ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips Presser Transcript

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
JIM PHILLIPS: Good afternoon. Welcome to Charlotte for the 2024 ACC Basketball Tipoff. To begin, I would like to thank each of you for your continuing coverage of the ACC. The promotion and exposure you provide our conference is deeply appreciated.

Let me also take a moment to acknowledge the devastation that occurred from Hurricane Helene and what has been forecast as a historical storm in Hurricane Milton. Our hearts and prayers are with everyone who has been or could be directly affected, as well as those with family and friends of loved ones being impacted by these terrible tragedies.

Consistent with this time of year there's always an extra layer of energy and excitement. We are midway through our highly successful fall sports seasons with No. 1 ranked teams in field hockey, women's soccer, men's soccer, and volleyball, as well as two football teams in the top 10, and less than a month away from the start of ACC women's and men's basketball.

Since my forum remarks in July, the ongoing evolution within college athletics continues. What has not changed is the ACC's position as a healthy and vibrant conference that competes at the highest level athletically and one where our institutions provide every student-athlete with a world-class academic experience.

During my remarks in the summer, I spoke about the ongoing emphasis surrounding revenue generation. We remain aggressively evaluating financial opportunities, including any area that potentially enhances our conference revenues both in the immediate and long-term future of the ACC.

One area of focus that many of you have reported on is the league's success initiatives that began this fall. This innovative and progressive new revenue distribution model provides schools with the ability to earn additional revenues through football and men's basketball based on success. These dollars are in addition to the annual per school distribution.

In August, the NCAA Division 1 board of directors voted unanimously to introduce a proposal that would financially reward participating women's basketball programs beginning with the 2025 NCAA Tournament.

Units for women's basketball is just one example of the elevation and appropriate recognition of women's sports in an area I've been very vocal and supportive of. Similar to the process for the additional revenues the conference receives in football and men's basketball, and assuming that the vote during the NCAA convention in January approves the additional revenues, we are prepared to include women's basketball as part of our ACC success initiatives.

There's certainly great anticipation for the upcoming seasons of ACC basketball, but before addressing our league and teams, let me take a moment to speak about a few areas you might be interested in beyond basketball.

The ACC continues to be central in national discussions around identifying solutions to the countless challenges facing college athletics, and among the most pressing is the proposed House settlement. We are pleased that earlier this week Judge Wilken took the first major step towards approving the settlement.

The agreement will provide unparalleled opportunities for student-athletes and offer much-needed transparency and structure on campus, with the end goal being a sustainable model for the long-term future of college athletics.

To be certain, we are laser-focused on the proposed new model. We remain connected with our membership in providing clarity to our schools and our student-athletes. Creativity and innovation remain vital to ensuring our schools compete and thrive at the highest level.

Because the House settlement cannot alone provide the full resolution that is desperately needed, our federal legislative efforts remain front and center, including congressional help.

As I stated in July and it's still consistent today with multiple ongoing legal cases involving the ACC and two member schools, there remain limits to what I can share on the topic.

However, I will restate, we remain confident in our legal position and are prepared for long-term litigation. What we will not do is let the ongoing legal processes distract us from providing outstanding experiences for our student-athletes, teams, and coaches at our 18-member institutions.

Now let's talk about ACC basketball. But I do want to start by asking everyone in joining me in remembering Raymie Styons. We lost Raymie in August. He was taken far too soon.

He was a highly-respected and dedicated official who served the ACC for 35 years, including officiating in 20 ACC and 17 NCAA men's basketball tournaments. A truly remarkable person. Let's take a moment to remember Raymie and his family.

Thank you. ACC basketball, the premier conference in all of men's and women's college hoops is now just 26 days away and our 36 basketball programs will strive to accomplish greatness.

We welcome the Cal, SMU, and Stanford basketball programs, as well as the seven first-year head coaches, four women's and three men's, who start their respective tenures this year.

ACC women's basketball enters the 2024-25 season with six ranked teams in ESPN's way-too-early women's basketball top 25. We welcome back 14 of last season's 20 All-ACC honorees. This includes five first-team members and the ACC Rookie and Defensive Player of the Year.

This year's competition will be as fierce as ever, and ACC women's basketball continues to be the national standard. Since 2014, the ACC leads all conferences in Final Four, Elite Eight, and Sweet 16 appearances, as well as NCAA Tournament wins.

In addition, over the last six seasons the ACC leads all leagues with 48 teams participating in the NCAA Tournament. The ACC's 60 victories since 2019 also leads all conferences.

At least one ACC team has advanced to the Elite Eight in each of the past 22 NCAA tournaments, which is the longest streak of any conference, with the next closest being at 14.

Overall, ten of our current member institutions have played in at least one Final Four.

ACC men's basketball continues to prove itself as the nation's top basketball conference with another dynamic postseason performance to close out last year. As we enter the season, two of last year's five first-team All-ACC players return.

Overall, the league welcomes back its ACC Player of the Year, Rookie, Sixth Man, and Most Improved Players of the Year, as well as the nation's lone returning first-team consensus All-American.

The postseason success for ACC men's basketball is well-documented. Last season, four teams advanced to the Sweet 16 and three to the Elite Eight, with NC State moving on to the Final Four. The ACC had the most teams of any conference in both the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight last season.

In the last three years, four different teams have advanced to the Final Four, and the ACC is 33-15 in the NCAA Tournament, both the very best of any conference.

Since 2015, the ACC leads all conferences in Final Four appearances with nine and NCAA Tournament wins with 111, which is 28 more wins than any other conference. Six different ACC programs, the most of any league, have reached the Final Four since 2015, and the ACC has won three NCAA titles from three different teams.

If you want to talk about sustained excellence and depth in each of the last five decades, the ACC has led the nation in either NCAA Tournament victories and/or tournament winning percentage. Before taking some questions, I do want to share some specifics related to our league's vocal concerns with the lack of recent NCAA men's basketball bids despite undeniable success of our teams.

Last spring, we initiated an extensive statistical analysis with multiple experts regarding our scheduling. This was inclusive of both conference and non-conference games and how that impacts the NCAA net rankings and selection process.

Our league formed working groups and engaged in countless discussions with our head coaches and athletic directors. Scheduling remains an important piece and collectively our teams have been aggressive.

As you look at November and December matchups, you immediately note our teams playing in the most prestigious early season tournaments as well as meaningful events and marquee games throughout says non-conference play.

Beyond scheduling, we have focused on a number of other areas. As I have said before, being one of only three conferences with a dedicated fully distributed national network is significant. ACC Network is a differentiator and having it showcase our basketball teams, coaches, and players into its daily programming is critical.

We will continue to be aggressive with our television partners in ensuring our ACC and talent, coaches, and players are integrated across all of the ESPN platforms.

Internally we've been working with multiple consultants as well as bolstering our external efforts to make certain our coverage is appropriately reflecting the talent and the teams we have in this outstanding league. We've connected with current and former members of the NCAA committee and NCAA staff to best ensure the conference and our membership understands the metrics and system by which programs will be evaluated. As a former member of both the men's and women's NCAA basketball committee, I understand this is extremely important.

Consistent with previous years and as part of the NCAA basketball committee's process, throughout the year we will have regular communication and connection with NCAA committee members. From top to bottom, this league has been undervalued, but it remains clear that the competition within the ACC prepares our teams for postseason play.

As I said when I started to talk about ACC basketball, both men's and women's, we have been and continue to be the premier conference. I'm hopeful I was able to address your areas of interest, and now I'm happy to take any questions from the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.