ADVERTISEMENT

A telling little statistical addendum:

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
Going back through our possessions/sets (as much as possible given variations on the fly), here are some pretty telling numbers:

Composite scores
w/ Paige running Point: UNC 23 - dook 22
w/ Berry running Point: UNC 48 - dook 40
w/ Britt running Point: UNC 19 - dook 30

I wanted to see if the numbers matched what I was seeing in real time and well... they did.

Originally posted by PolkCountyBullGator:
Berry will be a monster before he leaves Chapel Hill.

And I hope dookboy Jones stays another year to see it.[/B]
Indeed, and the other point, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, Nate needs to play off the ball when he's in the game, even when he's in with Marcus. Obviously he's not an ideal 2, but he can drive and create and shoot some off the pass.., and that keeps the ball from sticking to his hands and the spacing from collapsing as it inevitably does when he's at Point

Originally posted by gary-7:
Going back through our possessions/sets (as much as possible given variations on the fly), here are some pretty telling numbers:

Composite scores
w/ Paige running Point: UNC 23 - dook 22
w/ Berry running Point: UNC 48 - dook 40
w/ Britt running Point: UNC 19 - dook 30

I wanted to see if the numbers matched what I was seeing in real time and well... they did.
Interesting numbers . .

I notice you always align your numbers strictly for the argument of wanting Berry to start, Gary . . is there a way you could expand it to include the other 4 players that were on the floor with Joel . . ?

How well did we do when Jackson was playing versus when he was on the bench . . ? He only played 17 minutes . . and contributed only 2 points.

When Britt was running point, was Brice sitting on the bench resting with Paige and Meeks . . ? Joel James on the floor at the same time Britt ran point . . ?

Who was our most productive 5 players and for how long did they see the floor . . ?

I know you were highly disappointed not to see JB start yesterday, but, when you really think about it, Roy must have some reason for his choices . .

Keep the numbers coming, but, it seems like you could paint a bigger picture with expanded statistics . .

Jus' saying . .

Damn, Billy. You need to hire me a grad assistant!
scared0015.r191677.gif

Just for the record though, I don't have to skew anything. The numbers virtually scream, as do my eyes.

Occasionally I get surprised. The numbers pointing to Britt being better OFF the ball would NOT have been my first guess earlier in the season, but they are what they are.

Bottom line, I would have to INVENT numbers to make JB's importance look smaller
This post was edited on 2/19 9:53 PM by gary-7

So, you are unable to tell me who is playing with Berry, Paige or Britt . . . ?

Okay, can you at least tell me who our most productive 5 playing together were last night . . ?

Originally posted by BillyL:

So, you are unable to tell me who is playing with Berry, Paige or Britt . . . ?

Okay, can you at least tell me who our most productive 5 playing together were last night . . ?
Well, I could, but I that would require a way bigger effort. I keep a stat sheet in real time based on one I had a manager keep when I was coaching, but with the added feature of crossing it with guard combos, which makes it more demanding. I comp my real-time numbers with the game run to make sure I didn't miss substitution times. Adding even one other position to the mix increases the demands exponentially.

And... the score correlation I just added in this thread can't be recreated from the game run. I had to comp it from my notes plus re-watching to double check who was actually running Point in the various Guard configurations.

I can tell you this: Berry ran Point both when Paige, and then Britt, was on the floor with him, and also in the first go-round of the 3-guard lineup (unfortunately not in the last 2 times, and that hurt us badly). Pretty much every normal combo of other position players was out there with them at various times. Bottom line is we won the time when Berry was at Point. We lost (badly) when Britt was running Point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT