ADVERTISEMENT

All-ACC Teams - Who's On Your Teams?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Which players stand out for you for 1st, 2nd and 3rd team, freshman team, defensive team and POY?

Pomeroy lists these guys as his top 5 for ACC POY. Good place to start.

1 Marvin Bagley, Duke (Fr)
2 Wendell Carter, Duke (Fr)
3 Luke Maye, North Carolina (Jr)
4 Kyle Guy, Virginia (So)
5 Devon Hall, Virginia (Sr)

All those players look like they belong, except maybe Guy. He's good, but I don't think he's 1st team material (yet). I could be wrong.

Obviously Luke, Joel and Theo belong on some all-ACC team. But which one? Cam and Kenny deserve consideration, too - being 2nd and 5th best in the ACC on ORtg, respectively - but probably don't make the cut.

Which players stand out for you for 1st, 2nd and 3rd team, freshman team, defensive team and POY?

All those players look like they belong, except maybe Guy. He's good, but I don't think he's 1st team material (yet). I could be wrong.

I'd take Jerome over Guy

Pomeroy fortunately has nothing to do with it.

Bagley
Maye
Berry
Battle
Robinson

is what it should be.

Pomeroy fortunately has nothing to do with it.

Bagley
Maye
Berry
Battle
Robinson

is what it should be.
Battle is a chucker who is putting up empty stats. I don't think he's very deserving honestly. Bonzie being out is going to give a guy a 1st team honor that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Farrell would be a consideration if he also hadn't been injured. I feel like UVA has to get one guy on first team.

Bagley (lock)
Maye (lock)
Robinson (lock)
?
?

Berry, Guy, Hall, and Battle I guess are battling it out for the last 2 spots.

Not a lot of great options honestly for the last 2 spots - downyear for the ACC in terms of their first team.

Last year it was Jackson, Kennard, Bonzie, Collins, and Donovan Mitchell...Absolutely loaded.

Battle is a chucker who is putting up empty stats. I don't think he's very deserving honestly. Bonzie being out is going to give a guy a 1st team honor that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Farrell would be a consideration if he also hadn't been injured. I feel like UVA has to get one guy on first team.

Bagley (lock)
Maye (lock)
Robinson (lock)
?
?

Berry, Guy, Hall, and Battle I guess are battling it out for the last 2 spots.

Not a lot of great options honestly for the last 2 spots - downyear for the ACC in terms of their first team.

Last year it was Jackson, Kennard, Bonzie, Collins, and Donovan Mitchell...Absolutely loaded.
Personally, I like Hall better than Battle (Guy not so much) and he'd probably get my vote on all-around game, and honestly that should be the consideration... which is why JB should be on any 1st team. Not just his offense, but no ACC Guard brings what Joel does to the defensive end.

Reactions: JBsmoove2
Now you guys know Grayson is some how gonna show up in these lists to trip up a legitimate contender.
Grayson has no business being first team and that's coming from a Duke fan. He's averaging I believe 11 PPG on 35% FG and 25% 3PT in ACC with Bagley (so all but 4 games). He'll probably get 2nd team since there aren't many great options

If I was voting, my five would be (in alphabetical order): Bagley, Berry, Hall, Maye, Robinson. Hall was my 5th choice over Battle. UVA will land a player on there, the question is just which one.

the virginia kids offensive stats just dont scream all acc 1st team......now the entire team ought to be the All Defensive team;)........gonna go out on a limb and say bagley maye berry carter robinson

the virginia kids offensive stats just dont scream all acc 1st team......now the entire team ought to be the All Defensive team;)........gonna go out on a limb and say bagley maye berry carter robinson

It's not just about scoring. If you want to talk about his offensive stats, go ahead. He shoots 45% FG, 45% 3PT, and 91% FT... Those are ridiculous percentages for a guard. He is the best player on the best team in the ACC.

I have been impressed with Markell Johnson since he resumed play. He and Theo could be the best passers in the conference. Both a bit loose with their handle, but the assists are impressive.

What about the Rookie team?

Clearly Bagley and Carter make it. How about the other Duke frosh?

Who else? Skimming down the teams there aren't a lot of "locks" for frosh team.

What about the Rookie team?

Clearly Bagley and Carter make it. How about the other Duke frosh?

Who else? Skimming down the teams there aren't a lot of "locks" for frosh team.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker from VT and Gary Trent seem like locks for it. De'Andre Hunter I would put on there in a heartbeat as well (he's a redshirt freshman - not sure if he is allowed in the voting).

Lonnie Walker, Chris Lykes, Oshae Brissett, and Trevon Duval all have an argument as well.

It's not just about scoring. If you want to talk about his offensive stats, go ahead. He shoots 45% FG, 45% 3PT, and 91% FT... Those are ridiculous percentages for a guard. He is the best player on the best team in the ACC.

which uva kid are you referring to?
guy: 14 2 and 1
hall: 12 4 and 3

just think uva success is a team effort primarily on the defensive end....mo

which uva kid are you referring to?
guy: 14 2 and 1
hall: 12 4 and 3

just think uva success is a team effort primarily on the defensive end....mo

Devon Hall. Probably the best defender in the league and his shooting percentages are very very impressive. I think he'll get on the first team but that's just my opinion. I feel like UVA has to get one guy on there. It's a down year as far as talent in the league.

Luke would get his jersey in the rafters if he makes first or second acc team right? Or is it All American?

Ha. Just to be clear - Ty Jerome.
I personally don't see UVA landing two first teamers. I get they are a really good team, but none of them really do the stuff to land multiple guys on the first team. UVA's style is definitely a "greater than the sum of their parts" sort of thing to me. None of them really stand out on paper, which is how a lot of these things tend to go.

I really think we have the best shot of any team in the conference at two first teamers. Joel has played his best basketball of the season against ACC opponents (18.8 PPG in conference games), and Luke has continued his high level of play. We will have to see how it shakes out, but those two are better teammates on paper to make the first team than any other duo in the conference

Reactions: FranktheHeel
I don't think they will. I just think they should.
Ok, fair enough. I do think they should have multiple people on defensive teams, and across all 3, I am not sold they "should" have multiple first teamers but they did take the conference pretty handily. (Helps the teams they had to play twice in conference have a combined record of 31-37 in ACC play this year, and of the other 3 teams currently in the top 4, they only had to play one on the road)

Ha. Just to be clear - Ty Jerome.
Ty Jerome is a nice player but has no business being near first team. If UVA gets two first team guys it'll be Hall and Guy. Jerome is at least behind Berry and Farrell for best PG's in the league

Ty Jerome is a nice player but has no business being near first team. If UVA gets two first team guys it'll be Hall and Guy. Jerome is at least behind Berry and Farrell for best PG's in the league
For real. I posted previously that I figured they'd pick Battle because of his scoring and some media guys throwing Cuse a bone. But my personal pick would be Hall in his place.

Here's my personal team with rationale:
Luke - obvious. Huge numbers and makes his team better and hasn't missed a game.
Bagley - he doesn't make his team better and doesn't play a lick of D other than blocking shots via length, but his numbers are too big to be ignored.
JB - Simply the most important all-around player. League's best offensive AND defensive PG and is the face of the ACC (literally and figuratively).
Those top 3 should be no-brainers, BTW.
Robinson - dudes a warrior propping up an undermanned team.
Hall - League's best all-around wing. Plays on both ends.

For real. I posted previously that I figured they'd pick Battle because of his scoring and some media guys throwing Cuse a bone. But my personal pick would be Hall in his place.

Here's my personal team with rationale:
Luke - obvious. Huge numbers and makes his team better and hasn't missed a game.
Bagley - he doesn't make his team better and doesn't play a lick of D other than blocking shots via length, but his numbers are too big to be ignored.
JB - Simply the most important all-around player. League's best offensive AND defensive PG and is the face of the ACC (literally and figuratively).
Those top 3 should be no-brainers, BTW.
Robinson - dudes a warrior propping up an undermanned team.
Hall - League's best all-around wing. Plays on both ends.
If Joel is the face of the league, does that make Grayson the feet?

In conference play, Guy averages less than a point more per game (13.1 vs 12.4) on significantly worse efficiency (48.5% TS% vs 57.3% TS%) without the playmaking (8.3% AST% vs 28.7% TS%) and without the same contribution to their defense. He has absolutely no argument over Jerome.

All American. If he wins ACC POY, that would do it too. We'd have way more than we already have if it was first or second team All ACC ;)

I was thinking the same thing after I wrote this.

I remember watching a home game a week or so ago, and the camera zoomed in on the jerseys while whoever called the game said "in terms of history, that's probably the greatest collection of legends and talent of any school". My response: "well, of course it is!" lol.

I was thinking the same thing after I wrote this.

I remember watching a home game a week or so ago, and the camera zoomed in on the jerseys while whoever called the game said "in terms of history, that's probably the greatest collection of legends and talent of any school". My response: "well, of course it is!" lol.
Yeah, it helps to have the GOAT on that first row, but there are a heck of a lot of other players that are pretty legendary as well.

Reactions: grillheel
In conference play, Guy averages less than a point more per game (13.1 vs 12.4) on significantly worse efficiency (48.5% TS% vs 57.3% TS%) without the playmaking (8.3% AST% vs 28.7% TS%) and without the same contribution to their defense. He has absolutely no argument over Jerome.

Fair enough. I just don't see Jerome as getting first team above guys like Berry and Farrell as both are better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT