ADVERTISEMENT

2025 recruiting....

This is how it is now, pay to play. For all those years when it was illegal and UK and Duke and Kansas did all those under the table stuff to get the big recruit's and all we heard was UNC plays by the rules and wont do that type of stuff. Well its legal now, so what's the danm excuse now on missing players? UNC better get with the times or learn how to fade into mediocracy before we become the next UCLA

No one is out bidding Kensucky on this one

No one is out bidding Kensucky on this one
I think it’s kind of funny that he was Oats top target and they supposedly led until a Couple days ago and now uk comes in and gets him. For uk, it’s an optics thing. You don’t lose an in-state kid to a football school. Their boosters were never going to let that happen.

Reactions: Sk1310
I think it’s kind of funny that he was Oats top target and they supposedly led until a Couple days ago and now uk comes in and gets him. For uk, it’s an optics thing. You don’t lose an in-state kid to a football school. Their boosters were never going to let that happen.
Kinda like UNC and Jarin Stephenson....oh wait...

The only thing I would debate with ya is that UNC will continue to stay atop of the ACC, I do not believe that will happen...
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. No point in debating the future and we will find out eventually which theory is correct! I argue that if you win then college bball AND UNC lose! I'm hoping I win this one!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. No point in debating the future and we will find out eventually which theory is correct! I argue that if you win then college bball AND UNC lose! I'm hoping I win this one!
LOL, well it took ya long enough, I baited that hook yesterday and chuckled as to how long before you would bite it! LOL Yeah, I was kind of messing with ya, all in good fun.

My argument isn't what you think it was, my argument is that I do not believe UNC will actually be in the ACC 3yrs from now to be able to dominate it. And yes I do agree, when UNC leaves the ACC I think the league either fails or becomes extremely marginalized and in so all of college sports loses. I just see no way around this, UNC fields far to many non-revenue positive sports to leave so much money on the table that the SEC or the Big10 are willing to give the school. WE are getting hammered in NIL and at some point $$$ you get to where you simply cannot get the talent you need to win.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RHFD
I know or at least it seems like UNC is trying to do things the “right way” with NIL but if they don’t start playing fire with fire we gonna get left behind in both FB and BB.
What is the "right way" now days? Serious question because I don't see the NCAA clearly laying out the right from wrong way any longer, I literally have no idea what it is the NCAA is now willing to enforce, pay for play is now the rule rather than the exception, I have had no idea of what value the NCAA brings to the table for multiple years now?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I was traveling but you got me! It makes me sad to even think of UNC outside the ACC, but I have to recognize the writing when it is on all the walls! I hope they find a way to keep the ACC together and relevant, but wherever UNC lands I pray the Family sticks to the values which make it special!

What is the "right way" now days? Serious question because I don't see the NCAA clearly laying out the right from wrong way any longer, I literally have no idea what it is the NCAA is now willing to enforce, pay for play is now the rule rather than the exception, I have had no idea of what value the NCAA brings to the table for multiple years now?
I guess the “right way” I’m referring to is just not bidding for a player and having them actually get paid for their NIL. We don’t seem to wanna bid for players and it may cost us.

I was traveling but you got me! It makes me sad to even think of UNC outside the ACC, but I have to recognize the writing when it is on all the walls! I hope they find a way to keep the ACC together and relevant, but wherever UNC lands I pray the Family sticks to the values which make it special!
LOL, yeah, when I wrote that I couldn't wait to see your reply and it wasn't there, starting thinking I pissed you off and that was not my intent at all. But your traveling, now I get it, so joke ended up kind of on both of us! LOL

None of us want to see it but the writing is on the wall, feels like so many things that used to be held sacred are being stripped away for terrible reasons. Our institutions are failing us, our leaders are failing us, and little if anything is done to even slow it down.

I had to read it twice; edit my reply twice and look to see who wrote it before I responded, lol! You almost got a 2-page rant, but I just pulled it back in time! (whew!)

The thing I count on is human behavior is cyclical! Eventually, hopefully in my lifetime, we will return to the values we were taught!

I had to read it twice; edit my reply twice and look to see who wrote it before I responded, lol! You almost got a 2-page rant, but I just pulled it back in time! (whew!)

The thing I count on is human behavior is cyclical! Eventually, hopefully in my lifetime, we will return to the values we were taught!
LOL, I was so hoping to draw that rant out from ya! LOL Yeah, had you did that to me I couldn't have gone off on you either, I have to much respect for you my friend! Now that doesn't mean I would not have written and deleted some strong comments before deleting them, means that in the end I would have realized, this is a good guy that is always very rational and I trust him to be the man I know he is!

On another issue, ARCHER, get your arse OFF the bench and get back in to the game, I miss the back and forth discussions with you buddy! I know you had a war of words going on with someone, get past that and let's do some more back and forth.

• Love
Nothing we didn’t know already…I would say it’s concerning as far as the 25 class goes..
It is emphasized when you factor in our 2024 portal class being an overall disappointment. Let’s hope there is a major change for the 2026 class and 2025 portal.

"247Sports national recruiting analyst Brandon Jenkins believe there's one major reason players are slowing down their decision process.

"We've heard about a lot of bidding wars," Jenkins said. "Some players and the people around them want to see if they can ramp up the money they'll receive through NIL. That plays a big factor."

"247Sports national recruiting analyst Brandon Jenkins believe there's one major reason players are slowing down their decision process.

"We've heard about a lot of bidding wars," Jenkins said. "Some players and the people around them want to see if they can ramp up the money they'll receive through NIL. That plays a big factor."
And from everything we have heard UNC is not playing this game…UNC is putting a price tag on players and that’s it..They are not going up or getting into bidding wars..We will see how this works out….

I have a feeling we're not getting any 5* for 2025 .... highly ranked 4* possible...
I've got a feeling the highest ranked recruit we're going to get is Denis.

We need waaaaaay more talent than that to replace what we're going to lose. But until we fix our glaring NIL problem, we're in big trouble.

Reactions: tarheels0015
Maybe if Hubs studies the Women's team his team could vault to #1 in the ACC and possibly a #1 seed in the NCAA.....

I wonder if the team does well this year also will it be despite our coach??? I guess so since he obviously can't recruit! HS recruits are only one way to build a team. Most coaches would say they prefer seasoned and known players to HS ballers who may or may not recreate their HS success, but .....I must be in the minority who love the team being built based on fit/culture as much as raw talent!

Maybe if Hubs studies the Women's team his team could vault to #1 in the ACC and possibly a #1 seed in the NCAA.....

I wonder if the team does well this year also will it be despite our coach??? I guess so since he obviously can't recruit! HS recruits are only one way to build a team. Most coaches would say they prefer seasoned and known players to HS ballers who may or may not recreate their HS success, but .....I must be in the minority who love the team being built based on fit/culture as much as raw talent!
Hubert is missing on the 2025 recruits HE wants, the 2025 recruits HE believes are great fits for the culture of our program, because our NIL isn't sufficient enough to buy them.

That team that finished #1 in the ACC and earned a #1 seed had 3 McDonald's All Americans in the starting lineup (and Cadeau would have been a 4th had he not reclassified in the summer.) The team we have this upcoming season has 3 McDonald's All Americans (plus Cadeau.) Talent matters. It always has at UNC. Our rafters are filled with jerseys of highly ranked recruits, and every last one of them would have wanted to be paid their worth if NIL had existed.

Hubert is missing on the 2025 recruits HE wants, the 2025 recruits HE believes are great fits for the culture of our program, because our NIL isn't sufficient enough to buy them.

That team that finished #1 in the ACC and earned a #1 seed had 3 McDonald's All Americans in the starting lineup (and Cadeau would have been a 4th had he not reclassified in the summer.) The team we have this upcoming season has 3 McDonald's All Americans (plus Cadeau.) Talent matters. It always has at UNC. Our rafters are filled with jerseys of highly ranked recruits, and every last one of them would have wanted to be paid their worth if NIL had existed.
Has nothing to do with NIL…UNC is not getting into bidding wars with other programs…They have a set amount they think a player is worth and they are not going to go over it…

I don’t get why you can’t understand that…

Has nothing to do with NIL…UNC is not getting into bidding wars with other programs…They have a set amount they think a player is worth and they are not going to go over it…

Kool, not looking to piss you off by this, don't know nor care what the goofball you were replying to said, I have him banned from my view. This isn't really aimed at you kool, so please don't take it as if it were.

NIL, I don't like it but I am that guy that absolutely hated when the Olympic's allowed professionals and I still wish that were not the case. It seems to me that so many thoughts I read about NIL, example our not getting in to bidding wars ect, seems the blame for most lays on greedy players. I would suggest most prefer things the way they were, where there was some buying players going on it was done in the dark rooms and it was not concerning EVERY Player on your roster, that was yesterday. I doubt many disagree, it gets worse every year now and no idea where this will lead, that is tomorrow. IN essence we have a collective foot in yesterday and tomorrow but no idea where we are today but we have to lay blame some place, that place to often is at the feet of the kids getting paid.

I did not for 1 second like our getting Omouri bought out from under us, same with Aidoo but you can't blame the kids, we may try but really, shouldn't blame them. We, well most anyway, were all 18-25yrs old, just starting life away from parents. Don't waste a brain cell wondering what I would have done at 23yrs old if some program offered me a MILLION DOLLARS MORE to play for some other program. How many of you would not quit the job you have to take a job that paid a MILLION DOLLARS BONUS just for coming to work for them? LOL

It isn't the kid's I blame, it is the adults that I take strong issue with. The adults in the NCAA offices, coaches, the courts, boosters, on and on. I have long felt players should have some version of stipend, kid gets a golden handshake and the NCAA looks the other way, ok, it happens. But college can only do this for so long before the hole house of cards tumbles and then what? There is absolute ZERO NCAA GUIDENCE or leadership, they are silent while the sports burns, give them a fiddle.

So the bidding wars, well they are a fact of today, hard to accept when we have one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow. How is engaging in a bidding war now either bad, wrong, or unseemly, rather how are they not just what you have to do? And if UNC is not doing what they have to do in order to get the talent they need isn't it more a failing to do what they should, would that not become more the right way NOW TODAY than not bidding what it takes? I don't enjoy saying that but there is a LOT about the world today I do not like, I do still have to live in this world until maybe Mikey and I can hang out some more.

They are also putting UNC in there top 5 as NIL leverage. Programs are willing to pay to keep players out of Chapel Hill.

Reactions: tarheels0015

"Has nothing to do with NIL..."

"UNC is just paying less NIL money than the teams we're recruiting against."

LOL

In the event anyone wants to see it, Jasper Johnson is set to make his public announce sept 5th at 2:15 est, next Thursday from his school. Don't think I will be tuning in for that.

Kool, not looking to piss you off by this, don't know nor care what the goofball you were replying to said, I have him banned from my view. This isn't really aimed at you kool, so please don't take it as if it were.

NIL, I don't like it but I am that guy that absolutely hated when the Olympic's allowed professionals and I still wish that were not the case. It seems to me that so many thoughts I read about NIL, example our not getting in to bidding wars ect, seems the blame for most lays on greedy players. I would suggest most prefer things the way they were, where there was some buying players going on it was done in the dark rooms and it was not concerning EVERY Player on your roster, that was yesterday. I doubt many disagree, it gets worse every year now and no idea where this will lead, that is tomorrow. IN essence we have a collective foot in yesterday and tomorrow but no idea where we are today but we have to lay blame some place, that place to often is at the feet of the kids getting paid.

I did not for 1 second like our getting Omouri bought out from under us, same with Aidoo but you can't blame the kids, we may try but really, shouldn't blame them. We, well most anyway, were all 18-25yrs old, just starting life away from parents. Don't waste a brain cell wondering what I would have done at 23yrs old if some program offered me a MILLION DOLLARS MORE to play for some other program. How many of you would not quit the job you have to take a job that paid a MILLION DOLLARS BONUS just for coming to work for them? LOL

It isn't the kid's I blame, it is the adults that I take strong issue with. The adults in the NCAA offices, coaches, the courts, boosters, on and on. I have long felt players should have some version of stipend, kid gets a golden handshake and the NCAA looks the other way, ok, it happens. But college can only do this for so long before the hole house of cards tumbles and then what? There is absolute ZERO NCAA GUIDENCE or leadership, they are silent while the sports burns, give them a fiddle.

So the bidding wars, well they are a fact of today, hard to accept when we have one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow. How is engaging in a bidding war now either bad, wrong, or unseemly, rather how are they not just what you have to do? And if UNC is not doing what they have to do in order to get the talent they need isn't it more a failing to do what they should, would that not become more the right way NOW TODAY than not bidding what it takes? I don't enjoy saying that but there is a LOT about the world today I do not like, I do still have to live in this world until maybe Mikey and I can hang out some more.
No problems man…I can say this things are getting ready to be better…For both Basketball and Football concerning NIL…

Reactions: DSouthr
And if UNC is not doing what they have to do in order to get the talent they need isn't it more a failing to do what they should, would that not become more the right way NOW TODAY than not bidding what it takes?
Just doing what most consider "right" is not the same thing as doing the right thing! I would rather build a competitive team the hard way and stay true to our ideals instead of just doing what everyone is doing. I like the idea of developing multi-year players and mining the portal to find peeps who have the proper character traits! I watched Hubs build an outstanding team without bending the knee to entitled mercenaries and I applaud UNC and him for doing so! I know many are blinded by flash and would immediately dispense with the Carolina Way to conform to current societal norms, but I love that our U is staying strong! Where some peeps see "misses" I see a coach who refuses to compromise the culture! There are many things in our society that used to be considered "right" but have proven to be immoral and some are now illegal; I would bet UNC will prove to be actually "doing the right thing!"

AND I see a coach who has built a contender his way!

Reactions: Ozheelfan
Just doing what most consider "right" is not the same thing as doing the right thing! I would rather build a competitive team the hard way and stay true to our ideals instead of just doing what everyone is doing. I like the idea of developing multi-year players and mining the portal to find peeps who have the proper character traits! I watched Hubs build an outstanding team without bending the knee to entitled mercenaries and I applaud UNC and him for doing so! I know many are blinded by flash and would immediately dispense with the Carolina Way to conform to current societal norms, but I love that our U is staying strong! Where some peeps see "misses" I see a coach who refuses to compromise the culture! There are many things in our society that used to be considered "right" but have proven to be immoral and some are now illegal; I would bet UNC will prove to be actually "doing the right thing!"

AND I see a coach who has built a contender his way!
Hubert vetted each and every recruit he has offered and pursued. He felt they fit the Carolina culture. Yet you call them entitled mercenaries because they picked other schools?

Just as Coach Williams didn't deal with certain "handlers" in recruiting, it seems Coach Davis has (for the time being, at least) drawn a line in the sand with regards to behaviors with which he feels comfortable in this nascent NIL era. I think it's an informed calculation, though -- not him being obstinate simply for the sake of it, or necessarily solely a sign of not having sufficient funds (though I assume this could be a factor, I confess that the willy-nilly nature of the changes in landscape bum me out enough that I don't want to spend my time deep-diving on all the particulars of NIL collectives, whether ours or anyone else's.)

Basically, I look at UNC's recruiting patterns over the last several cycles (swings, misses, hits, pick-ups) and see the template for a certain sales pitch. Coach Davis, I feel, is selling both direct value (NIL opportunities) and a strong assortment of ancillary remuneration that has always been a big part of the UNC "brand." It's frustrating that (to acknowledge point made above) kids vetted as a good culture fit then -- along with their families -- don't necessarily seem to be responding to that message.

But Coach Davis is smart enough to adjust, and has already shown a successful ability in the past to identify transfer talent. So when he and the staff do a post-mortem on the '25 cycle, they'll have to be honest enough to identify commonalities in missed targets, and tweak things moving forward.

I'm certain, for example, that Coach Davis already savvy enough that if/when he feels UNC is simply being used to "bid up" a kid's NIL package, he starts proactively looking elsewhere; it's not incredibly difficult to discern, through questions both asked and unasked, when a kid's interest is surface-level. The 5* "NBA-lock" talents are great, and I'm not naive enough to say UNC doesn't need some of them to sustain itself. But Coach Davis's preferred message (rooted in being not just an alum, but one who had to "prove" himself in his recruitment, and then a player who went on to considerable success in the NBA) ultimately may just end up finding more receptive ears in 4* HS talent, and portal transfers who've had to prove themselves and/or have had breakouts and are looking to "trade up."

Just as Coach Williams didn't deal with certain "handlers" in recruiting, it seems Coach Davis has (for the time being, at least) drawn a line in the sand with regards to behaviors with which he feels comfortable in this nascent NIL era. I think it's an informed calculation, though -- not him being obstinate simply for the sake of it, or necessarily solely a sign of not having sufficient funds (though I assume this could be a factor, I confess that the willy-nilly nature of the changes in landscape bum me out enough that I don't want to spend my time deep-diving on all the particulars of NIL collectives, whether ours or anyone else's.)

Basically, I look at UNC's recruiting patterns over the last several cycles (swings, misses, hits, pick-ups) and see the template for a certain sales pitch. Coach Davis, I feel, is selling both direct value (NIL opportunities) and a strong assortment of ancillary remuneration that has always been a big part of the UNC "brand." It's frustrating that (to acknowledge point made above) kids vetted as a good culture fit then -- along with their families -- don't necessarily seem to be responding to that message.

But Coach Davis is smart enough to adjust, and has already shown a successful ability in the past to identify transfer talent. So when he and the staff do a post-mortem on the '25 cycle, they'll have to be honest enough to identify commonalities in missed targets, and tweak things moving forward.

I'm certain, for example, that Coach Davis already savvy enough that if/when he feels UNC is simply being used to "bid up" a kid's NIL package, he starts proactively looking elsewhere; it's not incredibly difficult to discern, through questions both asked and unasked, when a kid's interest is surface-level. The 5* "NBA-lock" talents are great, and I'm not naive enough to say UNC doesn't need some of them to sustain itself. But Coach Davis's preferred message (rooted in being not just an alum, but one who had to "prove" himself in his recruitment, and then a player who went on to considerable success in the NBA) ultimately may just end up finding more receptive ears in 4* HS talent, and portal transfers who've had to prove themselves and/or have had breakouts and are looking to "trade up."
Mike-drop post….

Eric Reibe just cancelled his UNC visit. That means both of the centers Hubert prioritized and got to schedule visits will never actually set foot in Chapel Hill (Moreno was the other.) This class is turning into a nightmare. All the work Hubert has put in, in some cases recruiting guys for more than a year, and it's all for nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT