ADVERTISEMENT

App’s 40-Point Quarter A Mark Of Historic Futility For Carolina

That's a lot of really bad UNC games recalled in that article.

Being a UNC football fan is like being a Red Sox fan after Babe Ruth was traded and before this century. Which I was. You know that glory can be achieved, if only the idiots in charge could stop making the same big mistakes.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
That stat about not letting teams score 40 in a season is just another reason why firing Butch was a horrible mistake. I'll always believe that we would have at least a couple of ACC championships with him as coach.

• Love
That stat about not letting teams score 40 in a season is just another reason why firing Butch was a horrible mistake. I'll always believe that we would have at least a couple of ACC championships with him as coach.
Talk about idiots in charge making a terrible mistake: firing Butch was it.

The UNC basketball-onlys in the athletics department and administration hated Butch from the announcement of his hiring. And funny thing is that most of the same anti-Butch crowd loves Mack.

Art Chansky is far from stupid, He is all but a confessed basketball-only, and he hated Butch, but he thinks Mack is delightful. Chansky knows that Mack is bumbling and mediocre in every aspect of coaching save recruiting and charming boosters and media. Chansky knows that especially old Mack can never win the ACC.

I thought Davis was part of the NCAA violations, or he was at least the coach when they occurred.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I was at that Maryland game in 2003.. didnt seem as bad as what I watched yesterday.

He was an enormous part of the problem and was rightfully terminated.
Going to have to disagree. At worst he just didn't pay attention to what was happening. You can't tell me that the guy that cleaned up Miami all of a sudden thought it would be a good idea to pay players and set up what was essentially a phony class.

At the very least you have to admit that the way he was fired was pathetic and gave us a bad look for potential hires.

• Love
I thought Davis was part of the NCAA violations, or he was at least the coach when they occurred.
He was coach and we gained nothing by firing him. If it's not going to help you, then why do it? If you want to play big boy football, you have to play big boy football. Otherwise you get Bunting and Fedora.

• Love
He was coach and we gained nothing by firing him. If it's not going to help you, then why do it? If you want to play big boy football, you have to play big boy football. Otherwise you get Bunting and Fedora.
All I can figure is that they wanted to distance themselves from anything that could even remotely be associated with the violations. I realize Davis was nothing like Frank McGuire, but the athletic department (and school) wanted to get the people who were in charge totally out of the picture.

I don't know if it was right or wrong. We also don't know with absolute certainty that Butch Davis was ever going to bring the results you mentioned. Who knows how well he could have navigated the penalties, or how much worse they might have been had he been allowed to stay. He was 28-23 at UNC.

All I can figure is that they wanted to distance themselves from anything that could even remotely be associated with the violations. I realize Davis was nothing like Frank McGuire, but the athletic department (and school) wanted to get the people who were in charge totally out of the picture.

I don't know if it was right or wrong. We also don't know with absolute certainty that Butch Davis was ever going to bring the results you mentioned. Who knows how well he could have navigated the penalties, or how much worse they might have been had he been allowed to stay. He was 28-23 at UNC.

Why distance yourself? What exactly did that do for us? If the goal was to look better from a PR standpoint, it failed. Was it to get rid of the NCAA? Seven years later they were still there. If they thought it was going to help anything, they don't understand reality.

People have always been waiting to pounce on anything that UNC did wrong, because we were so clean, comparatively. It was always going to be a shit show. Butch's biggest mistake was hiring black Santa.

He was an enormous part of the problem and was rightfully terminated.
The great problem was AFAM allowed to run wild. Davis had 0 control over AFAM, and would have been denounced as a racist if he had told his players not to take AFAM courses. Davis also had no say about tutoring. Both AFAM and tutoring were run by Arts&Sciences.

Chancellor Holden Thorp made Davis the scapegoat. Thorp had been Dean of A&S. Very convenient of him to lay all blame on a coach. Worse, the sport with the highest percentage of its players taking those bogus AFAM classes was Women's Basketball, with Men's Basketball and Track and Field also having higher percentages taking them than did Football.

Matt Doherty, being the kind who always tells harsh truths to those who do not like hearing them, stressed to investigators that a higher percentage of black fraternity members than of even Women's Basketball players took the courses.

Yet Thorp placed all blame on Davis and football. The problem's root was not sports, much less football, but rogue academics based on group identity politics allowed to run wild for nearly 2 decades, which means it was running for many years before Davis arrived in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: Archer2

at least a couple of ACC championships? My hopes were higher than that. I think Butch was what we needed to finally move into the elite, where bigger championships are there to be had.

I don't think I'll ever get over the biggest fumble in our sports history ever. And there was no need for it unless something has gone completely undivulged. The troubles we experienced were all we needed to ensure that someone was going to start keeping a sharper eye on things, IMO.

What we could have accomplished with the proper sort of support for our football program over the years. I think about the defense that Butch patched together in no time, and then watch the Swiss cheese we put on the field now and it is almost nauseating.

And mack 2.0

Which probably contributed to his own release when the shit hit the fan.
That's not a good reason to fire him though. He was fired because the university was embarrassed and solely blamed him for that. I don't usually agree with @WoadBlue's conspiracies about UNC football, but he's not far off the mark this time.

And mack 2.0
Mack is a different story. I have no doubt that when the money guys hired him they thought they would be bringing in big time football again. In a lot of ways we did. The problem is that Mack hasn't been able to get that to translate to wins on the field. A reasonable person can admit that we are in a better place as a program thanks to Mack, but it seems like it will take someone else to bring us to the next step.

Mack is a different story. I have no doubt that when the money guys hired him they thought they would be bringing in big time football again. In a lot of ways we did. The problem is that Mack hasn't been able to get that to translate to wins on the field. A reasonable person can admit that we are in a better place as a program thanks to Mack, but it seems like it will take someone else to bring us to the next step.
Mack needs to take a hard look at his staff. Prior relationships are good but positive results are better. Talent isn’t being developed properly.

That was extremely well said about Mack. I do however, disagree with your prior take on Butch. AJ is very plugged in, and if he says Butch was rightfully terminated, I take that as Gospel.......... until you prove that you are more in the know than he is.

Reactions: heel2win
I don't know enough about the particulars to really contribute much about Butch's firing but I thought the investigation all but confirmed he didn't have direct knowledge of anything sketchy going on? I could be misremembering.

I agree that we could have been a national title contender if he had been here another 5-10 years.

I'll also contend that being a title contender (particularly before NIL) pretty much necessitated that kind of stuff. Alabama wasn't the only school with players driving crazy cars around campus. Clemson had the same thing going on and I personally know for a fact that there was virtually no point in his college career where Sammy Watkins could have passed a drug test. Of course drug testing in NCAA sports is pretty much a joke anyways. College football is about as clean of a sport as professional road cycling.

I don't know enough about the particulars to really contribute much about Butch's firing but I thought the investigation all but confirmed he didn't have direct knowledge of anything sketchy going on? I could be misremembering.

I agree that we could have been a national title contender if he had been here another 5-10 years.

I'll also contend that being a title contender (particularly before NIL) pretty much necessitated that kind of stuff. Alabama wasn't the only school with players driving crazy cars around campus. Clemson had the same thing going on and I personally know for a fact that there was virtually no point in his college career where Sammy Watkins could have passed a drug test. Of course drug testing in NCAA sports is pretty much a joke anyways. College football is about as clean of a sport as professional road cycling.
What's the go-to Clemson player's major? Parks & Recreation, I think? It's some pseudo-course that requires basically zero participation.

What's the go-to Clemson player's major? Parks & Recreation, I think? It's some pseudo-course that requires basically zero participation.

Yeah PRTM. Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management. Sociology (BA) which is a joke too. Management is another common one. That one is tougher because of the business school gen ed's (math) but still the easiest Business school major by far.

Reactions: strummingram
Going to have to disagree. At worst he just didn't pay attention to what was happening. You can't tell me that the guy that cleaned up Miami all of a sudden thought it would be a good idea to pay players and set up what was essentially a phony class.

At the very least you have to admit that the way he was fired was pathetic and gave us a bad look for potential hires.

Not going to get into the details, but trust me, he was a big part of the problem. There's a reason other major schools refused to consider him for openings.

Yeah PRTM. Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management. Sociology (BA) which is a joke too. Management is another common one. That one is tougher because of the business Soschool gen ed's (math) but still the easiest Business school major by far.
Sociology is d00k’s go to major.

Sociology is d00k’s go to major.
Every school has them, but no one wants to talk about it. It's just another example of how schools get around the "student" part of the "student athlete." Hell, I took an elective where I went to school called walking. All I had to do was literally walk around the track and keep a journal of my distance and time. Not surprisingly there were a lot of athletes in that class.

Every school has them, but no one wants to talk about it. It's just another example of how schools get around the "student" part of the "student athlete." Hell, I took an elective where I went to school called walking. All I had to do was literally walk around the track and keep a journal of my distance and time. Not surprisingly there were a lot of athletes in that class.

Gotta love those “leisure study” classes. I got to play a 9 hole par 3 a few times per week for one of them.

The great problem was AFAM allowed to run wild. Davis had 0 control over AFAM, and would have been denounced as a racist if he had told his players not to take AFAM courses. Davis also had no say about tutoring. Both AFAM and tutoring were run by Arts&Sciences.

Chancellor Holden Thorp made Davis the scapegoat. Thorp had been Dean of A&S. Very convenient of him to lay all blame on a coach. Worse, the sport with the highest percentage of its players taking those bogus AFAM classes was Women's Basketball, with Men's Basketball and Track and Field also having higher percentages taking them than did Football.

Matt Doherty, being the kind who always tells harsh truths to those who do not like hearing them, stressed to investigators that a higher percentage of black fraternity members than of even Women's Basketball players took the courses.

Yet Thorp placed all blame on Davis and football. The problem's root was not sports, much less football, but rogue academics based on group identity politics allowed to run wild for nearly 2 decades, which means it was running for many years before Davis arrived in Chapel Hill.
Yet Nyang’oro was allowed to resign and keep his pension. Crowder receives almost $2k per month from UNC to this day. No accountability whatsoever.

Sorry to derail the thread with the Butch talk, @andrew jones. I've got some pretty strong feelings about it, especially how he was fired.

I do have a question for you and this might be premium info, so just let me know if it is. Has there been any discussion about our strength and conditioning staff possibly being part of the problem? Neither of the lines have been able to get any push for a couple of years now. It seems like since it's both sides of the ball, then there is some connection between them. S&C is the only one I can think of.

Sorry to derail the thread with the Butch talk, @andrew jones. I've got some pretty strong feelings about it, especially how he was fired.

I do have a question for you and this might be premium info, so just let me know if it is. Has there been any discussion about our strength and conditioning staff possibly being part of the problem? Neither of the lines have been able to get any push for a couple of years now. It seems like since it's both sides of the ball, then there is some connection between them. S&C is the only one I can think of.

No worries, I included a Butch stretch in the piece, so it was fine inserting your thoughts as you did.

As to your question, no, I have not heard anything about that.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Better place than 2018, yes, but we were not far from rock bottom then, 2-9 with NC recruiting on the tank. On the field we still look far from 'big boy football', signing day of course sparkles and fans are at least interested.

I liked the Mack hire/reboot. It was the right thing at the time but I thought it needed to be a two or three yr stint. If recruiting stalls this yr, then he needs to find a successor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT