is on 2-4 to start. Probably still beat dook, but could easily turn around and lose again at Pitt. Continue our run of crapping the bed @UVA. Choke against Wake. Lose the annual head scratcher against GT and jump across another onside kick to lose to the wusspeckers. None of these are particularly hard to fathom.

The x-factor here is Chizik's (possible? probable?) turnaround of the defense. We know what the recruiting has been like on that side of the ball, and we know what Chizik did with much less talent. If he's as good as we all want him to be, then maybe he pulls the miracle and the defense becomes a seriously tough unit that can keep us in games while Drake is busy running for his life. Operative word here is 'maybe.'

Crazy thing is, the OL is likely to be so bad that it will eliminate the possibility of the defense making a huge turnaround. If a team can't run the ball and you're playing an inexperienced QB who is constantly under pressure, the defense is likely to end up spending a lot of time out on the field. I don't care how much talent you have, that's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
6-7 wins sounds about right to me. If they beat all of the teams that they probably should beat, then 8 wins could become the stretch number. But this thing could easily tailspin. If we don't beat App in Boone then my money is on 2-4 to start. Probably still beat dook, but could easily turn around and lose again at Pitt. Continue our run of crapping the bed @UVA. Choke against Wake. Lose the annual head scratcher against GT and jump across another onside kick to lose to the wusspeckers. None of these are particularly hard to fathom.

The x-factor here is Chizik's (possible? probable?) turnaround of the defense. We know what the recruiting has been like on that side of the ball, and we know what Chizik did with much less talent. If he's as good as we all want him to be, then maybe he pulls the miracle and the defense becomes a seriously tough unit that can keep us in games while Drake is busy running for his life. Operative word here is 'maybe.'

Crazy thing is, the OL is likely to be so bad that it will eliminate the possibility of the defense making a huge turnaround. If a team can't run the ball and you're playing an inexperienced QB who is constantly under pressure, the defense is likely to end up spending a lot of time out on the field. I don't care how much talent you have, that's a recipe for disaster.
App is losing a ton from 2021, but they'll still be pumped up to play. The Pitt game is in CH. I have a lot of faith in both Chizik and Warren but even more faith in the players that will be playing this year. A ton of players exited the program either via graduation or being pushed out, both on D and on the OL, paving way for guys like Rice, Sutton, Shaw, Silver, Ritzie, Power, RaRa, Stephens, Boykins etc to get on the field.

I agree that everything adds up to - UNC should should win the Coastal, with 9 or 10 Ws. But unless Chizik can work some nice magic, we might struggle to finish 7-5.

App is losing a ton from 2021, but they'll still be pumped up to play. The Pitt game is in CH. I have a lot of faith in both Chizik and Warren but even more faith in the players that will be playing this year. A ton of players exited the program either via graduation or being pushed out, both on D and on the OL, paving way for guys like Rice, Sutton, Shaw, Silver, Ritzie, Power, RaRa, Stephens, Boykins etc to get on the field.

Those dudes that Mack has brought in on D the last few years are about the only reason for optimism I can see right now and I’m typically one of the most optimistic fans on the board. I do think it’s possible that the defense could end up being pretty good next year but I’m gonna resist getting my hopes up.

If we had gotten a new OL coach I’d be feeling a lot more positive about this coming year.

We'll know after game one how good the O is going to be. We should dominate that FAMU DL. But if we look more like we did against GAstate and allow pressure in the second half, then it is going to be a looooong yr.

Defensively, any huge difference is going to have to start up front. Interior DL could be pretty good. Unless Ritzie is an end, like an SSDE, then i'm not super excited about our defensive ends though - Noah Taylor, Des Evans, Chris Conley, Kaimon Rucker - meh.

Hard to get excited with Des Evans, Silver, KBJ when they did so little last yr. Maybe they'll all be this yr's Cedric Gray though.

Saw a good break down recently showing how Chizik's D did a great job of forcing bad passer ratings, but was not great at "havoc" - sacks, tfl, turnovers. We'll see.

Those dudes that Mack has brought in on D the last few years are about the only reason for optimism I can see right now and I’m typically one of the most optimistic fans on the board. I do think it’s possible that the defense could end up being pretty good next year but I’m gonna resist getting my hopes up.

If we had gotten a new OL coach I’d be feeling a lot more positive about this coming year.
Those guys on D mixed in with the three 4 star running backs, Nesbit, the new WR, Greene and a massive 5 star get, Rice at LT/RT. I'm not louting the OL coach as a genius but getting some new blood on the OL leaves reason for optimism.

We'll know after game one how good the O is going to be. We should dominate that FAMU DL. But if we look more like we did against GAstate and allow pressure in the second half, then it is going to be a looooong yr.

Defensively, any huge difference is going to have to start up front. Interior DL could be pretty good. Unless Ritzie is an end, like an SSDE, then i'm not super excited about our defensive ends though - Noah Taylor, Des Evans, Chris Conley, Kaimon Rucker - meh.

Hard to get excited with Des Evans, Silver, KBJ when they did so little last yr. Maybe they'll all be this yr's Cedric Gray though.
KBJ and Silver only played in mop up duty and from what I've heard, Shaw will be getting PT on day one. That is a lot of beef up front in addition to Ritzie. Agree on Evans, don't think his strength is in the 3/4 standing up.

We're much more likely to lose nine than to win nine. Not sure why people just expect Maye to be great in his first year. Most QBs take a year or two. And unless I missed the news that Searles was replaced, our OL will still be bad.
Howell was pretty good his first year..... as well as I remember

Howell was pretty good his first year..... as well as I remember
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that Maye will be. Howell set ACC records his first year. The chances of that happening again are incredibly small. Especially playing behind our OL, with our OL coach.

Those guys on D mixed in with the three 4 star running backs, Nesbit, the new WR, Greene and a massive 5 star get, Rice at LT/RT. I'm not louting the OL coach as a genius but getting some new blood on the OL leaves reason for optimism.

There's a ton of talent in the program right now. I really wish we had replaced Searles but maybe things get better next year with different personnel. It's also possible that Mack will be expecting Longo to take a more hands on approach with managing the OL this year.

I also agree with @tarheel0910 about the S&C program needing an overhaul. We got pushed around in the trenches by smaller, less talented teams. That could just be a technique problem, but I doubt it's only that.

Any assertions being made at this point have to be made with a very low level of certainty. There's just no way any of us can do anything other than get lucky with preseason predictions. The schedule is relatively weak. A solid but not great team that plays smart and physical could probably win 9 or 10 games with less talent than we have. But I would not be completely caught off guard if this team is .500 or worse.

There's a ton of talent in the program right now. I really wish we had replaced Searles but maybe things get better next year with different personnel. It's also possible that Mack will be expecting Longo to take a more hands on approach with managing the OL this year.

I also agree with @tarheel0910 about the S&C program needing an overhaul. We got pushed around in the trenches by smaller, less talented teams. That could just be a technique problem, but I doubt it's only that.

Any assertions being made at this point have to be made with a very low level of certainty. There's just no way any of us can do anything other than get lucky with preseason predictions. The schedule is relatively weak. A solid but not great team that plays smart and physical could probably win 9 or 10 games with less talent than we have. But I would not be completely caught off guard if this team is .500 or worse.
I just have a gut feeling that this past season has really left a sour taste in the mouth of Mack which, IMO, led to them pushing some guys out of the program, both on O and D. I think this year is finally the year we see Mack's guys all over the place, which is what we've been wanting the last few years. Coastal is weak, new head coaches all over the place, non conference sched is meh, it's all set up for them to take advantage of it. Will they? They better, or we're going back to the Bunting years.

I just have a gut feeling that this past season has really left a sour taste in the mouth of Mack which, IMO, led to them pushing some guys out of the program, both on O and D. I think this year is finally the year we see Mack's guys all over the place, which is what we've been wanting the last few years. Coastal is weak, new head coaches all over the place, non conference sched is meh, it's all set up for them to take advantage of it. Will they? They better, or we're going back to the Bunting years.
Are you in ticket sales?

Just kidding! I love to see the optimism even i don't feel it in my gut.

The part about Travis Shaw getting PT day one is huge IMO. Murphy is awesome, so if he can displace Hester, Ritzie and others for more than mop-up it is a sign that he's a stud.

The "IFs" around the D could easily wind up positives.
- If Conley is healthy and gets more consistent with decision-making (or scheme/Warren helps). Plus Kelly/Biggers/Don Chapman, and Boykins all being bigger/smarter/faster could be a really solid nickel & safety room

- Storm Duck is a stud. Grimes has the athleticism.

- LB is young, but Cedric is great and the young guys look the part physically.

- Interior OL should be above avg. I think Murphy will be great, Ritzie was impactful as a true frosh, so should good as a soph. Jahlil & Hester have a ton of size and experience, so if Travis Shaw is getting PT on day one then he's the real deal.

- DE still feels MEH if you're talking about disruptive playmakers but we'll see.

"IFs" around O are much more variable and tenuous.

• Love
Are you in ticket sales?

Just kidding! I love to see the optimism even i don't feel it in my gut.

The part about Travis Shaw getting PT day one is huge IMO. Murphy is awesome, so if he can displace Hester, Ritzie and others for more than mop-up it is a sign that he's a stud.

The "IFs" around the D could easily wind up positives.
- If Conley is healthy and gets more consistent with decision-making (or scheme/Warren helps). Plus Kelly/Biggers/Don Chapman, and Boykins all being bigger/smarter/faster could be a really solid nickel & safety room

- Storm Duck is a stud. Grimes has the athleticism.

- LB is young, but Cedric is great and the young guys look the part physically.

- Interior OL should be above avg. I think Murphy will be great, Ritzie was impactful as a true frosh, so should good as a soph. Jahlil & Hester have a ton of size and experience, so if Travis Shaw is getting PT on day one then he's the real deal.

- DE still feels MEH if you're talking about disruptive playmakers but we'll see.

"IFs" around O are much more variable and tenuous.
Nope, I've just seen a ton of these kids perform in High School. I don't know how you don't have optimism when you look at the kids in the program and look at all of the starters that either just graduated or "transferred" out of the program. How do you not get excited about Shaw, Murphy, KBJ, Silver and Ritzie on the DL? Or a 5 star recruit on the OL. Or (3) 4 star RB's in the backfield etc. A healthy Storm Duck, Warren coaching up Grimes, Conley. Nash/Stephens/RaRa/Power getting integrated on D. Greene, the frosh WR, is an absolute stud who will give give UNC another threat outside of Downs. Nesbit showed a little of what he can do as a true frosh this past season, can't wait to see him get more snaps. Pair all of this with a meh schedule, it's all right there for them to take.

Nope, I've just seen a ton of these kids perform in High School. I don't know how you don't have optimism when you look at the kids in the program and look at all of the starters that either just graduated or "transferred" out of the program. How do you not get excited about Shaw, Murphy, KBJ, Silver and Ritzie on the DL? Or a 5 star recruit on the OL. Or (3) 4 star RB's in the backfield etc. A healthy Storm Duck, Warren coaching up Grimes, Conley. Nash/Stephens/RaRa/Power getting integrated on D. Greene, the frosh WR, is an absolute stud who will give give UNC another threat outside of Downs. Nesbit showed a little of what he can do as a true frosh this past season, can't wait to see him get more snaps. Pair all of this with a meh schedule, it's all right there for them to take.
I read this exact same thing the last two decades of spring, but this time it feels real. We're to shock the world! ;)

• Haha
I read this exact same thing the last two decades of spring, but this time it feels real. We're to shock the world! ;)
We've heard it a few times, no doubt, but the program has never had this much talent on both sides of the ball. Also, season ticket deposits are available now. :cool:

Reactions: blazers
We've heard it a few times, no doubt, but the program has never had this much talent on both sides of the ball. Also, season ticket deposits are available now. :cool:
I know you were joking about the tickets, but I am interested to see what happens with attendance. After last year, I don't think attendance will be that good, at least to start off.

I know you were joking about the tickets, but I am interested to see what happens with attendance. After last year, I don't think attendance will be that good, at least to start off.
2t43ym.gif

2 of the first 3 are on the road, I expect them to be 3-0 going into Notre Dame and VT back to back. Really hope Kenan is packed. I was at the Miami game in Mack's first game back, hoping we go back to those days.

2 of the first 3 are on the road, I expect them to be 3-0 going into Notre Dame and VT back to back. Really hope Kenan is packed. I was at the Miami game in Mack's first game back, hoping we go back to those days.
I know some season ticket holders who aren't renewing this year. Partly because of the play and partly because of the Rams Club. I think it will take a 4-0 start to get the fans back on board.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
I think we're going to have a massive diet of "Gene & Warren" + "Look at Travis Shaw and all these other high star recruits" all during ticket season.
I was at the Miami game in Mack's first game back, hoping we go back to those days.
The first few Mack home games 2019 were amazeballs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT