ADVERTISEMENT

ACC bowls

Pitt played the game without 10 starters including QB Kedon Slovis (2400 passing yds who transferred to BYU) and RB Izzy Abanikanda (1436 rushing yds and 20 TD) who plans to go in the NFL Draft.

Pitt beat very good #18 UCLA 9-3 Team with many backup players including QB Nick Patti and RB Rodney Hammond (96 rushing yds against UCLA).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: razzaba
ND has come back and taken the lead with its OL controlling the LOS and its RBs pounding.

SoCar had the ball and across the 50, but could not get to the end zone. Irish win 45-38.

If Clemson wins the Orange, the Tigers should finish ranked no lower than #6. The ACC needs that badly.

Clemson got smoked!
The key was the fact that 'weak link' for Tennessee, its defense, was able to stifle Clemson any time it got near the Vols 25. The Tigers could march down the field steadily and then hit the brick wall.

Admittedly, if Clemson had nailed those 3 missed FGs, the extra 9 points would have pout more pressure on both the UT D and its offense, which might have led to a major mistake or two that could have led to the Clemson . But the fact is that the Vols D looked almost Georgia-like when Clemson got to around the 30. Put that with a QB with far too little experience, and you have Vols win that could have been worse.

I was most impressed by the Tennessee LBs. As a group, they were always on the move and always had someway around rot ball, every play. The DL was able to prevent Clemson Ol from pushing them out of the way, and that allowed the LBs to shine.

As for offense, I was most impressed with the Vols WR depth. 2 of their normal starters were out, and even so, their WRs got open all night. They made the Clemson secondary look minor league. That kind of WR depth is what UNC would have if Galloway were anything close to the position coach that Mack and others talk him up as being.

Pitt played the game without 10 starters including QB Kedon Slovis (2400 passing yds who transferred to BYU) and RB Izzy Abanikanda (1436 rushing yds and 20 TD) who plans to go in the NFL Draft.

Pitt beat very good #18 UCLA 9-3 Team with many backup players including QB Nick Patti and RB Rodney Hammond (96 rushing yds against UCLA).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Pitt beat a ranked team. That makes the Pitt bowl the best for the ACC in 2022. Taking shots at Pitt by certain UNC fans is not much about Pitt; it is all about defending and excusing Mack Brown and his carefully handpicked buddies group of assistant coaches - especially Dre Bly. It is an old thing with UNC football fans: the part of the fan base that supports the current mediocre HC eventually gets totally nuts with their position. My favorite from the Fedora days was the guy who asserted that even if Fedora were to have 3 consecutive teams with no more than 3 wins, he should get another year after that because he had earned it.

Narduzzi fits that locale perfectly: blue collar football with the major focus on player development. With the back to back teams he's produced, Pitt now could reach another level of recruiting. I don't think HS football in PA is nearly good enough anymore for Pitt to ever again have what it had under Majors and Sherrill: multiple years of being ranked and having a shot at the Top 10. But I do think Pitt could emerge with a run of very good bowl teams that finish among the ACC's Top 4. And that sustained success always can lead to the magic season.

Pitt beat a ranked team. That makes the Pitt bowl the best for the ACC in 2022. Taking shots at Pitt by certain UNC fans is not much about Pitt; it is all about defending and excusing Mack Brown and his carefully handpicked buddies group of assistant coaches - especially Dre Bly. It is an old thing with UNC football fans: the part of the fan base that supports the current mediocre HC eventually gets totally nuts with their position. My favorite from the Fedora days was the guy who asserted that even if Fedora were to have 3 consecutive teams with no more than 3 wins, he should get another year after that because he had earned it.

Narduzzi fits that locale perfectly: blue collar football with the major focus on player development. With the back to back teams he's produced, Pitt now could reach another level of recruiting. I don't think HS football in PA is nearly good enough anymore for Pitt to ever again have what it had under Majors and Sherrill: multiple years of being ranked and having a shot at the Top 10. But I do think Pitt could emerge with a run of very good bowl teams that finish among the ACC's Top 4. And that sustained success always can lead to the magic season.
Same ole material. You were talking about the differences in between the teams, I mentioned the 18-pt difference in the score when they played. For some odd reason, you think all of us UNC fans on this site want Mack Brown as the head coach, when it's in fact the exact opposite. Regardless, he did the job he was hired to do. He inherited a program that won a combined 5 games in the 2 years prior to Mack 2.0. Got them to 4 consecutive bowl games, built back relationships at the NC high schools and enhanced the facilities. It's time to move on and build for the future but he's not going to leave until Drake graduates. You can bring up Bly all you want. For the 56th time, he's not telling the guys to play soft and not look back at the ball. Bringing up Fedora again? Damn broken record.

If Pitt is going to be successful long term it will be through building teams that can dominate the lines of scrimmage, establishing a run game to support the passing game, and finding under the radar players to exceed expectations (Kancey, Aaron Donald, Dennis, etc). We don’t have the support for NIL that a lot of other schools have so won’t be winning any bidding wars. A Kenny Pickett and Jordan Addison don’t come around all too often, and in the case of Addison, even when they are found and perform well as underclassmen, there’s a strong chance that they get lured away by the money after a year or two.

Same old woad. Clemson loses and he wants to talk about UNC's problems. Pitt wins and he wants to talk about UNC's problems. It reminds me how moo fans always make everything about UNC.
UNC's problems are why UNC did not win the ACC. UNC's failing to properly address such problems will mean no ACC title again.

Perhaps you assume that UNC and its fans ignoring UNC deficiencies will magically correct the problems.

Same ole material. You were talking about the differences in between the teams, I mentioned the 18-pt difference in the score when they played. For some odd reason, you think all of us UNC fans on this site want Mack Brown as the head coach, when it's in fact the exact opposite. Regardless, he did the job he was hired to do. He inherited a program that won a combined 5 games in the 2 years prior to Mack 2.0. Got them to 4 consecutive bowl games, built back relationships at the NC high schools and enhanced the facilities. It's time to move on and build for the future but he's not going to leave until Drake graduates. You can bring up Bly all you want. For the 56th time, he's not telling the guys to play soft and not look back at the ball. Bringing up Fedora again? Damn broken record.
So does all this crap mean that that you agree it is time to move on from Mack? If so, welcome aboard.

I'll give you a little hint about teaching DBs when and when not to look back for the ball. When a DB is beaten, he should not look back until such time as the receiver is clearly moving hands to make the catch, and then he almost always is better off just going for those hands. Why? Because in looking back, he loses another fraction of a step, and if the receiver catches the ball, he then is gone.

Bly never had to think about such matters playing, because in college almost no one, ever, beat him and got a full step behind him. The reason the DBs tend to play so far off the LOS is because they lack the techniques to be able to keep up with quality receivers. They also, save for a couple of freshmen who clearly are Warren's type, have major issues with tackling in open space.

As for that UNC-Pitt game in 2022, do you think that if the teams had played again, in Pittsburgh, this week, that UNC would have won? Pitt was the better team to end the season and has as many wins overall and has a better best win. failure not to grasp those things means fans have a false rosy picture about the state of the program under Mack. .

UNC's problems are why UNC did not win the ACC. UNC's failing to properly address such problems will mean no ACC title again.

Perhaps you assume that UNC and its fans ignoring UNC deficiencies will magically correct the problems.
No, I assume that a discussion about Pittsburgh will be about Pittsburgh and a discussion about Clemson will be about Clemson. But you can't even do that in your own thread.

I think Mack has one of the best football minds of anyone in coaching (His coaching ability, or lack thereof, not withstanding), I also think we have a lot of football knowledge on this board, and many issues with the Heels have been rightly addressed here. But if we see the issues, surely Mack does. And if he does, why has he seemingly been unwilling to address them more forthrightly. (We've addressed that here too, but I am still looking for a satisfactory explanation - something other than "friend, not coach," or his "buddy system" of assistants.)

I think Mack has one of the best football minds of anyone in coaching (His coaching ability, or lack thereof, not withstanding), I also think we have a lot of football knowledge on this board, and many issues with the Heels have been rightly addressed here. But if we see the issues, surely Mack does. And if he does, why has he seemingly been unwilling to address them more forthrightly. (We've addressed that here too, but I am still looking for a satisfactory explanation - something other than "friend, not coach," or his "buddy system" of assistants.)

It could be that he is trying to address them, but doesn't have the people in place that can do it. If that's the case, it's on him to recognize that and change the staff.

So does all this crap mean that that you agree it is time to move on from Mack? If so, welcome aboard.

I'll give you a little hint about teaching DBs when and when not to look back for the ball. When a DB is beaten, he should not look back until such time as the receiver is clearly moving hands to make the catch, and then he almost always is better off just going for those hands. Why? Because in looking back, he loses another fraction of a step, and if the receiver catches the ball, he then is gone.

Bly never had to think about such matters playing, because in college almost no one, ever, beat him and got a full step behind him. The reason the DBs tend to play so far off the LOS is because they lack the techniques to be able to keep up with quality receivers. They also, save for a couple of freshmen who clearly are Warren's type, have major issues with tackling in open space.

As for that UNC-Pitt game in 2022, do you think that if the teams had played again, in Pittsburgh, this week, that UNC would have won? Pitt was the better team to end the season and has as many wins overall and has a better best win. failure not to grasp those things means fans have a false rosy picture about the state of the program under Mack. .
I said that a long time ago. He's done what he was hired to do but now it's time to pass the keys on to the future. 2023 will be his last season, I expect they've got a list of candidates and will be monitoring them this entire year.

I understand when a DB should and shouldn't look back for the ball.

I'll give you a little hint on Warren and Chizik. The DB's will always play far off the LOS as this is their scheme. They're not catering to what they have, this is who they are and what they believe in.

I have no idea how a game against Pitt would have gone and neither do you. All I know is that UNC beat them and their physical D by 3 scores this year while Maye slung the ball all over them. Everyone on here knows the current state of the program under Mack, whether they would beat Pitt now has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT