ADVERTISEMENT

AJ: Five Weeks Ago...

I would not be bothered whole lot by the loss to Clemson, not in any of its particulars, if the team had entered 10-0, as it should have. Once again, UNC hiring and then keeping a poor or average HC has harmed ACC football as a whole. The ACC is on the chopping block, and UNC keeps leading it the wrong way with its damned stupid football choices. Those harm not just UNC but the ACC itself.

I would not be bothered whole lot by the loss to Clemson, not in any of its particulars, if the team had entered 10-0, as it should have. Once again, UNC hiring and then keeping a poor or average HC has harmed ACC football as a whole. The ACC is on the chopping block, and UNC keeps leading it the wrong way with its damned stupid football choices. Those harm not just UNC but the ACC itself.

There's no guarantee that a hire other than Mack would have us in a better position right now, and if that were the case, you would be critical of that move also, it's what you do. Try to find a happy place my man.

Reactions: tarheel0910
By nature I’m a very optimistic person but not when it comes to Carolina football. I’ve read this same book and watched the movie for 50 years now and it always ends the same. Until the university and the fans demand better than mediocrity then mediocrity is what we’ll get. To me we need a tough nosed coach who can instill some nastiness into this program and shed our soft persona. Someone who demands field discipline and is good with X’s and O’s Of the game. Who that could be I have no idea but I am absolutely finished buying into this program until I see it. Now don’t get me wrong at all, I’ll still be watching and pulling for my Heels just without any expectations or delusions that this sleeping giant will ever awaken from its coma.

Reactions: strummingram
By nature I’m a very optimistic person but not when it comes to Carolina football. I’ve read this same book and watched the movie for 50 years now and it always ends the same. Until the university and the fans demand better than mediocrity then mediocrity is what we’ll get. To me we need a tough nosed coach who can instill some nastiness into this program and shed our soft persona. Someone who demands field discipline and is good with X’s and O’s Of the game. Who that could be I have no idea but I am absolutely finished buying into this program until I see it. Now don’t get me wrong at all, I’ll still be watching and pulling for my Heels just without any expectations or delusions that this sleeping giant will ever awaken from its coma.

Reread your post - fans AND the university.

I am starting to believe that’s part of it. The university and the old school regime are perfectly content with what we are doing on the gridiron. We have been on the fence since Mack 1.0. Either all in or all out. Shit or get off the pot.

Reactions: Kool1234567
This is the maximum that Brown and company can produce. That's been proven. I think he's won 1 bowl game this time around. And, they were 6-6 that year.

For a school who cares so little about football, we sure do spend a lot of money on it. Significantly more than basketball.

For a school who cares so little about football, we sure do spend a lot of money on it. Significantly more than basketball.
It doesn't matter what they spend. UNC is not a football powerhouse school. Anyone who succeeds at UNC, unless it's an alum, will just get bought by one of the powerhouse schools when their program slumps.

It doesn't matter what they spend. UNC is not a football powerhouse school. Anyone who succeeds at UNC, unless it's an alum, will just get bought by one of the powerhouse schools when their program slumps.
I agree, but this narrative that the school either doesn't care about football and/or tries to keep it down doesn't match the facts. People point to the hires that we have made as some type of proof. All but about 10 schools don't make the right hire. Does that mean all the other schools don't care about football? And let's not forget the most important part. The "right coach" has to actually want to come. People seem to forget that part.

Last edited:
I agree, but this narrative that the school either doesn't care about football and/or tries to keep it down doesn't match the facts. People point to the hires that we have made as some type of proof. All but about 10 schools make the right hire. Does that mean all the other schools don't care about football? And let's not forget the most important part. The "right coach" has to actually want to come. People seem to forget that part.
Oh, for sure. The right pieces all have to fall into place.

Mack was probably the best we could do at the time, and there’s no guarantee the next hire will do any better.

Personally, I’m ready to roll the dice and take that chance.

Reread your post - fans AND the university.

I am starting to believe that’s part of it. The university and the old school regime are perfectly content with what we are doing on the gridiron. We have been on the fence since Mack 1.0. Either all in or all out. Shit or get off the pot.
Yep. Either treat football the way basketball has been traded and ;promoted since the hiring of Frank McQGuiurek for close drop out of D1A football. Just join the Big East ands play 1AA football against William&Mary, Richmond, Furman, VMI, etc.

Mack was probably the best we could do at the time, and there’s no guarantee the next hire will do any better.

I don't really care if he stays or goes. I know that five years into the new coaches regime, after winning between 6-8 games a year, we'll be having the same conversation.

And, if we do have someone winning 10 games a season, they will get snagged by a lagging powerhouse.

That’s not necessarily true if it’s the right coach and we shell out the cash. But it’s gonna take even more than Mack is getting plus a huge war chest for an elite staff behind them.

I don't really care if he stays or goes. I know that five years into the new coaches regime, after winning between 6-8 games a year, we'll be having the same conversation.
You've accepted losing. You are right where they want you to be: you serve the goals of permanent UNC football mediocrity.

Hiring is always the roll of the dice. But if you wish to Win, you fire whenever a coach cannot Win and you try again.

And maybe end up like Jimbo? More than few guys have ruined careers leaving palace eat which they win too chase bigger ones or larger stadium or more alums, etc.

When Bob y Dodd retired at GT, most GT boosters wanted him to beg Frank Broyles to return to his alma mater and save the program. Dodd told Burleys the job was his under any conditions if he wanted it, But he also told Broyles that being The Legend at a school is itself worth a fortune, and that Boryles was already a Legend at Arkansas. Broyles stayed, independent GT began to fail, and Broyloes Legend status grew.

A football coach at UNC getting into the playoffs will then become a Legend. One who wins th4e National Championship will become a huge Legend.

There's no guarantee that a hire other than Mack would have us in a better position right now, and if that were the case, you would be critical of that move also, it's what you do. Try to find a happy place my man.
Always the wise advice of the basketball-onlys and basketball-firsters: just accept football mediocrity and be happy with that. You delight in that football mediocrity, and IU always will oppose it. I'm happy opposing it.

Yes, a new coach as mediocre as Mack would be opposed too, because it is not then man I oppose but his mediocrity.

That’s not necessarily true if it’s the right coach and we shell out the cash. But it’s gonna take even more than Mack is getting plus a huge war chest for an elite staff behind them.
To me this team has some very specific problems, we need serious upgrades on the O-line, D-line, special teams, and we need a defensive cord that wants to be with his troops down on the field as opposed to sitting way up high like a king looking down on his lesser townsmen.

It seems like every fan base that has a legit case to be made from dreaming of more wants to go out and hire that big name coach, as we did when we brought Mack back. But ya know what those big name coaches tend to have in common? They are able to get their teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talents, they are able to out talent many of their opponents even if they are out coached. My point is they slide in to relying on the better talents as opposed to developing lesser rated talent to the degree of their guys being able to compete hard with those bigger programs. For example, look at Willie Lampkin, in my opinion our best o-lineman, developed for 3years at Coastal Carolina. Good thing to because had he come to UNC right out of high school I doubt he would even start for us, he developed at a smaller program. Maybe we should look to those smaller programs, even D-2, for teams that are ranked very strong at their level, those position coaches and coordinators that develop those 0 stars guys in to successful players? While we have the mighty Chiz, how has those 4 and 5 star guys played under his amazing guidance? Look for the guy that is developing his 0-3 star talents to the point of major programs wanting his players thru the portal? Guess what, that guy is a lot less expensive than that big name dude, I look at him and his position coaches. Look at the D-2 coaches that are producing winning defenses and you are going to find coaches that are completely involved and active in developing the guys that play for them. How much day to day involvement do you really think Mack has with individual player development, would he even know how to go about it?

Head coach at a major program is basically not much more than a manager, his cords are assistant managers, and the guys that put the real work on are the position coaches. So if those position coaches are not getting the job done it is up to the cord to deal with that, if that is not being dealt with then you look to the head coach to deal with that cord. Mack's most concerning failure in my opinion is that he has not replaced the defensive cord that needs to be replaced because his position coaches are not developing talent like we should be getting. That 5 star player that comes to you comes with the expectation that he is a day 1 NFL draftee one day but has to be developed in to being that. We are getting the name but we are not getting the development and the later is the more important aspect. Smaller program have to develop their talent because they just are not going to get the 4 and 5 star guys and we need talent development.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Always the wise advice of the basketball-onlys and basketball-firsters: just accept football mediocrity and be happy with that. You delight in that football mediocrity, and IU always will oppose it. I'm happy opposing it.

Yes, a new coach as mediocre as Mack would be opposed too, because it is not then man I oppose but his mediocrity.
Your jealousy of the success that UNC basketball has is not a good look...

Lincoln Riley seems like a guy that could use a fresh start somewhere new. Worst case scenario, we keep wasting elite QB’s

This team lost me when they lost to Virginia. That was completely inexcusable... absolutely none. I'll take losing to GT in Atlanta. But, top 10, at home against that shitty UVA team? Never should have happened.

Feel your pain and fair evaluation. That is what hurts the most. Through 6 games the improvement in the D made me believe.

Mack says players are already contacting agents and other schools to leave.

State had a player (former 4 star RB out of HS) hit the portal with 2 games left today. UNC, like every other program in the country, will lose players to the portal and then will gain players via the portal. This is the new landscape of college sports.

Mack says players are already contacting agents and other schools to leave.
Not a big deal depending on who it is that is leaving. I don't think anyone who left last year has made a big impact on their new team and they weren't really missed by us.

Head coach at a major program is basically not much more than a manager, his cords are assistant managers, and the guys that put the real work on are the position coaches.
I disagree. Staffs are huge, but many places have actual X&O studs at the helm who also know how to manage in-game situations. At a minimum, imo, the HC should be able to scout and scheme, gameplan, etc at least on one side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT