ADVERTISEMENT

30 ft waves coming

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
Hurricane Fiona will be passing offshore late this week. Bermuda is forecast to receive 70 ft waves. We’re supposed to see 30 ft. We get lots of hurricanes but those that pass like this generate the biggest waves for some reason. I saw some 30footers when I first moved here 25 yrs ago. It’s an incredible sight. Can’t wait.

eta saw some poor guy go over the top of one trying to paddle out to surf. Thirty foot fall into the water to have the wave fall on top of you. He was in bad shape and people had to call ambulance. Board got smashed.

• Wow
Reactions: gteeitup
That would be cool to see again. I lived along the Grand Strand for about 7 years- Hugo survivor - and, it's pretty cool to see those.

Hurricane Fiona will be passing offshore late this week. Bermuda is forecast to receive 70 ft waves. We’re supposed to see 30 ft. We get lots of hurricanes but those that pass like this generate the biggest waves for some reason. I saw some 30footers when I first moved here 25 yrs ago. It’s an incredible sight. Can’t wait.

eta saw some poor guy go over the top of one trying to paddle out to surf. Thirty foot fall into the water to have the wave fall on top of you. He was in bad shape and people had to call ambulance. Board got smashed.
damn…should’ve planned my trip there this week instead of july.

That would be cool to see again. I lived along the Grand Strand for about 7 years- Hugo survivor - and, it's pretty cool to see those.
was in the water on hhi when we had to evacuate…that was fun, haven’t seen waves like that since.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
damn…should’ve planned my trip there this week instead of july.

was in the water on hhi when we had to evacuate…that was fun, haven’t seen waves like that since.
I was living in Surfside Beach, at the time. I remember there were trucks going up and down the streets on the ocean side of Business 17 with huge speakers blaring "Governor Carroll Campbell has issued a mandatory evacuation for all persons residing east of Highway 17 Business and the Atlantic Ocean! You are hereby instructed to... blah blah blah." We had an apartment on 17th Avenue. Anyway, we stayed until probably 7pm before heading to Conway High School. I was 21 years old, flunked out of UNC a year before and went to the coast to live for a while!

You know... it was actually TODAY... 33 years ago! 1989!!!

The aftermath was much more interesting. And, hanging out in Conway High School was another interesting experience!

csb

I was living in Surfside Beach, at the time. I remember there were trucks going up and down the streets on the ocean side of Business 17 with huge speakers blaring "Governor Carroll Campbell has issued a mandatory evacuation for all persons residing east of Highway 17 Business and the Atlantic Ocean! You are hereby instructed to... blah blah blah." We had an apartment on 17th Avenue. Anyway, we stayed until probably 7pm before heading to Conway High School. I was 21 years old, flunked out of UNC a year before and went to the coast to live for a while!

You know... it was actually TODAY... 33 years ago! 1989!!!

The aftermath was much more interesting. And, hanging out in Conway High School was another interesting experience!

csb
if hugo had hit hhi, it may not exist today…that place is only five miles wide

i was a senior in high school so the last thing i thought about was my safety or storm damage.

we went to aiken for some reason…how big was coastal carolina back then?

if hugo had hit hhi, it may not exist today…that place is only five miles wide

i was a senior in high school so the last thing i thought about was my safety or storm damage.

we went to aiken for some reason…how big was coastal carolina back then?
It was nothing like it is now. It's pretty crazy how much that campus has grown in 30 years. That whole area has grown, for that matter. From Conway to MB is crazy. There wasn't much at all between them back then. Now? It's loaded with... everything. All the way to that new bypass hwy 31

We stopped in Conway. I was worried it wasn't far enough inland! I tell ya... that was one of the more "scared moments" of my life. I'd never dealt with a natural disaster like that and no one knew exactly where it was going to hit, and it was fugging huge. My cousin was living in St Croix at the time, and she was without water for like 6 months! Conway High School was packed. I finally zonked-out about 2 am, in a hallway, and slept until noon the next day! My other two friends were too wound up. It kinda reminded me of the Superdome. People bringing whatever they had. Eating in the hallways and lobbies and gymnasium. When it hit, it got LOUD!!! I woke up once, but went right back to sleep.

They let us through the next evening at the bridge over the IC Waterway, on hwy 544, if you had ID showing you lived there. After 7pm, they shut that down. The looting was insane! We walked back down to the beach to see how much damage there was, and saw how far up the water had come. There was a Holiday Inn at the end of 17th Ave, on the beach, and people were stealing EVERYTHING! The swimming pool was gone. There was a bar and people were stealing wine and liquor. They were walking off with anything they could. The National Guard were posted way up at the entrance of each avenue along business 17. And, meanwhile, people were looting all down Ocean Blvd. Then, the next day were drove around Surfside, Garden City and Murrells Inlet to see how bad it was. It was BAD! And, that December, we went to the Gator Bowl to see the Rolling Stones and saw the damage along 17 towards Charleston, for the first time. THAT was brutal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT